Historical Empire (Planning thread)

@Yrkidding, though McMasterdonia should probably read this too.

I see your point. We need to intertwine our nations' history as much as possible, to make it realistic, which obviously involves older political entities :)

For the following timeline (breakup of the last Archipelagian Kingdom to the annexation of Boraea into the United Nine), I've used your timeline dates that involve BC. I don't know if that is the equivalent of our BC or if its something else, but for simplicity I'll use it. We can always change it later.

707BC: High King Erurainon IV dies at the age of 64 with three male heirs, triplets. None have been declared Crown Prince. The House of Eru comes to an end.
706BC: Uios, the eldest (marginally) declares himself High King on the Isle of Quachel, in the Archipelegian Citadel of Rachtin. The two other brothers refuse to recognise him.
704BC: Civil War begins. Euiven the Noble, already Lord of Lorem, also declares himself High King in the city of Lorem. Veapos, the youngest (marginally) son, does not support his claim, but neither does he support his eldest brother.
699BC: The Archipelegian Kingdom breaks down entirely. Five years on, Uios has ended all opposition on Quachel and assembled a fleet. The First Battle of the Straights begins as the Quachilian Armada sails towards Lorem and Southside (the southernmost province of Archegnum). Neither side wins decisively, but the Armada returns home.
657BC: The Bluepoint Uprising. Loremian authority over Bluepoint is overthrown in a Quachilian-backed rebellion. The uprising is quashed, but the southern city-states of Southside break away from the direct control of any of the three factions.
654: Uios, Iget (‘ruler’ in Archegnuman) of Quachel, dies. His son, Uios II, takes the Quachilian throne.
651BC: Euiven and Veapos die in the same year. Lorem expects to receive Lady Hyaline, Euiven’s daughter, as their Iget, but a chauvinistic-motivated coup replaces the monarchy with an oligarchic Republic, a Doge at its head. Veapos’s son, Eruroth, becomes Iget of the ‘North’.
637BC: Eruroth proclaims the ‘Kingdom of Boraea’ in the north of the former Archipelegian Kingdom, with McMasterdonian backing. Eruroth cites the Republic in Lorem as a symbol of the death of Archegnum, but still claims his rights to the ‘High Kingship’ over the archipelago, vowing that his House will reunite it one day.
620: Under increasing military threat from the Igetia of Quachel, Boraea swears fealty to the McMasterdonian Emperor and becomes his vassal, effectively bringing the fledgling Kingdom into the Empire. Napier, Boraea’s ally, follows not long afterwards.
593BC: After many years of skirmishes, Quachel and Lorem go to war again after a trade dispute through the Strait erupts into conflict.
585BC: The Iget of Quachel agrees to swear fealty to the Emperor of McMasterdonia in return for support in his war with Lorem. The Emperor agrees.
582BC: Quachel officially joins the Empire as a vassal state. Imperial support against Lorem sharply increases.
576BC: The war against Lorem ends after many years, with an Imperial victory in the Second Battle of the Strait. Lorem is forced to give up its dominion over Bluepoint and relinquishes its directly ruled territories on the mainland to Imperial authority, under the rule of Quachel.
569BC: The Grand Duke of Bluepoint and its territories, under the influence of the Empire through Quachel, swears fealty to the Emperor, becoming a member state.
555BC: The Grand Duke of Bluepoint dies. Treaty of Union between Quachel and Bluepoint – Bluepoint and its Grand Duchy annexed into Quachel under the Emperor.
532BC: An event known as the ‘Titular Crisis’ occurs. The Iget of Quachel, still with his (unrecognised by the other Archegnuman states) title ‘High King’, declares himself such over Lorem, Boraea and the southern city-states. The Emperor intervenes of behalf of the King of Boraea and instead threatens to award the title to him. Quachel withdraws after similar threats from the other Kingdoms on Archlancer.
519BC: Quachel occupies the port city-states of Asimi, Defteros and Igatea on the western coast of Southside. This is supported by the Empire. Lorem protests but is too weak to intervene. The move brings the inland cities under economic subservience to Quachel.
506BC: Quachel stirs up a fishing dispute with Lorem into an excuse for war, swiftly occupying the city and unilaterally annexing it into its territories.
500BC: In this symbolic year, the Emperor of McMasterdonia officially crowns the Iget of Quachel ‘High King’ over all Archegnum. This worries the Boraeans, but to the Empire, they are a separate entity in their own right and detached from Archipelegian issues, despite their history. In this, the Emperor is wrong. The High King refuses to recognise the new state as an ‘Archipelagian Kingdom’ for this reason.
484BC: By now, all of the city-states of Southside have been annexed into Archegnum.
470-425BC: In this periods, numerous tensions, skirmishes, and diplomatic confrontations occur between Archegnum and Boraea. All attempts an annexation fail, due to pressure from the other Archlancerian states and the Imperial government.
424BC: The Kingdom of Boraea is annexed into the ‘United Nine’, after the Boraean King, Nabonidon II, abdicates under pressure from the other Kingdoms of Archlancer. Although not of pure ‘Southmen’ stock, Boraea affiliates itself with them.

That looks like a good start. I think now that I know who is interested, I can draw up a _general_ history of the Empire. We can then choose what parts of the Empire would be involved in each issue, and things like succession votes and the like.

TO BE ADDED TO:
The instances of
600-720: Rethenism is founded. It quickly spreads across
835: Rethenites found the city of Newport. They establish a feudal society.
850: Feudal society thrives. The Kingdom of Clethelbend is established. Ivan I is the first ruler. The Leaders of [McMasterdonia] are notified, and recognize Ivan as ruler under their authority.
851: Midcastle is constructed and made the Capital of the Kingdom.
880: Clethelbend claims "all the lands of Plembybnyc." This is the first reference to the term "Plembobria."
890: Farmers settle in the northern part of region. (Modern day Northelfrith, Mediglorn, and Cherpis.)
912: The landed House of Frithia dominates in the north. They declare independence from Clethelbend, declaring the Kingdom of Frithia.
940: The House of Glorn grapples with Frithia for supremacy, the southern half of Frithia becomes autonomous and named the Duchy of Glornia.
952: Glornia secures independence from Frithia. Frithia becomes the Kingdom of North Frithia.
970: The Kingdom of Clethelbend invades North Frithia, and is defeated
974: Alfred I marries Maude of Glornia, and an alliance is formed.
975: Alfred requests aid against North Frithia from McMasterdonia.
980: Maude has an affair with King Joseph of North Frithia and is executed. War breaks out.
1000: A truce is brokered by Queen-Regent Cassandra.
1002: King John II succeeds to the throne of Clethelbend. He never marries, but has several bastard children.
1017: John II dies. There is a disputed succession between Charles of Pyr, and Edward of . Edward is preferred by the gentry, while Charles is preferred by the peasants.
1018: The Council forges documents claiming that Edward is the legitimate heir, as his father's marriage was secret. The claim is upheld by [McMasterdonia]. Charles refuses to capitulate. War rages on for three years.
1021: Edward defeats Charles, but makes him Duke of Pyr, the county of his birth.
1022: Charles marries Catherine of North Frihia.
1025: Charles convinces peasants to join him in an uprising against Edward. A majority of land is seized before Edward dies of an unknown disease. His sickly son, Harold, is declared King of Clethelbend.
1026: Johnslo I orders the Charles to cease the fighting or be removed forcibly. This leads to peace. Johnslo also grants independence to Charles' land, forming the Grand Duchy of Pyrandia.
1029: Johnslo dies and Pyrandia declares war on Glornia.
1031: North Frithia joins the war on the side of Pyrandia.
1032: Charles is killed in battle. His son, Charles II agrees to make peace.'>
850: Feudal society thrives. The Kingdom of Clethelbend is established. Ivan I is the first ruler. The Leaders of [McMasterdonia] are notified, and recognize Ivan as ruler under their authority.
880: Clethelbend claims "all the lands of Plembybnyc." This is the first reference to the term "Plembobria."
890: Farmers settle in the northern part of region. (Modern day Northelfrith, Mediglorn, and Cherpis.)
912: The landed House of Frithia dominates in the north. They declare independence from Clethelbend, declaring the Kingdom of Frithia.
940: The House of Glorn grapples with Frithia for supremacy, the southern half of Frithia becomes autonomous and named the Duchy of Glornia.
952: Glornia secures independence from Frithia. Frithia becomes the Kingdom of North Frithia.
980: Maude has an affair with King Joseph of North Frithia and is executed. War breaks out.
1002: King John II succeeds to the throne of Clethelbend. He never marries, but has several bastard children.
1017: John II dies. There is a disputed succession between Charles of Pyr, and Edward of . Edward is preferred by the gentry, while Charles is preferred by the peasants.
1018: The Council forges documents claiming that Edward is the legitimate heir, as his father's marriage was secret. The claim is upheld by [McMasterdonia]. Charles refuses to capitulate. War rages on for three years.
1021: Edward defeats Charles, but makes him Duke of Pyr, the county of his birth.
1025: Charles convinces peasants to join him in an uprising against Edward. A majority of land is seized before Edward dies of an unknown disease. His sickly son, Harold, is declared King of Clethelbend.
1026: Johnslo I orders the Charles to cease the fighting or be removed forcibly. This leads to peace. Johnslo also grants independence to Charles' land, forming the Grand Duchy of Pyrandia.
1032: Charles is killed in battle. His son, Charles II agrees to make peace.
'>.
800: Rethenites are expelled from 1021: Edward defeats Charles, but makes him Duke of Pyr, the county of his birth.
'> refer to the areas in which Rethenism was founded and spread. I don't know much about geography of McMasterdonia. [McMasterdonia] refers to the name of the dominant polity there.

600-720: Rethenism is founded. It quickly spreads across 835: Rethenites found the city of Newport. They establish a feudal society.
'>.
800: Rethenites are expelled from 1021: Edward defeats Charles, but makes him Duke of Pyr, the county of his birth.

@ Arch, still need to respond to your post, I will but I think I'd also like to talk to you on the IRC sometime about it for fluidity's sake.

Yrkidding:
@ Arch, still need to respond to your post, I will but I think I'd also like to talk to you on the IRC sometime about it for fluidity's sake.
Okay. Where exactly is the IRC on this site? In the Lounge?

Archegnum:
Yrkidding:
Okay. Where exactly is the IRC on this site? In the Lounge?
At the top of the page, the thing that says "irc"

So as I said before I my nation won its independence in 1582. However I've been thinking about doing a rewrite of my history so if you are ok with it I would like to say Esplandia won its independence from McM. I was thinking that Esplandia could have been a Grand Duchy like say Luxembourg or Austria.

Esplandia:
So as I said before I my nation won its independence in 1582. However I've been thinking about doing a rewrite of my history so if you are ok with it I would like to say Esplandia won its independence from McM. I was thinking that Esplandia could have been a Grand Duchy like say Luxembourg or Austria.
Well if my northern neighbor was a part of this thingie, it might as well be that Dallicania was a part of it. If this empire was HRE-ish, we could've been the foreigners with a strange language and strange writing and strange religion. Like Bohemia. :P Although I'm still thinking of mechanisms and reasons as to how Dallicania could've resisted assimilation and foreign influence (again, like Bohemia?), especially when our northern neighbor seems to have accepted lots of it and Dallicanians didn't. ;)

Or, we could've been the pesky holdouts, surrounded by the Empire lands. Might sound plausible, yes?

Kyle:
Esplandia:
Well if my northern neighbor was a part of this thingie, it might as well be that Dallicania was a part of it. If this empire was HRE-ish, we could've been the foreigners with a strange language and strange writing and strange religion. Like Bohemia. :P Although I'm still thinking of mechanisms and reasons as to how Dallicania could've resisted assimilation and foreign influence (again, like Bohemia?), especially when our northern neighbor seems to have accepted lots of it and Dallicanians didn't. ;)

Or, we could've been the pesky holdouts, surrounded by the Empire lands. Might sound plausible, yes?
He wouldn't have controlled all of it, just the eastern seaboard since the rest was added through conquest and marriages. I just don't have a very long history so I'm looking to intertwine myself with bigger countries.

I know you're probably working on your timeline still, but by any chance could you tell me what was going on in your nation around, or right before, 1580? This will help me decide why Sherwin I rebelled.

Kidding and I are going to have a chat on the IRC at some point, to work a few things out about our respective histories and how they are linked.

A quick question though - from what year are dates recorded? Or is there no official 'year 0' as of yet?

Is this still a thing? Been looking for a "parent" empire to break away from. My history is entirely open to adaptations as I'm just basically importing my RP nation info from Taijitu.

Bustos:
Syrixia:
Bustos:
Been looking for a "parent" empire to break away from.
HI! :D
I looked at your pre-history and I'm afraid it doesn't sync with what I am looking for.

My proximity and prehistory more aligns with mcm, if hes willing. :yes:
Hi Bustos.

This is definitely still open. I imagine as more nations join the map too, they may want to participate in it later. Provide me with a general idea of how your nation became to be a member of the Empire/at what point/and how/when it left the Empire (ideally after the 1600s if possible).

I've typed up a little of a history and a timeline but waiting to be placed on the map before working out any details.

Since I've taken NHA's spot, I created a history replacing his. He didn't have much to begin with. Adapted the rest of my prehistory to align with yours as the most opportune time to declare independence.

1004BC: War of the Clans begins. Clans of Konjah, Korath, Anntak, and Buto fight each other for land, resources, women, and bragging rights. Each clan seeks to bring the rest under their rule.

902BC: Nearly a century later, the Clans of Konjah, Korath, Anntak, and Buto become united under Warlord Vagh of Buto. The males of the ruling families of Konjah, Korath, and Anntak are publicly executed. Warlord Vagh take their wives and daughters as his own. By doing this, he merges the bloodlines of the other clans with his, ending the War of the Clans.

755BC: The Kianese Empire invades Buto.

749BC: The Kianese captures the ruling family of Buto and kills them. Creates the Grand Duchy of Bustos under the Kianese Empire. It initially only holds 4 city states, including its capital/port Athene, home of the Grand Duke.

Grand Duke Markus, the First of Bustos, formerly of Castello, Conquerer of Buto goes on and creates three more Great Houses under his to rule over the remaining city states. Also creates the High Council, with each Great House gaining a seat.

Spends much of its history expanding the grand duchy through annexation and conquest towards the north when not involved in Kianese's wars.

1240: Athene, capital and main port of the grand duchy, increases in statue as Floregasque trading ships traverse between McMasterdonia and Floresque. Naval power begins to become a matter of importance for the Grand Duchy of Bustos.

1500s-1700s: High Council creates a trading company called Bustos Eastern Shipping. Considered the first multinational corporation in the world, as well as the first company to issue stock. As ship technologies advance, seafaring trading becomes an economical boon for the Grand Duchy; further placing importance on naval power.

When income from the Bustos Eastern Shipping grows, McMasterdonia place higher taxes on the Grand Duchy of Bustos. The navy, and sequentially the marines, of the Grady Duchy of Bustos are often called upon to fight in the wars of the Kianese Empire. This sows anger and dissent of the High Council and its peoples, which becomes the basis for its declaration of independence.

Bustos Eastern Shipping strengthens control of trading routes and diversify their interests by building their own factories, buying farms, and investing in ship building and arms manufacturing. They also contract the Grand Duchy's navy and marines for escort/garrison of its trading routes and ports. The trading company becomes involved in many aspects of the grand duchy.

1700: War of the Prides break out.

July 4th, 1730: As the War of the Prides continue for decades, the High Council grows tired of supporting McMasterdonia and recalls all of its levies and declares independence. The Grand Duchy of Bustos reorganizes into the Allied States of Bustos.

While yes, Bustos you do own most of my former claim, I kindly ask you don't use my names for your country, please?

I am still very interested in sorting this out, however, due to GCSE Exams being about a month away, I have little time to contribute to the discussion. I will speak with Kidding when I can, but that has yet to happen, alas.

Keep it up while I'm gone :)

Back