Gorundu
Discord
an_dr_ew

ga.jpg

Interference-Causing Equipment Standards Act
Category: Regulation | Area of Effect: Safety
Proposed by: Greater Cesnica | Onsite Topic

The World Assembly,

Acknowledging the importance of interference-free electronic communications, especially in relation to the use of personal digital devices,

Aware that signal leakage and other badly contained electromagnetic emissions may damage critical infrastructure such as transportation and network systems,

Cognizant that improperly shielded devices may malfunction badly enough to inflict catastrophic damage upon such systems and networks, and

Seeking to define standards for digital devices which may interfere with other devices, in order to prevent damage or severe disruption of critical infrastructure due to such interference,

Hereby:
  1. Defines, for the purposes of this resolution:
    1. A digital device as an electronic device that can receive, store, process, create or send digital information,
    2. Electronic communications as the transmission and detection of communication signals and other such information, in the form of electromagnetic waves, to initiate technological functions remotely or to enable direct communication between two or more electronic transmitters or receivers, and
    3. An interference-causing device as a device that causes, or is capable of causing, interference to electronic communications
  2. Enacts the following provisions regarding interfering-causing devices and electronic communication devices:
    1. Interference-causing devices emitting a given frequency must not exceed a corresponding electromagnetic field strength value,
    2. Interference-causing devices must not significantly interfere with radiocommunications of digital devices or essential machinery,
    3. All interference-causing devices that have the potential to expose other devices or machinery to interference levels which can damage them or inhibit their use must be sufficiently shielded against such excessive levels of interference, and
    4. All digital devices covered under the provisions of this resolution must be sufficiently shielded against potential excessive levels of interference from interference-causing devices,
  3. Forbids the import, export, and distribution of interference-causing devices that violate Article 2 within and between member states,
  4. Prohibits the usage of such non-compliant devices, where they are neither:
    1. Intended for use by member state military, law enforcement, intelligence agencies, space agencies, or scientific research projects and organizations that have the approval of the state they operate in, nor
    2. "Denial-of-service devices," or devices intended to prevent cellular and wireless network communication in public settings, when deployed by any entity and authorized for use by the state that said entity operates in, and
  5. Encourages member states to establish further technical standards for digital devices in the spirit of this resolution.
Co-authored by Tinhampton

Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.

Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

Based on clause 3 and 4, it seems like we cannot export such jamming devices to other countries yet we can use them for military purpose? I get the intention of the bill but not the details in the clauses, such as the sudden usage of "denial-of-service" devices in 4.2

In article 2.4 it seems that all digital devices must be shielded from potential interference. It could prove extremely difficult to regulate each and every digital device in a nation. Also, in my opinion, it would be very difficult to properly shield a device while allowing it to receive and transmit signals for proper functioning.

Against

In article 2.4 it seems that all digital devices must be shielded from potential interference. It could prove extremely difficult to regulate each and every digital device in a nation. Also, in my opinion, it would be very difficult to properly shield a device while allowing it to receive and transmit signals for proper functioning.

Against
The clause says "sufficiently shielded", so I think it's reasonable that if a device produces very little interference, it doesn't need to be shielded at all. Also, I'd assume to regulate them, you can just pass laws requiring shielding to be added during manufacturing.
Based on clause 3 and 4, it seems like we cannot export such jamming devices to other countries yet we can use them for military purpose? I get the intention of the bill but not the details in the clauses, such as the sudden usage of "denial-of-service" devices in 4.2
I think the idea is to give governments a free pass to use it against a hostile enemy. Whether you think it's a good idea though, is up to you.

Last edited:
I think the idea is to give governments a free pass to use it against a hostile enemy. Whether you think it's a good idea though, is up to you.
So if I don't have the expertise to invent it, I cannot buy such technology (since no import and export is allowed) and have to suffer when my communication get jammed by someone with superior tech. I cannot tell if that is a good idea or not...

Also, I don't think there is a use for jamming devices or interference devices apart from warfare or censorship...so what does the proposal cover?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back