The Captains Dance

James Ceren May 15th, 1939

James Ceren, considered a hero after what he did in the Civil war of Draconics, was still lonely. The king Arobol Dragonking tried to find him a mate, but to no avail. James was ok with all the flowers thrown at him when he walks the annual Victory Festival, to mark the victory of Draconics against the Liberators League.

He also was the comforter of Notboss Dragonkng, the prince of Draconics. Since the civil war caused the very quick disappearance of Darklord, the son of Trentor who was the leader of the rebels. Crescent Killer helped but not much. Notboss stayed quite for a long time afterwards.

However James Ceren, a hero, wants to find love to someone, preferably a human and not an anthro so he could actually have a child. Since the war Arobol allowed humans and anthros to be together but to expect no children if they want any. James is in the kings hall looking at the currently empty throne and awaiting for Arobol Dragonking to arrive.

"James!!", a voice called and James snapped his head up in the direction of the voice and its was the king and James almost instantly bowed to the king's presence. "Oh come ooooon James no need for the formalities, stand up and give your friend a hug", Arobol says and walks towards James as he stands up. James knows the King dislikes excessive formalities in his presence, but as well dislikes when others don't bow to show that Arobol demands respect and has authority of Draconics.

Arobol embraces James, "My lord please must you do this all the time?", James says as he is squeezed by Arobol Dragonking. "Yes it is, I am the king I should be allowed to hug my friend if I want. You are a hero James have some pride for yourself", Arobol says and breaks away from James. James smiles and looks down at his feet and Arobols feet claws on the ground. "Uhm, your majesty, if I may ask for something?", James says. Arobol nods, "Why of course General, ask away".

"I was looking at a our historical documents and I was wondering", James bites his lips and looks at Arobol, his smile just intense and sincere.

"Come one, aren't you humans supposed to be fierce and brave?", Arobol says and laughs.

"I would like to do the Captains Dance", James says and squints his eyes facing away from Arobol and flinches.

In a few seconds he opens his eyes and looks at Arobol, his smile has disappeared and turned into a frown and scaley arms crossed and the guards in the room are in a state of reeling back against James Ceren's statement.

James Ceren May 15th, 1939

Arobol goes to his throne and sits down and holds his head, "Why have you requested such a dreadful thing Ceren?", Arobol asks. When the king addresses you in your last name, it is of ultimate seriousness and James knows this.

"Please my lord, I can't find love in my life and I need your help to find someone. I know the captains dance is old and very disliked now and not one person has used it since your birth, but I was thinking, what if the rules were changed slightly?", James asks and Arobol looks up at him.

"Changed how?", Arobol asks, his piercing draconic eyes looking at James.

"Instead of the ones the people end with as partners when the music stops, and force them to be married, why not just allow them choice? ", James says.

"So you mean basically just a ballroom dance and you get to find your love, IF she accepts you and agrees to love you", Arobol says. James nods and looks down at his shoes. Arobol sighs, "Ok fine", James looks up and smiles the most he ever has, "however, I will have oversight and watch, you cannot force her into marriage and you cannot push her for marriage. You must give love time my friend, ok?" Arobol finishes and James jumps in delight and joy.

Arobol smiles at his friend's happiness and joy. "Thank you so much my lord, you have my word on the conditions you have set and any others that you may have", James says and bows the lowest he can. Upon seeing this Arobol gives a huff of annoyance, "Do not bow that low to me James, you are not needed to, not one person in Draconics, no, in Eras that should bow that low to me or anyone".

James stands up and tears of joy are in his eyes. Will he finally find love with the help of the king himself?

"Thank you so much your Majesty", James says.

Anna Fauler May 18th, 1939

"Dear Anna Fauler", Anna reads the letter aloud. "If you are reading this, then you have been invited to the Grand Castle of Draconics on June 5th, 1939", she gasps and her mother and father, as well as her two brothers do the same. "There will be a ball dance on that day, and there may be a surprise for someone who wins the heart of one man", she continues reading. "May you have Peace and Prosperity, Arobol Dragonking, Peace For Draconics", and the letter is finished along with a ripout ticket at the bottom of the letter.

"My goodness Anna", her mother looks at her shocked, "how in Eras have we been picked for this ball? We are of poor folk, not to mention us as humans".

"Mother you musn't talk like that about the honorable king His Majesty, he loves anthros and humans alike with no indifference", Anna states to her mother in a bit of a shocked tone.

"Are you sure it is from the king himself and not some stupid scam?", her father says looking at the letter.

"Of course it is Father, look at Arobol's signet on the letter", Anna says pointing to the green and blue signet with a crown in the middle.

"This must mean that our being chosen must have been even rarer, as His Majesty never puts out too many signets when he gives letters to us", Anna says and is smiling very much.

"Oh my dear Anna, we must get you prepared", her father says, "you must look presentable to the king, us poor folk must have at least a little chance".

David Wolf May 18th, 1939/North Island

David looks at the letter on the table. He just read something that will change his life forever. His father and mother are next to him. His sister has been called for the dance, but she is in the hospital right now, fighting off the Dragon's fire disease. They haven't found a cure yet, because it doesn't spread between people, it is genetic. Not only that but eventually it leaves and dies off because it doesn't reproduce fast inside the person, so the immune system usually fights it off well, if the disease doesn't kill the person.

But David's sister has just come down with it, and it is brutal to her and causing the money of the family to dwindle. They are becoming poor fast, even with the King's law that all people must be taken cared of, regardless of the ability to pay.

"She cannot go you know", his father says. "But father please there must be a way, if we are selected then the king surely knows how many should be there", David says turning to his father, his wolf skin and fur that he wears turns with him, showing they are canors.

"What do we do? If we don't show up then the king will know, we could be found guilty for disobeying the king", David's mother says. She is a bit older than her husband, and walks with a bit of a limp and cannot dance. All three of them know about this, "What do we do?", David's mother says.

"I will go, I am the same size as my sister and I can match her voice a little", David says and his parents look at him, mouths agape.

"Doing so will have us killed", His father bellows.

"Not doing so will have us killed along with my sister!", David snaps back.

Back