Request for Review: Handling of evidence in the case of TNP vs. The Swedish Republic of New Kenya

Ash

TNPer
I hereby request that the Court review the following action by a government official: The involvement by SillyString (then Attorney General, currently Court Justice, then and currently Security Council member) in the handling and redaction of Security Council evidence released to the defense in the New Kenya Trial, contained in the following threads:

http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9012423/1/#new
http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/7550985/1/#new

Please note that since these threads are in a private area of the forum I am unable to quote them here directly.

I believe that the above action has violated the following portion of the Bill of Rights:

7. When charged with criminal acts, Nations of The North Pacific shall have a fair, impartial, and public trial before a neutral and impartial judicial officer.

I believe that it has violated the Bill of Rights in the following way: By involving herself in the handling and redacting of evidence prior to its release to the defense and the court, the former Attorney General influenced the response of the Security Council to a court order and a defense counsel request. This resulted in this evidence not being handled in an impartial manner.

I note that recusal in a case of Conflict of Interest is a principle recognized in TNP law.

I further note that the former Attorney General was only one member of the Security Council: the handling and redacting of the evidence could easily have been handled by other members of the Security Council; there was no need for the former Attorney General to be involved.

I. AM. THE ATTORNEY GENERAL.

Thank you very much, your Honor. My brief is as follows:

In this case, the Court must decide whether the redaction of Security Council evidence by SillyString - while dual-hatted as both Attorney General and a member of the Security Council - presented an inherent conflict of interest which violated The Swedish Republic of New Kenya's right to a fair trial.

I would ask that the Court take into account the recent Ruling of the Court of the North Pacific In regards to the Judicial Inquiry filed by flemingovia on the power of the Court to subpoena evidence:
In general, exculpatory evidence may not be kept secret if a prosecution is to go forward. No nation may be convicted of any crime if exculpatory evidence exists and is not available to the defense. The revelation of such evidence after the fact, which could have been made available but was not, could well invalidate a conviction.
In addition, the Ruling of the Court of the North Pacific In regards to the Judicial Inquiry filed by Gaspo on the Existence of a Duty to Disclose, in which the Court opined:
The Court had determined that in order for a nation to have equal and fair treatment and protection of law and due process of said law a duty to disclose all exculpatory evidence is in fact created by the Bill of Rights. The Court reviewed the Bill of Rights and the Request filed by Gaspo on this matter. The Court is in unanimous agreement that a duty to disclose all exculpatory evidence does in fact exist under the provisions of the Bill of Rights. The Court also notes that if in such a case the prosecution unknowingly posses exculpatory evidence when they are made aware of such evidence it must be disclosed to the Court and the Defense Council immediately.
Therefore, I would like to raise the following points for consideration during the Court's deliberations:

A conflict of interest is a situation in which a group or individual person has responsibilities or loyalties to multiple interests that could conceivably interfere with one another, possibly tempting the party entrusted with the interests to deal unfairly or corruptly. An inherent conflict of interest is a special case of this situation in which one such set of competing interests is directly related to the party itself, or, in other words, where an entity or person has to choose between doing what is best for it or doing what's best for its constituency, client or other entity it is responsible for representing.

While it is permissible to assume multiple roles within the government, when those two roles overlap in such a significant matter as a criminal trial then the office holder must be careful to ensure that there is no conflict of interest or even the appearance of such. In this case, one of those roles is the Attorney General that was responsible for prosecuting a criminal trial and the other role is that of a member of the Security Council responsible for redactions of private discussions. We are not faced with a situation where SillyString was the only person that could have fulfilled both roles.

The redactions of Security Council discussions meant that not all evidence was published; SillyString's position as Attorney General gave her the potential motivation to redact evidence that might hurt the prosecution's case before the Court. While I am not arguing that she did do that, by acting with an inherent conflict of interest she opened herself up to the possibility that she could have. It was this act, while she had an inherent conflict of interest, that was the issue which jeopardized TSRoNK's right to a fair trial.

An inherent conflict of interest can be best avoided by practicing transparency and abstaining from decisions if there is any question of conflicting loyalties. I would like the Court to clearly delineate that government officials must recuse themselves when an inherent conflict of interest presents itself.

Thank you for your time.

The original time frame for submitting briefs has ended. However, I will extend the time to submit briefs for 24 hours, because the search for THOs has not gone as swiftly as expected, and there would be no point to beginning deliberations without a complete bench.

I have little to add to Ash's original requests for review and brief, except to say that in the New Kenya trial specifically i never felt that the redaction of the evidence by SillyString adversely affected the trial or that it was done by SillyString in order to gain some advantage in the trial.

If i had felt that this was the case i would have presented an indictment for Gross misconduct rather than a Request for review.

What is important is the principle that evidence should be properly handled before it is submitted, and neither defence nor prosecution should have the opportunity to redact or influence the release of evidence. In effect, I believe it is important for the principle of conflict of interest and recusal to be extended from Justices to, at the very least, the Attorney General's office.

I AM disappointed that the justices in the case failed to deal with the issue at the time, despite having around three weeks in which to do so, necessitating this request for review. This was remiss to the point of negligence in office.

I am hereby appointing Abbey Anumia and Barbarossistan to be temporary hearing officers in this matter. Deliberations will begin following the deadline for brief submissions. For clarity, that deadline is (time=1480035600) in your forum time.

flemingovia:
I AM disappointed that the justices in the case failed to deal with the issue at the time, despite having around three weeks in which to do so, necessitating this request for review. This was remiss to the point of negligence in office.

I did not wish to rule on the question solely, and the other justices were either unavailable or unwilling to advise (as they would have to hear any appeal of my decision).

Ultimately, I rejected the motion because the case was resolved.

If I believed the question was completely obvious, I would have acted regardless, but as it was my opinion that the Attorney General's actions were, while poor optics, probably not improper, the path of no action pending time free from the trial itself seemed reasonable.

In considering making a ruling I did some research, including reading through this article. I will quote the more relevant portion below:

Discovery is what attorneys do in the pretrial phase of all legal cases, including criminal cases. There are rules laid out in the law that direct attorneys in their investigation of the case. The defense can make general and specific discovery requests for evidence that the prosecution may (or may not) have. The prosecution can either comply with the request, or lodge a formal objection with the court to the request. If the prosecutor objects, then the defense can file a motion to compel the prosecutor to comply with the request and the court will have to decide whether the law affords the defense a right to view the evidence sought for.

When you hear an attorney say something like “we have received discovery in your case”, what they mean is they have received the evidence that was requested in the formal discovery requests sent to opposing counsel.

Generally the prosecution will disclose everything they have to the defense. The reason is because they are required by the court rules to disclose any evidence they may use during the trial, or else forfeit the right to use it at trial. Also the prosecution is required to disclose any information that may tend to show that the defendant is innocent, or anything that may tend to mitigate the defendant’s culpability. Attorneys call this exculpatory evidence. If the prosecution fails to disclose exculpatory evidence, the court can dismiss the case for prosecutorial misconduct.

Since the stakes are so high for the prosecution when it comes to disclosing evidence, they tend to err on the side of full disclosure. However that isn’t always the case. Some cases are very complex, for example drug trafficking cases. Sometimes the state will not want to disclose certain information that may jeopardize an ongoing drug trafficking investigation. In those cases they will not be so forthcoming with the evidence, and discovery requests, objections, and motions to compel will be common.

This understanding led me to the impression that so long as redaction of information by a prosecutor can be appealed, it does not make a trial unfair.

Obviously, in order for such removal to be appealable, the Court and the defense would have to be made aware of the basis for any redaction or refusal to present information. In this case, the defense counsel was made aware of the full content, and given the opportunity to appeal the redacting of specific lines. They appealed two lines, which I ordered released. It may behoove the Court to adopt formal rules requiring the disclosure of specific reasons for any redaction, or otherwise support the ability to appeal.

Crushing Our Enemies:
I am hereby appointing Abbey Anumia and Barbarossistan to be temporary hearing officers in this matter. Deliberations will begin following the deadline for brief submissions. For clarity, that deadline is (time=1479949200) in your forum time.
this seems odd. according to my time stamp, you posted this after 8pm on 24th November. So for the deadline to be 19 hours BEFORE the post seems odd.

I got the date mixed up - 2 and a half hours remain to submit briefs, per the 24 hour extension that I granted yesterday. I will edit the timestamp in the post you quoted.

I would like to submit a brief on this matter as well.

The court must consider, in this case, both the specific matter that gave rise to this request for review, and also the general case - that is, it is tasked with not just determining whether things were handled correctly this time, but what an overall correct handling would look like. As such, I have a few points to touch on. Note that all bolding, footnoting, or other markup is mine unless otherwise indicated.

The question of ownership and official capacity first came up obliquely. In a decision on the judicial inquiry filed by Kiwi on the scope of FOIA requests, the Court held that
the FOIA law may only be used to request information belonging to the Executive branch.
It then expanded on this in a decision on the judicial inquiry filed by r3n on the ownership scope of the executive branch, holding that
the Vice Delegate has functions both inside and outside of the Executive Branch
the author of a post owns its content, and posts made while acting in one's capacity as a government official are owned, more broadly, by the respective branch of government within which that capacity falls.
The court went on to elaborate on this issue more, in a decision on the judicial inquiry filed by r3n on the meaning of "private citizen" with respect to the Freedom of Information Act. It stated,

Individuals do not cease to be accountable to the region simply because their term has ended, and posts which were governmental in nature when made retain that status. In reverse, posts which are non-governmental in nature do not suddenly become subject to FOIA when their author joins the Executive branch.
It is the status of the author and not the topic which determines whether a post is subject to FOIA. So long as the author is speaking in their capacity as an executive official, the law applies.
All posts made within areas of the forum which normally grant posting privileges only to members of the executive - excluding administrators and moderators from consideration - are inherently made in the author's capacity as an executive official. Such posts cannot be considered non-governmental. Posts which are made in areas of the forum more accessible to the public may be ruled non-governmental if such a determination is merited by their content and context.

In other words, the court has explicitly recognized that government officials are capable of acting, in different contexts and areas of the forum, in their capacity as that official, or not in their capacity as such. This is additionally true for dual-classed officials, like the Vice Delegate, who has some duties in the security branch and some in the executive branch, as well as for citizens who hold more than one government official position.

It is also true that our legal documents do establish some restrictions on individuals in such positions. The Constitution states:
No person may simultaneously serve in government official positions in more than one of the executive, legislative, or judicial categories.[note]"Security" is notably absent from this list.[/note]
If a member of the line of succession assumes the duties of either position[note]The delegacy or vice-delegacy, as referenced earlier in the clause.[/note] while serving in, or having assumed the duties of, any other constitutionally-mandated elected office, they will be considered absent from that office.
However, the Constitution emphatically does not describe either situation as a "conflict of interest" for the relevant official. It steers clear of that language, focusing instead on what specific duties and responsibilities[/i[ an individual can simultaneously hold. This is an incredibly important distinction to bear in mind, because the Legal Code does define "Conflict of Interest", in a way that is very specific and exclusive:
4. A conflict of interest occurs when a Justice or Hearing Officer has a vested interest in a matter before the Court, or when they are otherwise unable to rule in a fair and unbiased manner.
This simple definition is clear argument against the idea that there is any such thing as a conflict of interest - inherent or otherwise - outside of the bounds of judicial position and decision making. The phrasing is precise and unambiguous; it gives no room for interpretation that any such thing is intended or implied beyond what is specified in the law.

Not only is it the law, but in this case I think it is also very good policy. Justices hold a rather unique position in TNP: as the final arbiter of what is and is not legal and what is and is not criminal, with no (or very limited) legal structure for repeal or appeal once a court has made its ruling, it is critical that its members remain above reproach in all that they do. Simply the appearance of bias can taint the perceived legitimacy of a decision.

No other position in TNP holds such power. In every other case, appeal to a higher authority (the delegate, perhaps, or the RA, or even the courts) can redress a grievance and right a wrong. If an official acts improperly, they can be removed from office, or recalled, or have their actions overturned, or be subject to criminal prosecution. If a law or policy is illegal, it can be amended or overturned or vetoed. As long as such means of appeal exist - appeals outside the power structure which sparked the complaint - then the potential for bias does not rise to the level of a legal threat.

To illustrate with an example: Suppose a longtime antagonist/enemy of the legal delegate were to gather sufficient endorsements to just barely pass the vice delegate, and a member of the security council - a longtime friend of the delegate - stated that they received a telegram from that nation indicating its intent to take the delegacy.

Our delegate, in this situation, is not unbiased - they already dislike the would-be couper, and are preemptively inclined to believe the worst of them. Likewise, they are likely inclined to think the best of the SC member, and to take for granted that the SC member is telling the truth.

However, none of us expect our delegate in this situation not to act! They have a legal duty to perform, a responsibility to uphold, and we do not expect the delegate to shuffle performance of an ejection or ban off onto another nation simply because it's possible that the antagonist is innocent, and the SC member contrived to give them enough endorsements to rise above the VD and then made up a story about getting a telegram, and the delegate may not be the best person to assess, in an unbiased and clearheaded manner, who is telling the truth.

Why? Because that is what legal appeals are for. In this situation, while an unnecessary removal from the region is unfortunate, any ejection or ban due to bias can be overturned by the court, and any connivance on the part of an SC member can result in their own loss of position or even criminal conviction. Anything done can be undone.

Not so, for the court. No body in TNP has the power to overturn a conviction, or to commute a sentence.[note]With the possible (theoretical) exception of the court itself, but only in a convoluted means that is not a standard appeals process.[/note] Even recall of all three justices does not change what the court has made law. At most, the RA can pass a new law that skirts around the ruling in a request for review... but it can do nothing for defendants hurt by biased justices. This is why we legislate on perceptions and interests for justices, but deal only with appropriate duties and responsibilities for the rest of the government.

To apply this broad principle to the issue at hand, that of classification of security council information: Bias on the part of a member of the SC is about as relevant as bias on the part of a delegate or a minister when it comes to information subject to the Freedom of Information Act - it isn't, because the information is[note]and very much was[/note] subject to court review, and the redacted information can be declassified if appropriate.

Secondly, I want to take a moment to stand up against the idea that the attorney general's role is to secure convictions at all costs, regardless of the truth or the evidence, and that they de facto cannot be trusted to act appropriately with evidence. I think our laws do not view the AG this way, either; we recognize that not all cases should be prosecuted, and we give the AG the discretion to investigate and to determine what deserves to be brought to trial, and what does not. At no point, in our laws or in our culture, do we encourage the AG to adopt a "convictions-first" attitude. It is certainly not uncommon for an AG to decline to prosecute someone based on either insufficient evidence or insufficient wrongdoing, and exactly none of our legal documents normalize the idea that it's okay for them to take whatever steps are necessary, including lying, to get a conviction.

I understand that this is a thing that happens in real life. I understand that there are unscrupulous prosecutors who will suppress exculpatory evidence and push for higher conviction rates, at the expense of actual people and actual justice. I also understand that it is always possible for our elected officials to act with bias, malice aforethought, or other impure motives.

However, I do not believe that the correct response to this is to regard our officials with deep-seated mistrust, and view their every action as potential evidence of wrongdoing or corruption. To do so would destroy any real sense of community we have. Rather, I think the appropriate response to the always-present possibility of some people being jerks is to build in safeguards against such potentialities; to create checks and balances, gives and takes, that minimize the damage someone can do.

I think we have that here, even if the specifics of this situation could stand to be improved - a more formalized process would not go amiss, for example, and I think it would be entirely reasonable for the court to establish one in its ruling on this. It's also certainly less than ideal that this all happened during last-minute crunch time for evidence submission, which left everybody's hands stuck in a pickle jar rather than able to carefully consider absolute best practices and precedent. But even with all of that, the specific necessary elements were met - the SC made a broad[note]Not unanimous, but supermajoritous (is that a word?)[/note] determination on what should be classified, the non-sensitive portions were made public, and the court reviewed the sensitive portions in private and made a determination on their classifiability. This works well!

I am sorry for ending so abruptly, but I loaded this page this morning intending to write my brief, and only just (ten minutes ago) reloaded it and saw that the briefing period I thought ended at 10 PM actually ends at 8 PM, which is now.

I have rather more to say - sorry - and I hope the court might be willing to let me do so.

Given that my earlier post that restated the deadline "for clarity" actually ended up obfuscating it, I'll allow briefs to be submitted for the next few hours and not really worry about it. After all, it's not like we'll refuse to read them if they're posted late. The only reason there's a deadline for briefs is because at some point we have to draft and publish a ruling, and we want to be sure that there's not more information coming in that we will need to consider.

tl;dr: Feel free to submit briefs for another two or three hours after the time of this post.

Thank you, your honor! I appreciate your leniency. The third (rather shorter) portion of my brief is as follows:

I have touched on the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) a few times: this was deliberate, and deserves examination in more depth. There is much to be drawn from this and similar laws when it comes to the question before the court.

FOIA applies only to the executive branch, as ruled by the court and as retained by later amendment in the RA. Its current iteration draws a significant amount of language regarding information that can and cannot be declassified from the current Adopted Court Rules. I will quote them, for ease of reference:
Adopted Court Rules:
Chapter 5: Declassification and Privacy
Section 2: Privacy of Information
  1. Information protected as private is defined as follows:
    • Real life information about any NationStates player from which there is a risk of inferring that player's real life identity and which has not willingly been disclosed to the public, including, but not limited to, an individual's name, IP address, physical address or location, phone number, place of employment or education, appearance, social media accounts, and other knowledge about a player, unless the player in question provides explicit consent for this information not to be considered private.
    • Real life information about any NationStates player for which there exists a reasonable real life expectation of privacy or discretion, including, but not limited to, health status, both mental and physical; financial status; personal tragedies; changes in personal status such as marriage, divorce, pregnancy, birth, or death; and other similar information, unless the player in question provides explicit consent for this information not to be considered private.
    • Information that, upon being made public, would jeopardize any ongoing military or intelligence operations; or jeopardize the security of units and agents participating in them, or be harmful to the diplomatic interests, military interests, or security of The North Pacific.
  2. The Court will not release Private information during its declassification process. This may take the form of withholding a thread in its entirety, or producing a copy of of the original thread with the Private information or posts redacted.
Freedom of Information Act:
31. For the purposes of this section, classified information is that which fits any of the below definitions:
  • Real life information about any NationStates player from which there is a risk of inferring that player's real life identity and which has not willingly been disclosed to the public, including, but not limited to, an individual's name, IP address, physical address or location, phone number, place of employment or education, appearance, social media accounts, and other knowledge about a player, unless the player in question provides explicit consent for this information not to be considered private.
  • Real life information about any NationStates player for which there exists a reasonable real life expectation of privacy or discretion, including, but not limited to, health status, both mental and physical; financial status; personal tragedies; changes in personal status such as marriage, divorce, pregnancy, birth, or death; and other similar information, unless the player in question provides explicit consent for this information not to be considered private.
  • Information that, upon being made public, would jeopardize any ongoing military or intelligence operations; or jeopardize the security of units and agents participating in them, or be harmful to the diplomatic interests, military interests, or security of The North Pacific.
32. Notwithstanding any process for publication, any information which meets the criteria to be classified will not be released.
As can be seen, their definitions - as well as their prohibitions against release - are identical. This was not done solely for consistency, though such consistency is admirable in TNP law, but also because (as I understand it) the court's definition was viewed as both comprehensive and sensible when the revised FOIA was drafted.

Now, neither of these laws applies to the security council. It is not subject to FOIA, and certainly not subject to the court's internal declassification rules. One could potentially argue that the court's own rules should be construed as applying to any evidence presented to it as well as to its internal deliberations; there is certainly some merit to this position, though it is not airtight. Regardless, I see no reason whatsoever that the court should not draw as much inspiration from these existing rules and processes as it can when crafting its ruling on this review.

FOIA establishes a procedure for obtaining information from the executive branch:
34. At any time a resident may request the release of any private record from the Government through the Delegate and the designated officers of the Executive.
35. The Delegate and the designated officers of the Executive will retrieve information requested from the different departments of the government.
36. Residents who do not receive this information for any reason not specifically designated in appropriate laws or regulations may file a request for the information to the court, where the Delegate and the designated officers of the Executive may present evidence that addresses any claim that release of the information meets one or more of the acceptable acceptable criteria for classification.
37. Information appropriately not disclosed will be accepted as classified by a majority vote of the Court sitting as a three-member panel.
This procedure is exceedingly simple. Any resident may request information from the executive branch. If denied, they may bring their request to the court, and the court has the power to make a final ruling. It is also highly adaptable to information held by the SC - any resident could make a request, and if denied, take their request to the court to review the information and make a decision.

This is not, in fact, quite as perfect in translation as it seems it should be. The SC has not adopted its own regulations for the declassification of private SC material, and until and unless it does so, any such content can only be required to be released by direct court order. The court has broad powers to interpret the law, but it cannot invent it wholesale, and therefore cannot simply rule that the exact same provisions laid out in FOIA also apply to the SC. Rather, the court must limit its ruling to addressing procedures that the court should follow when presented with an issue of this nature, and, if applicable, to procedures that residents should follow before bringing such requests to the court.

For example, it would be appropriate for the court to require that residents present a declassification request to the SC before bringing it to the court. It would also be appropriate for the court to hold that a three-judge panel must rule on any such request, and not have it be decided by a single moderating justice - or to decide the other way, and say a single justice may make such a ruling. The court could also reasonably require that the SC be given a chance to present an argument for why information should not be released, or that the petitioner be asked to state their reasons for wanting the specified material. All of these issues deal with what the court will and will not listen to, or what procedures it directly will or will not follow.

However, it would be inappropriate for the court to state that the SC must approve classifications or declassifications by a certain voting majority; or to issue a blanket order to release information on a rolling basis (as FOIA and the ACRs currently work); or that the SC is required to release information when requested, or anything of a similar nature. These kinds of questions are matters of internal SC policy, which the SC is entitled to set, or not set, as it wishes.

To conclude this rather long and, I'm sure, at times, rambling brief, I submit that the court should adapt the procedures and definitions that are part of FOIA for the SC, inasmuch as that is possible without the SC's own participation, while accounting for the differences in the nature of what is dealt with by the executive versus by the security council. There is a very fine line to tread between too much secrecy and not enough, between paranoia and reasonable wariness - but also between genuinely needed transparency and excessive or vicarious nosiness. No ruling or law can possibly account for all imaginable scenarios - ergo, however the court rules, whatever procedures it chooses to establish, flexibility and caution ought to be paramount.

Deliberations have begun. No more briefs will be accepted. The court will endeavor to provide a ruling within seven days, but I encourage you not to hold your breath, as this appears to be a fairly complex issue.

Apologies your honour, but to clarify a point made above, I was recused from the trial and could not in good conscience contribute to the deliberations, nor did I have access to them.

court_seal.png

Ruling of the Court of the North Pacific
In regards to the Judicial Inquiry filed by Ash on handling of evidence in the case of TNP vs. TSRONK

Opinion drafted by Crushing Our Enemies and Barbarossistan, joined by Abbey Anumia

The Court took into consideration the inquiry filed here by Ash.

The Court took into consideration the relevant portion of the Bill of Rights for all Nations of The North Pacific:
Bill of Rights:
7. When charged with criminal acts, Nations of The North Pacific shall have a fair, impartial, and public trial before a neutral and impartial judicial officer. In any criminal proceeding, a Nation is presumed innocent unless guilt is proven to the fact finder by reasonably certain evidence. A Nation may be represented by any counsel of the Nation's choosing. No Nation convicted of a crime shall be subject to a punishment disproportionate to that crime.
The Court took into consideration the relevant portions of the Codified Law of The North Pacific:
Legal Code:
1. All government officials will take the Oath of Office below before assuming their role within the government of The North Pacific.
I, [forum username], do hereby solemnly swear that during my term as [government position], I will uphold the ideals of Democracy, Freedom, and Justice of The Region of The North Pacific. I will use the powers and rights granted to me through The North Pacific Constitution and Legal Code in a legal, responsible, and unbiased manner, not abusing my power, committing misfeasance, malfeasance, or nonfeasance in office, in any gross or excessive manner. I will act only in the best interests of The North Pacific, not influenced by personal gain or any outside force, and within the restraints of my legally granted power. As such, I hereby take up the office of [government position], with all the powers, rights, and responsibilities held therein.
Legal Code:
31. For the purposes of this section, classified information is that which fits any of the below definitions:
The Court took into consideration the relevant Ruling of the Court of the North Pacific in regards to the Judicial Inquiry filed by flemingovia on the power of the Court to subpoena evidence:
The Court has no statutory or explicit constitutional authority to order disclosure or testimony in general: this has occasionally been cause for concern, such as when Attorney General Gasponia sought to prosecute several members of the United Defenders League in the wake of the Warhammer 40000 incident.

In order for the Court to fulfill its bill-of-right mandated duties to run a fair trial, however, as in the Ruling of the Court of the North Pacific In regards to the Judicial Inquiry filed by Gaspo on the Existence of a Duty to Disclose, the Court must and therefore may order the disclosure of information held by any branch of government necessary for a fair trial.

As the Court is best positioned to review the decisions of others rather than issue its own, it is appropriate for the Court not to issue such orders in the first instance. It is after a branch of the government has been presented with a request for information, and has chosen either to release it or to decline, that the Court is best positioned to review such a decision. The Court is entitled to treat a refusal to respond in a timely manner as a refusal of the request.

In general, exculpatory evidence may not be kept secret if a prosecution is to go forward. No nation may be convicted of any crime if exculpatory evidence exists and is not available to the defense. The revelation of such evidence after the fact, which could have been made available but was not, could well invalidate a conviction.

The Court opines the following:

If a governmental body of The North Pacific is in possession of evidence to be presented in court, they may redact or withhold classified information from the evidence. For purposes of this ruling, classified information is defined as any information that falls into the three categories defined by the Freedom of Information Act as it currently stands:
Freedom of Information Act:
A prosecutor may be involved in this decision due to also serving in a different capacity in the government. A Conflict of Interest may arise when an official has multiple goals, such as a prosecutor wishing to secure a conviction.

In order to protect the right to a fair trial, a full copy of the evidence must be provided by the government to the moderating justice, and only information which falls into the first two categories above may be redacted from this copy. At the moderating justice's discretion, this copy may be provided to both parties in the trial, and each decision to withhold or redact evidence that falls into the third category above may be overturned by the request of either party. Motions to overturn decisions by the government to redact or withhold evidence may be made by either party, even if the moderating justice's copy of the evidence is not provided to them. Unless a motion is granted to overturn the government's decision to redact or withhold evidence, no redacted or withheld evidence may be considered in the court's deliberations on any verdict or sentence.

The court finds that this process is sufficient to ensure a fair and impartial trial regardless of who made the initial decision to redact or withhold evidence or their motivation to do so. As a consequence the court finds that a prosecutor may be involved in the decision to withhold or redact evidence. The court also finds that Sillystring did not violate the Bill of Rights by being involved in the decision to redact evidence in the TSronK trial.

The court wishes to remind officials that deciding to redact or withhold evidence for any reason other than those listed above, particularly in order to improperly influence the outcome of a trial, may result in a violation of their oath of office. If it is found that evidence was improperly redacted or withheld the court may furthermore overturn a conviction influenced by this improper evidence.

Back