Changing of the Guard

mtboy66

TNPer
On the highway towards the Drake family farm / Emergency Bunker #02. October 4th, 2017, 1:17PM

"What?!"
That's all Amara could say, and think. It was an unthinkable piece of news.

"Your brother... is dead. That is all we can conclude. We don't even have a body." repeated Ashley Nilson, Captain of the Parliamentary Guard.

There were three other guards besides Ashley in the black armored SUV. One was driving, the rest - keeping watch. The road they were on was mostly quiet, thankfully. It wasn't a main artery like the roads between the cities or the major towns, but a two lane connector for the outlying farms that fed the nation and even others. The Drakes' personal farm, no different.

What was different was only done fairly recently: During the 1990s, surplus funds were used in a military program that built 9 "emergency bunkers" - safe houses, for each of the provinces. They were meant as rest points on the path towards Falcon's Nest Bunker, Thenaca's national security and catastrophe response HQ. One of these safe houses was built under the Drakes' farm, and was the closest one for all government officials who stayed in Talmain, including the PM, the PA, and their family.

The SUV turned off of the highway and onto the long driveway towards the old farm house. In its basement was the entrance to the bunker. And there, they watched the national media.
Various news stations reporting on segments of this crazy morning: The explosion in David's office and numerous other public spaces. "Terrorist" forces in the capital and other major cities. Even reports of a tense conflict between the Parliamentary Guard and the Army...?
Then there was the repeating segment about the new "emergency" Prime Minister. A General Kyle Baker. And his speech about how he became new PM (including a big white lie about him being approved by the Chiefs of Staff and the Prime Advisor - that being Amara herself).
He had accusations toward Parliament of "massive corruption" and treason, that they colluded with the terrorists and murdered David.
He also declared a nationwide state of martial law, and publicly barked orders to arrest the "terrorists", "corrupted Parliament", and other "traitors" within the government.
To say that the nation and its people were shocked and horrified, would almost be an understatement. Nothing like this has ever happened before...

It took a while before Amara could sift out in her mind what's reality and what's probably fabrication by this new regime. She concluded that the "terrorist" forces were in fact in league with this "new" PM, and that the whole thing is a staged coup.

"Ashley, take us to the Falcon's Nest. We need to take down this bastard before he takes the whole nation down with him." Amara calmly, but angrily stated.

"Couldn't agree more, ma'am." The Captain readily replied.

After a couple of minutes of taking whatever supplies they needed, they set out towards Falcon's Nest Bunker.

Inside General Kyle Baker's office, HQ wing, Talmain military base. October 4th, 2017, 11:21AM

"...Thank you gentlemen, this meeting is now adjourned." Kyle stated. Concluding a long tele-meeting with the Chiefs of Staff, other military officers and even local police chiefs, about the "drastic" situation.
The only ones who were personally with the general were his personal bodyguard, his personal aide, and a close friend - Colonel Alice Maguire.
Once the screen turned off, Kyle smiled towards Alice. "How on schedule are our plans?"

"All according to schedule, your Imperial Magnificence." Alice replied with a smile and a short bow.
Then the smile faded as she remembered. "...But there is still the problem of the former Prime Minister David Drake. We could not find his body. Not even a streak of blood. And we could not locate Amara before she was evacuated, either."

"Ah... a shame. But no matter. Once the people see how glorious Thenaca becomes without them, they won't be missed - the old rule will not be missed." Kyle confidently boasted.
He then got up from his desk and made a gesture that symbolized swearing loyalty to the Syrixian Empire. "For the Empire."

"For the Empire!" the other three echoed, with the same gesture.

On the road outside Reddintown, deep inside the Blackwolf Mountains. October 4th, 2017, 8:04PM

"There it is. Reddingtown, the last stop before Falcon's Nest." Ashley explained. "We also should be close enough to contact them via short-range radio." Which she promptly started doing on her standard-issue headset and radio communicator.

Amara had been listening to the car's radio for recent news. Notable headlines included the Parliamentary Guard and Parliament itself surrendering and being put under arrest.
The terrorist forces had been mostly shot down and/or captured.
And media speculation about the new PM's agenda, which has been concealed other than the "We will resecure Thenaca and make it better than ever before!" from the speech earlier.

The 'make it better than ever before' part made Amara sick to her stomach thinking about what it could mean, as none of the probable scenarios meant any good to the people and the nation at large. They were the ramblings of a madman bent on accumulating power...

But she was brought out of her thoughts when Ashley encountered trouble. "...NSHQ, do you copy? ...NSHQ, hello? Is anyone there...?!" Only more silent static was the response. She ripped the headset off and threw it against the dashboard in anger. "Damn it! How many allies does this guy have? How many bases has he compromised?!" Ashley wasn't looking for answers, just a way to end this living nightmare. She sighed and shook her head in disbelief. "...Corporal, find us a motel."

"Yes, ma'am." Was his reply. And within a minute they stopped at a dinky little motel in a small town that mainly housed the common personnel from Falcon's Nest Bunker and their families.

Amara was disappointed that they couldn't count on any of their official backup plans. "Do we have any options left?"

Ashley had to stop and think, leaning against the outside of the SUV. ...Till an idea hit her. "The forest fire watch tower, up on that ridge...!" She exclaimed, pointing towards it. "Years ago we upgraded the high-powered radio transmitter and antenna, to something even capable of transmitting overseas."

"Years ago? Does it still work?" Amara questioned.

"It's not state-of-the-art tech, no, but it still works - I hope. We've never had to use it since the tests." Ashley continued. "As for how it works: It transmits on all possible frequencies, and has a theoretical max range of about 7,000 kilometers-"

"That's over half the region!" Amara exclaimed, astonished that something like this even exists.

"-At max output... And between the batteries and the emergency generators required to produce that kind of signal strength, we have about half an hour of transmitting time, non-stop." Ashley finished.

"Then we'll have to make the message we send, count. And we'll do it tomorrow morning, when most people are awake." And with that, they went in the motel to catch whatever sleep they could get. The call for help will be tomorrow...

Inside General Kyle Baker's office, HQ wing, Talmain military base. October 4th, 2017, 9:29PM

Kyle was busy coordinating the new temporary government, when a video-call came in. Kyle answered it, and on screen was a military officer, a Major within the intelligence corps.

"Sir, we've just finished confirming the capture and-or death of the terrorist leaders and their force." The Major stated.

Kyle's face lit up like he'd been waiting for this moment. "This is excellent news, Major! We can finally get to rebuilding our great nation!"

The major simply nodded back. "Sir, there is also another thing we discovered. The leaders all had Yeran military identification, captain-level. And they're still within date too. We've concluded that this wasn't just a random terrorist attack, but a staged attack by mercenaries and military officers who were still serving in their army."

Kyle already knew this - because they were under his orders. And the tags? Near-authentic replicas off of the blackmarket. But he cleverly feigned shock and anger for the Major. "T-this is an outrage! The way they could even let this happen is if they supported it! ...Thank you for bringing this news to me, Major. I will prepare the best response to this... this atrocity. You are dismissed, Major."

The major saluted back and the screen went blank again. Once he was gone, Kyle just felt like celebrating. "Yes... yes! This is just simply brilliant. Give the people an enemy to hate and rage against, and they'll support anyone willing to destroy it. It's so simple!"

By then, he was done being giddy and was ready to exploit this opportunity in-full. He texted a secure message to Alice: "phs 1 complt. phs 2 rdy. fte" (Phase one complete. Phase two ready. For the Empire) Then came the return message less than a minute later. "fte" (For the Empire)

On a fishing pier within a minor village of one of the many Native Thenacan tribes, off the coast between Talmain and Averence. October 4th, 2017, 6:57PM

"This is so FUBAR, sir..."

"Yeah, I know."

"Like being exiled, y'know? We should be out kicking Kyle's ass and putting you and our home back in place - sir."

"I know, Daniel. ...In the good book, it mentions early on about a snake and a man. The snake will bruise the man's heel, but the man will crush the snake's head.
It means he'll get what's coming to him, when the time is right. But we need help. And I know my sis will pull through for us, for everyone. And when she does, that snake... will be... crushed."

At a state address event, in front of the Parliament building. October 5th, 2017, 8:00AM

Kyle was standing tall for the cameras and local crowds, with a grave look on his face, just like he'd rehearsed. "Show time..." Was his last thought before he began his new speech. A speech he believed would rally the nation into anger and nationalistic fervor.

"Citizens of our great land of Thenaca. It has been reported to me that our brave men and women in service have fully cleansed us of our attackers!"
cheering crowd
"Yes, those who tried to strike fear in us! By bombing and shooting at our land, our leaders, and our loved ones... For those that still survived, they will be executed.
cheering/roaring crowd
"Yes, yes, justice will be served soon. And we will be allowed to rebuild our shattered lives and our nation. It is by this same token that the emergency martial law shall be ended today."
cheering crowd
"But... it has also come to my attention that our enemy has not in fact, been ended."
booing crowd
"Unfortunately, they were supported by a so-called 'respected' nation." Kyle nearly spit out "respected" to prove his point. "Not only supported, but the attackers' leaders... were active military officers of that very nation!"
outraging crowd, mixed with frantic calls of "Who is it?"
"My fellow countrymen, they even have the audacity to laugh at us from across the seas, thinking they're protected by their distance from us! Oh, but we'll shall prove them wrong - chasing them to the ends of Eras itself if we have to!
cheering/roaring crowd
"Yes! But I'm getting ahead of myself. The enemy has a name, and it is- Stan... Yera...!"
angry/roaring crowd
"But, I am a generous man." Kyle calmly claimed, then stared into one of the cameras. "To the nation of Stan Yera, though you have wronged us in more ways than one, I am prepared to forgive you if you answer our demands. That being one sincere apology, and... reparations for all the damage and hurt you have caused us, ten fold!"
cheering crowd
"If you don't answer our demands in full- within a full day, that will be the last slight you'll ever commit against us. Because, we, are, Thenacans!"
cheering/roaring crowd

With that, Kyle left the stage. To him, this would be the spark that will reforge a nation- his nation, into something greater. Whether it be through the fires of war, or not...

Sfan was old-fashioned. An amateur soldier, born and raised into a tumultuous and fractured mess of a former nation that had not progressed out of the ideals plaguing eras prior to the Fascist Wars, certain habits had stuck with him even through the advent of such marvels as computers, cellphones, and many other now mainstream electronic devices. So it was with this anachronistic style befitting only a man progressing well into his seventies, that Sfan wrote and signed a letter directed to the child who thought he could challenge the man who reforged a nation out of cold steel and colder determination.

[img=245,250]http://i.imgur.com/9ZPCfm6.png[/img]
Federal Affairs Executive, Office of the Federal Premier
Federal Military Autocracy of the Stan Yera

To the Government of Thenaca,

The most recent broadcast sponsored by your nation, that of General Baker's denouncement and unveiled threats towards this nation, have been received and noted by the Stan Yera. We wish to inform you that we have discussed your demands amongst the highest members of this government and have thusly prepared a response to your demands.

In short, we will not answer to your unfounded conjecture and baseless accusations against our nation, and we will most certainly refuse to meet any demands for reparations to be paid to your government and peoples. Unless you wish to provide ample and irrefutable evidence as to our nation's wrongdoing in the tragedy that has befallen Thenaca, then we will do no more than stand by and watch. Your threats do not matter in this situation, nor do they intimidate this nation.

By riling your nation's people into a frenzy with no more than a series of unproven claims, we are convinced this is but another attempt to exercise your so-called imperialist authority over other Sovereign peoples. In the unfortunate incident where the nation of Thenaca decides amongst itself to come to blows with the Stan Yera over this claim, we will be saddened at the eventuality but will not hesitate to meet all force in equal magnitude and veracity. Do not take this statement as a threat, but as a promise.

I, personally, bid your nation luck in capturing the true perpetrators of this crime and maintaining one soul and mind through any tragedy that may yet befall you, and further request that you consider the weight of your actions heavily before endangering the people of any nation.

Signed,
Federal Premier Sfan K'ter, Grand General of the Stan Yera
dkT3RZO.png

Near the end of a hiking trail up the Blackfur ridge, towards the wildfire lookout station and emergency military transmitter. October 5th, 2017, 8:35AM

The hike up the tallest ridge in Blackwolf mountains was long and windy, for the trail had to proceed snake-like to keep from being too steep. The "Thenacan Resistance" as Amara and Ashley jokingly called themselves now, were fatigued. But they had a mission to complete. For the future of the nation, and their lives, depended on them.

They weren't without proper info either. Aside from the scattered news reportings of yesterday and today, Ashley got in touch with her contacts and friends within the Parliamentary Guard, the military proper, and other civilian departments in the government. Various extra details and points-of-view were uncovered, dissident voices who believed working from the inside would be more effective than public protests. In this case, it did.

There was no one in the lookout tower, for it was getting into the generally cool and fairly wet autumn. Ashley prepared the station to accept the plea of Amara. And not too soon later, this recorded message was heard across every frequency within a roughly 7,000 kilometer distance...

"...Hello everyone. My name is Amara Drake, Prime Advisor of Thenaca, and I have an important story to tell.

Yesterday, at around 12:30 PM, bombs were detonated across many locations in the major cities of Thenaca, including our capital. Armed assailants also appeared in the issuing chaos and sought to cause more damage and sow terror among our people.

Almost ten minutes later, it was discovered that a bomb had also detonated in the Prime Minister's office. David Drake, the Prime Minister and my brother, was working there at the time. There were no survivors.
At the same time, a temporary communications breakdown occurred between the armed forces, and the Parliamentary Guard.
Unbeknownst to the Parliamentary Guard, an arrest warrant was given out for all of Parliament, and a standoff ensued between the two. That standoff ended in the peaceful surrender and subsequent arrest of both Parliament and the Parliamentary Guard, rendering Thenaca's national legislature effectively dissolved.

But the unconstitutional arrest warrant itself was given by and based on the blatant, unfounded accusations of our very own unelected Prime Minister, General Kyle S. Baker. This man has used deception, lies, unconstitutional and even illegal acts of authority to steal the position for himself. And has put the nation in the danger it is in currently.
He was never even close to being in line as the next Prime Minister, let alone would I have endorsed him. He has called for executions in a nation that holds no legal death penalty. And he has single-handedly threatened war with another nation which he has no authority to commit us to. He even holds to an ideology that is traitorous to our founding values!
With the powers vested in me as a Prime Advisor and by the Will of the People, I charge General Kyle S. Baker with treason! And I'm pleading with everyone in Thenaca and those listening abroad to help remove this man before he causes untold damage to our fair nation, and possibly to our neighbors in the region.

This message repeats, but only for a limited time...

OCTOBER 5TH, 2017 // 0908 MMT // PALA?A ORLOVA, CERŠTUVA, REPUBLIC OF MOUXORDIA

"As you can see, Mister President, the numbers don't lie," the Secretary of Labor droned on, death-by-PowerPoint in full effect as he stood at the dais and briefed not only the President, but the rest of his Vlada.* Idly, Andrej was aware of the aide that had gone to the Secretary of Intelligence's ear. The President did his due diligence to pay as much attention as possible to the Secretary of Labor's admittedly important news of unemployment falling and stability increasing in the job market with the promise of META membership on the horizon.

Secretary Cvjetko Lu?i?'s eyebrows rose a little as his aide spoke quietly into his ear, now producing a piece of paper which the Intelligence Secretary scrutinized. His aide pulled back and Cvjetko cleared his throat rather loudly to get the Labor Secretary to stop talking and gain the attention of the Vlada. "Mister President," he began slowly, still scrutinizing the document his aide had given him, "Open sources have just intercepted unenciphered HF radio communications from the Prime Advisor of Thenaca, Amara Drake, that details a coup-in-progress."

"What the--" Andrej began, processing the notion that there was still a coup d'état currently underway.

"She states that the terror acts yesterday were a part of an orchestration to seize control of the government," Cvjetko continued, "General Kyle S. Baker of the Thenacan Army, who took up 'emergency' Prime Ministerial powers is mastermind, she says."

There was silence in the room as Andrej's hand rubbed at the stubble on his cheek, considering his options. All eyes were on him. A few bated breaths had passed before he looked up at Boris Poklonskaja, his Secretary of State. "Prepare for a public statement by me this afternoon. I want it broadcast nationwide. See if you can't get ARK-Mo in on it, too," he said, standing and looking over everyone around the ring-like table, "Meeting is adjourned for today. We'll pick this up tomorrow. Today is the day where we put our money where our mouth is."

OCTOBER 5TH, 2017 // 1159 MMT // PALA?A ORLOVA, CERŠTUVA, REPUBLIC OF MOUXORDIA

Klara checked her teeth in the reflection of the camera's lens once more, making sure nothing from her early lunch was stuck between her pearly whites. The President's Press Secretary had sent out an urgent and immediate message to all major news outlets and journalists about an announcement taking place at noon. What could have warranted such a short notice, Klara and her producers could only guess, but she had been sent to the Briefing Room to capture the details. The cameraman, Flavja, counted down with his fingers to indicate her go-time.

"Klara ?ulina present in the Palace of the Eagles' Briefing Room, where merely two hours ago the President's Press Secretary had called journalists and new outlets across Mouxordia to inform them of an urgent and impending message from the President. The content of the message is unknown to anyone and everyone, and not even speculation can sate the desire to know the contents of what matters needed the utmost of attention and urge--oh!" Klara moved out of frame of the camera as Andrej took to the podium.

Camera shutters clattered loudly as he stood with a stern and stoic face. The red bulbs of the cameras at the back of the room like ever-watching eyes speaking over his shoulder and warning him that he was always being watched. "Ladies and gentlemen, I wish I could have given more notice, but a sudden turn of events has prompted me to react swiftly and surgically," Andrej finished his explanation and paused, now turning to his outline of notes, "At 9:10 this morning, during a meeting with members of my Vlada, Intelligence Secretary Cvjetko Lu?i? received information that was urgent and required the immediate attention of myself and the members of my Vlada. At approximately 7:45 Meterran Mean Time, a message was intercepted that was being broadcast by the Prime Advisor of Thenaca from within Thenaca's own borders. Prime Advisor Amara Drake broadcasted a 3-minute looped message detailing a deadly and sudden coup d'état, which has unfortunately resulted in Prime Minister David Drake's - her brother's - own life. Thenacan General Kyle S. Baker has 'gracefully' taken up the position of unelected Prime Minister, and promptly used his newfound power to arrest the entirety of the Thenacan Parliament. The madman has even gone so far as to threaten the Stan Yera, framing and blaming their government for the crimes against humanity that he orchestrated and committed.

The repeating message, bravely sent by Miss Drake has since been silenced by means unknown to us,
" Andrej took a moment to scan over the crowd. No one took photos, only the faint whirring of older tape-oriented cameras could vaguely be heard in the silence.

"The Republic of Mouxordia, in adherence to her fierce determination and steadfast devotion for the protection of freedom of speech and assembly, liberty, and equality; that we abhor totalitarianism, autocracy, dictatorships no matter what words they use to mask their true identity and intentions, insist - nay, demand that General Kyle S. Baker and all his constituents stand down from their fruitless and dictatorial coup to stand accountable for the actions they have taken," he paused, taking a breath to keep his voice steady, and looked directly into the cameras at the back of the room, "Mouxorida fully and wholeheartedly supports the democratic system that this so-called General wishes to usurp. And any call for help to stand stalwart against the childish tantrums of wannabe-dictators, Mouxordia will gladly answer."

There was stunned silence, many mouths agape as the press processed in their minds what their President had just declared. The moment was just that, though - a moment - before the thunderstorm of clattering shutters and jumping of the press to have their questions answered drowned out even Andrej's innermost thoughts. He took a moment to collect himself, straightening his suit jacket, before turning and leaving the exact way he had come, his face showing a hint of more ferocity than when he had taken the podium.

There would be many questions in the papers and on the news that evening: had the President declared war? Pissing contest between Gogovi? and Baker? Meaningless threats?

No. No. And No. All in whatever damned order you pleased to arrange them.

The press had often praised Andrej for his above-average speech skills, but Andrej considered himself more a man of action. Actions spoke louder than words ever could. It was actions, not words, that shaped the world and how they lived in it. At the end of the day it was the man who took action who got the privilege of exercising a distinct advantage over the man who spoke fancy words. And at the end of the day, the increased naval patrols near Thenaca would tell him all he needed to know about which kind of man this so-called General Baker was.

*Vlada: The Cabinet of the President of Mouxordia, consisting of Secretaries and other key representatives from his Executive Departments.

Back