Discussion: HMS Unicorn's SC Application

Discord
COE#7110
HMS Unicorn has applied to the SC:
r3naissanc3r:
I, HMS Unicorn, a Handshaker (453 SPDR) with 568 endorsements, apply to join the Security Council.
This application will be discussed for a minimum of two days. A vote will be scheduled when once the minimum discussion period has passed, and once a motion for a vote has been made and seconded.

The reason we're doing this again is that r3n never posted his oath of office, and thus never actually became a Security Council member. Now it is too late for him to post his oath, so he has reapplied.

I would like to shorten the discussion period on this, given the circumstances, but the SC procedure is inflexible on this matter. In the meantime, I will have r3n removed from the government page, but allow him access to the Security Council private area, as is my prerogative:
SC Procedure:
a. If the Delegate is a member of the Council, they will have access to whatever Security Council private area may exist as a member.
b. Otherwise, the Chair may grant or remove access to or from the Delegate as they judge appropriate for the purposes of promoting regional security.

Agreed. This matter is only procedural - in practice, r3n is welcome to continue participating in these forums in his capacity as delegate while this membership issue is worked out. The only part of security council business that he can't participate in until officially rejoining the assembly would be the votes themselves.

Democratic Donkeys:
I would like this to move quickly as r3n is a great addition to the Security Council.
I will second that.

Anything that can be done to expedite the matter is welcome.

As I see it, we already approved the app months ago. He can just go ahead and take the oath.

IMO this is a whole new level of splitting hairs.

It's unfortunate, but I think we do have to jump through this hoop. The legal code gives new government officials a certain period of time to take their oath, and specified that taking the oath constitutes assuming office. There's no real way around it - believe me, if there was one, I'd be doing it. We can't even invoke the sanity clause, because the law under discussion is not in the security council section of the legal code.

In the meantime, r3n continues to enjoy SC privileges in his capacity as delegate, so his technical absence from the SC has little effect.

Back