Delegate's Report Bill

How about we start off with the addition of an operative clause! Also I added a specific time period when the report is due and an out for a delegate elected in a special election held during that time period. They'd just have a different deadline. Look at #34 and #35.

Delegate's Report Act:
Section 7.5 of the Legal Code is amended to read as follows:
Section 7.5: Freedom of Information Act
31. For the purposes of this section "the government" refers to the Delegate and the Executive Officers, including the departments which they oversee.
32. For the purposes of this section, classified information is that which fits any of the below definitions:
  • Real life information about any NationStates player from which there is a risk of inferring that player's real life identity and which has not willingly been disclosed to the public, including, but not limited to, an individual's name, IP address, physical address or location, phone number, place of employment or education, appearance, social media accounts, and other knowledge about a player, unless the player in question provides explicit consent for this information not to be considered private.
  • Real life information about any NationStates player for which there exists a reasonable real life expectation of privacy or discretion, including, but not limited to, health status, both mental and physical; financial status; personal tragedies; changes in personal status such as marriage, divorce, pregnancy, birth, or death; and other similar information, unless the player in question provides explicit consent for this information not to be considered private.
  • Information that, upon being made public, would jeopardize any ongoing military or intelligence operations; or jeopardize the security of units and agents participating in them, or be harmful to the diplomatic interests, military interests, or security of The North Pacific.
33. Notwithstanding any process for publication, any information which meets the criteria to be classified will not be released.
34. The Delegate will present a report summarising the actions of the government to the Regional Assembly no earlier than thirty days following the most recent General Election and no later than thirty days before the next General Election, unless a special election is held during the time period in which the report is due.
35. If the Delegate was elected in a special election more than thirty days after the most recent General Election and more than thirty days before the next General Election, the Delegate will present a report summarising the actions of the government to the Regional Assembly no later than two weeks before the next General Election.
36. Private government records which reach one year of age will be relocated to the appropriate Declassified Archive visible to residents.
37. At any time a resident may request the release of any private record from the Government through the Delegate and the designated officers of the Executive.
38. The Delegate and the designated officers of the Executive will retrieve information requested from the different departments of the government.
39. Residents who do not receive this information for any reason not specifically designated in appropriate laws or regulations may file a request for the information to the court, where the Delegate and the designated officers of the Executive may present evidence that addresses any claim that release of the information meets one or more of the acceptable criteria for classification.
40. Information appropriately not disclosed will be accepted as classified by a majority vote of the Court sitting as a three-member panel.

Honestly, Sil, that doesn't make much sense to me. That would mean that we're mandating a report from the delegate at month 3 rather than at the end of the term. Moreover, in the event that a special election is held with less than two weeks remaining in a given term - however unlikely - there would be a dilemma. A simpler way of doing it would be to mandate that the delegate present a report summarizing actions of the government during the final quarter of their term.

As I said before, I dont think we need this bill at this time as I have faith that the Prydanian Government will post reports in a way that is transparent but also bet for their time scale. Forcing a timescale on the administration could be hampering rather than beneficial.

Final quarter also seems too vague. It could be said that, on April 10, whatever report the government puts out fulfills that requirement. (Provided I have my math correct, which... is never guaranteed.) But I think the spirit of what you're aiming at is on the mark.

Order! Order!

The Delegate has vetoed this bill and whilst I would prefer that he would not subvert the will of the Regional Assembly in one of his first acts in office, the Delegate has indicated he is prepared to support an amended version of this legislation. I now open the floor for suggestions for amendments or, indeed, a discussion on proceeding with a motion to override the Delegate's Veto, as set out in the Constitution.

@Rocketdog

... alright, I'll bite. The Delegate has not vetoed the bill. The Delegate announced their intention to veto it at some undetermined point in the future.

I will have to veto this piece of legislation.

The bill sits before the Delegate, waiting to be signed, vetoed, or for the time period for the Delegate to do something to pass.

I believe that this bill is necessary. Some vague "when it's necessary" doesn't cut it. Better to foresee the possibility that some Delegate will choose not to file reports and head it off before it becomes an issue in any form.

As to dates, I really don't care. A, roughly, monthly report would suffice imo. A special report concerning dramatic events affecting the entirety of the region would be good. This would be a Delegate option in most cases, but see below.

I also support Brendog's idea of a report demanded by an RA majority.

Last edited:
I have clarified my veto of the bill, and would like to state that I would be happy to sign any version that sufficiently addresses my concerns.

... alright, I'll bite. The Delegate has not vetoed the bill. The Delegate announced their intention to veto it at some undetermined point in the future.

The bill sits before the Delegate, waiting to be signed, vetoed, or for the time period for the Delegate to do something to pass.
I disagree with this interpretation, but if you would like to test it with a request for review that proceeds in an expedited manner, I am sure the Courts would oblige with a ruling to provide clarity.

Edit: It seems the Delegate has rendered the point functionally moot.

Last edited:
I disagree with this interpretation, but if you would like to test it with a request for review that proceeds in an expedited manner, I am sure the Courts would oblige with a ruling to provide clarity.

Edit: It seems the Delegate has rendered the point functionally moot.
Indeed, the Delegate has now vetoed the legislation.

Indeed, the Delegate has now vetoed the legislation.
I shall have the office draft a funding bill with which to construct a pedant's library in your name.

I shall have the office draft a funding bill with which to construct a pedant's library in your name.
Mr. Speaker I respectfully request that you take such debate to a separate thread so that the RA can continue the serious discussion of the proposal, but I do appreciate the thought.

The timeframe for the report is the last two weeks unless a special election is held in the roughly in the last month of a 'regular' delegates term. I decided not to force a report if the delegate is elected in a special election basically with one month left till the next election.
EDIT: Added in a clause by where the RA can request a report. I definitely need feedback on how to word this.

Delegate's Report Act:
31. For the purposes of this section "the government" refers to the Delegate and the Executive Officers, including the departments which they oversee.
32. For the purposes of this section, classified information is that which fits any of the below definitions:
  • Real life information about any NationStates player from which there is a risk of inferring that player's real life identity and which has not willingly been disclosed to the public, including, but not limited to, an individual's name, IP address, physical address or location, phone number, place of employment or education, appearance, social media accounts, and other knowledge about a player, unless the player in question provides explicit consent for this information not to be considered private.
  • Real life information about any NationStates player for which there exists a reasonable real life expectation of privacy or discretion, including, but not limited to, health status, both mental and physical; financial status; personal tragedies; changes in personal status such as marriage, divorce, pregnancy, birth, or death; and other similar information, unless the player in question provides explicit consent for this information not to be considered private.
  • Information that, upon being made public, would jeopardize any ongoing military or intelligence operations; or jeopardize the security of units and agents participating in them, or be harmful to the diplomatic interests, military interests, or security of The North Pacific.
33. Notwithstanding any process for publication, any information which meets the criteria to be classified will not be released.
34. The Delegate will present a report summarising the actions of the government to the Regional Assembly no earlier than fourteen days before a General Election, unless the Delegate was elected in a special election that is held thirty days before the report is due.
35. The Delegate must submit a report summarising the executive by a majority vote of the Regional Assembly.
36. Private government records which reach one year of age will be relocated to the appropriate Declassified Archive visible to residents.
37. At any time a resident may request the release of any private record from the Government through the Delegate and the designated officers of the Executive.
38. The Delegate and the designated officers of the Executive will retrieve information requested from the different departments of the government.
39. Residents who do not receive this information for any reason not specifically designated in appropriate laws or regulations may file a request for the information to the court, where the Delegate and the designated officers of the Executive may present evidence that addresses any claim that release of the information meets one or more of the acceptable criteria for classification.
40. Information appropriately not disclosed will be accepted as classified by a majority vote of the Court sitting as a three-member panel.

Last edited:
The only quibble that I have remaining is a required monthly, or thereabouts, Delegate report isn't in there anymore. Tie it to time in office rather than a specific date. Perhaps every 5-6 weeks so that it dovetails with the final report.

The following update includes a mid-term report, removing the RA to request a report as I believe it isn't necessary. I have left monthly reports to either be presented by the relevant ministry or in one whole delegate report per month. As such I don't believe that is necessary to include in this bill
Delegate's Report Act:
34. The Delegate will present a report summarising the actions of the government to the Regional Assembly no earlier than fourteen days before a General Election, unless the Delegate was elected in a special election that is held thirty days before the report is due.
35. The Delegate will present a report summarising the actions of the government to the Regional Assembly between six and nine weeks after taking Oath of Office if elected in a General Election

Last edited:
I’m not thrilled we’re back to the specific number of weeks thing. I understand we need to avoid it being so vague that it can be applied in situations where a delegate doesn’t have much time, but I also feel that simply mandating the delegate must present a report of their activities before the end of their term (as opposed to saying before the next general election) would suffice. This would cover the end of term report and leave the midterm report(s) free to be done or not, so the current version obviously guarantees the midterm report (and seems to leave the end of term optional instead). Personally I prefer the end of term report to the midterm report if we’re going to require one, but the midterm report also has more utility in terms of tracking how the delegate is doing.

I personally believe norms suffice to ensure this is done, but again, this is important enough that it doesn’t bother me if it’s codified. Regardless of my quibbles, I don’t believe this changes my position on the bill.

Most of the time for clauses will be in effect since special delegacy elections tend not to happen.
I didn't want to go back to specifying week, but I have done so to give a bit more freedom.
If there is no further discussion, I will wait a few more days before moving it to a vote.

As a citizen, you’re allowed to do so. Though you will need a second on the motion to vote.
As this is a legislative vote, per the Standing Procedures, doesn't the author of this bill have to make the motion for a vote? Or has the standing procedures since been amended to allow for any citizen to motion for a vote?

As this is a legislative vote, per the Standing Procedures, doesn't the author of this bill have to make the motion for a vote? Or has the standing procedures since been amended to allow for any citizen to motion for a vote?
This is correct - nor is there a need for a second, per the Standing Procedures.

That is correct. Janus asked if they could motion for a vote, which, as a citizen, nothing prevents them from doing so. It’s just in order for a vote to be scheduled there’d be a need to have the author of the bill (in this case RocketDog) make the motion to trigger the scheduling of a vote.

As for the second, that is my mistake and I stand corrected. I misspoke.

The motion to vote is recognised, and the bill is now in Formal Debate - this will last for 5 days, after which a vote will be scheduled to start no sooner than two days after the end of Formal Debate and no further changes to the bill will be permitted.

The Speakers Office will allow Formal Debate to be shortened to two days, should the proposer wish it.

I mutter to myself, "Theft of intellectual property? That makes little sense if the original proponents drop the idea altogether."

Back