Our Movement

Pauline Bonaparte

Her Worshipfulness
-
TNP Nation
Floresque
Discord
DivaythFyr
Samantha Walker had just been appointed the general secretary of the Party for Modernization in Novrith, and she was late to a meeting. It was a fifteen minute walk from the college to the meetinghouse on the corner of Saint Oramyn and 15th, a ten minute jog, and a seven minute sprint. The meeting was going to start, however, in three minutes. 5:00pm - and Domer never waited for stragglers.

Cars laid on their horns as she galloped through intersections in one-minute intervals. It seemed like the traffic was especially heavy today, which gave her plenty of opportunities to bolt into the street without getting hit. She watched the street signs carefully as she was still unfamiliar with the area - 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th! Two more blocks, heading uptown - Saint Rolis, then Saint Venîm, then Saint Oramyn. She could hear distant sirens. Traffic was at a near standstill now, allowing her to run even faster.

As passed Saint Rolis Street she could see that there were ambulances parked up the street. She cursed under her breath. Hopefully they didn't shut down the sidewalk. As she approached Saint Venîm she noticed there was a thick crowd on the street. She felt something in her stomach that she had not felt since she left the refugee camp in County Traval. Sam slowed her sprint to a light jog, trying to catch her breath. She slid through the crowd at first, but as she got closer to Saint Oramyn she had to nearly push her way through. The sidewalk was closed - and there were ambulances and police in front of the meetinghouse. Her heart sank.

-----

"I need to get in there!" she yelled at a police officer manning the barricade. He responded to her as if she was a child - it almost looked like he was about to smirk.

"This area of the street is closed."

Still catching her breath, she looked to the left and right. She saw a tall, older woman in traditional Myrorian dress crying into her hands. She looked up and met Samantha's gaze.

"Sam!"

"'Ésa!" It was Nathésa Moontrith. She showed up to every meeting with a plate of baked goods and to see her without any added to the bizarre scene. Samantha pushed her way through the crowd and embraced her. She smelled of brown sugar and arthritis cream.

"Oh, saints above! You are okay!"

"What's going on? What's happening?" Samantha asked, unable to catch her breath. She looked towards the meetinghouse as she let go of Nathésa and saw two detectives in blue latex gloves taking black rifle magazines with attached evidence tags to their car.

"We were about to start and, and, a group of men in black came in and began shooting!" Nathésa said between sobs. "Domer, they - they - they - "

Samantha saw paramedics carry a stretcher with a body bag on it down the stairs. She realized tears were streaming down her face.

"Sam, they asked us before they - they - they said, 'where is the Kianese professional mourner?'"

Samantha's heart sank even deeper in her chest than it was before.

"They said 'no refugee can be a mourner at Myrorian funerals.'"

Samantha grabbed Nathésa's hands. Normally she wouldn't sing a dirge without being paid for it, but something came over her. Samantha's thick accent disappeared when she sung in Myrorian. Together, in the midst of the crowd, the two women keened:

"Spirits and ancestors above,
watch over these departed souls.
Ease their transition.
Forgive their living transgressions.
Allow them to guide us.
Teach them how to run through the fertile fields beyond.
Watch over these departed souls,
spirits and ancestors above.
"

Six months later

Spring had turned to summer, which turned to fall. Orange and yellow leaves clung to trees outside Samantha's office in the meetinghouse of the Party for Modernization. Of the twelve members of the Party for Modernization who met that day in Novrith, she and Nathésa were the only survivors. By the end of August, there were 45 dues-paying members and 80 associates. Samantha fell into leadership as naturally as she could. For many in Myroria with a progressive mindset, she was a hero. To others she was a hated foreign interloper, probably under the employ of the McMasterdonian secret service.

The initial momentum from the attack allowed the Party to organize some successes. The mayor of Novrith, the largest city in Myroria, was going to be elected, rather than appointed, for the first time in the nation's history next year. There were rumors that soon foreigners would be allowed to visit Myrorian religious sites nationwide rather than in only the most liberal areas of the country. Samantha, for her part, felt these concessions mostly symbolic. Nationally, the average Myrorian still had little, if any, political power. Money and birth were what gained you access to the halls of power in the All-House Union.

To make matters worse, the police in Novrith had little inclination to investigate the attack on the party's meetinghouse in March. There were still no leads, let alone charges. Samantha felt increasingly sure, despite the assurances of the police chief, that this was a deliberate attempt to keep it out of the news and silence the movement. At the end of September, she resolved to draft a letter to sympathetic parties overseas who could put pressure on the government. The national leadership of the Party would strictly forbid this, so she didn't ask them.

To whom it may concern:

Please keep the precise contents of this letter confidential. I am Samantha Walker, chairperson of the Party for Modernization in Novrith City, Myroria. The political situation here in the All-House Union is quite dire. Apart from rural townships and the pending mayoral election here in Novrith next year, there is no form of democratic election in this country. The nation's legislature, the Council of Great Houses, is merely a rubber-stamp parliament comprised almost entirely of unelected nobility and religious officials. The closest thing to reformers in the legislature, Great House Vrotrith, are committed to working 'within the system' and have proven entirely useless.

The Party for Modernization refuses to work with this corrupt, undemocratic government. We are committed to change from below, by the people. This commitment scares many. In March, our meetinghouse here in Novrith City was attacked by extremists and ten of our members were killed. Neither the municipal or provincial police intend to bring the perpetrators to justice. You are receiving this communication because you are known to be sympathetic to movements like ours which agitate for people's power. I implore you to put pressure on the Myrorian government to investigate these killings and bring justice to our attackers. The Sedera and legislature will not listen to commoners but they cannot ignore high-profile pressure from abroad.

The Party for Modernization continues to grow and anyone who aids us in this endeavor will be our friends and allies forever. Thank you for reading this and, again, please keep the contents of this letter confidential.

Samantha Walker,
Chairperson of the Party for Modernization, Novrith, Myroria

STIA Outpost: CODENAME RHIPPLE - Novrith
conversations are translated from Ozian and Myrorian
"Can you believe this asshole? He's left his shower on for 30 minutes and not even gone in yet." Aezhe, a late twenties woman with Myrorian facial features said, hunched over three widescreens, a loud mechanical keyboard, and a desk full of Ozian take-out boxes and almost empty Myrorian brandy bottles.

"Are you sure we're not compromised?" Saefal, a short middle forties woman with darker skin, looked over her shoulder at a screen full of streaming terminals and a database interface. She took a moment to check the brandy bottles until she found one with some liquid-warmth left. "Shit, I could be paid in this stuff."

"We're definitely not, there's audible phone taps registering with the listener in his living room. Also be a gentleman and pour me some?"

Saefal swung an empty bottle back and forth before tossing it into a corner bin, "I think we've drank the harbor dry."

They were inside an old warehouse on a street called Rhiple with a printed sign RHIPPLE WAREHOUSE over the entrance. Rhipple Warehouse was registered in Myroria as a non-profit workshop for Community Outreach and Education on Electronic based Hobbies. While not completely true, since it was an Ozian Intelligence outpost, it wasn't completely false either. They never profited from things made there, and they host local youth outreach programs and open workshops.

Across the warehouse were over used tables and rusted cabinets full of torn apart electronics, circuit boards, spools of different color wires, solder guns, and all sorts of other crap.

"Finally stepped in the shower," Aezhe said.

"Who and what was he texting?"

Thanks to an incredibly vain and popular dating app, Hoppin', they had a keylogger on his phone.

lstn.stdout:
Enis Luther (l00ther1994): yo, u goin to the brooks?
Kendrick Sanford (chiliman6969): fuk ya dude, im goin get fing smashd
Enis Luther (l00ther1994): lol dude, ur wild
Kendrick Sanford (chiliman6969): r u goin to get a pull tonite or not? been ages man
Enis Luther (l00ther1994): lol fuk off man, itll happen

"Kenny-boi, Just another upper-house hookup party."

"Message him on Hoppin' for a date, let's bag 'em, I'm really tired of watching this guy."

"Yes comrade."

AmkzIoL.png

lstn.stdout:
Enis Luther (l00ther1994): im gunna be late man
Kendrick Sanford (chiliman6969): SA, y?
Enis Luther (l00ther1994): gotta go splunkin for a bit
Kendrick Sanford (chiliman6969): D A T S
Kendrick Sanford (chiliman6969): M A H
Kendrick Sanford (chiliman6969): B O I

19 Avanti Boulevard; Executive Mansion of the State Curator
Elephant Island, Pataliputra Imperial City Territory, Syrixian Empire

Diwan Sahab sat quietly at his desk in his office, reading over papers. Today had, so far, not been a particularly special day. There were no groundbreaking or controversial legislative bills in debate, nor were there any events that he had needed to go to. It was just business as usual in the Imperial government. However, Diwan Sahab was also the Party Prefect of the Svatantantra Janata Party- the People's Freedom Party- the ruling party in Congress. And as such, Samantha's letter would inevitably find itself in his hands.

An attendant knocked on the door and was bid entrance into Diwan Sahab's office. "Sir, there's a letter for you. I'm told it's top secret." the attendant remarked, quietly. "Thank you." Diwan Sahab responded. The attendant then respectfully nodded and left the room, whilst Diwan Sahab took the letter to his private study. What he saw was damning, and definitely worthy of high security clearance.

Please keep the precise contents of this letter confidential. I am Samantha Walker, chairperson of the Party for Modernization in Novrith City, Myroria. The political situation here in the All-House Union is quite dire. Apart from rural townships and the pending mayoral election here in Novrith next year, there is no form of democratic election in this country. The nation's legislature, the Council of Great Houses, is merely a rubber-stamp parliament comprised almost entirely of unelected nobility and religious officials. The closest thing to reformers in the legislature, Great House Vrotrith, are committed to working 'within the system' and have proven entirely useless.

The Party for Modernization refuses to work with this corrupt, undemocratic government. We are committed to change from below, by the people. This commitment scares many. In March, our meetinghouse here in Novrith City was attacked by extremists and ten of our members were killed. Neither the municipal or provincial police intend to bring the perpetrators to justice. You are receiving this communication because you are known to be sympathetic to movements like ours which agitate for people's power. I implore you to put pressure on the Myrorian government to investigate these killings and bring justice to our attackers. The Sedera and legislature will not listen to commoners but they cannot ignore high-profile pressure from abroad.

The Party for Modernization continues to grow and anyone who aids us in this endeavor will be our friends and allies forever. Thank you for reading this and, again, please keep the contents of this letter confidential.

Samantha Walker,
Diwan Sahab knew of the political situation in Myroria, and he therefore knew that it would be greatly expedient to find out more about this letter and to pass it along to other officials in the government and, eventually, the Empire's allies. The letter, therefore, made its way to the Secretary of State and his Under-Secretary, both SJP members, as well as the Master-General of the Imperial Armed Forces and the Emperor himself. On the advice of the Emperor, the Secretary of State- Rahul Khanna- and Diwan Sahab directed the Darshak, the Imperial intelligence agency, to pen and encrypt a letter to its counterpart in Goyanes.
Message- Heavily Encrypted:
REPRESENTATIVE FROM SGNC2 (NUP PREF.) INVITED TO CHIANG MAI, TRUONG AUTONOMOUS REGION.
IMPORTANT MATTER TO DISCUSS REGARDING CORRESPONDENCE FROM SGNC246.
SHOULD YOU ACCEPT; DO NOT COME IN OFFICIAL MANNER; ENTER CITY BLENDED IN HOWEVER NECESSARY.
RELEVANT DOCUMENTATION AND PASSPORTS WILL BE PROVIDED TO REPRESENTATIVE.
PLEASE RESPOND WITH ALL HASTE.

letter:
To whom it may concern:

Samantha Walker,

Annie Gram held the folded the letter in her hands as the National Committee of the Social Democratic Party of Prydania met. Elections were forthcoming, and so much had already been done to get the fledgling organization off the ground.

"I think we need to own this" she said matter of factly, gesturing with the hand holding the letter as the last arriving member took his seat.

There was a moment of pause as the committee members, all of whom had been briefed on the letter's contents, looked to each other.

It was Victor Sørensen, head of the Haland branch of the Party, that spoke up.
"Why, Annie? The All-House Union is half a world away. We've got too much going on as-is."

Freddy Birk, head of the Keris branch, spoke up next.
"I have to agree with Vic here. It's bad enough trying to get people to understand we're not Syndicalists. I don't know how things are here in Beaconsfield, but in Keris? It's a slog. Block by block. Jacobsen's little insurgency really set us back out west in the March."

Annie just sat back and looked Victor straight on.
"What's our stance on the PGU?"

Victor cleared his throat.
"We're going to honour our international commitments, but use our voice at the table to try and advocate for a more constructive role for the PGU."

Annie nodded, turning to Fred.
"Our stance on the Bergum Pact?"

"Well you know," Freddie continued, "pretty much the same. If we win? We'll try and push the BP in a more productive direction."

"Well I hate to be the barer of bad news but those answers are dry." She raised her hand to preemptively shut down Victor's protest.
"Yeah, I know, Vic. It's a nuanced answer, it's all in the platform. But come on. I can't be the only person who here recognizes that, on the two most important foreign relations issues facing the country, our answer in soundbite form is indistinguishable from the Liberals. And theirs isn't much different from Con-Ags'."

She wasn't going to let up. Not when she was on a roll.
"Look. We need to convince this country that we're different. Not just from the Syndicalists, but from the new-old establishment. You think Magnus Brandt is going to risk his neck standing up for the people of Myroria? No, because the Liberals might as well be Vrotrith, to use a Myrorian comparison."

She sighed, her body relaxing as she continued.
"We all promised each other that we'd fight for a new kind of politics when we formed this party. And that's what I'm saying this is. We've gotten bogged down in the trenches, trying so hard to avoid accusations that we're Syndicalists in disguise that we're not actually advancing anything new. This is our chance. We're going to make this an issue, because we're the Social Democratic Party of Prydania. And we stand up for the common man here, and abroad."

The room was silent for a few moments.
"So you'll draft the letter then?"

"Yes Fred. I'll draft the letter."

letter:
Chairperson Walker,

I would like to let you know that the Social Democratic Party of Prydania weeps for you and your losses. We are likewise inspired by your movement's ability to respond from such tragedy with so much vigour.

Our own movement in Prydania is quite young, but like you we are committed to change for the common people of our country. I am unsure of what I can promise you, other than that we will use our own upcoming elections to shine a light on the abuses of the All-House Union government. Our own success is far from guaranteed, but we will do what we can to make Prydania, and whatever government it has following that election, know that the status quo in the Union is unacceptable.
I would also like to send a member of our Party to act as a liaison between our two movements.

All the best,
Annie Gram, Leader of the Social Democratic Party of Prydania

Aezhe walked down an arabesque and very golden hallway counting loft numbers to the right one for Luther's place. She wore the nicest thing she owned to have any semblance that she belonged in this apartment building, but her plain colored blouse and slacks placed her in the category of servants.

412, there we are.

She reached in her mouth for her gum and stuck it in the peep hole. She pressed the door bell twice and the softest chime resonated from behind the door. As someone approached the door, she drew a silenced .22 pistol to her side.

He tried looking through the peep hole, "Wha-? Who's there?"

She put on a posh metropolitan Myrorian accent, "It's Ana silly," She managed to muster a giggle, "I've come for that drink. I need you to look away though, I have a little surprise for you."

Before she finished speaking he fumbled the locks open in an erratic and jumbled rhythm. The door went ajar just a bit. She pressed it open. He said, "I'm not peaking"

He stood by an antique table, only in silky boxers, with his eyes covered by his hands. When she walked in he had inched his finger down to take a look, and he dropped his hands, "What the fuck? You're not Ana! You're old, a fuckin' catfish!"

She interrupted him by shutting the door, raising the gun, and switching to her normal Ozian accent, "Shut the fuck up and move over there." She nodded her face towards his living room that had a TV almost the size of the wall it was mounted to. "Turn on the TV."

He hadn't yet comprehended the situation, and the command went ignored. Visibly shaken he said, "Please lady, just take anything, I have jewelry, I have money, just--"

She shouted and pointed the gun at him, "Turn the fucking TV on."

He raised one of his hands out to her, "Okay, okay!" He grabbed one of his 5 giant remotes and flicked it on. It was on a bad Myrorian police procedural.

"Turn the volume up." He did. "Louder."

On the TV, a woman with a Special Investigation badge slammed her fist on a table and yelled at a perp, "I don't care whose house you're part of scum! I'll make your life hell. Now, where's the girl!?"

Luther began to watch the TV. She snapped at him, "'Ey, 'ey, 'ey. Eyes here and listen Luther, I don't need your money. In fact, at the end of this, I might be giving you money, enough that you might be able to hide those debts you accrued from daddy."

"How do you kno-?"

"We know that you waste about 90,000 liters of water annually by leaving the shower on, you've got a pathetic hoppin' message history, and you're about 20 fat ones in the toilet. We know everything about you, my boi."

"Listen man," He squeaked on the word man. "I don't want to get involved with my dad's politics, I just want to live my life, y'know? I'm sure my dad will understand my problems, just want to live a little before I have to go on some volunteer mission to Funkadelia or somethin'."

"You're not going to Funkadelia, this is how it's actually going to work. You get paid and do exactly as we say, or we're going to fuck you. We won't kill you, probably, but-"

The TV suddenly had a yelling match, "I DON'T KNOW WHERE SHE IS!"-

"I pride myself on my work and would love nothing but making sure you're homeless and an addict in the fucking alleys before I'm done with you. No banks will want your account, no property will give you a lease, no one will invest, no one will want you to employ you, we'll pull half your teeth out, and break as many bones in your body as we want. We will fuck you. Now say roses if you understand," she said.

"R-roses." He sat there in shock, "W-what will you make me do?"

"Well first give me your cell phone and wallet. Then get your clothes on for the party, and where's your keys?"

He pointed to a pile of dirty clothes on the floor, "In the pocket of my jeans."

They approached his waxed black sports car, "Nice ride."

A little fear escaped him, "It's a Master Series S 2015, one of the last to come out of McMasterdonia before the war."

"Very cool. I think we'll be friends Luther," She got into the drivers seat.

"H-hey I don't let anyone else drive."

"You're going to have some changes in your personality starting today Luther. Like now you're going to stop being a prick and let me drive this car. Get in."

"Yes, yes."

She drove out of the building's garage, driving over bumps at full speed and grazing another car before driving out onto the road.

"Dude! Come on! Where did you learn to drive?"

"Ozipol"

"Do they even have cars there?"

"I want to stay friends Luther, so I'm going to need you to stop talking about the Divine City like that."

They came across a dirty old alley, and she turned in, scraping the bottom of the car on the pothole ridden alley. The sound made him cringe, "DUDE!"

"Get out."

"What?"

She pointed the gun at him, "I said get out."

He stepped out of the car inspecting the damage, and then she got out on her side, "Toss your watch, earrings, and anything in your pocket inside the car."

"Fuckin' hell man." He complied, and when he was down he said "Now what?"

She raised the gun again and popped two shots into his right arm and one into his knee. He dropped immediately on the ground holding his arm and crying. The blood and pain gushing out put him in a state of shock.

"OH FUCK! WHAT THE FUCK! I'M GOING TO DIE, I'M DYING. I'M BLEEDING! YOU SAID WE WERE FRIENDS. YOU KILLED ME-"

"We are, come on. It's just a little bullet"

"IT'S NOT ONE BULLET."

"Just calm down. I mugged you. You say you were mugged and you couldn't look at his face, HIS face, not her, and we'll know if you rat."

She twisted off the silencer then fired randomly at the wall he was leaning on. She then deeply shouted, "PASS YOUR WALLET, IT'S YER MONEY OR YOUR LIFE."

"Thanks for the car, we'll get you another one." She got back in the car and took off.

When she got some distance she pressed the emergency button on the bluetooth device, she used her posh accent, "Hello? I heard gunshots near Cedar and Vern, I think someone was mugged."

A comms officer sat at his post, jotting down the seemingly useless string of numbers and letters. As the stream of information ended over the shortwave channel, he began translating it. Letter by letter, number by number, he decoded the message with a one time pad. The message was clear. He knew it’s destination. He sprang up from his chair and ran over to the CO of the comms brigade, message in hand.

“Lieutenant Commander, Sir!” He paused before continuing. “We have received this message from the Syrixian government. Priority clearance alpha 1.”

“Thank you, private.” responded the CO. “Back to your post.”

Minister of the Interior, Siegmund Walther, was abruptly interrupted during his meeting by a uniformed member of the Unterretningstjeneste (URT), Goyanes’ intelligence agency.

“Herre Walther, may I speak to you in private please.”

“Of course”, responded Walther.

He walked into the corridor with the URT member.

“We need you dispatched to Chiang Mai, Syrixia. A meeting of utmost importance.”

“Very well”, responded Walther.

“We will be waiting at your residence this evening to transport you to St. Olaf’s Field[note]St. Olaf's Field is the colloquial name for Gojannesstad International Airport.[/note] to fly to Syrixia.”

“Thank you, officer.”

Siegmund Walther’s residence, central Gojannesstad.
9:00PM Goyanean Time

A heavy knock on the door was answered by Mr. Walther. It was several URT members, as they promised earlier, here to take him to St. Olaf’s Field to fly to Syrixia.

He got into the armored, car, which sped off to the airport, sirens ablaze.

Ezekias Tewolde twiddled the cigarette he'd been smoking around between his fingers as he sat at his small desk in a small, smoke-filled room in the basement of a skyscraper in Aksum, Funkadelia's capital. Normally he would not be at the headquarters this late at night, but Deborha had called him in on an "urgent matter." He looked at his watch, then sighed, continuing to play with his cigarette. His mind drifted off to what he should have been doing tonight -- watching football with his fiancee and enjoying a nice, home-cooked meal. No sooner could he think about what she was going to have ready in the kitchen for him when he got home than Deborha Kriros, the leader of the Funkadelic Popular Front organization, burst into the room and closed the door behind her.

She adjusted her now-disheveled hair so that it looked a little more like her normal self. "Sorry I'm late," she said as she hurried over to sit at the chair on the other side of the desk from Ezekias.

She continued, "We've got something pretty important from one of our people in Myroria."

Ezekias looks up for a second as he struggles to think of the name of the party member attached to the anti-monarchists in Myroria. Amare? Araya? Whatever, the guy knows what he's doing.

"They're looking to make some big movements over there, and they need some support from us. Now, our efforts here in Jaribuur have been making some considerable progress, so we've making a lot of allies here downtown."

Ezekias' eyes darted around for a second, then he focused back on Deborha. "Sooooo, what does two things have to do with one another?"

"Here's what: now is our time to act. Clearly, working alone won't really help all that much. However, if we agitate the urban residents in solidarity with the oppressed people of Myroria, our voice will be combined with the Party for Modernization, and anyone else who decides to agitate for the same thing. The up-swell of radical action in Myroria with the support of our own people will send a message to the Negusa1 that he cannot ignore. Now do you get me?"

Ezekias' eyes widened now. "Wow, that's really a good idea..." He drifted off.

Before he could finish his sentence, Deborha interjected. "Yeah, it is. It's what we've worked for for years. Now, what I need you to do is send a message out to Abdel and tell him to get a message to the POM people about our plan to support them fully." She got up from her chair, smiling with anticipation of what was to come. "This is our big chance!"

Ezekias smiled back, and after he was sure she had left the room he sighed as he slid his typewriter over in front of him on his desk. Now, he knew he wasn't going to be able to catch any of the game tonight.

1 The King

Darshak Regional Outpost- Codename "RANIKHET CHEESE SHOP"
Chiang Mai, Truong Autonomous Region, Syrixian Empire

The Goyaneans had indeed responded. They were sending Siegmund Walther, their Minister of the Interior. Over in Goyanes he was the head of their intelligence agency, the Unterretningstjeneste, ex officio, due to his MoI position. A strange concept, but at least he was a member of the National Union Party, or NUP- the SJP's Goyanean counterpart. The Imperial government responded by choosing Rajat Mirpuri, the Under-Secretary of State. Rajat was young, clever, and less known than his boss Rahul Khanna; and he had also spent time as a member of the Darshak before getting into politics.

The local Darshak outpost, masqueraded as a fake cheese shop, was where the conversation would occur. Inside the storage room was a fake freezer that led to the underground base. Rajat had covertly made his way to the shop and into the base, ready to begin the dialogue whenever Walther arrived. A Darshak agent was at the airport, with orders to give Walther the address to the "Ranikhet Cheese Shop"- 145 Prajadhipok Avenue. Rajat had with him a copy of the letter, as well as knowledge on the opinions of the Party and the Emperor on the matter. Now all that was left to do was to wait for Walther.

Like an actress waiting to step onto the stage, Samantha waited in a back room of a middle-class Novrith funeral home for the ceremony to begin. She would resent such a comparison. To call her professional mourning "acting" implied, in her opinion, that she was being insincere. She tried to treat every funeral like it was her own parents', the two of them killed in a terrorist attack in McMasterdonia shortly before the beginning of the civil war. Her wails were real, and her tears too, for the most part. The fact she got paid to display such grief was merely incidental. In fact, to have a gift like her's and not use it to pay her way through college would be foolish.

Despite her strong feelings on the nature of her occupation, it was still considered an acting gig by almost everyone in the country except for her - especially by those who survived the recently departed. Mourners had roughly the same reputation as dentists to most people - an unenjoyable part of life. They were tradition; you paid them their fee so that they could display the raw, powerful, strictly structured, exaggerated grief you could not.

She could not possibly have found a job anywhere but Novrith. In Novrith, they practically put kombucha and granola bars in your casket as they slid it into the crematorium. In most of the country, immigrants were not allowed within 500 feet of a funeral home or tomb and refugees might as well give either a full mile's berth.

Solemn percussive music began to play outside the "green room". The deep bass rattled the pictures on the walls. Samantha prepared to step out into the wake hall when her phone vibrated:

Maruven (party capital office)
10:31AM

we found out about your letter. Who did you send this to? Call ASAP

She felt a knot in her chest. She knew it was a bad idea not to ask the home office for permission, but how had they found out already? A leak somewhere? Her wails at today's ceremony would have a particularly anxious tone to them.

Miran Szul didn't like mail. Between the capitalist pigdog advertisers, the eager Eruvite missionaries, and the erucifergolend bill collectors, it was almost always disgusting.

Today there was something different. Today there was a worn envelope with weird postmarks and a more-or-less incomprehensible from address in Myroria.

Who would be writing to the People's Militia of Carth from Myroria? The chairperson of the Party for Modernization, apparently.

Miran Szul liked mail, now.

Mrs Walker,

We have received your plea and will table it in the next meeting of the People's Militia of Carth steering committee, this coming Thursday. I expect to communicate your case also to the People's Militias of Feszeki, Naticai, and Onber, and their further correspondents.

Our efforts are necessarily focused in community organizing and political agitation and messaging here in Carth, but I believe we can and must be of some assistance to you. No government in our isles would benefit from the inevitable disapprobation of the Sedera, so your struggle is ours.

Let all men be brothers, and women sisters, in their earning to be free. We are none of us in truth free while any of us are enslaved.

Dr Miran Szul,
Executive Secretary, People's Militia of Carth,
12|15|45 New Street, Carth, 1|10|4 Eluvataran Isles

Oh No! was a coffee shop deep in the most gentrified part of Pelagis. It appealed to a certain type of people - many of its clientele had sympathy towards the quickly growing Party for Modernization. The owner, in particular, had sympathized with them for quite a while - or at least, its more middle-class segment, that was a little less rough-around-the-edges and a little more presentable. People in this part of town, Sam noticed, were just as likely to comment on her foreign dress and accent as any Myrorian - only to say, of course, that they loved them both. It was a welcome relief, of course, but she'd rather people just leave her alone and let her walk down the street.

She got on the 6:00am train from Novrith to get to Pelagis by 8:30a. There were other things she'd have rather done on one of her rare Saturdays off but Maruven refused to speak with Sam over the phone. She continued to rack her mind about how he could have known she had sent letters abroad without the capital office's permission. She used her own postage and letterhead, dropped them at the post office herself... it seemed, sometimes, as if everyone in this country was waiting to throw you under the bus for some political favor.

Oh No! was situated across from a gas station midway between 3rd and 4th Avenue. This part of town reminded her of Novrith, at least in its abundance of cupcake bakeries and coffee shops. Instead of the sea and the slight odor of day-old bait, though, the city smelled of exhaust and the occasional earthy whiff of peat off the moors. It was 9:15, and she was supposed to meet Maruven at 9:30. She walked into the coffee shop and saw a couple of people sitting down and a line at the register. People turned to look at her, their eyes lingering on her for a few seconds before turning back to their newspapers and cappucinos. She scanned the room and saw Maruven at a table in the back, clearly having been there for 20 minutes already. Sam took a deep breath and walked to the table.

She sat quietly, placing her purse on the floor underneath the table. Maruven greeted her politely.

"Just a second," he said. "Let me finish this article."

It was a social ploy she felt certain was intentional - to make her feel even more awkward than she already did. Like a teacher in grade school letting you sit with your guilt.

He folded his paper on his lap and looked at her for a moment. Maruven Ashumanitrith was in his early 40s, with a trim beard, graying at the edges, and a ring of hair - still thick - surrounding his bald crown. He was somewhat of a legend among the scene in Myroria. He worked for years with House Vrotrith, the reformers in the legislature, before leaving in 2011. Everyone knew there was bad blood but he refused to talk about it - saying not a word, neither in their favor or against it. By 2013 he had a reputation for radicalism. His extremes, for the most part, were reined in by the Chair and Steering Committee of the Party. This belied his usefulness to the movement for democracy in Myroria, though. He was still Deputy Chair, and knew intimately the chairpeople of every branch in the country.

"I have to admit, though what you did was wrong, and stupid, and short-sighted, and threatening to what our Party has built these past five years... I was a little proud of you when I first learned you sent those letters." he smirked.

"Ah," Sam said, smiling nervously and brushing brown strands of hair from her face. "Thank you?"

He looked at her for a moment more. He knew how to exploit uncomfortable silence. "You will be glad to know that, for your own good, I have told no one about this. If I did, you would be removed from your post at best, and at worst the Novrith branch would be dechartered. The Steering Committee would not, ah, fuck around with this idiocy."

Sam cleared her throat and shifted in her seat. "Ah, thank you?"

"You have a good head on you, you just need direction. I can tell you are frustrated with the slow pace of reform here."

He's right, Sam thought, but I feel like this is a trick.

Maruven smirked again. It seemed Sam knew how to sit in silence too.

"Am I correct in noticing that?"

She cleared her throat again. "Ah, yes. Yes I am frustrated."

"The Novrith police still have not found the men who killed your colleagues."

Sam felt annoyed. Maruven was toying with her. He had interviewed her extensively before promoting her to Chair of the Novrith branch, he had to know that she could be quick to anger --

"They were not just my colleagues. We built that party from nothing. They were my friends, comrades -- we had a bond."

"Of course. I can't imagine what it must have been like. And to see the cops do nothing - "

"They have still done nothing!" she said, raising her voice. The conversation in the shop quieted. "They have still done nothing," she whispered. "And, with respect, the national party has ignored this too. Ten party members died, you know."

"Now, Sam," Maruven said. "I pressed the Steering Committee for a full investigation, hiring P.I.s, infiltrating conservative groups, the whole nine yards... but if they would not allocate the funds, what could I do?"

Sam said nothing. She sat back in her chair. Righteous anger had replaced her anxiety.

"Listen," he said. "you and I are on the same side. There are many in this party who would politely ask the Sedera for elections. They would take the most obvious falsities, a completely rigged democracy, just so that Myroria could look respectable in the eyes of the rest of the world. You and I understand that that's not enough. If we are to be free, we as a - as a people - we have to take it. No one will give it to us."

Sam nodded slightly.

"But don't get me wrong. This mass letter-writing... it's dangerous. I don't doubt that your letter is in the hands of at least four foreign intelligence agencies right now. And maybe the Bureau of Civil Protection too, who knows..." he said, referencing the Myrorian secret police. "I can do damage control here in the country. But what I need from you, Sam, is to know we're on the same side. Are we?"

Sam nodded slightly.

"Use your words, Sam. I hate when you get like this."

"Yes, Maruven. We are on the same side."

Maruven smirked. "Good. You will probably get offers from foreign parties. Organizations like our own. Fellow travelers. Allow them to offer whatever they want. Let me know exactly what they offer. And tell no one else in our Party about this... not yet, anyway."

Sam nodded slightly. "You have something up your sleeve."

"After what you've done to us, I think I have earned the right to put something up my sleeve."

Siegmund Walther approached the corny-looking cheese shop. He and his staff staggered their entries to minimize suspicion, and descended into the basement level where the conversation was to occur.

He walked into the chamber.

"Rajat. How are you?"

"Siegmund. Thank you for coming. I'm well, but certain things are afoot in, as I'm sure you know, Myroria."

Rajat took two pieces of paper from his pocket holding Sam's letter and passed one to Siegmund.

"We received this earlier today from a Samantha Walker, from the 'Party for Modernization' in Novrith. What do you make of it? Have you received the letter as well?"

"We received the letter as well."

He took a sip from the flask in his coat, the contents of which were unknown to the others.

"We have to act quickly to make sure the events to transpire line up in our favor."

"Agreed." Rajat stated, calmly yet with conviction. "If our two parties got the message, I'm sure that other political parties elsewhere across the world received it as well. With that comes a potential that some may be socialist or even communist parties that may attempt to turn the Party for Modernization to international communism."

Continuing, Rajat noted, "That risk looms large over this undertaking, so we must act fast to prevent the risk of such an occurrence. Perhaps the National Union Party and People's Freedom Party, as well as any parties in coalition or allied with our two parties within our governments, could issue a private collective statement to the Party for Modernization, or specifically, this Samantha Walker."

Dear Ms.Walker,

As we have not received any official release of information we cannot take action. We sympathize with you and if you wish we could message your government urging them to take action. We would leave your involvement anonymous of coarse if you wish. We will do all we can to help you but legal and moral rules constrict us.

Yours truly,
Thomas Nelson

Back