The Imperial Court (and the life of the Imperator)

Ianmey7

TNPer
Augustus: the Lawgiver, the First Tribune, the Lord of the Land and Seas, The Imperator of Ephinepi Imperium, gazed down upon his court. The leaches wanted nothing but power, there eunuchs were the worst. They did not even undergo the ceremony at a young age, all they are, are effeminate men who look to take power from those who actually hold it. They were constantly at work with the Harem, these girls look to do nothing but make their sons the chosen heir of the Imperium. It was something that disgusted him, this excess, these people they were nothing if not inconveniences to him since the death of his father years ago the Rexia Matre was breathing down his neck to find a head wife, and make a legitimate heir. This was the issue, the harem was less than adequate when it came to proper matches, they were fine but nothing that the Imperator loved to this end he was on his own.

During the night the Augustus would sneak out of the Imperial palace at times and take to the capitol city here is where at times he felt his most free, when he was with the commoners, when he was pretending to be something he was not, he felt like people did not act fake around him. There was something that was liberating to that, then one day the world changed for him, the Imperator went out with some his commoner friends to a small town near the Capitol this town was a small farming town and the Imperator sat down to drink with them he ordered his drink and saw her. Her red hair, her green eyes, and her slender frame, this was not what he would normally go for however there was something about her the Imperator couldn't help but come over to her. When he got over she looked at him and said:

"If you're going to try and talk to me I need you to understand that you're about to talk to the greatest person you'll ever meet." The Imperator was shocked, never once had anyone ever immediately tried to act as if they were superior to him in any way. When he was out normally he could hold his own amongst the guys, women were normally more reserved around him, however this one he was attracted by the energy he was getting from her.

"If you can believe it I was about to say the same thing, but I need you to know that your drink looks a little empty," he put a 20 aureus on the bar and said to the bar tender "another one for me and the lady here." The bartender shot the Imperator a dirty glare and got to it. Augustus looked at the woman and began again "So my name is Augustus I would like you to know that for the rest of the night your drinks are on me, and what is the name of the lady I am addressing?"

"My name is Beatrix, one I am not calling you Augustus the entire night your nick name is... Augi, two it looks like I'm your problem if you're buying drinks. I hope you're ready for inappropriate jokes and dark humor, because I'm the Imperatrix of that." The Imperators friends gave him the thumbs up and the group asked if he would be fine for the night, to this end Beatrix said "He's not ready for me if thats what you're asking." With that the group of men left and Augustus was left alone with the fiery Red Head in front of him. They sat down and talked, they began to joke and speak with each other for hours, as the came to around two am the bar tender came over and began to tell the pair that it was time to leave, this is when the Imperator stood up and took the bar tender to the side and showed him his Imperial identification. He told the bar tender that he needs to be quiet and told him that the bar will stay open until he decides to leave. The bar tender whispered "Your wish is my command my lord.".

After another few hours Beatrix grabbed the Imperators arm and pulled him in close, they kissed and he felt his entire world stop this was something that he hadn't felt with the haram this moment made him feel as if he had been missing something his entire life. After he pulled away he asked her if she wanted to see something that would blow her mind, to this end she said I bet you cant. The Imperator hit a button on his phone and took Beatrix outside and told her to wait, he covered her eyes and told her to wait. A few minutes later the Imperial limousine pulled up and he brought her into it, the windows were tinted so that she couldn't see the limo pulled into the secret garage in the Imperial palace he told her to keep her eyes shut until he sat her down. He told her to open her eyes and she looked around, she immediately stood up and yelled: "What are you thinking we can be arrested for this! How did you-" She stopped and put things together, "You're... you're..."

"Don't I know, now about that kiss you gave me I would like to return the favor." With that he brought her in close and kissed her after a few moments she pulled away and looked at him and whispered "If you're the Imperator then you must have a big room eh, can I see it?"

Last edited:
As the pair woke, the Imperator turned to look at the woman he was still shocked by how beautiful she was. Her red hair shined when the sunlight hit it, he was caught though, she woke up and saw him staring at her, instead of being weirded out she looked at him and said:

"What, was I snoring or something?"

The two laughed and laid with each other, her head resting on his chest, his arm over her shoulders pulling her in. They laid joked and enjoyed their mornings, this was until a banging was heard on the door. The Imperial minister of intelligence was on the other side, he looked concerned in a hushed voice he said,

"My Lord, the whole court is talking about a commoner being brought into the Imperial palace. Apparently your mother has eyes in more places than we originally thought, she's not the issue here, its the rest of the court. The eunuchs are calling for you to explain and have this girl publicly shamed, some of your fathers children from other women are starting to question your leadership. I know that she is, trust me I've gotten her entire bio from the state security. However, what should I tell them?"

"The court will listen to me, wether they wish to or not. I still hold the supreme executive power I am still the master of the court and my voice is still law, I want you to tell the Pretorian guard Centurion to prepare the court to hear a decree from me. I grow sick and tired of their incessant power grabbing, the court needs to be put in its place!"

As the minister of Intelligence was sent out, the Imperator turned into his room and looked at the woman he had brought home lying in his bed. He was nervous, he had to act strong in the face of his court lest he become little more than a pawn to them, however he did not want to scare this person away. He said:

"If you want to leave feel free, I do not want to be the person keeping you here. I had a great time."

"Yeah, I don't think I'm ready for whatever that is... I really want to do this agin though, I want to hangout with you more often."

With that the pair showered and got ready for the day, he got into a marshals uniform and waited for her. He had given her some of his more comfortable clothes in which to leave in. To make a point before his speech to the court though he brought her to the royal garage through the throne room. Making sure that all of the lords and ladies could see them, all of his siblings, all of the eunuchs and the Harem. He took her to the garage, kissed her and then had the driver take her directly home.

"Here is my number please text me when you arrive safely at your home, if he doesn't I'll have to kill him."

"Will do Augie."

As she drove away the Imperator came back upstairs burst into the throne room and marched right up to the throne where he sat down, and looked at his court.

"You all, have no legal power. You all are here to advise me, you all serve no duty to anyone besides me. You can not help the people, you can not raise armies and you can not pass legislation. I keep you at my palace for the sake of tradition and culture however I will not be questioned like this. Should I choose to have a commoner then I am allowed, should I choose to see a commoner than I am allowed. I have an Imperial government at my side, you have my opinions of you backing you. Now what do you have to say to your Imperator?"

"My lord." A voice comes from the back, it is of one of the heads of the original families. "What is it you seek to do, slander the name of your family? Do you seek to bring some low born gene into your great pool? You have so many women in the Harem why must you find this country bumpkin to fit your needs?!"

"Lord Fravilli I should have known you would have issue, let me say. I will continue because I can, as Imperator and as my own man I will continue. She will be around the palace more often so I suggest you all get used to it. Oh and, hence forth I abandon all ties to my former wives. Their children will remain as mine, however I no longer want a haram, also the eunuchs need to go, they will no longer be allowed to approach me or any future imperator on the throne."

The Imperator stood, as everyone gasped and bowed. Then he walked out of the room, as he was leaving the court was trying to get his attention however all he heard was yelling blurred together. A legate walked up to Augustus, the Legate was a few years older than him a rather quick promotion in the Imperial military. "Sir, I do think that you made the best call. Also the girl, I like how she looks I'll want to know more!"

Augustus began to walk with the man "Let me tell you Marcus, she was fun all around. She is beautiful too....."

Augustus was sitting in his office going over proposed reforms to the Imperial revenue services, a few days had passed since Beatrix had seen him last they were in contact but nothing major had happened yet. Then he got a text:
Auggi I'm in Dominum, and I need your help. I don't have my car and need you to drive me to meet my mother

This was something that the Imperator had never experienced before, his life had been around women of a higher social standing than her so there was never this level of informality to things. He of course agreed and went to his car. The driver tried to get in, but the Imperator said no. He got into his car and drove to Beatrix, she had been walking around and smoking with her friends, this was something that the Imperator wanted to avoid. If anyone saw him pickup a bunch of commoners who were high, there would be a media disaster it was already hard to hide the fact that he was seeing a commoner so he did not allow for her friends to have much contact with him at the moment.

Once she was in the car she looked him and said: "My mom is by the old Circus Maximus, she wanted to give you something because you've been so nice to me."

"You're close with your mom then?" Augustus said smiling at her, he was also close with his mother and always thought that it was something important in a persons life.

"Well, I kinda have to be since I live with her. College life wasn't for me so I moved back home."

"Why wasn't it for you?"

"First year kicked my ass."

"Where did you go?"

"University of Northern Aplania."

The Imperator recognized it, due to the university scoring low in many categories and having reprimanded the president of the university for poor leadership. He did not care though, Beatrix seemed to be smart just not willing to apply herself. So he drove up to the Circus Maximus, and parked next to Beatrix's mother she walked over and Augustus got out to shake her hand. When the mother saw who her daughter had brought she gasped:

"Well I knew that Beatrix was seeing someone with a lot of money, just not like this!"

She began to do the normal procedure for seeing the Imperator, but he stopped her:

"That wont be necessary, I don't like that whole thing unless I am in a formal situation. Now (He looked at the container) this pulled pork looks fantastic! I cant wait to try it, I think its time that we leave though. I don't want the whole Empire to burn down while I'm gone!"

While driving home, he was nervous. He wanted something real with her which is something that he's never had before, so he was not willing to try anything at the moment he had finally found someone that he was scared of. When they pulled into the Imperial palace he again walked with her through the throne room and asked her if she would like to sit and watch the Imperial court in action. She did and he called all of the members of the court into the Throne room. They stood there in shock as a commoner was sitting on the throne while the Imperator was standing next to her. He looked out at his court and with a booming voice he said:

"This is Beatrix, she is the commoner you all had the issue with should you have an issue now is the time to say something. If you do not say anything then I would suggest that the complaints stop." The Imperator looked out into the crowd of shocked faces and one person stepped forward:

"Your Highness you are making a mockery of the Imperial royal family and if you continue down this path I would think it would be best if you step down for your Brothers."

"What you just said is treason Gaius, I would suggest that such words not be used in my presence."

"You stand here with a degenerate, with a liberal. You expect me to fear your words, I laugh at any authority you think that you hold. You are no better than a commoner yourself if you lay with this whore! I would like to engage in the rights of the sanguine cult, I challenge you to Honoris certamen! I name your brother Julius as the benefactor of my combat."

"Very well, if my decisions mean this much to you then we shall fight. I warn you though, you also invoke the wrath of the Bellator right. You have challenged a friend and comrade to combat, you have betrayed the rights of Dingus and I will forgive you when this is over."

The court was silent as both parties left, Beatrix and Augustus into the Royal chambers, while Gaius left into the main halls. There was to be combat in the next few days and the sanguine cult did not allow for both parties to come out alive. All that Augustus could think of though was the loss of a friend, Gaius and the Imperator had grown up together the big difference was that Gaius had grown to be conservative to a T and become very involved in the sanguine cult. Gaius had taken to the ultra right and the political differences became a major contesting point between the two, it was going to bubble over at some point and Gaius could not handle it any longer. Augustus sat on his bed and thought of the good times with Gaius and dreaded what was going to happen.

Augustus sat awake, he had not slept much during the previous night. Every time he fell asleep he would see in his dreams his mother and Beatrix crying over his body as it was laid to rest, he looked over to make sure that Beatrix was still there. Augustus had long wanted to act in order to bring a new age to the Imperium, this was his time. Though there was a no joy in the prospect of what he had to do, during the military academy and college Gaius had become a good friend of the Imperator. The two however had split when it came to politics, Gaius had began to listen to the teachings of the Ferrumante party. Gaius called for the abolition of Democracy and the empowerment of the head of the Party. Augustus knew that his friend was still in there, and there was a honorable defeat clause in the Bellum ceremony if Augustus could disarm Gaius and then his friend could swallow his pride then maybe this could end with both of them alive.

The morning came and so too came the servants, they opened the doors and brought food for the couple. Augustus had managed to get in total an hours rest, Beatrix noticed his look and grabbed him:

"Auggi, I know that he means a lot to you. You don't have to do this to protect me, I'm not some little water Lilly I can stand up for myself."

"This isn't just about you, this is about me being given the respect that I deserve as the Imperator. I would do anything for you, trust me but right now I need to act to preserve my crown and the little respect that I have! One year can only get me so far, I constantly hear how I do things different from my father. Well yes! I am my own man and I want these people to finally listen instead of question me when I make a decision."

She kissed him, after a moment she looked him dead in the eyes where they stayed for a moment

"You aren't your father, but the people already love you. You have done more for us than the last four Imperators, I believe in you."

With that Augustus got up and began to get his apparel together, the Lorica Segmentata (chest armor) was made of Black Steel and ornate with gold trimmings. The gold was put on to show the riches of the Imperium, after the Syrixian war next came the head, to this end a simpler version of the golden laurel crown was adorned. The Gauntlets and Greaves these were in the same design as the chest armor, finally came the sword the sword that had been used by the Imperators since the year Five Hundred. This sword has been in personal combat, has been in wars where thousands died and has been used for ceremony. Today was the day that once again it would come to blows in anger, this had not happened to an Imperator in One hundred years. Augustus sat there lookin at the Gladius thinking of what he had to do, there was a knock at the door. It was the Sanguine Priest, he looked to the Imperator and said:

"The Blood God demands his tax."

Augustus took Beatrix by the hand and walked her into the throne room, the hallway seemed longer than usual the doors were opened by the Pretorian guard. They were in their traditional uniforms, a sign that the old ways were to be enacted today. The Imperator sat on his throne and yelled to the crowd:

"Who be the man that would seek to challenge his master, let him step forth and receive what he looks for!"

"I come forth as the challenger, I am Gaius of the house Clavine and I seek satisfaction for the erroneous ways of the current head of state. Let him step fourth and prove his strength!"

The Imperator stood from his throne, he walked up to one of the Consuls and said "Should I be killed, I name my son Julius as heir to the Imperium."

Then the priest banged his staff three times, he uttered the words of the Bellum ritual "Viri sánguinum, et solvo vos mortem." ( May the bloody death set you free.)

The Pretorian Legate Marcus Dicaus told the rest of the guard to stand down and the fight began.

The pair stood there for a moment, the white armor of Gaius stood in direct contrast with the Black armor of the Imperator. The two circled until Gaius made the first swipe it was blocked and then the Imperator returned in kind. The two began a back and fourth like this for a good five minutes, this was broken when Augustus managed to knock the sword out of Gaius's hand. Gaius then lunged at the Imperator tackling him to the ground, after a brief wrestling match Gaius was on top and he began to beat the Imperator. Augustus lied there in between blows trying to think of a way to get out of the situation he was in, he lied there until he saw where his sword was. Gaius had in his moment of victory forgotten to see where Augustuses sword had fallen, Augustus reached his arm stretching to its utmost extent and managed to grab his blade. There was a pause and in that pause Augustus thought of his situation, he thought of his friendship and then swung his sword. His blade pierced the back of Gaius he fell on top of Augustus and began to speak, but his voice was a hushed tone.

"I... I didn't want this. I-I just wanted to try and save the nation. I'm sorry Augustus, I'm sorry. Please, please get my mother over here. I-I-I want to see her before I go."

Augustus obliged his friends request and sat him up and had him look at his mother. He said his good byes and then said: "Take the sword out, I don't want to keep the afterlife waiting any longer."

At this point Augustus had tears in his eyes, took the sword out of his friends back. Gaius fell back on him, laying across his legs Gaius bled all over Augustus, his legs became drenched with the blood of his friend. Augustus sat with his friend he was slowly going pale. Augustus looked down at his friend and before he left he told him:

"I forgive you."

With that Gaius moved on to the other side, Augustus stood up and immediately walked back to his chambers. Beatrix followed him and when they entered the room Augustus was already taking off his armor he had gotten the Lorica Segmentata off and was beginning to turn on a shower so he could get the blood off. Once he had undressed and gotten in he was shortly joined by Beatrix who hugged him from behind, she said to him:

"The rest of the day is for you. Tell me what you want and I'll do it."

He turned and kissed her before saying:

"I just want today to think, but please stay with me."

Last edited:
Augustus lay awake at night, he couldn't help but look at the woman who was next to him, her red hair, her green eyes and everything about her made him weak. Augustus put his hand in her hair to just to remind him of how lucky he was that someone had made him feel something. He thought back to who he used to be, when he was in college he went from woman to woman in the attempt to fill the void without real connection. Then this wonderful person entered his life and it all melted away, he felt something that he hadn't before was it love? Did he know how to love? Augustus thought he did, he had had several serious relationships before but he now could see their flaws. The harem had never provided him with real happiness, instead this one woman had. Augutus rolled over and grabbed her lying there in his arms she pushed back into him and finally he fell asleep.

When morning came there was official business to do, like always Augustus told the royal attendants to leave him alone and he got himself ready. First a shower, then the decision on whether or not to shave, Beatrix likes scruff but the hairs can be annoying on his face. He decided not to shave and brushed his teeth, next to put clothes on. He had heard other monarchs had people help them get dressed, he thought what sort of man allows someone to get him ready for the day? He found a pair of suit pants he paused and thought:

Am I sure that these are clean? After giving the good old sniff test he again thought Bingo.

He found an undershirt and put it on, then the hard part was his dress shirt ironed, he hated ironing and would avoid it at all costs. He found it, and to his utter horror it was wrinkled. In this moment of absolute horror Augustus remembered the one benefit of having attendants and called them in. He looked at them fear still rocking his face:

"I need you guys to Iron this shirt, I need it as quickly as possible when you're done please bring it back to me."

After they left, Augustus again waited, this time he wanted to speak with his lovely girlfriend. He moved over to the bed and he again grabbed her and pulled her in close. This time she woke up and asked what time it was, Augustus replied 9:30 and she began to move. She had her jobs she had to go do, and Augustus respected her. He respected not expecting to live off of his money, but he would give her anything if she simply asked for it. She got up and did her morning routine before running up and hugging Augustus from behind.

“Please try not to kill any of your General staff today, I know you hate them but we want to win the war against Yamantau right? If you play nice today I’ll reward you later!”

She began to leave the room when Augustus asked:

“And what would that be?”

“If you’re a good boy you’ll find out!” She replied as she left.

There Augustus waited for his shirt to come back, it seemed like an eternity. Eventually it happened, the doors opened and Augustus ran up to grab the shirt. He said his thank yous and then told the staff that they could go and do what they wanted the rest of the day. Augustus put on the shirt and got his tie on, there was an attempt after attempt to get the tie just right. Several times outside in hallway there was an audible “FUCK THIS SHIT!” heard outside in the hallway. After what seemed to be an immense amount of time he finally got it and put on his suit jacket, buttoned the button and made his way to his first task of the day. He always dreaded it but he needed to go to the war room.

Augustus was sitting down and was bored out of his mind when his friend Cassia sent him a message, she was out at a bar and wanted him to come and join him. Augustus while wanting to continue with the war effort was someone who valued his free time. So when the meeting was adjourned he began to quickly move for his vehicle to go and meet her for drinks. The two friends indulge themselves to the extent that a royal allowance would allow, the two racked up a bill of one thousand Aureus. Augustus and Cassia stood up to leave for the night, they waddled to his royal limo and Augustus told the driver.

“Go to where Beatrix works, I want to surprise her.”

“Ohhhhh, I-I wanted to meet your girlfriend Aug. T-This will be fun.” Cassia responded the two continued to drink in the back seat, telling stories of when they were younger. Cassia told Augustus about how happy she was with her boyfriend and about life.

The Limo then waited an extra thirty minutes for her shift to end, Beatrix insisted that Augustus did not use his influence to get her a better job. She was someone who liked to do things for herself, so she was surprised when she saw Augustus outside her place of work leaned up against the limo. Augustus started with:

“Hey pretty lady, you need a ride?”

“Well it depends, am I getting a royal treatment today?” Beatrix responded.

“When do I give you anything but that?” Augustus tried to play it cool, but the alcohol got to him. Beatrix could smell it, she paused and looked at him; she smiled an evil look.

“Auggi be honest with me, did you drink a lot tonight?”

“I mean, I went drinking but I don’t think I’m very drunk.” Augustus lied through his teeth.

“Oh then you remembered it's my mothers birthday and we need to go over there like right now.” She looked at him eyes wide and all innocent.

“Oh shit, I’m so sorry I mean, yeah lets go.” Augustus slurred his words and grabbed her hand and tried to get in the car as quickly as possible. She fought back and said:

“You big dummy, it’s not her birthday I just wanted to see if you were lying! You stupid drunk.”

She leaned in and kissed him this is when Cassia poked her head out of the limo and yelled:

“Get in the car and stop being gross, I want to meet the hot girl outside so I can actually talk to someone interesting!”

“Sorry Beatrix, my friend is with me. She can kinda be a lot.” Augustus was visibly worried but Beatrix was on top of the situation.

“Move over, she looks like fun, stop being boring and get in the damn car!”

Augustus gulped loudly, now he had brought together women who he loved in different ways and he was going to experience the chaos. As he ducked into the vehicle the two women were already in the throws of conversation. Augustus simply let them talk, his drunk mind drifting off to other things. As he sat there thinking for what seemed like twenty minutes he heard the two singing very loudly, he knew if it was Cassia and another one of their friends he would be annoyed. Seeing Beatrix as happy as she was brought Augustus nothing but joy, he loved seeing her happy it was something that he wished he could see every day. Cassia also looked happy, so Augustus just smiled and continued to gaze out of the window. The car eventually got to Cassia’s manor and she got out, this is when Beatrix turned and kissed Augustus.

“Auggie why didn’t you tell me your friend was so much fun?! You should have brought me to hangout with her earlier. But let's get back to your place, you might be kinda drunk but you always look good in that suit.”

As they pulled into the palace Augustus began to make his way to his room. Beatrix was holding his hand as they climbed the stairs, they kissed in front of his door as they opened it, the pair slid into the bedroom and the next thing heard was the door locking.

A meeting of the senate was called.

Augustus was requested before the senate to deliberate amongst the senators on a most important subject, the FSO had declared that Epiphani Pizza is not a pizza. This insult on the culture of the Epiphani was causing quite the uproar amongst the people. Augustus was more calm as he got himself ready, there was no need to have this blow out of proportion this was his thought until the car ride to the Senate house. The streets were lined to protestors holding signs and throwing things. The people were furious but Augustus had to make a hard decision, the Epiphani was importing most of the food needed to keep people alive. The high populations of the Epiphani meant that there was no way that the lands of the Imperium could maintain the population. The Epiphani needed the FSO but the people were furious.

"The FSO must be destroyed!" Crassius Areluius Julia yelled from his seat, he was a member of the Tutum Domus party (Ultra nationalist) "They insult our culture and expect us to sit idly by? I say NAY we must act and denounce the decision made by the FSO and cease trade with the members who voted yes!"

"Honorable senator!" A member of the Optimatium (Conservative) party spoke up:

"I love Umbrial traditions as much as the next guy, however I must deny the call to action. Sure Epiphani pizza is the best kind of Pizza, however what are we going to make the pizza out of if we stop trade with Prydania? With Predice? You sir forget that our population is among the highest on Eras, the population of 130 million Epiphani, Umbrials and immigrants relying on US to make decisions in order to have them live their best lives. What will they say when the shock of having one of our favorite foods dies down and people are dying of starvation? What will people do then, his highness will be to blame." Octavian Vrulis Sulla remained standing, he looked over to his counterpart and stared at him. The two men began to move down the steps and got onto the senate floor, Augustus was sitting in his chair and continued to as the yelling of the room got louder than the consuls banging their gavels. This continued until Augustus grew tired of it and drew his Gladius and threw it on the floor. The loud sound of the steel hitting the floor made everyone go quiet.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, if you want to fight in these chambers while I am here please by all means use this. It seems to me that you forget that we are at war. It seems to me that you think that we could afford to not have food while at war. If you are convinced that you wish to condemn the FSO I will be telling the people that it was your choice to stop the food imports. Now please sit down and talk. I want to hear what the action case has to say.

"Um, your highness I would like to say that the culture of our nation is the most important part..."

"More than food Crassius?!" Octavian yelled from his seat.

The senate roared in laughter. The consuls began to get the senate in order and a vote was called. It was voted to do nothing about the FSO's ruling.

Octavian walked up to Augustus and the pair began to walk out of the senate house together. As they entered the hall leading to the exit of the senate house Augustus looked at his friend:

"Remember when I was a freshman at university and you were a junior and I was the biggest degenerate that came in that year. Well I think you'll be happy to know that I found a girl that I am happy with. Better than the one girl Antonia. Remember her, one of my old roommates."

The two laughed as they exited the senate house. Their loud and jovial conversation could be heard as they got into the Imperial car. Octavian looked at his friend:

"Augustus, how are you handling the war? I know you hate having to deal with Generals but how are you doing?"

"Well, I have been at the helm of planning our offensives when we break through the current location. I'm hoping to encircle large parts of the Yamanta military, but we'll see. We'll see. The two continued to talk as they were driven to the Imperial palace.

Lupercalia was one of the biggest holidays in the Imperium, there were people about and happy crowds were forming around dancers and food vendors. As night came there would be more adult themed celebration, it was after all a fertility holiday. Augustus stood out on his balcony and prepared for the nights activities, the high priests of the Sanguine Cult were out they would only ever come out at night. They were old, some would even be considered ancient, there were rumors however they were just rumors.

It was a fertility holiday and Augustus was stuck waiting for the parade to end instead of being with his woman, but he understood that his Royal duties came first so he stood and watched as hundreds of people would march by. Floats would pass that would have people dancing painted in red paint. The paint was something that changed in the 60's when it was determined that blood was a little too risky to coat people in. The Dancing was supposed to bring about a bounty of births in the coming months, women were the ones who would dance men on the floats were supposed to whip them with leather bands to symbolize... Augustus didn't even know. He was Pontifex Maximus but he couldn't know all of the damned traditions that were in his religion. So Augustus continued to watch, the parade continued to march on and on. In the background Augustus could hear the jubilations of people who were out and about, street carts were selling gyros (and Epiphan favorite), sausages, and most importantly booze. Couples would go around and enjoy a nice meal before going out and having a wonderful night. It was one of the more fun days if you were also single, plenty of opportunities to meet someone. People always seemed happy, that was except for the royals. Sure Imperators would have their fun, but the duties were what came first.

Augustus was trying to enjoy the holiday, but as the situation in the world evolved so too did his mindset. A year ago there would not have been an issue, however the war in Yamantau rages on and now the Rayvostokians were joining the LP. The General staff was constantly on him, Augustus had helped plan the invasion of Yamantau and was constantly in briefings with the General staff but he wanted to do what he loved. What he loved was slimming the ancient law codes, but that was impossible. Where other nations had nobles that are petty squabblers, the Imperium has Generals and Senators. These people profited off the fear of a nation that wanted to spread the world wide revolution, it was disgusting to Augustus. His thoughts on the matter were racing until Beatrix grabbed his shoulder, he snapped out of it he was back to the present and he had to maintain positive expression. The parade was almost over and the finale, the technicians in the palace grounds were about ready to shoot off the fireworks and Augustus in a show his celebration of the holiday pulled Beatrix in and kissed her. This was a tradition that has gone back since the parade first started, people for some reason care about the royals love life and he was happy to just be done with what he considers to be a waste of time.

Now Augustus had to prepare to go to Yalkan, there was a situation arising about a potential port lease. This part of the job was what Augustus enjoyed, the war was bland and while he may be talented at strategy it was boring to him. He practiced his points in his chambers, pacing back and forth while Beatrix listened to his points. Augustus had a fire in his eye, his enemy was Goyanes they chose to challenge the Imperium. He wanted to represent his nation, no his people in the best way he could. It was around 11 when he and Beatrix left the balcony, it was customary for the Imperator to throw a party for the Senators, Generals, and rich. It was beginning downstairs but Augustus needed to make sure that he was prepared, Beatrix was clearly wanting to get the night started and she hugged him from behind and started rocking as if to dance. At first Augustus was trying to continue his work, but then she made the comment:

"I've listened to you make the same point over and over again for an hour, people are wanting for us downstairs. I will listen to you all day tomorrow, I'll tell the guards to have the generals leave you alone but tonight I want you to have fun with me. You've been so stressed, you are either with your Generals or trying to get your points, deals or whatever ready to go in Yalkan. For tonight please be with me."

With that Augustus dropped his paper, he loved her. Had he forgotten to make time for someone he loved? This was the holiday of love, so he decided to put the work away and spend his time with her. The duo made their way downstairs and went to go and have a wonderful night together.

Back