TNP Nation
Deropia
Discord
Dero#2736

Notice of Absence and Activation of Speakers Office Continuity Protocols
-~-
25 March, 2020

My fellow North Pacifians,

It is with no small amount of disappointment that I must announce my temporary absence.

Due to the quickly evolving nature of the COVID-19 epidemic, my availability has become extremely limited due to the protocols being implemented to slow the progress of the disease. As of 12pm yesterday the Internet/Study Room in my apartment building was closed and the routers disconnected.

In order to ensure the continued functioning of the Speakers Office and our legislature, I must activate our internal Continuity Protocols.

As such, I am designating @St George to be Lead Deputy/Acting Speaker until I am able to return on a more stable basis. MJ is authorised to exercise any and all of the Speakers powers, including but not limited to the appointment and dismissal of Deputies.

Please contact MJ should you have an urgent request from the Speakers Office. I hope to return by Friday if everything works out the way I would like it to. If not, I will be in touch with my Deputies and other members of Government, and of course, my constituents, as frequently as possible. Until then, stay safe and stay healthy my friends.

Sincerely,
Deropia
Speaker of the Regional Assembly

MJ is authorised to exercise any and all of the Speakers powers, including but not limited to the appointment and dismissal of Deputies.

I hate to be a pill, but a deputy speaker actually cannot appoint additional deputies. Any such deputies would not be government officials, as they have not been appointed by a CMEO, and thus swear no legally binding oath. Not only has the court ruled that taking the oath for government service is required to wield any authority or power beyond introducing legislation and voting in elections; but also only government officials are subject to recall - so any non-governmental deputy-speaker, assuming such could be appointed, could not be removed from office by the public if they did not meet our standards for the job.

It's less clear whether a deputy can remove another deputy; that one is more likely to be ok but I wouldn't bet money either way.

Anyway, please stay safe and we hope to see you soon. :)

The Standing Procedures make it clear that the Acting Speaker wields all the power of the office, thus whilst you may be correct about what the courts have previously ruled, I see nothing in that that brings you to your conclusion. That is probably an issue with our laws as currently written that we should suggest.

As it is, unless there is an emergency and one of the current deputies goes missing or leaves the team, I won't be appointing deputies.

Back