TNPer
-
-
-
-
mofa_seal.png
Opening Address
January 12, 2018

As you're probably aware, I am the new Minister of Foreign Affairs. This is a huge responsibility and I am excited to have the opportunity to take on this role. If you read my NSWF lecture (shameless plug) then you know I'm all about this thing called optimistic diplomacy. Our job is to communicate what's going on in TNP with other regions, to be positive examples of TNPers and carry out the vision our delegate has when dealing with other regions. But with all things, how you do this can be drastically different from person to person. Diplomats should be respectful and on their best behavior, naturally, and we will strive to continue that, but as I have said on numerous occasions, this does not mean we have to be robots. This does not mean we have to be the guy who stands on the sidelines because he doesn't want to get his clothes dirty, or get wet, or thinks that he doesn't belong. When we visit other regions, when we write up reports, when we find out what's going on there, none of that has value if we aren't genuinely curious or interested in what we are doing. We must always be cautious, of course. An ambassador can't "go native" and become one of the people who is part of that region, and we shouldn't even think about interfering or taking part when it is not our place. But I don't want you to show up in a forum or Discord, post your letter, and then shut up until the TNL is released. I want us to explore, make friends, develop relationships between these regions. We have ties to the world around us, and we ought to make better use of them. I tried to make this happen on a large scale with the GCRs when I was delegate, so I thought it would be nice to try it with the smaller regions.

To accomplish these (admittedly, very large) goals, I hope I can count on you guys to stretch yourselves a little more, to be present. Foreign Affairs isn't something you can knock out in an hour. We aren't sending telegrams or writing articles for a paper. Were working on a project that started long before we got here, a large canvass filled with paint and images that are constantly subject to change. We're holding the paintbrushes and it's up to us to keep painting. We will never finish the paining, and someday we will pass the brushes on to others. But we must paint ourselves the nicest, most appealing picture we can in the time we have. So when you sign up for this job, be prepared to dive deep. You may not do something FA-related every day, you may not post or chat with people in other regions consistently, but over time I hope that you do engage and in so doing, add color and shape to the painting that is our NS world.

If you have ideas of how this might work, of what approach you would take, let me know. We have a job to do and rules to follow and we must deliver the news and messages between regions that must be heard, and that will always come first. But don't be afraid to think big. The game is changing, and FA simply does not look like it used to. We can be leaders in the world by forging a new path that maybe shakes up people's expectations and gets them thinking about how they relate to each other in a new way. That's what I hope, anyway. I'm optimistic that way.

I would like to confirm that Owenstacey will be remaining as a deputy. Continuity in the office is important as we begin what is the third big shakeup of the ministry in the last couple of terms. There will be others to come. I hope I can count on most of you guys sticking around, but I understand if it may be a bit much, as some of you have already indicated. Look out for the predictable roll call thread to follow.

-Pallaith

I'm extremely excited for the term ahead! Congrats again on the appointment, definitely the right man for the job.

I read this and 100% agree
Strive to be the best ambassador you can be (without joining the region as a citizen)

Back