TNP Nation
Gorundu
Discord
an_dr_ew
ga.jpg

Repeal: "Convention On Freshwater Shortages"
Category: Repeal | GA #441
Proposed by: Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar | Onsite Topic

General Assembly Resolution #441 “Convention on Freshwater Shortages” (Category: Environmental; Industry Affected: All Businesses - Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The General Assembly,

Applauding the noble goals of General Assembly Resolution 441, “Convention On Freshwater Shortages”,

Believing that the intentions of the resolution are thwarted by its contents,

Noting the resolution does not define “hazardous waste” in clause six and that leaving said clause up to interpretation permits more malicious and self-interested states to not honour the intent of the clause by interpreting it as:
  • A ban on the disposal of sharp (and therefore "hazardous") waste as to ignore regulations on chemical disposal as it intends,

• Barring the disposal of only certain hazards as opposed to all intended fields as a way to work around a given intent,
Cognizant that the target resolution hurts benevolent states who interpret the clause as intended as it does not permit for the disposal of hazardous wastes into waterways in cases where it may lethally endanger public health or national security if it is not disposed of,

Understanding that while detailed clarification is important in many cases it is taken to an extent that is unnecessary in several clauses throughout the resolution, as seen in:
  • Clause 2, which presents as an unnecessarily verbose clause to the detriment of interpreting nations,

• Clauses 3 and 5 which both recommend courses of action for nations and would serve better combined as one recommendation clause,
Desiring to make clear the meaning of these and other clauses via simplification and/or combination,

Wishing to honour and achieve the goals of the Convention On Freshwater Shortages in their entirety,

Encouraging World Assembly Delegations to draft more articulate and conclusive legislation with regards to unforeseen consequences of failing to define given terms and the overcomplication of commands,

Hereby repeals GA Resolution #441.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.

Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

Against. While I'm for a repeal in principle, I don't think this proposal is missing out on some of the target resolution's important flaws, and therefore doesn't make a convincing case.

For. While I agree that some important flaws are missed, the flaws adressed are in my opinion enough to justify the repeal. It also gets bonus points from me for having a good replacement ready.

For. While I agree that some important flaws are missed, the flaws adressed are in my opinion enough to justify the repeal. It also gets bonus points from me for having a good replacement ready.
The author's previous proposal would only serve as a replacement for one clause (clause 6) out of this seven-clause resolution.

For. My WA Nation is Blumeana, and I have 104 endorsements.

The resolution seems sound in it's arguments. I think it is a good idea, and that the target was a massive overstep of UN authority.

While I agree that the target resolution does have some loopholes that more sinister nations could exploit, I think there needs to be a more complete replacement resolution ready to take the place GA #441.

Against

I am going to withdraw the proposal and briefly redraft. I should have a second 100% watertight replacement up later today as well. I hope to put any fears to rest.

Is there any further advice you all could give advice to me? I appreciate anything!

I am going to withdraw the proposal and briefly redraft. I should have a second 100% watertight replacement up later today as well. I hope to put any fears to rest.

Is there any further advice you all could give advice to me? I appreciate anything!
It seems like you haven't withdrawn it yet. However, I have left feedback on the NS forum thread a few days ago. Really appreciate you coming over here though. All the best, and I hope to see it passed eventually!

For.

Because, it will clear the flaws of the water shortages proposal and authors can learn form their mistakes and make it better with the help from some General Assembly staff and then, it can be proposed again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back