-
-
Pronouns
he/him/his
TNP Nation
Zemnaya Svoboda
Discord
Eluvatar#8517
As of recent recent changes the Soft Power Disbursement Rating scale has changed. It is no longer the square root of the influence total, but is now the raw influence total itself.

We therefore should adjust our SPDR minimum from 330 to the number it was a square root of: 300 * 365 = 109 500.

Bill to Update the Regional Security Law to reflect Influence Scoring Change:
1. Clause 4 in Section 1 of Chapter 5, Regional Security Law, will be updated to the following:
5.1:
4. The influence requirement for members of the Council consists of an influence score (Soft Power Disbursement Rating) within The North Pacific greater than or equal to 109,500, or an influence rank within The North Pacific greater than or equal to Apprentice, whichever is lower.

Annotated:

5.1:
4. The influence requirement for members of the Council consists of an influence score (Soft Power Disbursement Rating) within The North Pacific greater than or equal to 330 109,500, or an influence rank within The North Pacific greater than or equal to Apprentice, whichever is lower.

Given that currently any nation with at least 300 endorsements is eligible to join The North Pacific Security Council, which was certainly not the intent of the law, I call for a vote as soon as possible.

I wasn't sure whether this would be a problem, since I thought it was merely a cosmetic change.

That said, I agree with the call for a vote as soon as possible.

Eluvatar:
We therefore should adjust our SPDR minimum from 330 to the number it was a square root of: 300 * 365 = 109 500.
I'm confused by your mathematical concepts... Shouldn't this be the squared of 330 (108900)?? Or is there something I'm getting wrong?

The Bill is now in formal debate. Formal debate will conclude in three days, at which time a vote shall be scheduled.

Eluvatar:
Given that currently any nation with at least 300 endorsements is eligible to join The North Pacific Security Council, which was certainly not the intent of the law, I call for a vote as soon as possible.
Might I ask for clarification, is this a motion for immediate debate or simply request that there be formal debate and that it is curtailed?

I should note that curtailing formal debate, as my Deputy has done in the post above, does not seem inappropriate, given the the minor and technical nature of the proposal.

Elegarth:
Eluvatar:
I'm confused by your mathematical concepts... Shouldn't this be the squared of 330 (108900)?? Or is there something I'm getting wrong?
Yes, there's something you're getting wrong. :P

Elegarth:
Same here. It seems 300(endos) x 365(days in a year) = 109,500 was the calculation.. but that doesn't line up with the square root bit. Maybe I'm missing something.

Question: If the OP is calling for an immediate vote (not sure if that's the case), doesn't this apply?

Rules of the Regional Assembly of The North Pacific:
4. If a number of citizens equal to or exceeding one third of the number of votes required to achieve quorum for any legislative vote, including the citizen that introduced the proposal to the Regional Assembly, motion that a vote should be held on a proposal before the Regional Assembly, then the Speaker must schedule a vote on that proposal to begin as soon as permitted by law.

falapatorius:
Question: If the OP is calling for an immediate vote (not sure if that's the case), doesn't this apply?

Rules of the Regional Assembly of The North Pacific:
4. If a number of citizens equal to or exceeding one third of the number of votes required to achieve quorum for any legislative vote, including the citizen that introduced the proposal to the Regional Assembly, motion that a vote should be held on a proposal before the Regional Assembly, then the Speaker must schedule a vote on that proposal to begin as soon as permitted by law.
That is correct, which is why I have asked for clarification as to whether the proposer is in fact making such a motion

Curtailed formal debate would be ideal.

falapatorius:
Elegarth:
Same here. It seems 300(endos) x 365(days in a year) = 109,500 was the calculation.. but that doesn't line up with the square root bit. Maybe I'm missing something.

The square root of 109,500 is about 330.91 -- the site would round down, so nations meeting the secretly intended requirement of 300*365 influence points would have an old-style SPDR influence score of 330 shown.

The fact that the old-style SPDR was the square root of the total raw influence was treated as secret because of alleged intimations from a site administrator that the (whole) system might be changed if the details were published. The shift to using the raw influence total as the SPDR score, which is very easily confirmed, means that concern is no longer applicable.

falapatorius:
Elegarth:
In case Elu's explanation doesn't clarify anything - and it's kind of confusingly worded IMO, sorry Elu - the score in the Legal Code right now was generated by calculating the amount of influence, given GCR influence decay, a nation with 300 endorsements would have after 6 months. It's approximately 300*365, given two updates per day, and ignoring things like leap years, which works out to an SPDR score of 330.

I am also on board with changing the law to reflect the raw score.

I'm confused, how would this affect me?
Or would it even at all?

Stenc:
Or would it even at all?
It only affects applicants to the Security Council. All it does it change the SPDR (influence) requirement to reflect how influence is now calculated in NS since the update. Tbh, only the number is being changed. As the OP illustrates, it still works out roughly to the same influence requirement.

falapatorius:
Stenc:
Or would it even at all?
It only affects applicants to the Security Council. All it does it change the SPDR (influence) requirement to reflect how influence is now calculated in NS since the update. Tbh, only the number is being changed. As the OP illustrates, it still works out roughly to the same influence requirement.
Thanks.
(Guess I'm off to acquire influence then)

SillyString:
falapatorius:
Elegarth:
In case Elu's explanation doesn't clarify anything - and it's kind of confusingly worded IMO, sorry Elu - the score in the Legal Code right now was generated by calculating the amount of influence, given GCR influence decay, a nation with 300 endorsements would have after 6 months. It's approximately 300*365, given two updates per day, and ignoring things like leap years, which works out to an SPDR score of 330.

I am also on board with changing the law to reflect the raw score.
Thanks. Got it.

Back