Minister of Eldritch Affairs
-
Pronouns
Eldritch/Horror
TNP Nation
Yamantau/The Black Cathedral
Discord
Mercy#2357
Lance raced his makeshift four-wheeler down the remnants of Highway 16 towards Lloydminster, looking back to see the convoy of trucks coming back towards the old Lloydminster Upgrader facility. He kept a steady pace in front of them as they rumbled down the broken pavement past Blackfoot, watching the ditches and washouts for any movement or signs of the Neilburg Boys. They usually didn't come this far north, but with winter closing in, they'd be getting desperate. Lloydminster had been a border city once, literally. The boundaries of what was one Alberta and Saskatchewan ran right through it, straight down the centre. Now, it was a fortress surrounding a shanty town. Lance grabbed the flare gun from the holster on the fuel tank, and aimed it high in the air as they neared, firing the blue flare high into the evening sky to signal their approach. He could see the gates begin to open in the distance, the crude, corrugated tin lined wall standing ever vigilant. Lance began to drop his speed, allowing the convoy to catch up with him as he pulled to the side of the road in front of the gate. The dust and rocks flew as the heavily modified trucks blew past him, rolling into the battered city. A petitie woman in a gas mask, wearing a tattered beige Carharrt jacket approached Lance, and handed him a clipboard and a pen. Lance knew the drill, he filled out the loading permit, and handed it back to the woman, who took a moment to let the last of the trucks pass so Lance would hear her over their roaring engines. "Lance, why does it say you're going back through Edmo with your loads?" her voice crackled through the diaphragm of the mask. "Dropped our sticky off with another convoy leaving the Edmo Exchanger, swapped trailers so the sticky would get to New Canada a little faster." Lance said, muffled through his shemagh. "Lance! You can't do that! The trailers need to stay with their trucks!" the woman said angrily, pointing the clipboard at him. "Sorry, Amber! I'll remember for next time!" he said, feigning remorse, as he started the four wheeler again, and tore into the city. The woman now standing in a cloud of dust, cursing at him.

Lance caught up to the convoy just outside the Upgrader facility as the trucks were being checked over, and signed in. Another man on a four wheeler raced over to Lance, and rolled to a stop. "I got this! Run into town for a drink or something! Might be here a couple days apparently! Hydrocracker is down for repairs!" the man shouted. Lance nodded, and gave him a thumbs up. "Sounds good, Jess!" he shouted, turning away from the convoy, and racing back down the entrance road. Jess waved as Lance sped away, turning back to his own job. It was a miracle they managed to get this place running again after the flash, and probably an even more miraculous thing that they kept it running. Nobody truly understood the process here except the operators, just that sticky went in, and blackfuel and gaz came out.

Lance pulled into the lot of a large building called the Serv Us Centre, which used to be some sort of sports venue, where the played "ho-key" and ran in circles. Now it was the equivalent of a hotel, bar, and barracks. Lance pushed the weathered wooden double doors open, and sauntered in, pulling his shemagh from his head and face, down around his shoulders, and repositioning his goggles to sit on his forehead. Place was pretty dead tonight, with a few of the usual drunks around. He headed to the bar, and pulled up a stool,drumming his fingers on the counter. The redhead behind the bar didn't even have to turn around to know it was him. "The usual, sweetheart?" she asked sweetly, reaching for a weathered green bottle that had an odd square shape to it. "Yeah, Jos, please." he said, breathing a heavy sigh of relief. "Long run, this time, hun?" Jos asked, pouring a strange, sickly green liquid from the bottle that smelled oddly like varsol. "Jesus, you still serving this shit?" Lance joked with a wry smile. Jos laughed, and smiled sweetly. "You're the one that drinks it!" she giggled. "Nah, I only drink it because I love the sound of your laugh when I inevitably start gagging." Lance smiled back. Jos turned a bright shade of red as Lance flirted with her, brushing her hair behind her ear. "So, cowboy, how long you in town for this time?" she inquired, leaning in, offering Lance an interesting view. Lance smiled, and shook his head. "Couple days. Cracker is all fucked up again over at the 'Grader." he said, looking down into the glass of chemical smelling hooch. "Well, I got a space in my bunk you could help fill, cowboy." Jos said with a raised eyebrow, as she turned and walked back to the other end of the bar. "I believe I will take you up on that offer, madam." Lance announced, raising the glass in her direction, before downing the contents. "HOO, holy shit! Ugh!" Lance cried dramatically, scrunching up his face at the foul taste in his mouth. Jos' sing song laugh filled the air as she watched Lance struggle to keep his composure further.

"What's actually in that shit?" Lance asked, a look of disgust still plastered over his face. "It gets you drunk, does it matter?" Jos asked, picking up a mug and a rag, and trying to scrub the water spots off the glass. "I mean, I'd still like to know why 3 shots of it will black you out." Lance gasped, staring into the glass at the small amount of fluid leftover. "Uh uh, my secret." Jos smiled. "Fair." Lance laughed back, "So, when you off shift, darlin?" Lance continued. "Couple hours. Sabrina is working the late shift." Jos answered, looking up at Lance. "Alright, well, where's your bunk at? Might try and catch a quick nap before you get there." Lance laughed. Jos smiled and rolled her eyes, "You know where it is." she laughed. "That I do, I was just hoping you'd come with me." he laughed, rising from his seat, and making his way towards the back of the building. The staff at the bar kept permanent quarters here, and were even afforded private rooms if they had been here long enough, and Lance had spent a good deal of time in Jos' room. He planned to get her out of here one day, maybe take her west, to the ocean. He just had to save up a little more money. He kicked off his boots, and hung his dusty gear on the coat rack, before washing up a little in the sink, and trying to clean the cracked mirror above it enough to try and shave.

He laid his shaving kit out on the counter, and began his ritual. It wasn't often that he got to shave properly, with hot water, and being able to see what he was doing, so when he did, he took his time, and enjoyed himself. The water felt good on his skin as the grime washed away, and he carefully scraped away the stubble. Once he was done, he tried to wash up a little more, before crawling into the bed. It was only a matter of seconds before he drifted off.

Out at the bar, the convoy drivers began to file in, looking for a decent meal and a beer, and maybe some company for the night. Jess plopped himself down in a chair, and smiled as Jos approached. "Hey kiddo, Lance already here?" Jess asked, smiling kindly at the young woman. "Yeah, he got here about an hour ago, I think he's having a quick nap by now. Gonna go see him later." Jos beamed. Jess laughed deeply, and shook his head. "You kids are the only pair I seen in 20 years that are so keen on each other. I swear it. Might be why he bought that ring from that Jaspari fella..I mean..shit!" Jess tried to back pedal, having just given away Lance's secret. Jos' jaw dropped, as she put her hands over her mouth. "He did what?" she asked, a massive smile on her face. "I didn't say anything!" Jess said, putting his hands up. "Jessup Nelson! What do you know?!" Jos asked him, grabbing the old man by the ear. "Hey! All I know, is that he bought a ring from a guy outside of Jasper a couple weeks ago, and he keeps it in his pocket." Jess said hastily. Jos released the old man, and shook her head, smiling. "Ok, well, we'll see. Either way, Sabrina will be on soon, so you'll be dealing with her for the night. Oh and uh...I'm really sorry boys, but since the brewery in Edgerton shorted us real bad, beer is 2 sea-tees instead of one." Jos informed the table. "Ah, that's not really an issue. Here, 2 for everyone at the table." Jess said, waving her off, handing her a small stack of bills that featured an old scotsman, that said "Canadian Tire" inside a triangle. Jess had heard, that before the flash, CTs were actually worthless, and you could only use them at this "Canadian Tire." place. The other men at the table, Dallas and Dale, exchanged glances and shook their heads. "How does a dork like Lance score a hottie like that?" Dale asked, essentially drooling over the young redhead. "Because he doesn't act like a horny dog, you moron." Jess snapped, halfway joking. Dallas laughed at Dale as the scolded man sat back in his chair and tried to come up with a response. "It's all about confidence and manners, boys. Something you two sorely lack." Jess laughed, as Jos approached again with a tray full of frosty beers. "Here you go boys, enjoy! Your usual rooms are all set up too, so just head up when you're ready." she told them. "Thank you, Jos." the said in unison. "No problem, boys." she smiled, as she turned and walked way.

It was close to 9 or so when Jo's finally made her way to her room, and quietly slipped inside, hanging her clothes on the rack, and sliding into the bed next to Lance, who was still fast asleep. She couldn't help but wonder about the ring in his pocket, but didn't want to be rude, and dig through his things. Lance rolled over facing her, and pulled her in close, her head resting against his chest. "I love you." he mumbled, as Jos' pulled him in. "I love you too." she replied, nestling in for the night. She was quickly fast asleep too, happy just to be back in her lover's arms.

Back