Updating the oath..

Just A suggestion I see floating around a lot. I thought I might give it a try. I want to see the opinion of TNP before I actually call for a vote on this.

Updated Oath:
I, [forum username], do hereby solemnly swear that during my term as [government position], I will uphold to the best of my ability the ideals of Democracy, Freedom, and Justice of The Region of The North Pacific the Constitution, Legal Code and Bill of Rights of The North Pacific. I will use the powers and rights granted to me through The North Pacific Constitution and Legal Code said documents in a legal, responsible, and unbiased manner, not abusing my power, committing misfeasance, malfeasance, or nonfeasance in office, in any gross or excessive manner. I will act only in the best interests of The North Pacific, not influenced by personal gain or any outside force, and within the restraints of my legally granted power. As such, I hereby take up the office of [government position], with all the powers, rights, and responsibilities held therein.

"aility" > ability.

I honestly think that the current version of the Oath is more suitable for the task.

Eluvatar:
Why do you want to strip references to the ideals of Democracy, Freedom, and Justice?

Crushing Our Enemies:
I don't think it is wise to pledge to use all powers of an office... o_O

What is the rationale for any of these changes?

^^^This

The oath of office has gone through three (and a half, sorta) Constitutions and Legal Codes, and a basically unchanged Bill of Rights since the oath was adopted as TNP's first law back in 2004.

These proposed changes make little sense given TNP's history, the commitment to the principles of Democracy, Freedom, and Justice exist without regard to any particular set of governing documents that may be in place at any particular time.

I would not be supporting this proposal.

Back