DU Campaigning: Scandigrad for Chairman

First off, I would like to say, on behalf of the Commonwealth of Scandigrad, I am honored to have been nominated to stand as the Chairman of the Democratic Union. The position has proven to be key within the North Pacific, and has truly become a focal point for democracy within the North Pacific.

With that being said, the chairmanship requires some definitive leadership to be effective, and I hope to be your choice for this position. I have stood as the Deputy Minister for the North Pacific Army, served as Cartographer to the North Pacific, and currently stand as the Deputy Minister of Culture.

The success of the Democratic Union is extremely important to me. I have presented two major points of legislation that will help guide the DU, and give it the international backbone it currently lacks. The DU has long been regarded as a key force, and their opinion is highly valued, but it is only a matter of time before we begin to face a substantial threat from other nations. The current DU law has no provision for military support to member nations, and I hope to remedy that through knowledge and personal experience I gained when helping refound the NPA as the Deputy Minister for Defense.

We should not be worrying about the internal affairs of other nations. We, as a Union, need to become an even stronger international backbone, and with your vote and your support, I hope to lead the Democratic Union on that path.

Furthermore, what would particularly help the Democratic Union in addition to an overhaul of current legislation and decisive leadership, would be hosting DU wide meetings on a regular basis. Current debates involve only a few nations, and capture but a small fraction of the opinions of the DU as a whole. If elected Chairman, I hope to host IRC meetings on a regular basis to allow for quicker debate among the Union, and to form unified positions.

I would be humbled to receive your vote. I will now take questions.

Scandigrad:
We should not be worrying about the internal affairs of other nations.
Could you elaborate on this point? Specifically, does this mean that under your chairmanship the DU will only look at issues between nations and nothing internally such as blatent human rights violations? Does this statement apply to nations within the Democratic Union? If it does apply to nations within the DU, then does this imply that under your Chairmanship no action will be taken against DU nations that- through coup or otherwise- begin to abuse its citizens, actively block the democratic process, etc. in their nations?

Yrkidding:
Scandigrad:
We should not be worrying about the internal affairs of other nations.
Could you elaborate on this point? Specifically, does this mean that under your chairmanship the DU will only look at issues between nations and nothing internally such as blatent human rights violations? Does this statement apply to nations within the Democratic Union? If it does apply to nations within the DU, then does this imply that under your Chairmanship no action will be taken against DU nations that- through coup or otherwise- begin to abuse its citizens, actively block the democratic process, etc. in their nations?
I do echo this. Considering the fact that nations need to maintain a certain level of political freedom and civil liberties, in order to keep membership in the Union. Would that not involve worrying about certain internal affairs of nations?

The statement was intended to be exclusive to members of the Democratic Union. Naturally, each case should be considered on a case-by-case basis, and there is a distinct difference between being concerned about the internal affairs of member nations, and being worried. The main point I am trying to make is that we should not be seeking to intervene in our own members' affairs without due process, something that has been overlooked particularly in the situation with the McMasterdonians. Under no condition will our acceptance standards decline under my chairmanship. In fact, I plan on trying to strengthen them, and empower member nations by giving them a say in who is accepted into the Democratic Union.

The Democratic Union needs to be united against foreign powers, first and foremost. At this point, I want to strengthen the backbone and influence of the DU, while maintaining (and increasing) the standard with which we hold ourselves accountable to.

The nations within the union must be focused on before we look outwards. If we ignore issues within we will have a hard time being capable of handling external issues. And the Chair began a discussion on the McMasterdonian situation to bring the opinions of different members to the table. The poll that was with the discussion was merely to see levels of opinion, not to decide action.

Malvad:
The nations within the union must be focused on before we look outwards. If we ignore issues within we will have a hard time being capable of handling external issues. And the Chair began a discussion on the McMasterdonian situation to bring the opinions of different members to the table. The poll that was with the discussion was merely to see levels of opinion, not to decide action.
The McMasterdonian delegation seemed to be under the impression that it was a legitimate vote. In addition, besides gauging intended action, nothing was ever actually put to vote. Also, speaking as a member of the Democratic Union, there appeared to be no further action. Not even an official inquiry.

Many members of the union were unhappy with sending the issue to a vote and I was under the impression that we had decided to table the issue until McMasterdonia had returned to order. Which was at the request of McMasterdonia and many members including Scandigrad.

Malvad:
Many members of the union were unhappy with sending the issue to a vote
Except you motioned it to a vote, which was seconded. No voting thread appeared, and if you consider the "votes" that were cast in the thread, that is very poor form, and I would question their legitimacy.

Malvid:
I was under the impression that we had decided to table the issue until McMasterdonia had returned to order.

Was it put to a vote? No? Then it wasn't decided. Even if you count the informal declarations, the breakdown would be roughly 5-4 in favor of launching an investigation. There was clearly a split and yet what you're saying is the Chair chose, on it's own accord I might add, to table an issue that had been seconded to vote. How is the Democratic Union supposed to further 'democracy' if the Chair is out making authoritarian decisions?

Malvid:
Which was at the request of McMasterdonia and many members including Scandigrad.

Incorrect. We held a consistent line that an investigation should be launched. One that never was even put to vote despite being seconded.

Back