Issue XX
Special Edition - Part II

Southern Journal
Issue XX, Special Election Edition Part 2
March 2, 2017

Stories
I.Spring 2017 Election Results
II. Chair of Assembly Resignation
III. Spring 2017 Special Election Interview - Glen RhodesSandaoguoHierocles, Chair of Assembly
IV. Spring 2017 Cabinet Interviews - SeraphErinor, Minister of Regional Affairs
V. Spring 2017 Cabinet Interviews - Drugged Monkeys, Prime Minister
VI. Resident Spotlight - The Federation of Lioniel
VII. Classifieds

Editor-in-Chief: Seraph
Director of Journalism: Escade
Writing Staff: Escade, Spenty
Publisher: Kringalia

I. Spring 2017 Election Results

Congratulations to the newly elected Cabinet and Chair of Assembly!

The South Pacific Spring 2017 Chair of Assembly Special Election Results
Calculated by the Election Commissioner

Chair of Assembly:

Sandaoguo - 17 votes (77.3%)
Rebeltopia - 4 votes (18.2%)
RON - 1 vote (4.5%)
Sandaoguo is the new Chair of the Assembly

The South Pacific Spring 2017 Cabinet and Prime Minister Election Results

Prime Minister:
Arcadia and Ameriga - 2 votes (6.1%)
Drugged Monkeys - 28 votes (84.8%)
RON - 3 votes (9.1%)
Drugged Monkeys will continue a third term as Prime Minister.

Minister of Regional Affairs:
Seraph - 29 votes (85.3%)
RON - 5 votes (14.7%)
SeraphErinor will continue a third term as Minister of Regional Affairs.

Minister of Foreign Affairs:
Escade - 21 votes (61.8%)
Belschaft - 11 votes (32.3%)
RON - 2 votes (5.9%)
Escade is the new Minister of Foreign Affairs.

Minister of Military Affairs:
Vietnam - 26 votes (83.9%)
RON - 5 votes (16.1%)
Vietnam is the new Minister of Military Affairs.

Craziest Person:
Third Cycle:
Gordon Freeman - 9 votes (47.4%)
Rebeltopia - 10 votes (52.6%)
In a close election, Rebeltopia is crowned Craziest in TSP.

In addition a non-binding poll was undertaken on the TSP gameside for the MoFA election. Only WA Nations could vote in the poll:
Escade - 27 votes
Belschaft - 14 votes
RON - 4 votes

II. Omega Resigns as Chair of Assembly
Written by Spenty

This month, the Assembly convened to debate a motion to recall the Chair of the Assembly, Omega. According to the legislators who authored the resolution, Omega, the Chair of the Assembly and the vice chair of the political party Alliance for the Preservation of the Coalition (APC), needed to be recalled as there were very long periods of time between the debate and voting periods. In addition to this, three members who were supposed to have been stripped of legislator status remained able to vote and were not aware that their status should have changed.

As tensions grew in the Assembly, Omega chose to resign his position as Chair of the Assembly, stating that he was busy with other commitments in real life. Ryccia, the Deputy Chair of Assembly also issued an apology on the forums.

A new Chair of Assembly has been elected after an emergency election that took place last week. The candidates for the election were both seasoned legislators: Rebeltopia, who recently returned to activity in the region, and Sandaoguo who won in a landslide. The Chair of Assembly position has, historically, been a government position with a high number of recalls, resignations, and general drama.

III. Spring 2017 Special Election Interview with SandaoguoGlen-RhodesHeirocles, Chair of Assembly

What do you think are the roles and responsibilities of the Chair of Assembly?
It's mostly administrative. Make sure the laws are right, legislator apps are processed, and votes are put up and closed in a timely manner. Aside from that, Chairs can prod the Assembly into thinking about certain issues and get debate going.

What do you hope to accomplish this term?
I want to accomplish everything on my campaign agenda. I'm in the process of standardizing our formats. I've started an audit of legislator voting requirements, since that kind of fell to the wayside. Next I'll be ensuring our laws are up to date. From there, it's really a matter of guiding the debates that will come up in the next four months, making sure they're fruitful and come to something we can vote on.

How long have you been in TSP? How is different today from when you started? What do you like most about what has changed? What do you remember nostalgically from the past?
I've been part of TSP since April 2013, so a couple months shy of 4 years. When I started, TSP was pretty inactive, but it was one of the few really democratic regions that wasn't closed off by an elite class. While TSP is still a bit inactive nowadays, I still prefer it to other regions.

Unfortunately, TSP of today is a far cry from 2 years ago, which I consider the zenith of my time here. Back then, you had a Cabinet that really had ambition and ideas, and the real will to execute them. Kris was an amazing Delegate and really drove a lot of the cultural change in TSP at the time. Then everything changed and the community got a lot more toxic and a lot less fun. Hileville reshuffled the admin team, Kris and I found our way onto it. The whole forum crisis (the first one) happened then, and there's just been a struggle in the community since then.

I think there are a lot of people in the upper echelons of TSP who don't really enjoy it anymore, but don't know what else to do if they gave it all up.

Sorry for the depressing answer, I guess. :P It's just that TSP's change over the past 4 years has probably been a net decline, even though there are plenty of good things I can think of that have happened.

How do you see the next six months unfolding under Tsu's delegacy?
Tsu will, in all likelihood, be in the center of a political fight between Belschaft and... everyone else, I guess, about moving more and more of TSP from the forums and onto the RMB. I don't envy him, though I've tried my best so far to prevent that fight from happening. Other than that, I think Tsu is a great person and has always been a stabilizing force in TSP.

What do you believe are the roles and responsibilities of delegates?
The Delegate today is there to be a bulwark against instability. It's not a hands-on position. It's a figurehead. It's the Queen/Crown to our parliament.

Several new players would love to be delegate of TSP for the first time, what do you think about this? Is the delegate position becoming a security position rather than a position for new people?
No, I don't think the Delegate is a position for new(er) players. It's for trusted and established senior members of the community. We just don't function well as a community when the Delegate seat is in flux and politicized.

Would you ever support term limits on becoming delegate?
Nope.

One thing I liked about the old system was the vice-delegate position...do you think it might make a comeback at some point?
Again, nope. It's pointless. We aren't a Delegate-centered government anymore. We have a Prime Minister and a Cabinet as our government.

How did you like the NS World Fair? Did you get your fortune told, a tattoo, or a drink in TSP’s regional booth?
Honestly, I think the NSWF took a nose dive when Unibot stopped organizing it. It was his brainchild, and it's really shown since he's been stigmatized over the past couple years. I declined to write a lecture in large part because I didn't see any real excitement about the fair this year. Also, NS as a whole has been utterly devoid of life the past year, so I don't have anything to write about. And I think the current lectures kind of speak to that, too.

Finally, what is one question I haven’t asked that you’d like to answer?
What am I doing in my downtime? Well, I just binge watched The Magicians and it's only one season, so I'm impatiently waiting for the season 2 premiere on Wednesday :D Also I'm playing a shit ton of Dragon Age.

The Magicians is seriously underrated, I binge watched season one and am excited about season 2!

IV. TSP Cabinet Spring 2017 Interviews - SeraphErinor, Minister of Regional Affairs

How did you get into NS? How did you find the game and what kept you here?
I actually joined on the recommendation of a friend (shoutout to The Land Without Shrimp!) and so I thought I'd give it a try. I probably would have played it for a few weeks and then given up if it weren't for the hints of something much deeper beyond the front page. That intrigued me so much that I decided to stick around and see if I could build up the courage to explore the mysterious forums and all this talk of regional government.

Yes, the forums seems like a mysterious and unknowable place in the beginning :P What made you stay in TSP or choose TSP?
I was founded in the South Pacific and I've honestly never been strongly tempted to move anywhere else. It was here that I started to get involved in things beyond the issues and here that I've made the majority of my NS friendships. I'm interested in the idea of exploring other regions, but only really as a tourist. TSP has become my home and if I think it's missing something somewhere else has, then that's only an incentive to make TSP better!

What do you like most about TSP? Do you remember your initial impressions of the region? Have they changed or stayed the same?
My initial impressions of TSP were that it seemed big and daunting, but full of interesting and enthusiastic people. Overtime my impressions have changed, of course. I've seen the darker side of the region in the relationships which have been broken in the past and in the arguments that erupt now and then, but that's all balanced out with a general welcome and acceptance which is truly quite special. I think that, as much as anything, is what has kept me 'playing' this game, because game or not, it's the community and being able to serve it that I most enjoy.

How did you get involved in the Ministry of Regional Affairs?
I guess I got involved in the Ministry by accident. It was an area I was interested in, but wasn't fully sure what it involved or how best to get started there, then Roavin asked for some help proofreading something and I volunteered. Before I knew it I was researching and writing something for a festival and then put onto Roavin's advisory council when he became minister. I wasn't very involved for most of that term, but gradually, I got a sense of what it all was about and how I could contribute and, by the end of Ro's term I knew it would be worthy trying for minister.

Under your leadership, MoRA has really solidified as one of the strongest centers of activity, comrade, and community. What do you attribute your success to?
I'm not sure it has been that much of a success, to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased with what the ministry has achieved during my first term, but I set myself one major goal at the start and that has not yet been met: recruiting a sizable number of new people. There has been a serious lack of involvement in the region since before I started and whilst there are plenty of players on the MoRA books, there are hardly any who are actually active and involved in that activities of the ministry or the region as a whole, for that matter. My efforts to fix this last term have largely been a failure, with a lot of the stuff that has been achieved being on the backs of a relatively small number of individuals, which isn't sustainable in the long term. My goal for the new term remains the same, with the modification of trying out new avenues to encourage engagement.

As for what successes we have achieved? I'd attribute that to persistence and, when all else fails and nobody steps into the breach, trying my damnedest to do things myself :P As I said, I don't think that's a sustainable way to run the ministry and it doesn't help raise up new players to carry on when I step down, which I plan to do at the end of this second term, so that I can devote more time to specific projects, rather than overseeing everything. We'll see if I hold my resolve on that one, but I'd really like to see other players preparing to take on more responsibilities.

What is the significance of your nation name SeraphErinor?
So, Seraph isn't a nation name, it's just the name I've been using on the internet since I was 16 (that's 17 years ago, eep!). It's from a Hebrew word referring to the highest order of angels, which fits with my faith and my interests in the fantastic, but, in truth, I originally took it from the name of the ultimate form of the final boss in my favourite video game, Final Fantasy VII: Seraph Sephiroth, the 'One-Winged Angel' of that famous boss theme.
Anyway, I use it everywhere, anyway, including on my blog (http://seraphicworlds.blogspot.com [/shameless plug]).

Erinor gets its name from a fictional world I was working on for a novel: Erinea, and, indeed, Eriniea remains Erinor's name in it's own language, Syaqin aren, which I created for the novel and have since expanded in the world of TSP RP. There's a longer story about how Erinea itself came from me reworking the name of a land called Urinor which was in an earlier novel attempt, but, like the vowel change, it was all just a case of 'let's not go there'.

Have you held any other positions in TSP? Would you like to hold any other positions?

The only other elected position I've held is Local Council, which I did for a term before running for MoRA. As for running for anything else, I'm not sure. I can rule out MoFA and MoMA straight away, as I'm just not involved in those aspects of the game, nor am I likely to be. I think that rules out PM as well, really. I might consider delegate some day, but, to be honest, being involved in Regional Affairs is where its at.
(and I've got the laptop back, yay!)

Favorite book, movie, or song?
My answer to those questions will usually depend on my mood, but, right at this precise moment, I'll venture: The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson (which is cheating, 'cost it's really eight novels in three volumes), the Two Towers (but really all six Middle-Earth films) and Dark Road by Annie Lennox.

Cake or pie? Why?
I'm a well-known Independessert. :P Indeed, as far as I know, I'm the founder of Independesertism.

A third player has entered into the foray of the CakePie wars. Let’s see how the Independesserts fare :P

V. TSP Cabinet Spring 2017 Interviews - Drugged Monkeys, Prime Minister

When did you start in NS? How did you get into TSP?
Honestly, I learned about NationStates by pure accident, randomly stumbled upon it while surfing the internet for some sort of world domination game if I remember correctly. After reading the main page, I thought "why not". One of the first things to entice me was the freedom NS gave you to be unique, allowing you to personalize your nation. This alone got my foot in the door and the rest is blurry history.

I've been in TSP for around seven years give or take. After all my past endeavors in NS, My path crossed with some TSP operatives in WZ Australia. From there I made the transitions to a feeder region for the first time in my NS career. The reason I stayed at first was because I wanted to give it a try in a feeder region, but the friendliness and the tradition here in TSP are what really makes me stay.

What do you like most about TSP?
Besides poking fun at Belschaft? No seriously, that is fun but what I like most is the freedom and sense of belonging. As soon as someone walks through TSP's doors they are overwhelmed with the sense of belonging. Welcomed with open arms and helpful direction in any aspect, this is what I like most about being a resident of TSP.

Currently, I’m the Prime Minister which is another way of saying Head Honcho..Captain America...Kim Kardashian. :p Other positions I’ve held include “Distributor of Bananas.”

As a former MoMA, what was one of your typical missions like? What did being a soldier of TSP involve circa 2013?
As MoMA, my missions we are straightforward and easy. Planned around an update, where a player would set up the most timely triggers. From there we would hang out on the IRC channel bantering until it got close to go time. Channel fell silent until the order was given to GO! I tried to keep it fun and interesting when I was MoA, otherwise people lose interest fast. So being a soldier in TSP, or even NS is a very demanding task. Finding the time to be around for update is the hardest part for most people. Right now is TSP, the only mission so far under new MoA Southern Bellz was a non update mission. This allows people to transition into the New Southern Army lifestyle more easily and slowly.

What is the significance behind your nation's name?
I think it fits my personality, combined with my flag it is a symbol of who I am. It's the legacy I have created here in NS, that is the significance behind it. I've had many names since I've been in NS, most I don't remember because Drugged Monkeys is who I truly am.

The interviewer and DM headed to a bar and the rest of the interview was unfortunately lost 8)

VI. Resident Spotlight - The Federation of Lionel

Today we sit down for an interview with The Federation of Lionel, a long-time TSPer.

How did you learn about NationStates? How long have you been playing NS?
Google. It was morning, and I was bored out of my mind, wondering what to do before my classes started in the afternoon. So, to relieve the ennui, I started searching for political sim games aside from Democracy 2 &3 - Tropico, but a browser-based version of that said game if there was any - so I started searching for it and, lo and behold, nationstates was the first thing that popped up. To be honest, I didn't go through the site studying its contents. My utmost concern was just to relieve boredom, so I just read the FAQ, skimmed this and that and I liked it! It took me an hour to decide whether to plunge into the site or not, but fudge it! I said to myself. I liked what I saw, so, why not?.

How long have you been playing?

I've been playing NS for three years, since Oct. 2, 2014. I've been playing NS a I started answering issues, peeking at the forums for soon-to-be issues, and lurking at the RMB.

How long have you been in the South Pacific? What has made you stay so far?
3 years since 2014. I'm not really interested in the raider/defender portion of the game, nor having a desire to participate in ideological tug-of-wars (commie themed regions, capitalist themed, nationalist, etc). I prefer to have casual chit-chat with my fellow TSPers ;)

Civil Rights, Economy, or Political Freedom? Which is most important for your nation and why?
Hmm.... that's a tough one since at first Lioniel was somewhat based on my IRL country which is a capitalist, conservative “wunderland” XD! Secondly, I wanted to mix the first with some of the progresses in east asia and the U.S., so this took me while but i felt that Economy=Civil Rights>Political Freedom are preferable for my nation. Sure, this may seem like a certain southeast-Asian country, but in actuality this is an ideal combination for me, first a strong but balanced economy

If you were delegate of TSP for a day what would you do?
DECLARE MARTIAL LAW!! xd, but seriously I'm not fit for that. If I was a few years younger, then maybe, but I have too much on my plate right now. I would hand it over to someone with more perseverance, goodwill and a lot of time in his hands.

Cake or pie? Why?
Cake, cake is more common where I come from, it’s found almost everywhere. The only pie I tasted is buko (coconut) pie. I joined the war for giggles and I’m willing to try more varieties of pie if and when available.

Favorite book, movie, or song?
Books? WellI I do have a predilection for books authored by Tom Clancy. I’m not sure how I got hooked up, the action, or maybe the characters with a can-do attitude.
Movies? I don’t but I prefer a light-hearted animated show that isn’t too preachy.
As for songs.. I have too many to list here and sometimes I would go on for days, months even just liking a particular genre, artist, or song and then it’s just something to distract myself. For example, November was for Vaporwave. Now it’s a bunch of songs that are trending right now.

What is the significance or story behind your nation's name?

Well, when I made this nation, I thought of a nation based on my star sign (Leo), and I wanted it to be semi-based in Africa since most nations in nation states are either based on the Americas, European, or Asian design so my noggin thought that if I made my country based in Africa I’d be all hipster about it and people would say; “ow, African country”, “heart of darkness,” “so outlandish”, “wow!” Finally it is pronounced Lee-onn-iiel when put Lioniel as my nation name as the finishing touch since it sounded good at that time, now I’m not so sure.:p

It’s stats would be based on the best from east to west: the discipline of the Germans and Japanese, the FREEDOM ala ‘Murica, and the strict but fair economic regulations ala Scandinavia.

What do you do when you're not on Nation States?
Work (a government job) doesn’t pay much but at least I can be independent-ish - internet, hanging with friends (but they have jobs and responsibilities now so no more), if work doesn’t leave me exhausted throughout the weekdays, I try go to the countryside or another town that I haven’t been to.

It's always fun to get to meet another TSPer, and I would love to see you more often on the forums or Discord!

VII. Classifieds
The Southern Journal would just like to take a moment to advertise (and recruit for) our other publications.

Firstly, you may remember that we produced a new publication last summer: The Southern Pioneer, the first and, so far, only issue of which, you can read here.

The idea behind The Southern Pioneer was to be a travelogue for NationStates, showcasing other regions from the inside, so that the diversity of this enormous and crazy community could be made more accessible. As you can see, however, and as I have mentioned, there has only been one issue and the reason for that is that, since becoming Minister of Regional Affairs, Seraph/Erinor has been unable to spend the time required to visit other regions and get under their skin. As such, The Pioneer seems dormant, but it does not need to be so! You could help!

If you enjoy writing and are keen to get out into the big world of NationStates, then perhaps a job writing for The Southern Pioneer would be for you? If you’re interested, please send a telegram to @Erinor or e-mail tspmora@gmail.com with a brief description of why you want to help out and what you think you can offer. Samples of your writing would be appreciated too, but are not a requirement.

Secondly, we also publish The Treasure Island Report, a monthly newspaper focussing on stories from our forum-based roleplaying community, Treasure Island. You can read the latest issue here and, again, if you want to contribute, send articles to @Erinor or e-mail tspomora@gmail.com. Google docs enabled for commenting are best.

Thank you!

Thank you for the update, Spenty. I'm glad our friends in TSP are doing well for the most part.

Back