Life in the Empire of Peregrinum

Loz

TNPer
-
Emperor Nicholas
PReym6T.png

The Emperor awoke with a start, as he did most mornings. Sleep does not come easy in the capital and was more elusive to Nicholas than ever following the coronation. Before the abdication of his father, Nicholas had long dreamed of wearing the Laurel of Peregrinum. However his childish dreams faded quickly as his father delegated to him more, and more Powers of the Emperor. By the time of the ceremony itself Nicholas had more apprehension than excitement. That is not to say he did enjoy being the Emperor, but holding the fragile balance of power had proved to be a daunting task. He wondered if this had been the true reason his father abdicated so early. There was tradition of course, but Nicholas suspected that perhaps his father foresaw that maintaining peace can be as difficult as waging war.

A knock at the door from his chamberlain signaled it was time get moving. As he opened the door however, it was not the face of his chamberlain he saw, but instead the stern face of William Conthric the Captain of his guard.

"Good morning Emperor" he said with a curt bow.

"For the last time Will, Sir will suffice, and the bowing is just strange" Nicholas chuckled.

"Of course Emperor" he said with another bow.

From behind the Captain the faint voice of Martin Ronland, Imperial Chamberlain came through.

"Good morning Majesty. I came to wake you, but I see the Captain has taken care of it."

"He has indeed; were you out there all night Will?" Nicholas asked.

"No Sir, the Empress woke me at half past four. She is out for a run with a few of the household guard."

As William moved towards an open chair, Nicholas realized to his shock that he had hardly noticed that half his bed lay empty.

"Oh, very good then. Did she say when she would be returning?" "No sir." William said. "Just that you should get a start without her."

"Alright then I suppose, lets get started. Read the Agenda Martin."

"Certainly Sir, the present members of the Imperial Council will be meeting with Lord Lenneth at 10:00 this morning to discuss the possibility of lowering the tariffs on maritime trade." Martin said, handing Nicholas a folder detailing the specifics.

For faithful service to Former Emperor Michael, Lenneth had been allowed to absorb the shipping companies of less loyal Lords into his own business venture, and now controlled something of a monopoly over imports and exports by sea.

"What else?" Nicholas said.

"After that meeting, your father has requested to meet you, and the Empress for lunch, and following that I have cleared the rest of the day, as we need to finish polishing your speech for this evening."

"The Council comes first of course" Nicholas said with a healthy dose of sarcasm. "What does Lenneth plan on saying?" Said the Emperor as he lazily leafed through the papers.

"The same as always Sir, 'taxes and trade do not match!' I am beginning to suspect that he is using these speeches as some kind of war of attrition, to make us just give up."

The Emperor gave a laugh, and replied "That may be, but it is better to keep the nobles occupied on speeches, than on planning rebellion."

"Quite right." William chimed in, "quite right." "Maintaining the support of the nobles here in the heartland is of unfortunate importance" William continued.

"Indeed...well send a message to my Father to join us for lunch here at the palace, he'll probably have a few ideas for maintaining that support. and as for the speech, we can get there when we get there." Nicholas said as he motioned for the two men to leave him.

"There is in eight hours sir." Martin said as William pushed him through the door.

"Details" the Emperor yelled after him, "Details!"

Praetorian Prefect William Conthric
Lozinak_Praetorian_Guard.png

William Conthric was a complicated man. To the Empire he was the Praetorian Prefect, the Captain of the Emperor's personal guard. In public he seemed tall, and powerful; ready to smite the foes of the Emperor at a moments notice. In private however he was not quite so statuesque. The Prefect was responsible for more than just the physical well being of the Emperor. He was charged with safeguarding the mental and emotional state of the Emperor as well, and It was this duty that kept William the most occupied. The Emperor was a strong man, but young, and with his fair share of demons locked away. William knew this because he had seen them. During the liberation of Brukren William was Praefectus Castrorum of the 1st Legion under Nicholas' control, and together they had faced horror. It was there his thoughts lay now, on the dark mountains, and sunless sky.

"William!" The voice of the Emperor took him by surprise.

"...Yes Sir!" William yelled awkwardly.

"You seemed miles away, is everything alright?" Nicholas said.

"Yes of course Sir. Apologies. Always more to think about."

"Quite right. Now, Father and I wish for you to join us at the table."

"I would be honored Emperor, but I feel it would be improper." William said from a low bow.

"Eyes front Praetorian!" William snapped to attention. "Sir!" The voice that called him he had not heard since the coronation. Michael, Emperor Emeritus, styled by the people as "The Unifyer" stood before him.

"You are in the presence of two Emperors, we will decide what is proper." Said the Former Emperor in a tone that another man might mistake as playful. William however knew better. Michael had never said something he did not mean, and what this meant, to Williams discomfort, was that he would be joining for lunch.

"This way." Michael commanded. As they climbed stairs and walked to the table William noticed he had never been to this balcony before. He wondered if anyone outside the House of Alan, had ever seen this place. It was a small, and private balcony facing the sea, with a small table, laid out with food, yet no servants were present.

"Is this suitable William?" The Emperor asked in jest.

"Of course Sir, the view is stunning, but I don't think I've ever been here."

"I'd think not." Michael chimed in. "It's a bit small for state functions, but it certainly has its uses. May we be seated Emperor?" Michael said slyly in the direction of his son.

"But of course Emperor Emeritus, I wouldn't want to stand in the way of your appetite." Nicholas said with a laugh. "You too William."

Ever courteous, William waited for the two men to begin eating before he began to set his plate. William was also at once aware that there were no servants here. No one to serve meals, and no one to clear plates. William hated breaks in routine, and this was a serious break of routine. As a growing unease crept through him, he knew he was here for something more than bodyguarding.

"Let's get down to business shall we?" Michael said bluntly

"Yes we need to discuss this evening's speech" The Emperor said. “William tonight is going to be more than just the usual address. I'll be announcing a further curtailing of Noble power, while we do not need to go into detail on that now, there is one thing we need to discuss. Tonight I'll be announcing a system of alternate attendance. I trust you know what that mean?"

"More Nobles in the Capital, more people to protect." William said slowly.

"Exactly, and not just any people. Along with some of the greater Lords, we will be hosting the Monarchs of both Krennuk and Brusk. They'll likely bring their own security, but I want the Praetorian ready to guard them should they ask. That said, I need you to find 30 men to elevate to the station of Praetorian in preparation."

"Of course Sir, it shall be done Immediately." William stood, but before he could leave Michael spoke.

"Praetorian, I doubt the Nobles will take this kindly. The last time we reigned them in it caused open rebellion. It may be in all our interest to increase the watch this evening."

"Of course."

Back