The Great March

Loz

TNPer
-
Preface
The Great March refers to the century long period of conquest and consolidation executed by the Valarun Kings and their supporters against what would become the Southern Territories of the Empire of Alnaria. Beginning in the early days of the 15th century, the march was presided over by five Kings of varying worth and skill. Certain periods of the conquest were marked with spectacular battles and violence, while others with skill of word and diplomacy. Reminders of the Great March exist throughout the Empire. The shattered foundations of once mighty fortresses dot the land, while cities incorporated through negotiation stand in stark contrast to the bones of once sprawling centers of population. The lands of central Alnaria were mostly disorganized and fell quickly to the Host of Valarun. The South was another matter. The Great March saw its greatest loss of life as it battled its way through the Mountain of Heaven and into the Ryujin Shogunate. The March came to end at the Ryugo-Jo or Palace of the Water Dragon where King Arzan took the head of the Zennyo Ryuo Shogun. Our story however starts fittingly at the beginning, with King Faenrus I at the Holy Fortress of Alan-Sar, on the eve of the Great March.

Faenrus-Part I
"His Majesty, The King!" Shouted the Herald. As the crowd roared King Faenrus walked calmly onto the battlement with his greatest Marshall Elwin Sulimno in tow. It had been over seven years since he and Elwin had shattered the 20 tribes at this very fortress. seven years of preparations, of drills, of the forging of weapons. His Army stood strong and they were ready. As he reached the appointed spot, he raised his hands to ask for silence.

"My friends, my fierce friends, at this very spot we shattered those who would have seen us cast down." The crowd roared and once more Faenrus raised his hands for quiet. "But we did not drive them into the sea. We broke them in order to build them into something new, something more, just as the gods did to us at Alan-Sar. Today members of every tribe in the North stand among you, and we stand as one people and one Kingdom!" Faenrus allowed for a long cheer from the crowd, brotherhood was essential for the road ahead. "Today I ask you to embark on a new crusade with me. As we have united the North, so too shall we unify the south! We shall uplift those living in the chaos beyond our borders, and we shall destroy those who stand in the way of such order. As we have become one people, so shall all people who fall unto us, and they shall be our brothers and sisters. So go now my loyal Soldiers, go to your wives, go to your parents, go to your sons and daughters one last time and steel yourselves for the March to come, because March we shall!" Faenrus hardly heard the chant go up among the soldiers, as he was lost in his own euphoria. The Great March was about to begin, and he was to go down in legend as the King beloved by gods and men. "Nothing can stop us." He said over his shoulder to Elwin. "Nothing."

Elwin-Part I
"A fine victory your Majesty." Said Elwin riding up to the King. "It was wise to take a small target first. The men will remember this taste"

"Its good to see you Lord Marshall." Said King Faenrus from the ground. "You look far too clean though." He said wiping his sword.

Elwin laughed. "I am an old man your Majesty, my sons do my fighting for me, and you have armies my King."

"Too old." Faenrus scoffed, ignoring Elwin's second comment. "Gods know you could still have cut through any of these men. Now ride with me." He said mounting his horse.

They rode the battlefield for some time, Elwin had much to say, but he knew better than to interrupt the King when he was with his thoughts.

"This is a good start Elwin." Said the King. "Losses were low, morale is high. We even took lord Dorlonin and his family alive."

"That's good news, what will you do with him?"

"Leave him most likely. We'll take his son and daughter with us."

"Leave him?" Elwin asked. "After a battle?"

"Hardly a battle Elwin." Said Faenrus. "As soon as we took the rise he knew it was over and sued for peace. He's a smart man."

"Too smart maybe your Majesty?" Elwin asked.

"Maybe, but we'll need to ensure we can hold these new territories or it will all be for nothing. We do that by making these people better off than they were before. Give them no good old days to long for, only the golden age ahead."

"I wish I had your confidence my King." Elwin said. "Optimism has never been strong suit."

"Its good we even out then." Faenrus said with a laugh.

Elwin chuckled to himself. "Indeed. Well my King, what say we talk to the good lord and lady."

"I suppose we shouldn't make them wait too long, wouldn't want to be rude guests." The King said riding off.

"Certainly not your Majesty." Elwin said, following behind.

Last edited:
Ninriel-Part I
"His Majesty is finding victory in the south my queen. A messenger from the Lord Marshall brought this update." Said Ulros Tarnbur, the aging Royal Loremaster. He was and old man, but the vestige of greatness was still in his face. Before taking his scholarly oaths he had been a renowned warrior, and the King trusted him greatly with both matters of war and diplomacy, going so far as to make him the Lord Steward of Armenalis in his absence.

"Thank you Ulros." Said the Queen as she opened the report. "It would seem they encountered minimal resistance at Highmarch. Lord Dorlonin surrendered before the battle even truly began."

"Excellent." Said Ulros. "The gods are with us."

"I think surprise was with us" The Queen said smirking.

"Yes well...the gods work through all things your Majesty."

The Queen smiled and said. "Yes of course, but I imagine we should now focus our prayers towards the gods of supply lines rather than the god of surprise."

"Yes, indeed your Majesty, that was the other reason I came to see you. Lord Alme of Stormbreak is rather upset that his island is still being used as the main maritime staging port."

"Is he not being compensated?" Asked the Queen.

"No, he is your Majesty, a mixed compensation of Raels and grain store for the duration of the Crown's presence on the island."

Ninriel frowned, very cognizant of the fact the Loremaster had deliberately not given her hard numbers. "Well if the Lord Alme wants more for his trouble he can come before the Court like all the others. He should be honored his rock will have a place in history." Said the Queen with the sigh.

"Very good your Majesty, and when he does come, will you acquiesce?"

"That will depend on the manner of the supplication. With my husband's absence it is imperative we look as strong as if he were here Ulros." Said the Queen.

"Of course my Queen." Said Ulros. He gave a low bow and began to walk towards the door, but as he opened it he turned and said "Perhaps the Prince Turilin could begin joining you in court. I think the experience would do him good."

"That will be all Loremaster, thank you."

"Your Majesty." Said Ulros with a curt bow, as he walked out he closed the door softly behind him."

"Mother!" Yelled Turilin as he ran to hug the Queen.

"My sweet cub." Said the Queen. "How were your lessons today? What did you learn?"

Turilin ran over to a table in small alcove covered in books. "We read this one today Mother!"

Ninriel walked over to the book and opened the cover. "The History of Armenalis, by Brother Suros of the order of Loremasters." She said aloud. "Learning about the Capital are we?" She asked the young Prince.

"Yes! Did you know there are nearly 50 miles of tunnles beneath the city, or that the walls at the thickest point are 20 feet thick, or that the granary can store enough for a year or...

"Enough little cub!" The Queen laughed. "You'll have read the whole book to me at this point." Catching the Princes frown she came over and hugged him. "How would you like to learn something beyond these books?"

"Like what mother?"

"Tomorrow you will help me hold Court in the Throne Room." The Queen said.

"What will I do? Will I get to pass judgments!" Yelled the Prince.

"Not yet my love, but soon. I want you to learn for now, so you can show your father how much you've grown when he returns."

"Yes mother...I miss father." Said Turilin.

"So do I sweet boy, so do I. But he's being strong for us, so we must be strong for him."

"Yes mother."

Last edited:
Durad-Part I

Durad of House Molwind, King of Darnur sat as he ate at dinner. His dining chambers were illuminated by candlelight as Gerthich of House Ziral explained the situation on the Valarun March.

"Faenrus of Valarun has taken the Tuzale holdfast on the coast. He has the sea to his east and he marches on Gondin."

Durad looked up at Gerthich as he ripped meat from the bone with his teeth, before looking down at his plate as he finished.

"Faenrus has always been insolent" he grumbled as he slowly returned his gaze to his general.
"And now he has it in his head he's going to wage war on us. I'll see to it myself that his head end up on a pike, and body tossed into the sea, where it might do some good for the fish."

"The sea, Your Majesty..." Gerthich replied, uneasily.

"Yes?"

"Sails belonging to Valarun bannermen have been spotted off the coast of Tuzale."

Durad could only laugh, the very thought of a challenge from the sea striking him as ridiculous.
"He wishes to challenge us not just on land, but on sea...he's bold. I will grant him that, but it's the ploy of a desperate man. Fetch me Lord Adgan. We need to amass our fleets. We'll crush their sails and trap him between our men and ships. They'll find nothing but blood here. Get me our naval lord, go. And then call the banners. We march north to meet Faenrus as soon as we can."

"It will be done Your Majesty."

Last edited:
Back