[DRAFT] Prohibit Private Prisons

Forilian|Europeia

Registered
Hello! I’m from Europeia, and I am submitting this here for recommendations. :)
The World Assembly,

DEEPLY CONCERNED with the adverse humanitarian effects of allowing private entities to own or operate prisons due to monetary motivations to cut running costs at the expense of prisoners' living standards,

NOTING that private prisons exist in many World Assembly nations,

APPALLED that allowing private prisons incentivizes intentionally increased recidivism rates, and

SEEKING to replace the now-repealed GAR #468, which had a commendable goal but exigent loopholes, with a resolution achieving the original's intended aim of banning private prisons,

Hereby enacts the following:
  1. "Prison" in this resolution shall be defined as a facility in which people are confined on remand or as a punishment for a crime they have committed. Home detention and probation are not included in this definition.
  2. "Operation" in this resolution shall be defined as the control and management of the daily responsibilities needed to maintain a prison facility and provide for the detainees' general welfare.
  3. “Basic civil rights” in this resolution shall be defined as the right to adequate, nutritious, and regular meals that keep prisoners in good physical health; the right to clean and adequate safe drinking water; the right to appropriate sanitation, including, but not limited to: showers, toilets, and sinks; and the right to clean clothing and bedding.
  4. No prison in a member state may be owned, wholly or in part, by a private entity.
  5. No prison in a member state may be operated, wholly or in part, by a private entity, except for the provision of supplies
  6. There shall be a transition period of three months from the passage of this resolution where all privately owned prisons are to be transferred over to the state. The state shall pay the owner of private prisons a reasonable and mutually agreed upon sum.
  7. Clarifies that member states may hire private entities to provide supplies or services to prisons, but must ensure that these supplies or services grant prisoners civil rights as defined in §3.
  8. Whole prisons may not be contracted out to private entities.

Clarifies that member states may hire private entities to provide supplies or services to prisons, but must ensure that these supplies or services grant prisoners civil rights as defined in §3.

Why we need to hire private entities? Is it the obligation of the state to provide services to prisoners?

Clarifies that member states may hire private entities to provide supplies or services to prisons, but must ensure that these supplies or services grant prisoners civil rights as defined in §3.

Why we need to hire private entities? Is it the obligation of the state to provide services to prisoners?
Some services could be contracted out potentially to save costs. Of course, there’d be strict guidelines to ensure that these services are of a high enough quality. Though I am open to reasoning about why they shouldn’t be contracted out at all, and all run by the state.

Some services could be contracted out potentially to save costs. Of course, there’d be strict guidelines to ensure that these services are of a high enough quality. Though I am open to reasoning about why they shouldn’t be contracted out at all, and all run by the state.
Save cost? We cannot assure the quality of their services

I think the premise of the proposal is good. I would note that clause 7 does not match the sentence structure of the others clauses as it begins with a verb caluse.

Would you consider companies owned by a government to be affected by this proposal or are you seeking to outlaw the private involvement in their management. I imagine there are publicly held companies that can behave similarly to a privately held company when running a prison like a business.

I think the premise of the proposal is good. I would note that clause 7 does not match the sentence structure of the others clauses as it begins with a verb caluse.
Would you consider companies owned by a government to be affected by this proposal or are you seeking to outlaw the private involvement in their management. I imagine there are publicly held companies that can behave similarly to a privately held company when running a prison like a business.
That is a very interesting point! I never thought of that angle before.
I suggest you take a look at the forum thread for a now-repealed resolution covering the same topic and the thread for its repeal. You may also want to check out these two threads for proposals to replace it:
Thank you, I will take a look

Last edited:
Well one thing you have to understand is that prisons are very expensive to run, especially with countries that are not as economically sufficient to run themselves. Private prisons are a great relief since the government will not have to pay for it (if you play the cards right), and the owner can make money by housing prisoners. Prisons can be government regulated, or even hire government employees, but having a private corporation running them can be cheaper than if the government built the prison from the ground up. The private industry would have to take care of the supplies, maintain control, fix any broken equipment etc. and the government would just pay an amount to keep prisoners in the prison until they are rehabilitated. You could write a prompt about the conditions of prisons, or how many prisons keep prisoners in longer for more money, or the restrictions put in place by nations after an inmate is freed from prison, etc.

Acqui sayeth niy,

Last edited:
Here is an updated draft:
The World Assembly,

DEEPLY CONCERNED with the adverse humanitarian effects of allowing private entities to own or operate prisons due to monetary motivations to cut running costs at the expense of prisoners' living standards,

NOTING that private prisons exist in many World Assembly nations,

APPALLED that allowing private prisons incentivizes intentionally increased recidivism rates, and

SEEKING to replace the now-repealed GAR #468, which had a commendable goal but exigent loopholes, with a resolution achieving the original's intended aim of banning private prisons,

Hereby enacts the following:

1. "Prison" in this resolution shall be defined as a facility in which people are confined on remand or as a punishment for a crime they have committed. Home detention and probation are not included in this definition.
  2. "Operation" in this resolution shall be defined as the control and management of the daily responsibilities needed to maintain a prison facility and provide for the detainees' general welfare.
  3. “Basic civil rights” in this resolution shall be defined as the right to adequate, nutritious, and regular meals that keep prisoners in good physical health; the right to clean and adequate safe drinking water; the right to appropriate sanitation, including, but not limited to: showers, toilets, and sinks; and the right to clean clothing and bedding.
  4. A "private entity" shall be defined as a company or entity that is partly or wholly owned by private citizens.
  5. No prison in a member state may be owned, wholly or in part, by a private entity.
  6. No prison in a member state may be operated, wholly or in part, by a private entity, except for the provision of supplies
  7. There shall be a transition period of three months from the passage of this resolution where all privately owned prisons are to be transferred over to the state. The state shall pay the owner of private prisons a reasonable and mutually agreed upon sum.
  8. Member states may hire private entities to provide supplies or services to prisons, but must ensure that these supplies or services grant prisoners civil rights as defined in §3.
  9. Whole prisons may not be contracted out to private entities.
  10. Prisons may be contracted out to public companies only if these are exclusively owned by a member state.

Well one thing you have to understand is that prisons are very expensive to run, especially with countries that are not as economically sufficient to run themselves. Private prisons are a great relief since the government will not have to pay for it (if you play the cards right), and the owner can make money by housing prisoners. Prisons can be government regulated, or even hire government employees, but having a private corporation running them can be cheaper than if the government built the prison from the ground up. The private industry would have to take care of the supplies, maintain control, fix any broken equipment etc. and the government would just pay an amount to keep prisoners in the prison until they are rehabilitated. You could write a prompt about the conditions of prisons, or how many prisons keep prisoners in longer for more money, or the restrictions put in place by nations after an inmate is freed from prison, etc.

Acqui sayeth niy,
I would believe that the aim of this resolution is to prevent the prison companies from making more money on more prisoners, removing the incentive for prison companies to promote/create a cause/turn a blind eye to crime.

I would believe that the aim of this resolution is to prevent the prison companies from making more money on more prisoners, removing the incentive for prison companies to promote/create a cause/turn a blind eye to crime.
I don't think it would turn a blind eye on crime, nor try to promote it whatsoever. If a private company makes money off prisoners held inside, and inmate intake, it would actually increase law enforcement presence. More arrest for crimes, and less criminals on the streets of our nations, and inside the grey cells of prisons. How could these private corporations create crime? The only crime they would create would be inside their properties, and not on the streets.

Back