[Draft]Jan. 2017 Elections

Tomb

TNPer
This is my first draft for the Elections article. It came out to be 875 words, and while I view most of it as essential, I will definitely try shorten it.

First Draft:
2017 found The North Pacific (TNP) in a time of excitement. With the General Elections season starting on January 1st, campaigning was going strong, the feeling of rivalry was felt by all, and there was an air of excitement all around the region. TNP elects its Delegate, Vice Delegate, and Speaker of the Regional Assembly (RA) every four months in what is known as the General Elections. With the three highest offices in the region up for grabs, General Elections are usually a time period of excitement and increased activity.

This General Election was no different. As the Elections started out, the Delegate's race appeared to be the most contested one. Incumbent Delegate Plembobria, former Vice Delegate Bootsie, and Deputy Attorney General Darcania all initially declared candidacy for the position. Each candidate had considerable support and a strong resume, and the race looked really packed for a minute. Soon enough, Bootsie and Darcania both withdrew from the race leaving Plembobria as the only candidate standing. The field was not vacant for long though as Deputy Minister and Assistant Attorney General Sasten declared his candidacy for the office along with citizens Yalkan, Hesskin Empire, and Lord Emmanuel. Ultimately, the race came down to Plembobria and Sasten in the end with both candidates battling it out till the last vote.

Plembobria, the incumbent Delegate, cited his strong first term in office in which he saw success in increasing activity levels across the board. He promised to continue this while also embracing and allowing his cabinet ministers to create and achieve individual policies and goals for their ministries. Sasten ran on a campaign promising to maintain the progress of the past term while also working towards new achievements as a region. Plembobria would go on to win the Delegate’s race, securing 57% of the vote.

The Vice Delegate's race was equally interesting. As far as the candidates go, former Delegate Tomb and current Attorney General Ash both declared their candidacies for the office. However, Ash, would later go on to resign his citizenship in the region, thus effectively removing himself from the race and prompting a Special Election for the position of Attorney General. As a result, Tomb ran unopposed, but still faced the possibility of having the nominations for the position re-opened should that option receive a majority of the vote.

Tomb ran on a campaign based on four key goals. Chiefly among them is strengthening the Security Council by raising the endorsement levels of its individual members. Tomb also outlined his plans to continue the World Assembly Development Program (WADP), which has been a success since its release, to frequently (and quickly) perform security checks on citizenship applicants, and to use the office of Vice Delegate to try and connect more to the in-game population. Tomb went on to win the Vice Delegate’s election unopposed with 100% of the vote.

The Speaker’s race was by far the most exciting, and it remained a nail biter until the last vote was cast. Standing for the position were Kondratev, Deputy Speaker of the RA, Pallaith, Minister of WA Affairs, and Argnantim, a newer citizen who has much potential. What was exciting and unique about this particular race is that each of the candidates were considered to be from a newer generation of players – a new class of rising stars.

Aragnatim ran on a campaign promising to essentially simplify the bill making process while also providing mentoring to those who need it. As a new member in the region, proposing a bill can seem like it is an intimidating process, and Argnantim promised to tackle that problem if he is elected. Pallaith’s campaign was focused on continuing the progress made under Speaker Zyveskistaahn while also working to complete citizenship checks in a timely manner and turnout the weekly RA digest more frequently. Kondratev’s platform was centered on reforming the citizenship application process procedurally while also introducing other reforms, such as weekly RA discord meetings, to increase the efficiency of the office and the RA in general. Pallaith went on to win the Speaker’s race, winning with 60% of the vote.

Aside from the General Election races, TNP also held two Special Elections, one for Attorney General, following Ash’s resignation, and one for Court Justice, following Eluvatar’s removal due to inactivity. As both races started out, only one person declared candidacy for each election (Lord Emmanuel – Attorney General and Altmoras – Justice), and so nominations were re-opened after the majority of the voters sought that option in both races. After nominations were reopened, Lord Emmanuel withdrew from the race, and Deputy Attorney General Darcania declared candidacy. Darcania ran on a campaign promising an active Attorney General’s office, one that is based on experience and a strong work ethic. Darcania ran unopposed winning 100% of the vote. In the Justice race, former Justice Abbey, former Deputy Attorney General Guy, and former Temporary Hearing Officer Barborristan all declared candidacy for the position along with Altmoras, the initial candidate. With many highly experienced legal minds in the field, voters had many options, and the competition was great, but in the end, Abbey managed to pull a win securing 00% of the vote.

Total number of words: 875.

• 'With the three highest offices of the region up for grabs' to 'With the three highest offices in the region up for grabs' - sounds better, just a suggestion.
  • 'Argnantim' needs to be changed to 'Aragnatim'.
  • 'Abbey managed to pull a win securing 00% of the vote' to 'Abbey managed to pull a win securing [correct percentage?] of the vote'

Apart from a few minor mistakes here and there, a great election article.

Kasch:
  • 'With the three highest offices of the region up for grabs' to 'With the three highest offices in the region up for grabs' - sounds better, just a suggestion.
  • 'Abbey managed to pull a win securing 00% of the vote' to 'Abbey managed to pull a win securing [correct percentage?] of the vote'

Thank you, Kasch. The third point, about Abbey's percentage, is something that I put on purpose to serve as a place holder for her actual margin of victory. But I would of course be happy to edit it once the Justice Special Election ends.

Tomb:
Kasch:

Thank you, Kasch. The third point, about Abbey's percentage, is something that I put on purpose to serve as a place holder for her actual margin of victory. But I would of course be happy to edit it once the Justice Special Election ends.
Ah, well that's fine.

Also, we need to address whether to put in the reasoning behind Darc and Bootsie's withdrawal. We could leave it without an explanation -- that is fine by me. However, if we do decide to include one, we need to be very careful in how we word it.

(The Minister of Communications and I have reached a solution to this.)

Tomb:
Also, we need to address whether to put in the reasoning behind Darc and Bootsie's withdrawal. We could leave it without an explanation -- that is fine by me. However, if we do decide to include one, we need to be very careful in how we word it.
Sorted through discussion on Discord.

Small factual correction that may be added: Gracius Maximus also accepted his nomination for AG, but later withdrew it upon seeing my platform. ("Actually, after reading Darcania's platform, I think it would be great to have a new AG. I withdraw my acceptance.")

As well, would it be worthwhile to, beyond waiting for the Judicial to end, also wait for me to post an opening statement? Coverage of that may be limited to simply stating the Deputy/Assistant Attorneys General appointed if you wish, but should I get the opening statement drafted ahead of time I can give that to you early if you want to put more detailed coverage of that beyond the Deputy appointments.

Darcania:
Small factual correction that may be added: Gracius Maximus also accepted his nomination for AG, but later withdrew it upon seeing my platform. ("Actually, after reading Darcania's platform, I think it would be great to have a new AG. I withdraw my acceptance.")

As well, would it be worthwhile to, beyond waiting for the Judicial to end, also wait for me to post an opening statement? Coverage of that may be limited to simply stating the Deputy/Assistant Attorneys General appointed if you wish, but should I get the opening statement drafted ahead of time I can give that to you early if you want to put more detailed coverage of that beyond the Deputy appointments.
This being the first draft, everything you've mentioned will most likely be edited in or included in the second or final drafts. Thanks for the feedback!

Aragnatim has been here longer than me or Kontradev I believe. There was an absence but he's not new, just recently active. Not sure if this isn't just a distinction without a difference though.

If you need cuts I suppose you could go after the intro. there may be a way to shave words off of the succession of events when you get around to describing who ran and then dropped out.

Back