[discussion] Embassies

mcmasterdonia

Just like a queef in the wind, so is life
-
-
-
TNP Nation
McMasterdonia
Embassies have been one of the more active parts of TNP role play since I joined in 2012. Now I ask, what should we be doing with them? It is enough that we use them to simply establish relations between nations? Could we use them more effectively?

I welcome your ideas on this matter.

I feel that embassies are too simple.
Enter an application and never use them again.
I also have a problem with the applications, I feel a nation should actually have some interaction and relation prior to this.

I think we should strive to have more embassy events such as negotiations or dinner parties or even protests against nations.

Personally, whenever I sign up for an embassy, I write the details of it down. The staff I have in it, the vehicles, the delegates, etc; however, I never use this information. I have been planning to do something, but never get the time to. One thing I would like to see is (like cronaal said) more interaction between nations prior to signing up. Starting diplomatic relations is something that should be held in high importance, not a sign one then move on.

But other than simply RPing with more events, what should we do with that area to make it more interesting? Should we take a different approach to Embassy relations entirely?

At the moment we're taking the same approach as the wider NS RP scene, which isn't to say we're doing it bad or good particularly, but the have it, love it, forget it way of doing things is how it's done.

I think it comes down to how people acknowledge their own embassies. If your about to join an rp with someone you have an embassy with, you can include that embassy in your RP, either with it taking a large role or even just by mentioning it. It provides background and extra padding.

Honestly the mere fact to have embassies makes me happy, and i belive that adding special events such as protests or gala dinners can harm the desire of others to create an embassy exchange program.

Perhaps an additional function would be to lodge diplomatic cables. Grievances or commendations toward a government

Personally I try to use embassies in role play scenarios whenever possible. If you actually dig through my Factbook you will notice that I keep track of every single character I use.

Anyways, one article I've meant to read through more is here: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12342#p435858
It is a massive guide on a lot of things NationStates, one of them being embassies.

And at the moment, I have no idea how to make them more interesting. Need more beer before I start offering suggestions...

I was contemplating whether or not we could attempt to take a regional approach to Embassies.

Embassies between regions use them as a way of exchanging news, updates, congratulatory messages, etc. They are generally used for forum communication that would occur in public. It would take too much administrative work for each nation to have their own Embassy on the forum in a similar way, but perhaps we should try to using Embassies to function as a way of exchanging official government news and the like?

mcmasterdonia:
I was contemplating whether or not we could attempt to take a regional approach to Embassies.

Embassies between regions use them as a way of exchanging news, updates, congratulatory messages, etc. They are generally used for forum communication that would occur in public. It would take too much administrative work for each nation to have their own Embassy on the forum in a similar way, but perhaps we should try to using Embassies to function as a way of exchanging official government news and the like?
Lord Lore and I were considering something along those lines through a regionally issued RP newspaper, but obviously not every country's article will be able to get into each issue if we do make that. It's worth considering.

mcmasterdonia:

I like this idea. How about this: Each player creates a single thread for all the embassies in their nation. (i.e. "Plembobrian Foreign Ministry"). Countries that have an embassy with the OP post government news and information, or messages from their ambassador (or anything else) in that thread.

Back