This Will End in Fire [invite-only]

OOC: Because of a lack of motivation and also RL stuff taking up our time, I and @Nogori have decided to just wrap this thread up so we can move on. This will be a massive overview post.

The Sovereignty War

November - December, 2020
The Sovereigntist forces under the leadership of the Kaludgarian military arrived at Karthied on November 27th, 2020. The forces quickly took control of the towns on the western side of Lake Erde, and shelled the Esplandian capital the following evening. Warden General Raemond Drakosta rushed his forces from Losssernaum northward. His forces crossed the Klaervatter, even as Kaludgarian forces swung around the northern shore of the lake and attacked the capital.

On December 2 the Battle of Karthied began. The Esplandian defenders hold Northgate, heavy fighting ensued as the civilians were evacuated from the city. Emperor Irwin decided he would remain to defend the capital with his forces, and oversee the defenses around Blaegfjurd Palace. The Kaludgarian forces crossed the Klarvatter to the south of Lake Erde on December 4, attacking the capital from the south.

Overhead the Kaludgarian and Alstengeord air forces duked it out with Esplandia’s air force. Raemond Drakosta was delayed in his race to relieve the city by Kaludgarian forces marching to meet him.

Meanwhile in the west, Major General Akiva Rami led the Iraelian Forces and the Huskavrals against the Saegsen and Alstengeord force that had dug in at Thalgundburn, hoping to break their lines and push them back to Kynnafen. The battle went easily as the Sovereigntists had already pulled their forces back, fortifying their position along the Saldjegvatter river.

Merregwuold, despite the loss of the majority of its forces, continued to fight against Albrekt’s forces. Duke Gaston and his remaining forces continued to fight and hold off the invaders in the mountainous terrain of central Merregwuold. The Hjenovak supplied Gaston’s resistance during this time, and in retaliation Albrekt marched his forces into Anfallith and occupied the city. The Hjenovak League in response, declared war against Saegsen and then the rest of the Sovereigtists.

The battle of Karthied raged on until December 12th when Austalgothan relief forces arrived in Esplandia and the Kaludgarians chose to fall back. They were driven back south, into the Dalkaegns, where they at last chose to dig in.

As the Kaludgarian forces pulled away from the bloody fighting in Karthied, Lothel-Dutian forces, supported by Alstengeorders marched into Hastenfrakta, taking the city of Elborhaem. Alstengeorder forces also pushed northward through Aerndreffed taking Gweddon and marching into Austalgotha. They met up with the Lothel-Dutian advance and pushed towards Bostfrith, but were pushed back by Austalgothan forces supported by Syrixian troops which had been sent to help defend their allies.

January, 2021
A second front in Hastenfrakta was opened on January 3 as Lothel-Dutian forces attacked Mindolrath. The battle lasts for three days before the Lothel-Dutians are forced to retreat. The Hastenfraktan army pushed the Lothel-Dutians back to their Lothel capital and on January 19th, tallaerngard is captured and most of the Lothelander forces surrender.

Austalgothan forces, along with the Syrixian units supporting them, push the Alstengeord forces back into Aerndreffed. On January 21st the city of Gweddon was liberated. Duke Edwin pulled his forces from Hastenfrakta and began fortifying his position against the Hastenfraktan advance.

Meanwhile, the Esplandians continued to fight the Kaludgarians in the Dalkaegns, but the fighting was intense and little ground was gained. The Esplandian navy won numerous engagements against the Kaludgarian navy in the Bay of Dolphins. On January 19th, even as Hastenfraktan forces were assaulting Stallaerngard, the Royal Esplandian Navy won a decisive victory against the Kaludgarian forces near Askardeg.

The defeat of the Kaludgarian naval forces left the entire peninsula open to Federation forces. But a more immediate response from the communists of Daelfen was that on January 27th they declared war on the mainland Kaludgarians.

Akiva Rami began his attack on Saegsen and Alstengeord defenses along the Saldjegvatter on January 31, a multipronged attack against the numerous beachheads of Sovereigntist forces on the eastern side of the river. His ultimate goal was to retake Kynnafen and cross over into Saegsen.

February, 2021
As the fighting raged on across the Vestrugat, Katharin Drakosta, the wife of President Winegar, covertly crossed the border into Esplandia. She returned the body of Emperor Sherwin, her brother, so he could be buried at Rathberg with his ancestors. The ceremony was small and kept secret from the public, with only Katharin, her nephew Irwin, and a handful of witnesses there. Katharin then returned to Kaludgar.

On January 12th the Federation forces launched a coordinated assault against Sovereigtists positions. Akiva Rami liberated Kynnafen by the day's end. Two days later Esplandian forces marched into the Rolk and met up with the Austalgothan-Syrixian forces and retook Pogwe. Aerndreffed was now free of Alstengeorder forces.

Hastenfrakta pushed into Dutia and assaulted Adorn Korm. A week of intense fighting passed but the city fell on the 21st. Duke Edwin, seeing which way the war had gone and fearing what would happen if he was captured by Hastenfrakta, surrendered unconditionally to Esplandian forces.

Meanwhile, the Daelfen communists begin a naval landing on the Kalud Peninsula. Esplandian forces pushed against the Kaludgarian defenses at Askardeg and Eorasflud. Unable to withstand the combined assault, the Kaludgarian lines broke and their forces retreated from the Dalkaegns.

Akiva Rami continued his push into Saegsen, crossing the river and capturing Naedervik. Esplandian and Hjenovak naval forces pushed into the Whispering Sea, defeating the remnants of Kaludgar’s and Alstengeord’s navies. Albrekt, realizing he couldn’t hold Meregwuold and defend Saegsen, pulled his troops back east to meet Rami’s forces.

Sigurt meanwhile continued to fight against the Esplandian and Austalgothan advance in Aerndreffed, but his forces were pushed back as Hastenfrakta had now joined their own forces with the other Federation forces. Esplandian and Iraelian forces had also crossed the Saldjegvatter near Hesselbau. By March 1st Alstengeord had fallen back to Nalgorleth and prepared to defend their capital.

March, 2021
On March 9th, with Saegsburg surrounded and most of his forces caught fighting in the west of the principality, Prince Albrekt surrendered to the Federation forces. He was taken into custody by Akiva Rami, and the Iraelian general quickly set about occupying Saegsen and subduing the last bits of resistance.

The Battle of Nalgorleth began on March 11th. Sigurt’s forces threw everything they had against the Federation forces and much of the outer city was destroyed in the intense fighting. Federation forces were forced to disengage and regroup, and on the 14th they began their second assault. The defenders were pushed back towards the city center. On March 21st the Alstengeorder forces, beaten and demoralized, surrendered unconditionally.

Prince Sigurt however was nowhere to be seen, as he had fled the city in secret. His current whereabouts are unknown.

Meanwhile the battle in Kaludgar was also going in the favor of the Federation. The Talamnic forces of Daelfen had marched swiftly across Kaludgar, facing little resistance. The Kaludgarian military by this time had collapsed, and many of their forces were surrendering to the Federation.

The last bit of resistance was in Daegkantelburn, where Winegar was leading the defense. Esplandian forces were now racing to reach the city before the communists. On March 23rd Esplandia began shelling the capital, followed by an assault on the city the next morning. During the long hours of the night, Elder Raedgar and the organization called Raethur’s Faithful, lead a coup against the Kaludgarian leadership and seized control of the government. The fighting comes to an end when Kaludgarian leadership formally surrenders. Raedgar leads the negotiations as the new de facto leader of the country. It is believed that Winegar was killed in the shelling, but no body is ever recovered. The Federation forces began occupying the country.

The Daelfen communists arrive near the capital and negotiate a peace with the Federation forces. The Federation agrees to nominally recognize Daelfen’s independence, and Daelfen will get a voice in whatever post-war government that is set up in Kaludgar. On March 27th, Emperor Irwin officially declared the war to be over.

“The Witangamot is demanding blood.”

Irwin simply acknowledged the words. He was exhausted from the many sleepless nights of the last few weeks. But they’d won and soon his wife and daughter would be returning from Goyannes. That’s all he could think about.

“They want Albrekt tried and hung.”

Irwin sighed, turning at last to face the High Chancellor. “And what about you, Raum? Is that what you want?”

Raum clenched his jaw and then answered simply, “yes.”

Irwin rubbed his temples, fighting down a headache. “He was my father. I should be the angry one wanting to see his murderers punished. I want this to be over with. No long drawn out trials. No delays. Justice. But that can’t be the kind of emperor I become. How would my father react?”

“So a trial, then?”

Irwin nodded. It was what had to happen. Albrekt was already blaming the whole war on Sigurt and Winegar. And with one dead and the other fled, who was left to argue with his claims?

The intercom on his desk buzzed. “Your uncle, Prince Raemond, has arrived.”

Raemond entered the office a few moments later, dressed in the uniform of the Warden General. He bowed to Irwin and then shook Raum’s hand.

“It was a hell of a victory speech,” Raemond told his nephew, remarking on the words he had spoken before the Witangamot earlier that day. “Your father would be proud.”

Irwin thanked him for his words. “We have a lot to do over the next few weeks. The matters of what to do with Saegsen and Alstengeord. Do we strip all titles from the rebel nobility? Do we disband their legislatures? Do we reorganize them?”

“Whatever you decide, Your Majesty, the military will be ready to carry out your orders.”

“We have no doubts about that,” Raum replied. “You have proven yourself and led us to victory. We owe you a great debt.”

“Why do I feel the other foot is about to drop?” Raemond asked.

“I’m sure you’d like to stay on as Warden General of the Vestrugat’s armed forces, but there is another position I need you to fill.” He pulled out a paper on which was written an imperial decree and passed it to his uncle. “As part of their peace agreement, likely motivated solely to keep their positions of power, the Presidium of Kaludgar has agreed to reorganize the country into a new monarchy. One to be ruled over by a monarch of my choosing. A member of the Royal House of Drakosta.”

Irwin held out his hand to his uncle. “Congratulations, your highness. How does King Raemond of Kaludgar sound?”

There was no pomp as the old Prince was led into the court room. Murmurs and hushed conversations. No announcements of his titles and achievements. He was led by armed guards to stand before the judges, accompanied only by his lawyers.

“State your name for the court,” spoke the lead judge.

“I am the Prince of Saegsen,” he answered.

“Your name if you would, the court is aware of your title.”

“Then the court should be aware of my name as well.”

The judge raised a quizzical eyebrow, directed more at his lawyers than the old Prince. They only returned his gaze. He looked down at his papers. “Albrekt Rollo Albrektsen auf Waeksenlif,” he said. “We will read out your charges. You may take a seat.”

The old man was allowed to sit and the charges against him were read aloud. Foremost among them was the murder of Emperor Sherwin and the unlawful war against the Federation. Albrekt made scoffing noises at each one, ignoring the whispers of his lawyers.

It was a long list of crimes and the old prince grew ever more indignant with each new one. “Lies, all of it,” he said in an outburst. “All invented by the Esplandians to guarantee my execution.”

The judge ordered him to remain silent as they finished the list. Albrekt made additional outbursts throughout until the judge threatened to have him gagged.

When it came time for his plea, it was of course innocent. “That bastard Sigurt murdered Sherwin. Likely put up to it by Winegar. I was not involved.”

“You’ll have the chance to present your case, mister Waeksenlif…” the judge began to say.

“Prince!” Albrekt roared. “I am Prince of Saegsen. My titles have not been stripped from me. Nor does anyone in this court, nor the Federation have authority to do so.”

The judge called for order, demanding silence. But Albrekt’s temper was roused. “A farce all of this. This is not a house of justice. This is a theater, one put on by the Esplandians. And I will not recognize it’s authority.”

He stood up, made a rude gesture at one of the judges. “I won’t give you the satisfaction of a show trial.” There was a flash of light reflecting off a glass vial in his hand. Before anyone could react he’d drank the contents. He was dead in less than a minute.

“He poisoned himself?” The question was one of incredulous disbelief. And then repeated. “He poisoned himself?” This time angry.

“We’re trying to figure out who gave it to him, and when.”

“Was he not fucking searched?”

“He was searched before transfer and again at the courthouse.”

Alwur Skeowaeng pinched the bridge of his nose. This whole ordeal was going to give him a migraine. “Please tell me you detained his lawyers.”

“Yes, your grace.”

“And the courthouse is locked down? Alright, we’ll need to question everyone and find out who the fuck is responsible for this shit. Sigurt and at least half the Alstengar nobility disappears, and now the only one of this war's ring-leaders we caught kills himself. With fucking poison.” It was going to be a long day, if not an even longer week.

“We could have had this meeting in your office,” Raum Kolta said, apologizing for the clutter. His office was small for a man of his status. Truthfully he much preferred it over some grandiose one, though with his workload the place often became filled with files and paperwork awaiting his approval. He had multiple secretaries, but was way too controlling to allow them to process and sign important things on his behalf.

“It’s not a problem,” Irwin told him, moving a stack of folders out of the way so he could sit down. “I find your office more inviting than mine. I always feel like a child sitting in his father’s chair and pretending to be him.”

Raum gave the emperor a fatherly smile. “It’ll feel like your own soon enough. You’re filling his chair very well.”

Irwin thanked him. “One crisis down, at least,” he said in reference to the recent conflict. “However many more to go.”

Raum said nothing, knowing that Irwin was just venting in whatever small ways he could. He was also glad the emperor considered him close enough to do so. Some tea was brought to them and they drank it while making small talk. Raum spoke of his grandkids and his great grandchild, while Irwin spoke of his daughter. He told the older man that he and his wife were trying for a second.

“To many healthy children,” the High Chancellor said, lifting his tea cup.

They both finished and Irwin took that as a cue to begin discussing the matter that had brought him to see the chancellor. “With Sigurt missing I’m worried that the Alstengeord nobility will continue to resist integration with their Esplandian counterparts.”

“From what I hear many of Alsten’s nobles have also fled. That’s fewer to cause troubles for you.”

“My worry is about the ones that have decided to stay. Many of them supported Sigurt in his war and are only now throwing their lot in with us since our victory. There were a few who supported us and were forced to flee to Esplandia. Those I have restored fully to their lands and titles. I’m not worried about them. The rest though, I have no trust in.”

“And how do you wish me to advise?” Raum asked.

“As of yet neither my father nor I have used our prerogative to revoke titles and to invest new nobles. I intend to do so with those who fled instead of facing justice and my mercy. How far though, should I go with those who chose to stay?”

Raum leaned back in his chair, deep in thought. “As the High Chancellor I must advise you against wantonly revoking titles, despite your justifications for doing so as you may cause a long and irreparable rift between Alstengeorders and Esplandians.”

“What would you advise?”

“Abolishing Alstengeord’s Landesgrad. Making a single unified legislature for both kingdoms. And demanding an oath of loyalty from all nobles, Esplandian and Alstengeorder, to the unified crown to sit in the upper house. Those who refuse to swear the oath will be subject to revocation of titles, lands and privileges. This will allow you to clean house in Alstengeord as those who refuse will be deemed traitors and those who swear the oath will be forced to accept the new way of things. And those who fled must return to throw themselves on your mercy or stay away and lose everything.”

Irwin wrinkled his brow. “There will be Esplandians who won’t like this new oath requirement.”

“Then they will be subject to loss of privileges,” Raum said sternly. He then lightened his tone. “I wouldn’t worry about your Esplandians. Most will see the reasoning behind this and those who refuse can be bought with promises of lifting younger children to titles of their own in the now vacant ones in Alstengeord.”

Irwin saw the wisdom of this action. He was already planning what to draft to enact these changes. But Raum wasn’t finished. “What of Saegsen?”

“Albrekt’s grand nephew has already made claim to the title. I can see no reason to deny it to him.”

“Can’t you?” Raum asked. “He supported Albrekt’s conflict, didn’t he?”

“He supported his family. I can understand that.”

“It’s not my place to tell the Emperor what to do,” Raum said in resigned coolness.

“But you want to advise me against this anyway.”

Raum gave him a half smile. “If the Emperor asks for my advice I will give it.”

Irwin waved his hand. “Go ahead.”

“Saegsen has been a thorn in the side of Esplandian monarchs going back to the unification of the Esplandian and Gothel crowns. And they were thorns in the Gothel’s side long before that. I think it would also be in the Emperor’s best interest to revoke the princedom for the imperial throne. Grant Albrekt’s grand nephew the lands of his uncle, giving him only the duchy of Saegsberg as his highest title.”

“This will make him an enemy.”

“And what will he do as a duke subject to the direct authority of the Emperor? Very little I suppose, but if he should, you will be justified in stripping him of all remaining lands and titles.”

Irwin mulled it over. “So I am to become the Prince of Saegsen as well?”

“No, your heir, little Princess Sigurda, shall become the new Prince of Saegsen. A new title befitting the Heir Apparent of the Vestrugat.”

“I must say,” Irwin said, “this has been a very productive meeting. I shall begin drafting a Kompakt immediately.”

“There is one obstacle to overcome,” Raum said, cautioning the emperor. “Esmeralda.”

“What of her?”

“She will now be the last true sovereign monarch under the imperial authority. Seeing you grab up a good chunk of the empire and its constitutionally granted votes, she will begin to wonder how long until you grab for Hastenfrakta.”

“I have no desire to take her crown. She proved her loyalty to us during the war.”

“Yes, but she will want guarantees from you. And I suggest you go to her first and get them. Because we are trying to build a stable state that will last centuries, not kick any future conflicts down the road for the next generation to deal with.”

The skies were gray and with it heavy crisp winds that descended on the capital. A dreary day for a coronation, no doubt, but the Esplandians had insisted that it be done in order to bring a close to the period of conflict that had engulfed the Vestrugat. Raemond auf Drakosta would be crowned the King of Kaludgar, the first in many centuries.

His horse drawn carriage made its way through the brick streets of Degkantelburn, passing a great deal of brightly colored building the capital was famous for but their colors were more bleak and less intricate than normal; maybe from the distasteful weather or a city in mourning. Esplandian forces from the occupation guarded the streets to ensure that no hecklers or would be assassins could have their way but their efforts were for not. The streets were empty aside from the occasional pedestrian. A large crowd was not expected but at least some form of gathering was. An icy reception from the people that would just show how far the new King needed to come to win the affection of his subjects.

The royal entourage continued along its route, passing the war torn parts of the city. What crowd they initially lacked was replaced with orphans and the homeless in lines awaiting food from the Church and its laymen in front of the crumbled rubble that they used to call their homes. The needy in mass stared at the carriage as it went by, no doubt a ploy by the High Elder so it could be manipulated by the media; just more issues for Raemond to worry about.

Elder Raedgar had overthrown the previous government in the final stages of the war in order to finally bring peace to the people of Kaludgar. His shadow organization, Raethur’s Faithful, had long last revealed itself to the people of Kaludgar and were hailed as champions for bringing the war to its end. Besides the militant in the Spears of Avalus (which served as the military wing of the Raethurian Church) its members were not known; even the amount inside the Spears could only be estimated but Raedgar was now one of the kingmakers in Kaludgar and was happy to throw his weight around. With Winegar Roriksen removed from power and the fear of his faithful, the Church coalesced around him and he was proclaimed High Elder of the Raethurian Church. Decades spent portraying himself as a champion of the poor and working class had paid off as no one was in a position to stand against him and his zealots, that is except Raemond.

Finally the carriage made its stop in front of Lenora’s Stepelkjurc, the seat of the Church and the heart of its faith. Here every previous monarch was crowned and proclaimed the defender of the people and the Church, however Raemond was an infidel in a holy land who had refused to convert to the beliefs of the people he was going to rule, already setting the precedent for a shaky relationship.

The carriage doors were opened and out Raemond came, wearing a red military attire greeted with a royal fanfare at the steps of the cathedral. Followed by altar boys he slowly ascended into the building on a red carpet that had been laid out for him. As soon as he entered the building he was greeted with the sound of a booming organ and hymns sung by those attending the event. The halls were filled with clergy from all over the country, politicians, judges, the high command of the military, foreign diplomats, and all other creatures and bureaucrats of the managerial state. Most notable however were the large number of imported Esplandian courtiers that were brought in to help Raemond govern and the communists from Daelfen that were to have a large part in the rebuilding of the country and even more power in its governance.

Surrounding the throne at the front of the cathedral were the Elders of the Church. All thirteen of them, under the guidance of High Elder Raedgar, with their hands raised leading the attendants in song. Standing beside the red carpet that Raemond walked on were the Grand Clerics who raised their arms when he passed them and shouted out prayers in unison. Passing the High Elder, who would normally have their hand kissed by the monarch to show their devotion to the Church and to Aela, he sat down in his throne and the music slowly came to a stop.

The Elders and the Grand Clerics finally lowered their hands. Prayers were said by the Elders and then repeated by the Grand Clerics who then were repeated by the attendants. Finally, the holy water was brought up.

“Raemond auf Drakosta,” Raedgar’s voice boomed throughout the building, “Are you willing to make a promise to the people you are to govern?”

“I am,” Raemond said sternly.

“Do you promise and swear to govern the people of Kaludgar according to their respective laws and customs?”

“I do.”

“Do you promise to be just and merciful in all of the decrees that you will make?”

“I do.”

Raedgar dipped his fingers into the holy water and anointed him. “Then please rise, Raemond auf Drakosta, mighty King of Kaludgar,” Raedgar paused briefly before he continued, “and may Aela put fear into the hearts of your enemies and hope into your loyal subjects.”

She reached out and very gently, very difficulty, grasped the cub. As her hand clasped around it, gripped it, and didn’t crush it, she let out a happy giggle.

She took a drink, enjoying the plain taste of cool water and set the cup back down. It made an all too loud clunk as she put it down, but it was better than it had been.

She held up her hand, her new hand. She clenched her fist watching the joints curl up. There was hardly any noise, just a low whir. Etched into the side of the palm we’re the words Bionics S.à.R.L. It was a Saintonge company that had graciously provided the technology.

She unclenched her fist, watching the fingers relax. She was getting better at it. One day she might even be comfortable with it.

Her phone dinged and she picked it up (with her real hand).

YOU WANT TO GRAB LUNCH? It was from Taewin. She responded yes. He would pick her up in fifteen. She quickly got ready, grabbing a jacket. She almost took off the bionic prosthetic, but sighed, and left it on. She would need to get used to people looking at it.

Taewin pulled up in a car, one lent to him by the Esplandian embassy. He took her to her favorite place, a little burger and pasta joint in eastern Tver. She got a mushroom burger, while he just ordered a salad.

It was nice to be outside. She got fewer stares than she expected, though people did notice her arm.

“I’m glad you’re comfortable wearing it,” Taewin said.

She lifted it up for him to see. “I’m really not,” she admitted. “But I needed to start trying some time.”

He nodded. The burns had cleared up, and there were only a few scars she easily covered up with her hair. Her smile was back more often now than it had been.

“My father says the fighting has ended,” he told her, keeping an eye on her reaction.

He was happy to see her nod. “Mother told me as much. She’s returning to Rathberg soon. She wanted to return to Larthied but my brother wouldn’t let her.”

“The capital is still heavily damaged. I understand why he doesn’t want her there.”

“I’m returning too,” she stated.

He was taken aback. “When?” he asked. Their semester wouldn’t end for a few more months, but he suspected she had plans for sooner.

“Next week.”

“What about school?” He wasn’t accusatory, just curious.

“I’m not going to finish here,” she admitted. “I’ll take some time off, spend them with my mother and brother. Then if I’m ready I’ll attend college in Avulastet.”

He didn’t answer. She looked at him expectantly, waiting to hear what he said. “I understand,” he told her. “You have to do what you feel is right.” He took a deep breath and met her gaze lovingly. “I’m not returning with you. Im going to stay in Tver and finish school here.”

She gave him a forlorn look and squeezed his hand. “I’ll miss you,” she said.

He smiled coyly. “You better.”

Walk Out on the Water - Royal Canoe

“It’s a very ambitious plan.” The Queen of Hastenfrakta sat back in her wicker armchair and took another sip of chilled wine. She’d chosen to have their conversation on the veranda overlooking the sea. It was a warm day, humid, but a cool breeze off the sea brought some relief.

Irwin, normally dressed in wool or tweed, had chosen instead to dress down in a cotton polo and a pair of gray slacks. Esmeralda, a native to the warmer north, was dressed in a light chiffon dress that was green like the depths of the ocean. It was a very sheer fabric, something that would be very revealing in Esplandia. But the northerners were known for their more immodest attire and attitudes towards dress.

Irwin kept his face relaxed, trying not to give away his inner thoughts about the subject. He’d had little dealings with the Queen, but his father had told him she was far more perceptive than nearly anyone else he’d ever known. “But you have your concerns, I’m sure,” he remarked.

“You intend to replace the native nobility of Alstengeord with a n Esplandian one. It comes with its own concerns. Like how the people will react to this. But none of that concerns me. As far as I’m concerned you could remove every Alsten noble from power and the Vestrugat would be better for it. My concerns are more close to home, as in I haven’t heard what you plan to do with Lothel-Dutia and Grand Duke Edwin.”

Irwin nodded. He had of course left the issue of Edwin on the back burner until this very meeting. Twice now the Duke had attacked Hastenfrakta to better his position in the Federation. The first time the conflict had been settled in his favor after the death of Reinhald had put the fight out of the Hastenfraktans. But this time had been more unforgivable. He’d sided with the murders of Irwin’s father. “The truth is, I wanted to speak with you before deciding what should be done with him.”

She raised an eyebrow in surprised interest. “Oh? How flattering that the Emperor should want to hear my opinion.”

“Well, his betrayal was responsible for the deaths of more Hastenfraktans than anyone else. Their Queen should decide his fate.”

She beamed with a wicked smile. “Oh how my husband would have loved to have this decision in his hands to make. If only he was here today with us.”

“May he dwell peacefully with Aela,” Irwin said with sincerity.

She thanked him for his words, but Irwin couldn’t help but notice she wasn’t particularly mournful of her late husband’s passing. “Edwin can’t be allowed to keep his political position,” she stated without missing a beat. “But at the same time, replacing him with a noble of our choice will, quite frankly, start another conflict. And your goal is long lasting peace.”

Irwin was shocked. “So you want to keep him in power?”

“No,” she chuckled. “Or else I can expect yet another betrayal from him as he grasps for power. No, I think I have a better fitting punishment for him. Abdication. But with some caveats. His son will inherit the Grand Duchy, but his daughter—a lovely girl and not overly ambitious—shall become Duchess of Lothel. A little split in power, but still within the hands of the same family.”

“Cyrflaed? The daughter from his second wife? The one who happens to be a close friend of your own daughter?”

She waved her hand. “I hadn’t even thought about that,” she said without trying to conceal the obvious lie. “But now that you point it out, how wonderful that there should be a close friendship between them. It would only further peace.”

Irwin merely nodded again. He was beginning to like Esmeralda despite his reluctance. His advisors had warned him about her cunning, but yet he found her charming and intelligent. But most of all, she had supported his father and even now shared the same goals as him. To make the Federation as strong as possible.

“So you’ll support my initiative if I back your own plans and have Edwin abdicate?”

“There’s also one other thing,” she said, forestalling the end of their meeting. “Many people believe that the Federation is secondary to the Imperial ambitions of the Esplandians, no disrespect meant to you, Your Imperial Majesty. After all, you’re now undisputedly the most powerful man in the Vestrugat and King of two of the three kingdoms and are about to give a great deal more power to your countrymen. And on top of that, the Imperial and Federation capital is located in Karthied, the capital of Esplandia…” she let her voice trail off pointedly, staring perceptively into his eyes.

“And how would you address this imbalance of power?” Irwin asked, already knowing what she’d ask and not liking it one bit. But the truth was, she was right. Esplandia was, without dispute, the de facto leader of the Federation. And the imbalance would definitely lead to further resentment. And if he was trying to avoid future conflicts, then what she was about to suggest would certainly be a way to address it. His ministers would be unhappy, but there was definitely merit.

“Move the Witangamot out of Esplandia. Put the Federation’s capital in a different city than the Imperial seat of power.”

“And you have a suggestion for where it should go?” he asked coyly.

“There’s a couple good options, but I think the best location would be in Dolgelleth. The city of Avalus herself. It would make a bold statement, don’t you think?”

Last edited:
Raekttum Kompakter
Raektkynning Irwin Drakosta
en vi Witangamot
12th Bleommunth, 2021
Royal Edict, Emperor Irwin Drakosta in the Witangamot, 12th October, 2021

To heal the scars of conflict, to rebuild trust and brotherhood among the nations of the Vestrugat, and to iterate the authority of His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Irwin Drakosta, this Royal Edict has been signed, attested, and witnessed within the Witangamot this the Tenth of October in the year 2021.

All nobles of all ranks, holding an office of authority within the states of the Federation wherein their power and privilege derived from the authority direct of the Imperial Throne shall herein be required to make an oath of allegiance to the Emperor to maintain the rights and privileges the same. In so doing they shall be maintained in their positions and titles even if having recently taken up arms against the Federation and His Imperial Majesty. In so doing they will be held in good standing, having accepted the Emperor’s grace and forgiveness.

Those who do not swear an oath and seek out His Imperial Majesty’s pardon by the deadline of Saint Avalus Day (December 22, 2021) shall be considered in defiance of this edict and shall be disinherited from their titles, positions, and privileges. Furthermore they will be considered to be still Enemies of the State and traitors, and will be brought before the Federation Courts to face charges of sedition and treason against the Imperial Federation wherein the full force of the law shall be brought to bare against them so that justice for this recent conflict can be meted out.

By the Grace of Aela and the Authority of his Imperial Majesty,
Irwin
ᛞᚱᚪᛉᛟᛋᛏᚪ

Sigurt’s arrival in Patrium, Suavidici was without fanfare or ceremony that would normally befit a king. Instead he’d come in secret on a small boat that reeked of fish.

His forced flight from his home had left him bitter, despite its necessity. Had he stayed the murderous Drakostas would have found him and killed him. Just another Auvestet-Hadeg on their kill count.

To get here had been a long journey. Safe houses in friendly countries, then ships to the next one. Never staying anywhere longer than a week. The Esplandian Intelligence Ministey had a long grasp and many eyes. And they had to get somewhere their agents weren’t likely to be found. The Esplandians had little interest in Auroria or it’s politics. And the Imperium had their own agents to protect the exiled prince.

A house had been provided for him. A nice one, but modest, and located away from the city. For now he’d need to keep a low profile.

His new hosts provided him with news of his homeland. It was from them he’d learned of Irwin’s new Kompakt. It effectively stripped him and his Allie’s of their land, and turned any who were perhaps friendly to his cause into potential enemies.

“Damn that Esplandian bastard!” he roared, picking up some kind of sculpture up and throwing it against the wall. It shattered into a thousand pieces. But he didn’t care. He’d lost his war and his crown. He’d gotten his revenge on his family’s murderer. But now the son of that murderer had stripped him of everything else.

“Bye Aela, I will not rest until the entire house of Drakosta is dead. A bitter memory whispered in the river of time. I swear it!”

The startled servant who’d come in upon hearing the sculpture crash against the wall didn’t respond. She probably didn’t even speak Vestrutag.

Sigurt stormed away, leaving the perplexed young woman behind. He was in a land that wasn’t his, with no way to carry out his vow. But he would find a way. He would not give up. He would not despair.

The Royal Crypts
Raþberg, Esplandia
March 29, 2022

Tell me child,
Why are you crying?
Has the light yet gone away?
The hour of dusk
Is still upon us.
Do not fear the end of day.

—Song for the Eventide (an Aelostian Hymn)

The rain had stopped and the evening sun pierced through the clouds giving warm amber sparkles from still rainswept ground. Amelia breathed in deeply and filled her lungs with the sweet scent of after-rain. It had been a gloomy service, the gloomy depths of the crypts and their ancient must.

She led her mother as they made their way across the castle grounds towards Halkonhal and the royal apartments. Her mother held tightly to Amelia’s arm as they walked, gripping tightly; her eyes still red from crying.

Amelia had noticed her mother had chosen to hold her left arm. Her real arm. Abigael could not yet bring herself to look at her daughter’s prosthetic. Her eyes would alight on it and quickly dart away. Amelia would give her mother time. It was not only a reminder of her daughter's injuries, but also the loss of her other daughter. And also the loss of her late husband.

The Huskavrals awaited them, lining the path back to the apartments. Amelia had not yet gotten accustomed to the increased security. Her brother had even assigned a detail to guard her and her apartment in Karthied, making it a royal order when she protested. But considering the extensive damage to the city, and the fears of Sovereigntist still at large, she’d dropped her protests and thanked him instead.

Her mother stumbled as they walked, throwing her full weight on Amelia causing her to also stumble. A Huskavral stepped forward and caught them both.

“Thank you,” Amelia told the guard.

“Might I walk with you my lady?” Belag Gent asked, stepping forward. He held out his arm for Abigael. She gave her daughter an embarrassed look and silently accepted the Count’s arm.

“I should have been paying attention,” she muttered.

“The lady’s mind was elsewhere,” Belag said charmingly. He gave Amelia a kind smile as he led her mother away. She gave a thankful smile back.

“Now I need a strong arm to hold onto,” spoke another woman in the procession. Eleana Eorvikhaer flashed her own smile at the Princess. “I’m just about ready to pop,” she joked, rubbing her large belly. She was nine months pregnant, her due date fast approaching.

Her language, the rough and colorful tone of a shipwrights daughter, was just what Amelia needed to lift her mood just a little. “His Majesty should be walking with you,” she said.

“Irwin’s been moody recently. He needs some alone time to process his grief.” Eleana was such a matter-of-fact woman, not someone to mince words. Amelia liked her for that. “But I don’t know whether to spend as much time with him as I can or give him his space. I just don’t know.”

“I’m his sister and even I couldn't tell you,” Amelia admitted. “We haven’t always been close. The fifteen year age difference didn’t help. He was already an adult as far back as I can remember.”

Eleana looked back towards the tall grass covered mound that marked the location of the crypts. “He regrets how strained his relationship with his father was. And you can’t make amends with the dead.” She looked back at Amelia. “How did you get over the deaths of your sister and brother? You seem to be so together right now.”

There were days when she didn’t, but what Eleana was saying was true. Her mother had been pretending to be strong. For Amelia’s sake, and also little Edwin’s. But she had noticed how easily her mother would start crying.

“I suppose I had the time and distance to grieve,” Amelia admitted. “Irwin was thrust into a leadership role at a time of crisis and war. I was away in Cerdagne, surrounded by my friends. They helped me through it.”

“You had Tægwin,” Eleana said with the hint of a smile. Amelia blushed and looked down at her feet. Eleana pretended not to notice. “Unfortunately, Irwin’s friends are all in the military and aren’t around right now.”

“I’ll talk to him,” Amelia said. “I don’t know if I can help him, but he’s my brother and I can at least try.”

“Thank you,” Eleana said.

She found Irwin sitting on a metal folding chair near the sarcophagus of his mother. He must have been praying, his head bowed, but he looked up when she came in.

“Hey,” he said with a thin smile on his face.

“Hey,” she said back. She spotted another chair leaning against the wall. “Mind if I sit?”

He gestured for her to sit next to him. She unfolded the chair, careful to be quiet and respectful. The chair didn’t cooperate, making a loud squeak as she unfolded it.

They sat together, the only sound the buzzing of the lights strung along the roof. She waited to see if her brother would speak, but he was content to remain quiet. His hands were folded in front of him, his elbows propped on his knees as he leaned forward staring blankly at the floor.

“I always hated coming down here,” Amelia said, breaking the silence. “It’s too cold. And there’s no air.”

Irwin leaned back, giving her his attention. “Same. It also reminded me of my mother’s absence. But father loved to come down here. I think he enjoyed the peace.”

“No,” Amelia said. “I think he just missed her.” She reached out her hand and touched the sarcophagus of the woman her father had once loved. The mother of her brother. Leanorra Rabenneg. And not for the first time did she wonder about the woman who her own mother had to share the love of her father with. A ghost that had never been allowed to rest.

Irwin saw her reach out to touch the stone, and he put his hand on her shoulder. “Thank you for sitting with me,” he whispered.

Amelia drew her hand back. “Your wife is worried about you.”

He furrowed his brow and quickly pulled his hand back. He returned once again to staring at the floor. “She shouldn’t,” he said. “I’m fine. It’s just been a difficult year.”

“You should talk to her about it.”

“I said I’m fine,” he snapped. His eyes, filled with anger, turned back to her.

She was shocked by the ferocity of it. A thousand retorts rose up in her mind, but she pushed down the desire to rebuke him. Instead she said nothing.

He kept her gaze, and slowly his anger faded. “That was uncalled for,” he admitted. His eyes returned to the floor, this time in shame. “I’ve just been so angry with everything lately. Father and Silvia. I forget I’m not the only one who’s feeling those losses. Thank you for being so damned patient with me. Just like father. I wish I was more like him.”

“You are,” she said.

“Really? I never feel like I am.”

“Well, you’re as scary when you’re mad as he was.”

Irwin laughed. A genuine joyful laugh. “He always said I got that from grandmother.”

“Oh please, that’s where he got it,” she said, joining her brother’s laugh.

He put his hand on her shoulder again and gave it an affectionate squeeze. “Thank you,” he said sincerely. “For coming down here. You’re right, I should talk to Eleana. I’m just a stubborn ass, I guess.”

“You said it, not me.”

“Hey,” he mockingly scolded. “I’m still the emperor.”

“That doesn’t work on little sisters.” She turned her chin up in defiance.

“And it shouldn’t,” he agreed. He stood up. “Come on, let’s go join the living. And if I ever become too much of a stubborn ass again, give me a good kick in the backside would you.”

She stood up with him. “You can count on that.”

He gave her hair a playful tussle as the left the crypt behind.

Casper’s Lullaby - James Horner

Last edited:
Harold, having had a restless night, no longer willing to fight for sleep that wouldn't come, decided to start his day early. After getting ready, he exited his room, quietly closing the door so as not to disturb his still sleeping wife. He found the morning strangely quiet and empty, more quiet and empty than he had remembered the embassy building in Esplandia having been previously. Strolling the halls there was nobody, save for the sight of the occasional guardsman on patrol.

Finding one of the heavy oak doors to the chapel ajar, he felt drawn into the seeming solace of the room. The soft glow of the beeswax candles brushed aside the gloom of the early morning revealing hints of the murals on the walls and ceiling; their honeyed scent mixed with the lingering unmistakable scents of frankincense and myrrh. Cardinal Ouvrard could be seen sitting, eyes closed, in contemplation, prayer book in hand as Harold silently sat down in one of the chairs.

Just after the break of dawn, the sounds of footsteps could be heard in the hall approaching, everyone must be getting ready he thought to himself. Looking over, sure enough, there stood Ambassador Woolsey. "Richard, I suppose it's time," he said with a nod as he got up and headed to see if his family were ready. His wife, Maggie, handed him a black mourning armband, "You forgot this on the dresser."

A short while later everyone was in the motorcade, the gates slid open, and the procession of cars issued into the streets. The family had arrived late last night, too late to get a good view of the damage that had been done to the city in the recent battles. Now with the risen sun, the full sight of the changes to the city could be seen. Photographs and video didn't do it justice, to see a city you know, battered; it was something to behold. Some buildings were tattered, others completely collapsed, while their neighbor seemed to have not a scratch. Workers, diligently clearing debris and occasionally, the unlucky soul, soup kitchens outside local churches could be seen, people setting up a new life in temporary shelter, their ancestral homes, and for some, their families now gone. Harold could hear his wife let out a muted gasp, and saw the heart-wrenched look on her face she was attempting to conceal as they surveilled the damage that streamed past them. Taking her hand in his, it gave her a measure of comfort.

Arriving at their destination, the cars pulled up to the Royal Crypts in Rathberg, they hadn't been there in quite some time, and the last time was on a similarly somber occasion. Harold grabbed a black bag from the vehicle, took his wife's arm, and they proceeded toward the grassy mound entrance where they were greeted by Abigael and Amelia. Normally it was such a joy to see their friends, but this time, it was more like the bitter taste of ash in their mouths. After a few minutes of greetings, condolences, and some small talk, the group oriented themselves and made their way into the crypts preceded by their Huskavral escorts.

Making their way through the crypt they passed along a line of Drakostas stretching back countless years. Eventually, they'd reached the more recent tombs; including that of the late Queen Katharin, Sherwin's mother. Nearby lay Sherwin in his own sarcophagus, surrounded by arrangements of Gladioli and White Lillies the Callahans had sent ahead. Chairs were already gathered around in preparation. Reaching into the black bag he had brought with him, Harold pulled a very old bottle of Cognac and snifters. Pouring a drink for those in attendance, as well as one for Sherwin, Harold raised his glass "To our dear friend, a father, a brother, and a great Emperor, our beloved Sherwin; I had promised you next time I saw you, that we'd share that bottle of Cognac." With that, the group drank their drinks and placed the empty glasses in a row next to the still full snifter, and remnants in the bottle.

As the families sat, silently offering prayers, and visiting, followed by conversations in remembrance, the time crept by, and eventually, the conversation had grown quiet. Abigael checked her watch and then interjected "The staff should be getting food ready about now back at the palace," Pausing for a moment, a little smile appeared on her face, a brief moment of happiness "It was nice having our kids here together, their lives have been getting so busy as of late they've been having less and less time to see each other, especially Irwin... He's so busy... So much on his shoulders these days, but he made sure he'd be able to make it today." As the families gathered up their things and started to head out, Harold held back a moment, made his way over to the sarcophagus, and placed his hand on top, with tears welling up in his eyes, and a choked voice he quietly said "While you're away, I'll look out for your family if they need anything, especially Irwin, the kid has a tough job ahead of him. Goodbye, old friend, until the day we meet again... <clearing his throat> Oh, and if I or my people see that literal bastard that did you in, so help me God I'll be sure to send him along."

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Back