LOOK AT THIS...AMAZINGNESS

Syrixia

The one, the true, the great.
-
TNP Nation
Syrixia
Discord
TrialByDance#0419
Plembobria made this for me; I just had to show everyone.
BIG BIG BIG KUDOS TO HIM.

syrixia.png

Thoughts?

"Glory to the Republic!" Google translate gave me "Gloria in rem publicam".

Silly String:
Google translate can't be trusted on grammar.
So true. Spanish can be particularly troublesome with Google. But I find it helps a bit to enter the translation back into Google and see how it translates back into English. My Spanish friends still chuckle at my attempts though. :blush:

I took Latin as my world language elective all four years throughout my high school career. And I can tell you like Asta did that this is not how you write it. And also like she said, google translator actually performs very poorly in translating.

However, my Roleplaying friend, I was able to translate the phrase “Glory to the republic” to "Laus ad res publica."

I hope this helps :)

~ Tomb

Gloria in rem publicam sounds better though; just pretend it is a perverted version-y-slangesque Latin made in Syrixia.

But anyways, about the crest itself; what do you all think? If you want you can ask Plembobria for one for your nation. (Just don't strain him or I'll have hell to pay...)

The Democratic Republic of Tomb:
I took Latin as my world language elective all four years throughout my high school career. And I can tell you like Asta did that this is not how you write it. And also like she said, google translator actually performs very poorly in translating.

However, my Roleplaying friend, I was able to translate the phrase “Glory to the republic” to "Laus ad res publica."

I hope this helps :)

~ Tomb
Google translate feature will utterly maul any language. I does particularly nasty things to German and Italian, especially in the context and grammar departments.

Gloria = glory

in = in

rem = withdrawing (shortened form of the adverbial form of removare)

publicam = pubic lice (shortened form of two English words: PUBic Lice, latinized.)

Etymology is simple when you know how. The phrase could loosely be translated

"hooray for the burrowing pubic lice"

PS I studied latin for seven years, classical greek for three and koine greek for three. But I am over 50, so received a proper education.

More seriously, the preposition "in" should take the dative singular form of res publica

Both words would be declined, as is normal in latin.

So the correct form of the phrase is:

GLORIA IN REI PUBLICAE

"Res" is quite a tricksy fifth-declension noun.

My condolences to those forced to study dead languages.

Or as we say in Welsh, fy nghydymdeimlad.

Edit: That should actually be fy cydymdeimlad rather than nghydymeimlad, but as the latter translates to something very similar (sympathies rather than condolences) there's not much difference there.

flemingovia:
More seriously, the preposition "in" should take the dative singular form of res publica

GLORIA IN REI PUBLICAE

This is correct, although I think traditionally 'in' would be excluded. At least it was on the coinage that utilized the same motto:

Gloria Rei Publicae

Sometimes...

Gloria Reipublicae

Otherwise, a very nice design.

Gracius Maximus:
flemingovia:

GLORIA IN REI PUBLICAE

This is correct, although I think traditionally 'in' would be excluded. At least it was on the coinage that utilized the same motto:

Gloria Rei Publicae

Sometimes...

Gloria Reipublicae

the preposition can be inferred by the use of the dative, it is true. In Rome, stonemasons were generally paid by the letter, so inscriptions often abbreviated words or omitted prepositions where case or context made the meaning clear.

flemingovia:
Gracius Maximus:
flemingovia:

GLORIA IN REI PUBLICAE

Gloria Rei Publicae

Sometimes...

Gloria Reipublicae

the preposition can be inferred by the use of the dative, it is true. In Rome, stonemasons were generally paid by the letter, so inscriptions often abbreviated words or omitted prepositions where case or context made the meaning clear.
Yes, but a monetarius wouldn't be restricted in this manner and the epigraphy of the coinage often included ample spacing for the preposition but was omitted anyway. Likely because it was superfluous to the phrase's meaning.

EDIT: stupid autocorrect

It is a particular latin form, the future passive participle, which behaves like an adjective. It is often confused with a gerund, which is a verbal noun.

my cat is going to be castrated in latin would be a gerundive clause.

Given all the interest interest in Latin, how would you translate the following:

"The Northern Light that Guides Us Home"

hmmm. My last latin lesson was in 1981. But it would be something like:

Aurora Borealis qui nos ad domum advertit.

(For all those about to shout that Domum should be in the dative, remember that the preposition ad takes the accusative case).

There are a number of verbs in LAtin that mean "to guide" I chose adverto because it has overtones of steering a ship, which I thought was nice. could use "derigo", i suppose. or dirigo, etc.

Just found out that Gloria in rem publicam means Glory to the State. Close enough.

It doesn't really mean that. ;) A closer translation would, I think, be "glory into the republic".

To flem and GM, it's been a while since I reviewed my latin, so I wasn't sure whether I should recommend "in rei publicae", "ad rem publicam", or simply "rei publicae". I see all three have been suggested. :P

r3n, we told you it wouldn't fit on the seal. :mellow:

Edit: On the subject of Google Translate again, it actually works pretty well as a word-to-word translator. But it struggles hard with grammar, and gets worse the further away from English you go. So German is not so bad most of the time, but Arabic... oh dear.

The Spokesman of Eumenor:
And also, if Welsh isn't already a dead language, it ought to be. ;-)
Rydych yn ddrwg a dylech deimlo'n ddrwg!

flemingovia:
hmmm. My last latin lesson was in 1981. But it would be something like:

Aurora Borealis qui nos ad domum advertit.

(For all those about to shout that Domum should be in the dative, remember that the preposition ad takes the accusative case).

There are a number of verbs in LAtin that mean "to guide" I chose adverto because it has overtones of steering a ship, which I thought was nice. could use "derigo", i suppose. or dirigo, etc.
Here's what we got from the Latin Motto Clinic:

Lux Septentrionalis quae Nos Domum Dirigit.

Quae? yes. I forgot "lux" was a third declension FEMININE noun. My bad.

Lux Septentrionalis works as a literal translation

I still would not use dirigio. But that is just me.

flemingovia:
It is a particular latin form, the future passive participle, which behaves like an adjective. It is often confused with a gerund, which is a verbal noun.

my cat is going to be castrated in latin would be a gerundive clause.

[flash]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbI-fDzUJXI[/flash]​

;)

Back