Sports events

Zeek

TNPer
In nearly every region I have been in the past I have tried to introduce the natives of that region to the wonders of having regional sports competitions, with some success.

When it concerns the NS sub-forum of NS Sports to which to some of the best rpers the game has, very dare to venture into that corner, to the few who have they find a unique rp community unlike any other, where the boundaries of time and space cease to exist. Though I am mostly retired from NS Sports I do have about six years of experience in that little corner and am a resident of oldest sporting region in NS(Atlantian Oceania) and have hosted some events, but most active with my own domestic leagues.

Now enough about myself and about the state of these sporting events in TNP, when I joined the forum I was pleasantly surprised to find sporting rps, and looking through the threads in the Northern Crystal Stadium I do see many in roads that some have taken. I also see the events that succeeded in bringing users to the forum and rping the matches/games all the way to the championship. However though I can see though for every successful event there are a few that didn't get past the sign-up stage.

I do see the potential for having more events, but I can at the same time see a few underlining problems, (1) Users have great ideas, but I can guess executing the event becomes a problem if that user doesn't know how to. (2) Getting users to participate beyond the sign-up stage. (3) Some of these sign-ups are quite complicated. (4) Most importantly, knowledge. The knowledge of how to host a event and how to score it.

So now that i'm finished my simple yet complicated question to you is: Do you feel there is interest in having sport events, if so which sports and who should be in charge of hosting these events and finally are they cannon or non-cannon?

Also you can consider this a Q&A session if you have more questions beyond my own.

There was a plan for holding an Olympics style event that died due to opposition over its name (two of the three organisers refused to change - one of them being me - and wanted to use that conflict as background RP stuff) and some of us are familiar with scorinators and the like but I would definitely be more interested to learn about effective hosting and simplifying sign-up sheets and similar things.

St George:
There was a plan for holding an Olympics style event that died due to opposition over its name (two of the three organisers refused to change - one of them being me - and wanted to use that conflict as background RP stuff) and some of us are familiar with scorinators and the like but I would definitely be more interested to learn about effective hosting and simplifying sign-up sheets and similar things.
I will admit not having an Olympic style event because of the name is quite ridiculous.

Now what I was talking about the complication of sign-ups here are a couple examples:

Nation: (Required Field)

Name of National Manager: (Required Field)

Squad Roster: (Optional - List of players in your squad.)

Kit Colours: (Optional - The colours of your squad kit.)

National Team: {include 3 letter code}

General Manager:

Head Coach:

Team Sweaters: {optional}

Team Roster:

Home Arena: {include capacity and location}

Sign-ups should be simple (ex: I sign-up; I sign-up XX nation) the hard and more fun parts come when you post the rp/roaster/scores thread(everything thread) where you post all your IC info.

(correct me if i'm wrong)I have also noticed that for the Northen Cup at least is that the matches are spaced out by weeks and a single event could take months to finish and I have searched on NS Sports and this forum for a link to the Northern Cup scores thread and haven't found one. Normally when we post the scores and hold the event depending on the popularity** of the sport the whole thing will take less than a month with score posted every day with a few off days, mostly during the knock-out rounds.

** The sports that take longer than a month would be the NS World Cup, The World Baseball Classic, The NS Olympics.

In terms of numbers the largest event is the World Cup with roughly over 120 nations(including puppets) that sign-up. In terms of a pure nightmare to host to which has lead a few to a near mental breakdown would be the Summer Olympics, which about 80 users sign-up for and can take up to 2-3 hours to scorinate. Even many of the most experienced NS Sports veterans who have put in over ten years often say they would never attempt to host the Olympics.

(I'll post more latter, but I have to go to work) But for now here is the NS Sports intro to new users Guide to Sports Roleplaying, which was written by 10+ year veteran Starblaydia.

Syrixia:
Zeek:
I will admit not having an Olympic style event because of the name is quite ridiculous.
THANK YOU.
Having read through that thread to be blunt you focused wayyy too much on a bloody name than actually organizing it, I only counted a small handful of posts that was not about a name. Reading through that topic I wanted to :headbang: The most important element of organization sport events is how the scorinating of the match days will play out(in multi-sport events).

Zeek:
Syrixia:
Zeek:
THANK YOU.
Having read through that thread to be blunt you focused wayyy too much on a bloody name than actually organizing it, I only counted a small handful of posts that was not about a name. Reading through that topic I wanted to :headbang: The most important element of organization sport events is how the scorinating of the match days will play out(in multi-sport events).
Agreed. Also an olympics event would be awesome. We could use a lottery type thing to determine who wins what gold etc.

Nierr used to host football tournaments as well. Would be good to see that start up again.

mcmasterdonia:
Agreed. Also an olympics event would be awesome. (1)We could use a lottery type thing to determine who wins what gold etc.

Nierr used to host football tournaments as well. Would be good to see that start up again.
(1)Luckily we have scorinators for that, so who wins gold will be deiced who finishes best

I've also looked a great deal into what Lord Emmanuel had brain stormed for a Super League, and I will say what he envisioned to thought of is almost exact to what is done in NS Sports for those who want to be part of a more realistic league. Which has only been done a few times due to the amount of time that it takes to complete it. However here that longer time frame would work as no one is in any hurry to get things done and move onto the next.

His use of a transfer window to buy players is exactly what is used in the UICA see the massive spreadsheet used for the transfer window and the back and forth from the two parties in relation to the final price.

The organizing of future events would be very nice to see, however like everything on NS name recognition goes far.

It would be nice to see well organized sporting events. It would be nice if the sign ups for events were announced in a single thread in the lounge. i.e. the organizer x, y, and z events all post in the exact same thread called 'Sporting Event Sign-ups'. Post the name of the event, what sport, what is required, that sign ups are starting, and that they'll finish on x date, and a link to the thread in the stadium.

Too often I've gone in there and sign ups were already closed, and since I wasn't in any of the sporting event I just didn't have a reason to pop in and check regularly so all I'd get is closed sign ups.

I agree with a Regional sporting Olympic event. I would like to participate. the sports delegations of each nation would be sent and the prizes could be by a kind of lottery.

It would put which compenencias are available. Each nation would say in which competitions to participate and winners would be at random.

Panama Coalition:
winners would be at random.
The winners wouldn't and shouldn't be at random, if/should a future Olympic like event be organized and then held the winners would win after their event is scorinated.

For those who don't know, could you explain a little bit more about scorination?

St George:
For those who don't know, could you explain a little bit more about scorination?
As quoted from the NS Sports introdcution guide:

How are scores generated?
Through "scorination"--using Java programs, spreadsheets, or other utilities to come up with scores or results. At the heart of every scorinator is random numbers, but many long-running competitions have ranks that measure past success. Scorinators of these tournaments usually build in advantages to higher-ranked participants; this adds a sense of realism to the simulations. Also, scorinators frequently include RP-bonus (see below).

What is RP bonus?
Many competitions give a ranking bonus for RPs posted, so roleplaying during the competition can help you do better. However, it's important to remember that RPing only increases your chance of winning; it never guarantees a certain result. Higher-ranked participants generally do better than newcomers, while there are always fluky upsets. The best way to deal with unpleasant results is not to complain, but to have fun writing it off.

Ceretis:
Scorination is 1000x better than the random team wins.
Absolutely, especially if those who sent athletes to compete, wanted to rp about their nations progress and how well their athletes and sports teams are doing. With that brings in the RP bonus, which for those who rp the most are given a higher chance at doing better. Pulling names out of a hat takes away from the competitiveness and the joy that is rping sport events.

Back