Fire on the Horizon [Open]

Tobias switched into Mercanti himself, noticing Jadzia's preference for it despite her relative weakness with it. He was better at it than she was, even if his accent was still noticeable.
"No, I haven't" he said with a soft smile.
"We have something sort of like it in Prydania though. Medisterpylsur, it's called. It's not breaded, but it's more spicy" he added as his gaze darted over to the shraumlaekt, now intrigued.
"But I have to say, Vestrugatten cuisine is very good. If their sausage is like their cheese, then it'll be hard to keep away."

He suddenly noticed Artois, who had been quiet since he's approached Jadzia. He blushed a bit, but managed a smile. Two years in and the trappings of Kingship still felt odd. He'd grown up in far more egalitarian surroundings. A necessity of war. Something he suspected Jadzia would have experience with as well. He did wish to get to know his Arrandali cousin more, but he also tried to deal with the fact that others would regard him as a monarch above their station. Even if he did not always feel that way, or even when it just slipped his mind. Colart, God bless that man. He suffered none of it, but not everyone was like that.

"Mr. Artois" he added pleasantly.
"I'm terribly sorry. I hope you're enjoying the Vestrugatten sun and food as much as Jadzia is? I'm afraid I'm still not too used to it."

Peter Artois, who had lagged behind Jadzia, was surprised when the Prydanian King had addressed him. But he hid his surprise and bowed deeply.

“Your majesty,” he said. “I find the Vestrugat to be very hospitable. Though I’m not as much a fan of this southern sun. Give me the foggy hills of Arrandal instead.”

Jadzia laughed at her chamberlain’s answer. “Forgive him, he’s just a grumpy Callisean.”

Artois snorted in mock disgust. “My father was Callisean. I was born in Arrandal and so I am Arrandalian.”

Jadzia turned back to Toby and offered him a light hearted apology. “Peter’s father was a close advisor to my father. He’s a loyal man. Just too truthful sometimes.” But she meant nothing mean by it, for her chamberlain had proven himself. No ruler could ask for a better man on their side.

Peter then leaned in and whispered into her ear. “Your Mercanti is better then you thought.”

She then looked at her feet, a little embarrassed. “Ah, but where is my head,” she said, returning her attention once again to Toby. “When are you and Alycia getting married?” Of course Peter moaned at this question, but Jadzia beamed innocently at her cousin.

Last edited:
Tobias chuckled with a bit of blush in his cheeks but not much.
"In December. It'll be beautiful with the snow, I think. Don't tell her, but I hunted a wolf in Essalanea to make into a pelt for the occasion" he said with a smile.
"And we're both looking forward to seeing you there" he added, before taking another sip of his wine.

A sunny day this bright was rare in Prydania and it had him feeling particularly relaxed. And he didn't often have the chance to talk to Jadzia. He thought back to when he was sixteen. God he was a mess...but thankfully he hadn't been put in charge of a country at that age. And yet Jadzia had managed to serve her people well. She was stronger than he was in a lot of ways, and it was inspiring. And he also felt a bit worried. He'd be protective if he had a means to project power that far south.

"The entire Crownlands are still recovering. In a lot of ways? The Vestrugat is an inspiration. For overcoming discord. I hope things are well in Arrandal? I trust that recovery isn't dragging too much? If it is we can see about Bergum Pact assistance. It's time it stopped being a military only-alliance. We should all look out for each other. In other ways too. Regardless, you should visit Alycia and I in Norsia soon. We're planning something special" he said with a wink, hinting at Prydania and Norsia's join space flight plans without saying anything to betray them.

It was tradition for the Syrixian Emperor to formally arrive in foreign countries through an elaborate ceremony. This was, after all, a rare occurrence, as foreign visits were traditionally seen as beneath an emperor's dignity. Rajesh was not his father nor any of his forefathers. He entered the Vestrugat the same way everyone else did, nor did he enter alone- with him was Secretary Rahul Khanna. Secretary Khanna would be doing most of the talking, unless the Emperor was prompted to do so. His goal today was to observe; though he wanted to talk to Sherwin if he could.

Vestrugatic cuisine had always interested the Emperor, who would often have his chefs prepare Shraumlaekt whenever he wanted a quick snack; though he preferred to dip his in yogurt rather than mustard. It didn't appear that there was any yogurt on the table, and he never much liked mustard, so he had his bare, before sitting down at his table to eat and peruse the program of events. Secretary Khanna, meanwhile, strode over to where everyone else was talking, with the knowledge that the Emperor would be joining him momentarily and where necessary.

Prince Sarakhaid entered the great hall as only an Astragonese prince could, his kaiderin bodyguard marched in perfect steppe either side their red uniforms and golden armor glittering in the morning light. Dozens of menial attendants followed close behind in white uniforms bearing the livery of the imperial house, they carried countless gifts of emerald, gold, and pearl and at their feet, several peacocks trotted on golden chains.

Sarakhaid was dressed in a manner suitable for a man who was representing the Exalt Emperor, he wore an emerald studded black agbada and a black and gold cap with the sigil elephant of house Ebesha in an embellished diamond. Lieutenant Nyesha Kirash followed at his side her leopard-skin cloak held by attendants as she walked.

'Im looking forward to this' Sarakhaid with a wide grin

Nyesha nodded her face never changing from her stern expression, typical Kaiderin 'Indeed my prince, though it would have been better for our Exalt to greet the new emperor in person' she said with a tone of regret

'It is ours to act in our lord's name, not to question, anyway, the food will be good and we will do our utmost to honor his name' Sarakhaid said brushing off her concerns

The scent of the coronation filled the hall a beautiful bouquet of wine, flowers, perfume, and frying meats all serenaded by elegant music from countless instruments. Sarakhaid reached his table and a menial pulled the seat out ready for him to sit, he lowered himself into the chair and smiled taking a glass of red that had been offered.

'If nothing else it will be good to get out of the bloody office...' he thought as he sipped his wine

(OOC Note: This takes place before the enthronement)

Rathberg Castle
December 3rd, 2019

Irwin held the child, his child, and he felt a thousand emotions run through him. His little girl was beautiful. As he looked into her curious eyes he felt as if the world had changed around him. His perceptions, his goals, all had shifted in an instant. He was not the same man he had been a few hours ago. How could such a small person so drastically alter his emotional state? He wanted to cry, to cheer, to dance for joy.

He left Elaena to rest in the bedroom they’d set aside, a nurse there to monitor her. He found his family waiting in the lounge outside. His father stood as he came out. Irwin saw a look of pride and love on his face. And for a moment he felt the closest he ever had to his father.

“Here’s your granddaughter,” Irwin said, showing her off to the King. “Say hello to Sigurda Elaenora Abigael auf Drakosta, the future Queen of Esplandia and Alstenbek.”

He saw his stepmother cover her eyes at the mention of her two middle names. One for the grandmother she’d never meet, and the other for the step-grandmother she would. Sherwin had eyes only for the little child. “She’s gorgeous,” he said, and he was crying.

Irwin held her out, and his father took her, holding her gently. He whispered to her, a prayer for protection and good fortune from the Edjadda.

He then took her over to the rest of the family, showing her off. Silvia was most excited. “Hi,” she squealed at her newborn niece. “I’m your auntie. We both have the same name. But everyone calls me Silvia. You can be Silvia too if you’d like.” Little Edwin smiled warmly at the little baby, and seemed super curious about everything going on around him. But he was strangely quiet for a two year old. The only one who wasn’t present was Amelia, who was still away in Sion for school. But she would be returning soon for the holiday, and her father’s enthronement.

Abigael was the first to hug Irwin. And Irwin warmly returned the embrace, happy he’d patched things up with his stepmother. “Can I check in on Elaena?” she asked.

Irwin nodded. “She might be sleeping, but it should be okay.”

Sherwin returned to his son and put her back in his arms. “Hold her as much as you can,” he instructed. “She’ll be too big before you know it. Now if you’ll excuse me, I must inform the press that my grandchild has arrived.”

Vestrugerwaertun Abbey, Karthied
December 22, 2019

A great fanfare went up, horns and stringed instruments accompanying a great pipe organ, filling the cathedral halls of the abbey with trumpets and drums. And then Sherwin entered, marching down the aisle, his white military uniform shining in the sunlight streaming through the windows. He strode purposefully forward, looking only straight ahead to the great altar, where his destiny awaited. He was followed by Prince Irwin and Count Baeleg and a dozen Huskavrals.

He climbed the steps of the great altar, and knelt before the statue of Saint Avalus. Standing next to the statue on either side was the Archbishop of Taeberus and the Allfather.

The music died down. The Archbishop, Alfrekt auf Larflaeg stepped forward and spoke a few words, extolling the virtues of the King. “Aela bless this man, greatest in the Vestrugat!” he prayed. He then took a small silver cup and poured its contents over Sherwin’s head, anointing him with holy oil.

The Archbishop returned to his position aside the statue of Avalus, and then the Allfather stepped forward. Aeltag IX spoke his own words, and offered his own blessing. “Though this man practices the beliefs of the followers of Teid, he has in his humility and wisdom, chosen to make peace with all Aelostians. And so, I give my support and my blessing to my Raektdev. Praise Aela!” And then he poured more oil over Sherwin’s head, anointing him for Avalustians.

Sherwin stood, and again a fanfare of horns and drums went up. Prince Irwin then climbed the steps, carrying the pages upon which the Vestrugat Constitution was written. Sherwin placed his hand upon it and took his oath of office. A brand new oath, written for this occasion.

“I swear before Aela and his Erujakirs, before all those present, and before the people’s of the Vestrugat, to uphold the rules and laws of the Federation, to respect and honor the rights and traditions of her people, to settle disputes to the benefit of all without bias, and to protect and defend this land from all threats against her. I shall hold the office of Raektdev by mandate of the people of the Vestrugat until my last breath, keeping trust between the nobility and the citizens, so I swear. In the name of Aela, I swear!”

Then the flag of the Vestrugat was draped over his shoulders as fanfare once again rang throughout the Abbey. Sherwin then descended the altar stairs, where Raum Kolta waited. He presented the constitution to the High Chancellor. “I entrust upon you the governance of this Federation,” Sherwin said.

Kolta took the constitution and responded, “In your name I shall lead.”

A cry then rose up: “Hail, Sherwin auf Drakosta! Raektdev of Vestrugatia! Hail!” The shout of “Hail!” was repeated from among the Vestrugatten nobles, and representatives.

Queen Esmeralda then came forward, carrying the flag of Hastenfrakta. She took the flag and placed it over Sherwin’s shoulders and swore her loyalty to him.

Then came Irwin, carrying the flag of Esplandia, and did the same. After him came Princess Amelia with the flag of Alstenbek, and did the same.

“Today, upon the feast of Saint Avalus,” Sherwin said, addressing the crowd, “we celebrate a united Vestrugat. Long live the Vestrugat! Long live the Federation!” He then left the Abbey as the fanfare played him out.

In the Hall of the Mountain King —Epica

Waeksenlif Castle, Saegsen

A member of his staff informed him that the ceremony was over, that Sherwin was now Raektdev of the Vestrugat. Prince Albrekt took it calmly, even though he felt great disappointment in his Hastfradic brethren. Today, they had signed away their sovereignty. And though it would take time to manifest, they would all be irrevocably chained to the royal house of Esplandia.

He hadn’t gone to the damned ceremony. He’d have no part in it. People would just assume he didn’t go because of his age and health. Perhaps Sherwin would suspect the truth, and Albrekt hoped he did.

But he had sent a few representatives, one of his ministers. Sigurt had gone, part of the entourage. Best to let the boy actually see his enemies, to know their faces. To look upon the man who had murdered his family to gain a throne that rightfully belonged to the boy.

“There’s a price to be paid,” Albrekt said aloud to his empty office. It was something Queen Katharin had said to him once. “For everything we do, good or bad, there’s a price that must be paid.”

And Sherwin would pay his price. The Vestrugat would be ruled by true blooded Hastfrads, not Kian mongrels from the east. Already plans were in motion, and he would see the end of the House of Drakosta.

Rathberg Castle
January 18th, 2020

He’d had the dream again. He was in the old cabin that he’d shared with Laenora, looking out on the lake, the Halkonkregs towering above. The cabin was quiet. No sound of Irwin playing, or of his wife playing the piano. It seemed cold and empty and alone. He called out her name, but it echoed emptily, too loud for the small cabin.

Then he remembered. “She’s gone,” he said to himself. “She’s been gone a long time. And now there’s Abby.”

But it still felt like she was here, somewhere. That he’d see her around the next corner. So he kept checking everywhere, checking the bedrooms and the kitchen. Even the pantry.

“You never came back here after her death,” he told himself. “So why are you back here now?”

He opened another door and found himself standing on the porch, looking towards the lake. Except the lake was gone. Instead a green lawn stretched out ahead of him, down to the edge of a broad blue river. A boat was pulled up on the shores, and a lone figure faced him, her hair flowing in the wind.

“Laenora,” he called recognizing her.

He raced across the field, down towards the river, but as he approached, the river and the woman receded. He ran desperately, trying to go faster but soon everything faded, and he now found himself standing before the crypts. The doors were opened and inside it was black and dark.

He didn’t know why, but he entered. The lights came on, but very dim casting a gloomy light. He took the elevator down, heading to the floor where his first wife was buried.

He entered the room where she was buried and found her kneeling in prayer. “Laenora,” he called out quietly, afraid that his voice might wake the other sleeping dead.

She looked up at him, her eyes bright in the dim light. She looked at him sadly, as if it pained her to see him. Did she know what kind of man he’d become?

“I’m not here for you, Sherwin,” she said. Her voice was just as he remembered it, and the sound of it made him want to weep in joy to hear it but also in sorrow for having lost he. He needed to hold her, and he rushed forward, planning to take her in his arms. But the lights went out and he was plunged into darkness.

He woke up in a cold sweat, and realized he was weeping. Abigael stirred beside him, but she didn’t wake. He wiped the tears from his eyes, and breathed deeply until the tears stopped flowing. Soon he fell back asleep.

Night of the Bells
January 19th, 2020

The last bell rang out, signifying Avalus’ escape from her prison, and then the city erupted into celebration. Amelia sipped at a glass of cognac, enjoying herself and the evening. The week would end and she’d be returning to Ceretis for her studies. In the meantime she’d enjoy being home. Dancers whirled about the room, enjoying the music and company.

Taewin passed by her arms locked with two other young men, giving her a loving smile and she winked back at him. She narrowly dodged being dragged out onto the floor and stepped out onto the balcony. Lights lit up the garden, casting shadows from trees and bushes. The younger children, watched over by mother’s and nannies, played seek and find among the shadows. She caught sight of her little sister chasing down a boy and tagging him out. She then turned around looking for another target.

Someone came out on the balcony next to her. It was Taewin, flushed and exhausted from the dance. She passed him what was left of her drink.

He took the glass and set it aside on the railing. Instead he leaned in and gave her a quick passionate kiss. She let him for a few seconds and then pushed him back, feigning shock.

“You are drunk,” she teased.

“I’ve not had a single drink,” he reassured her.

She peered down below to make sure no one was looking up at them and then she went back in for a kiss again, this one lasting much longer. After they just held onto each other, the sounds of children playing below and the party inside fading away as they just looked at each other.

“I’ve gotta take Silvia back to the palace,” she bemoaned.

He pulled her tight, taking another kiss. “I’ll miss you,” he whispered.

“You’d better,” she said, pulling away. “I’ll see you tomorrow though.”

He held her hand for a moment as she pulled away and then he let her go. She smiled the whole way down through the house, thinking about him.

Silvia wasn’t too happy about being pulled away from her play, but she still said her goodbyes and followed Amelia to the waiting car. “Can I see Sigurda tomorrow?” she asked as the car pulled away from the house, heading back towards Blaegfyurd.

“You miss her that much?”

“I’m gonna be her favorite aunt.” It was said with such enthusiasm that Amelia reached out and ruffled her sister’s hair.

The city was so awake as the celebrations continued through the night. She watched dancers carrying on in the streets. Drinks and singing in celebration of the Hastfradic heritage. Amelia thoughts were solely on Taewin, the strength of his embrace and the warmth of his kisses. She found herself daydreaming, wishing she was back on that balcony.

Klaus Haestersen checked his watch, making sure his timing was right. He was actually ahead of schedule. Two minutes ahead. He bent back to his work, concentrating on finishing his task. He pushed the last piece of electronics together and was satisfied when the device came on with a cheerful beep. He made sure it was set properly, taking into account the two extra minutes, and then he was done.

He closed the panel he’d pried open, and then walked casually away. He walked a few blocks to a little pub in a basement, ordered a beer, and waited along with the rest of the revelers.

It had been a busy night for Frederik. Most holidays were. But the Night of the Bells always kept him open until nearly three in the morning as revelers came in and out for alcohol, smokes, and snacks. He was happy it was closing time. He was already dreaming of his pillow.

He pulled the gate down in front of his store and latched the lock. As he pocketed his keys he noticed a man messing with one of those electrical boxes up the street a ways. The man pushed it shut, and then disappeared around the corner.

Frederik shrugged and decided to mind his own business. He headed off a different direction towards home. But the more he thought about it the more suspicious he became. He turned and headed back. He figured he’d just check the box, make sure nothing suspicious was going on, and then head home. If he found something amiss he could call the Civic Order Patrol.

No one could say he wasn’t a man to do his civic duty. He found the electrical box and pulled on the door, expecting it to remain shut. But it came open easily. He saw that the lock had been broken. He opened it up and peared in, the light from a street lamp enough to see by. He knew right away that it was bad.

A device had been attached to it. It looked complicated, with numerous wires and two cylinders taped together. A little green light blinked on and off. His heart beat as he realized it was probably a bomb. He looked around. The street was deserted, except for a single car and two motorcycles coming down the roadway.

He pulled out his phone to make a call. As he dialed, and the car with its motorcycle escort passed, the green light turned off and a solid red one came on.

Sherwin was finishing up in his office, sipping at a cold beer and relaxing after his speech addressing the Federation on the importance of the holiday, when the explosion rattled his window. At first he thought it was wind and thunder, and took no notice of it. But a minute later a second followed, this time lighting up the city outside his window. He looked up and could see a pillar of flames rising into the night sky.

He hopped to his feet and rushed to the window. What was going on?

Another explosion went off, and this time it was close. The Gisard Theatre, a two hundred year old landmark facing the palace, disappeared in a bright flash of flame and smoke. Sherwin covered his eyes against the blast.

His office door burst open and his personal Huskavrals came in, lead by Colonel Konraed Fedderhaem, the commander of the palace guard.

Fedderhaem didn’t bother saluting, as he was in full on crisis mode. “There’s an ongoing attack on the city, your majesty,” he said matter of factly, but with an urgency.

“I can see that,” Sherwin said. “What’s going on out there?”

Fedderhaem let his military demeanor down for a second. “I don’t know,” he said shakily. “But we have to get you to safety. Helicopters are en route.” He motioned for the emperor to hurry.

Sherwin complied, and he was escorted from his office and down the hall. “What about my family?” he asked.

“Your wife and baby are safe in Rathberg, but we are moving them to the Halkonspaer now. A squad has been sent to secure the Prince in Eborum as we speak.”

“And my daughters?”

Fedderhaem was silent. He met his emperor’s gaze. “No reports yet, sir, but I’ve sent people out for them.”

Sherwin asked no more questions, a sickening pit building in his stomach as he remembered his dream from the night before. Please Aela,he prayed. Not my girls. Let them be alright.

The helicopters had landed on the palace lawn and Sherwin was hurried into one. The helicopters took off, weaving among each other to hide which one he was in. As the city disappeared below him he saw what appeared to be a dozen different fires burning across the city.

They’d just gotten the baby down for the night and climbed into bed. He’d just closed his eyes and then there was a heavy pounding at the door. It was an urgent rapping, echoing through the apartment.

Irwin got up, tossing a robe on. He rushed out of the bedroom, barely registering Elaena cursing and saying they better not wake the baby.

Irwin opened the door. A half dozen Huskavrals, in their grey uniforms, stood armed outside the door.

“We are here to take you to safety,” one of them said. “There has been an attack in Karthied.”

Irwin didn’t even ask questions, his own naval training kicking in. “Elaena,” he called. “Get dressed!”

He rushed to the bedroom, quickly explaining what was going on. She rushed to get dressed, as he got his own clothing on.

“What about the baby?” she asked.

“I’ll get her,” Irwin answered, putting on his shoes. He picked up the baby out of the crib, still sleeping despite the commotion.

Elaena had grabbed some clothes for the baby and tossed them into an overnight bag.

The Huskavrals were waiting inside the living room, two guarding the front door.

“Helicopter inbound,” they were informed. As they rushed outside, down the front steps, a helicopter landed in the street. The noise of the rotors were enough to wake the baby and Sigurda began to wail. She was nearly drowned out by the helicopter.

Within seconds they’d been hustled aboard and the helicopter lifted off into the night.

Taewin rushed to the window, the explosion rattling the glass. He could see a plume of fire rising into the air a dozen or so blocks away. People were already panicking.

He made his way into a balcony and could here the sounds of sirens wailing in the distance. Then another explosion drew his attention, this time towards Agnavalus Boulevard.

His first thought was for Amelia as the palace was up that way. He pulled out his phone to call her. “The number you have dialed is not in its service area, please dial…” he hung up.

He dialed another number. This time his brother picked up. “Are you alright?” he heated Arron ask.

“Yes I am. Do you know what’s going on?”

“I don’t. I can’t reach father. Is the Princess with you?”

“No, and I can’t reach her.”

Another explosion lit up the sky, this time to the north. It was far off for him, but the sound was louder over the phone.

“Aela watch us,” his brother exclaimed. “Northgate is gone…”

Taewin looked towards the direction Amelia’s car would have gone. He hung up on his brother and dashed through the house, dodging through panicked party goers. He needed to make sure she was safe. He had to find her.

Outside he commandeered a moped, not giving a damn who it belonged to. He hotwired it, a skill his father had taught him.

He followed the path her car would have taken her. He heard or noticed a few more explosions, but paid them no find. Instead he prayed that she was alright, that she’d made it to the palace.

He found her car, blown on its side. One of the explosions had gone off out front of the Karthied Bank, and the vehicle had been caught in the explosion. Tossed through the air the car had come down halfway into a store on the far side.

Emergency responders were already about. He flashed his Ministey ID to get through when the police attempted to stop him. Amelia was lying on the sidewalk, her face bloody, her hair partially burned on one side. There was also a lot of blood on her side and her arm looked mangled.

But she was awake. She stared blankly up into the sky, but her chest rose as she breathed.

“Amelia,” he called, coming to her side. The paramedics pushed him back out of the way.

She must have heard him because she looked around, though never focused on anything. “Silvia?” She asked, her voice faint.

Taewin stopped one of the police who was rushing past. “The other Princess?” he asked, yelling out the words. “Did she make it? Where is she?”

The officer shook his head, the only answer Taewin needed. He stumbled back as the city burned around him.

Unterkreg Kastegburn
Beneath the Halkonkreg Mountains

Alwur checked his appearance in the reflection of the elevator doors, taking a moment to comb through his hair with his fingers. He’d let his hair grow out too long, and his beard needed a trim, which had seemed harmless enough since he was supposed to be on extended leave from the ministry. Now he had to see the emperor looking like a mountain man.

He tapped his thigh impatiently as the elevator descended twenty stories below ground. He realized he was humming an old Aelostian hymn. He coughed, pretending to clear his throat. The guard operating the elevator didn’t even glance his way. Many of the government's senior officers and ministers had already been brought in for protection to the castle, which was an underground bunker from which the government could be run in an emergency.

No one yet knew how extensive the attacks were. He had delayed being flown out to the mountains until he had enough info to be able to give a comprehensive report. But there was a lot of bad news, and he would need to be the bearer of it. He was expecting Sherwin to be distraught.

The elevator finally arrived at the bottom of the shaft, but the highest floor of the complex. He had to take another one down an additional six floors, accompanied by another guard, to the command center. He found Sherwin there, along with a whole lot of ministers and their staff. The room was loud and noisy. The guard reported to the chief of security who verified Alwur’s credentials and then led him to the Emperor.

Sherwin seemed to sigh in relief when he saw him. “Tell me it isn’t as bad as I fear it is,” he said.

“The attack is limited to Karthied only. No reports of attacks on other cities, though the reports we do have are muddled. There was either seven or nine bombs detonated across the city. I’m still waiting on confirmation.”

“Casualties?”

“No exact numbers yet, but initial reports…” Alwur took a deep breath, steadying himself. “They’re high. Whoever was behind this mostly targeted crowded locations. They destroyed the Gisard.”

“Yeah, I saw it go up,” Sherwin said. “Thankfully Abby and Edwin were at Rathberg, and Irwin and the baby are on the way. I still haven’t heard anything about the girls yet.”

Alwur’s heart sank hearing those words. “You didn’t receive the report? Your daughters were passing by the central metro station when one of the explosions occurred. Their car was caught in the blast. Amelia is in critical condition...and Silvia...didn’t make it.”

A dark look crossed Sherwin’s face. He silently stood up, staring blankly around the command center.

“Everyone out!” he roared. People stopped, startled at the tone in his voice and the look in his eyes. “Now!”

They cleared the room, looking apprehensively at the emperor and Alwur as they left. Then the two men were alone. Sherwin clenched and unclenched his fists, his breathing quick and shallow.

“I am removing you as Minister of Foreign Affairs,” Sherwin spoke, his voice coming calm and low, too calm for a man who’d just learned one of his children was dead. “I’m reinstating you as head of intelligence. I want you to use your network, find out who was behind this.”

He looked Alwur dead in the eye. For his part, Alwur understood the significance of what Sherwin was saying. To make him Intelligence Director meant he was now channeling his mother. Aela, help us all, Alwur thought.

“There will not be a trial. We will not bring them to justice. Find out who was responsible. Who provided support. Who backed these bastards. Kill them all. Not a single one of them are allowed to live.”

Alwur straightened his shoulders. The question he was about to ask would shake the very Federation should anyone know of it. “Am I to have free hand in order to do what is necessary?”

Sherwin had no hesitation in his reply. “Yes. You will bring fire and vengeance down upon them. Give them no mercy. They killed my child."

Blackbird Song —Lee DeWyze

Back