WA 101: Lesson One

lesson1-historyandbasics4_zps37fcff77.png
The United Nations started off when Maxtopia submitted the first UN resolution Fight the Axis of Evil. Now, I may be an Antiquity nation, but I certainly wasn't around back then. Neither were most players, I'd guess, since the resolution itself only got a grand total of 3 votes and is - I believe - the only resolution to pass (or fail) by only 1 vote.

Back in the "Olden Days," the rule was - you pass it, you live with it. There were no repeals back then ... and believe me, there was plenty of crap being passed on a regular basis. Of the first 25 passed resolutions, only 6 remained "in effect" until all UN resolutions were repealed with the passage of WA#1 - The World Assembly.

As many may know (perhaps more from storytelling than from experiencing it), as the 2008 April Fool's Joke, it was announced that Max had received a Cease & Desist letter from the real United Nations. Haha, very funny, absolutely hilarious joke, etc.

Except ... it wasn't a joke. (NS news posts) The Jolt forums are gone, but Antarctic Oasis (a fairly active UN region at the time) has made their thread on the subject public, for those that would care to peruse that.

After the World Assembly was created in April of 2008, things ran ... fairly smoothly for awhile. The re-creation of the World Assembly was a chance to start from scratch - and to finally be rid of a lot of those early (and awful) UN resolutions. Many of the quality UN resolutions were quickly resubmitted and generally passed successfully.

However ... in May of 2009, the admins came up with a Grand New Idea ... that was not met happily by many of the WA regulars. For starters, the entire concept of the Condemn and Commends (Liberations were not yet a part of what would eventually become the Security Council) contradicted a lot of the already-existing WA ruleset. More details on this controversy can be found here on the NS forums. This is [violet]'s forum announcement on the subject.

Eventually, the Security Council and General Assembly were split out of the World Assembly entity, but - originally - they had to share one proposal queue, as only one proposal would be At Vote at one time. The concept was that the two chambers would "take turns" being at vote. If there wasn't a different chamber's proposal in the queue, the next proposal in line would be At Vote.

This was frustrating to many proposal authors who grew sick of the lengthy proposal queue. In February of 2010 the separate voting "channels" were introduced, which helped a lot of the controversy die down. Of course, a lot of this is more because those who have no interest in the [insert chamber of choice here] could just ignore those votes ... more or less. There have been some calls for an "Abstain" button - to turn off the New Vote notification if the nation in question has no intention of voting on a particular topic, but that has not been added to the game thus far.

I personally believe that the quality of UN/WA/GA resolutions has gradually improved over time. Oh, sure, the are some quality resolutions scattered throughout the older UN archives, but there are also some doozies. (UN#3 - Education for All - has a one-line Description: To give every child under the age of 16 the right to a free education) I know that I can be ... pretty insistent on quality prose when it comes to voting and, as time allows, I like to assist other proposal authors with their text and phrasing. (And I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.)

What do GA Resolutions Do?
There are a number of ways to "play" the WA when it comes to evaluating a proposal or resolution.

Some players are what might be called "Stat-Wankers." They are those who want their stats to do a certain thing for a certain reason. They might be strong believers in education and want their education stats to be really high. Or, they might want to keep whatever WA classification that they've "earned" for their nation. These nations often don't care about the actual text of a resolution and instead look at the category and strength of a given resolution.

Different categories affect different stats. The details have long been hidden, but some impacts are fairly obvious. "Strong" resolutions are going to have a greater impact than a "Mild" resolution - which may be a good or bad thing, depending on who you're talking to. "Education and Creativity: Education" resolutions are - *gasp* - going to affect your nation's education scores. "Political Stability" resolutions are going to decrease your nation's political freedoms. "Repeals" are going to reverse whatever effects the original resolution's passage had on nations. (This is even true if your nation wasn't a WA member when the original resolution passed.)

Other players are "Role Players." They really think about the text - what it means, how it can be interpreted, and how to make it better. They often have "ambassadors" or "representatives" in the GA chambers that speak on resolution topics. They may include actions or "events" within the text of their forum posts that go beyond a mere statement of support/opposition, etc.

The "Role Play" rules within the GA are pretty straightforward - there is "mandatory compliance" with all GA resolutions. After a resolution is passed, gnomes go to each WA member nation and change your national laws to comply with whatever passed. However, there is a long and storied history of "Loophole Exploitation" when it comes to finding ways around resolutions that you may not personally care for.

Some loopholes are left in legislation intentionally. I often do this in my own proposals as I feel that there are some details that can be much better covered by individual member nations than by WA dictate. A common saying in the GA is "One size fits none." If you try to make all WA member nations the same, exactly, you'll often end up with a lower quality proposal that may not even apply to all WA member nations by the time you're through.

Mandatory Compliance
There's been a fair amount of discussion in the GA/Moderation over the past few months about whether or not compliance really is mandatory or not. I don't want to jump into the rules right here, but for those that are WA members, you'll remember that you get a TG notification from the WA, letting you know that your laws have been brought into compliance with XYZ resolution, whenever a new one is passed. (Or notifying you upon a repeal, as your nation is no longer required to comply.)

It's not uncommon for member states to try to loophole resolutions as best they can, to try to avoid complying with resolutions they find particularly distasteful - for whatever reason. It's also something of a game for some for certain nations. (*coughcough*) Kenny's nation even has a Creative Solutions Agency - started during the UN days - which is in charge of determining the best way around less than optimal resolutions.

Anyhow, more recently, there have been a few nations, who have been vocal about how they don't think compliance is mandatory, because IRL, nations are not forced to comply with UN resolutions and the like. This discussion brings back the whole NS =/= RL discussion that I'll go into more detail on in the next lesson. However, it also brings up God-modding, to some extent. I don't know how much you guys engage in RP, and I wasn't really planning to get into God-modding in this lesson. However, a walk-through of WHY/HOW compliance is mandatory can be found here, from the NS moderation forum.

Assignment:​
A lot of these questions - and those for future assignments - won't necessarily have "right" or "wrong" answers. One of my goals for this class is to really make you guys think about the General Assembly and what it all involves. As such, there will be a lot of short-answer questions that are more about the content and information than being "right" or "wrong."
  • How do you think of General Assembly legislation? Are you a "stat-wanker," a "role player," or something I've overlooked? How do you feel that you fit within that "grouping" ?
  • Check out the Historical Resolutions. (NS archive) Pick any proposal (passed, failed, repealed, withdrawn, deleted, etc.) that catches your eye. What made you look more closely at that proposal? What did you like/dislike/etc., about that proposal?
  • Take a look at some of the other GA proposals in the GA forum and leave your comments as to what you think of the proposal for the author to consider. Are there loopholes that you're concerned about? Is the topic something you think is appropriate for the GA to legislate on? I'm not asking or expecting you to be able to handle rule-breaking, but do you have any concerns about the legislation in question? Or, do you support it wholeheartedly? I don't expect you to repost your comments here, but if you want to include a link (or two or more, if you're feeling industrious!) here, so I know you've completed this part of the coursework, that would be fabulous.
Along those same lines, to learning how to think about and review GA legislation, check out some of the proposals that are currently being drafted in the GA or the currently submitted GA proposals.

Specific questions to think about include:
  • Are there loopholes that you're concerned about?
  • Is the topic something you think is appropriate for the GA to legislate on?
  • I'm not asking or expecting you to be able to handle rule-breaking (especially not so early on in your GA education!), but do you have any concerns about the legislation in question?
Authors of GA proposals generally appreciate feedback and suggestions. Of course, they may not agree with your arguments or ideas, but one of the best ways to learn about GA proposals is to interact with other authors during the drafting process. Sometimes you'll get something "wrong" (i.e. regarding rules, precedent, understanding, etc.), but I'm a big believer that everyone learns best by doing. Get involved, ask questions - it's the best way to improve yourself as a future GA author - or even just to become an informed GA voter.

As a general note, we'll probably have in the neighborhood of 2 weeks between this and the next lesson, but I'm willing to try to post weekly thereafter, if that's what you guys would prefer. However, when you "turn in your homework," feel free to comment with whether or not you'd like to see the courses spaced out more, such as every 2 weeks, now that you've gotten a look at the scope of what the first lesson looks like.

And, naturally, questions and clarifications are welcome. I won't be around much for the next two weeks, but I'll try to be more "available" in general, otherwise. I know we've got a few other experienced WA authors around here, and hopefully some of them can chime in if anything comes up while I'm away.

Thanks for your interest, and I can't wait to see your responses!

Mousebumples:
Neither were most players, I'd guess, since the resolution itself only got a grand total of 3 votes
No players were around then. Fight the Axis of Evil passed before the NationStates site actually went live! It was implemented November 12, and the site went live November 13.
Many of the quality UN resolutions were quickly resubmitted and generally passed successfully.
Not really. Only a small number of resolutions were resubmitted more or less verbatim: Rights & Duties, NAPA, Wolfish, ULC, and recently Individual Working Freedoms are the only examples I can think of.
"Repeals" are going to reverse whatever effects the original resolution's passage had on nations.
No, repeals have only half the effect of the original resolution. If a Free Trade resolution passes and raises your economic freedoms, the repeal will reduce your economic freedoms, but not all the way back to the original level. In stat terms, a repeal can't completely reverse the original resolution.

*pokes the crowd of signed up TNPers*

Anyone looking to participate? I was planning to post the next course next week, but if you guys need more time to sift through all of this, I can certainly reassess that ... ?

Would I be correct in thinking that (provided you don't mind losing endorsements) you can simply resign from the WA briefly to avoid a resolution you dislike and safely re-join later? In other words there is no enforcement of the overall effect of ongoing WA legislation when you leave/join...?

More or less. I'm not a stat geek (so it's possible that someone else might be able to provide more details about stat effects), but it's not uncommon for some RP-heavy players to resign from the WA prior to the passage of a piece of legislation that they consider to be "damaging" to their vision of their nation.

Your stats are only impacted by the resolutions (and repeals) that are passed when you are a member of the WA. Your stats aren't immediately impacted by previously resolutions by joining today, and you still get "half-credit" for repealed resolutions, even if you weren't around when the original was passed. (generally, repealing a resolution negates half of the original impact seen when the original was passed.)

Mousebumples:

Anyone looking to participate? I was planning to post the next course next week, but if you guys need more time to sift through all of this, I can certainly reassess that ... ?
Do we PM you the 'coursework'? Or is it fine to just post everything here?

Almonaster:
Would I be correct in thinking that (provided you don't mind losing endorsements) you can simply resign from the WA briefly to avoid a resolution you dislike and safely re-join later? In other words there is no enforcement of the overall effect of ongoing WA legislation when you leave/join...?
There would be no statistical impact on your nation. From an IC perspective, you'd still be required to comply with all active resolutions.

Lord Nwahs:
Mousebumples:

Do we PM you the 'coursework'? Or is it fine to just post everything here?
However you guys would prefer to do it works for me. I think there could be some collective "community benefit" to posting stuff publicly - so you can all discuss things amongst yourselves, if you'd like. Of course, if you'd feel more comfortable PMing your coursework to me, that's fine too. :)

How do you think of General Assembly legislation? Are you a "stat-wanker," a "role player," or something I've overlooked? How do you feel that you fit within that "grouping" ?
I see GA legislation under three lenses:
1. The lens of a stat-wanker, although given the size of my nation this has become less and less important.
2. The lens of a role-player - Olvern is a relatively peaceful democracy, and doesn't like arms in general.
3. The lens of myself - my own personal beliefs or political beliefs (on religion, abortion, marriage, all the touchy stuff) seeps in.

Honestly, I vote as my mood tells me to - but usually bad writing for any proposal on the floor is a turn-off either way, even if I'm in general supportive of the cause that the proposal is fighting for.

Check out the Historical Resolutions. (NS archive) Pick any proposal (passed, failed, repealed, withdrawn, deleted, etc.) that catches your eye. What made you look more closely at that proposal? What did you like/dislike/etc., about that proposal?
Historical Resolution #78: Repeal "Fight the Axis of Evil" caught my eye, mostly for being the first repeal, and the repeal of a pretty bad resolution at that. While the points it makes are valid, it doesn't seem to fit into what a more modern GA repeal would look like, with better prose than listing down "Four Reasons" like how a primary school student might do it.

Take a look at some of the other GA proposals in the GA forum and leave your comments as to what you think of the proposal for the author to consider. Are there loopholes that you're concerned about? Is the topic something you think is appropriate for the GA to legislate on? I'm not asking or expecting you to be able to handle rule-breaking, but do you have any concerns about the legislation in question? Or, do you support it wholeheartedly? I don't expect you to repost your comments here, but if you want to include a link (or two or more, if you're feeling industrious!) here, so I know you've completed this part of the coursework, that would be fabulous.
I must say, the GA forum is a messy place.

Lots of snark on this comment I made here: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=313598&p=21994282#p21994282 .

It doesn't exactly address all the specific questions that you asked us to address, but I kind of think it gives my general take on GA resolutions in general: they should be realistic, direct, and prevents the creation of funky loopholes that just break the general purpose of the legislation in the first place. In my opinion, so long as it meets these requirements, any topic can be reliably legislated on in the GA.

Lord Nwahs, that looks great! And it's possible that this class might adapt your "stance" going forward - or it might leave you even more determined that the way you've been doing things all along is the best way. xD I don't aim to tell people how to think about things, per se, but more give background to the WA/GA and try to give you a better understanding of the World Assembly bodies as a whole.

So far as the "list of things to keep in mind when commenting on proposals" - it was just that ... a list of things to keep in mind. Some of them weren't relevant, so you didn't mention them, but I'd think you were at least considering them as you were reading through the proposal, right? Also, your line-by-line trick is a great one that's quite helpful when it comes to breaking down and analyzing legislation. (Are you peeking ahead in the coursebook? ;)) I'm sure the author of that proposal will appreciate your comments. :D

Almonaster, WA votes begin at the start of either the minor or major update. When a proposal reaches quorum, the earliest it will go to a vote is at the next update period. (Which means that there's time for an opponent of the proposal to try to counter-campaign to have the proposal lose approvals.) Of course, only one proposal can be at vote, at one time, in each body (General Assembly and Security Council), so if something is already at vote, the proposal will just wait for it's turn.

If there are multiple submitted quorate proposals in the queue, they go to vote in the order of submission - not in the order of quorate. (i.e. You submit Proposal-A at 1pm, and I submit Proposal-B at 2pm. Proposal-B might get to quorum an hour before Proposal-A, but if there's already something at vote, so long as Proposal-A has attained quorum before the next At Vote period, Proposal-A will go to vote first.)

Voting ends at the same update (minor or major) that it began at, 4 days later. (i.e. voting starts on Monday's minor update, it will end on Friday's minor update) If there's another proposal with quorum in the queue, it will go to vote immediately thereafter. If a GA proposal passes, your stats will be affected with the subsequent update - probably at the same time that any issues you answered would be addressed, but I'm not a techie, so I won't guarantee that. You'll also get a telegram from the WA Compliance Commission for any proposals that pass in either chamber.

EDIT: As an FYI, I'm planning to post Lesson Two tomorrow. Individuals are certainly welcome to continue to post "homework" after Lesson Two is up, but just wanted to let you guys know when to expect the next part of this course.

Assignment 1
How do you think of General Assembly legislation? Are you a "stat-wanker," a "role player," or something I've overlooked? How do you feel that you fit within that "grouping" ?
100% a roleplayer.

Furthermore, I base my decision on the resolution text. Not on who submitted it, not on which region they come from, not on what they've submitted or said in the past, not on whether or not they've posted a forum thread or posted to a particular region.

This is not a very common philosophy so I thought it was worth mentioning.
Check out the Historical Resolutions. (NS archive) Pick any proposal (passed, failed, repealed, withdrawn, deleted, etc.) that catches your eye. What made you look more closely at that proposal? What did you like/dislike/etc., about that proposal?
Reformed Literacy Initiative. This was one of the first national sovereignty resolutions, and I really like the flexibility it offers nations, especially through that ingenious final clause, in dealing something that would otherwise run the risk of being seen as domestic meddling.

Proposal comments:
Are there loopholes that you're concerned about?
This doesn't seem to cover corporate/industrial patents.
Is the topic something you think is appropriate for the GA to legislate on?
While the proposal itself is probably unworkable there are certain ideas that would be more suitable for WA legislation.
I'm not asking or expecting you to be able to handle rule-breaking, but do you have any concerns about the legislation in question?
It doesn't seem likely that the militaristic, techwankish modern WA would pass this as written.
Or, do you support it wholeheartedly?
Minor concerns aside I continue to strongly support this.

I would say I'm more of a stat-wanker than a role player but am actually a third breed; I pretty much don't think. I just look at what that majority's doing, especially my own delegate, and sheep them. I don't see the point in voting the obvious minority. If it's close I'll stall voting until the last day and just sheep my region's delegate at that point if I can't really decide. I care little about it since I have no power to influence where the vote's going and I tend to reserve deep thought for things that actually matter to me and to which my conclusion can affect the outcome.

HISTORICAL RESOLUTION #4
UN taxation ban

I noticed this was the first non-repealed Historical Resolution and it states that "the UN shall not be allowed to collect taxes directly from the citizens of any member state for any purpose." I think this is stupid because then any resolution requiring money is going to have to magically come out of nowhere... the only other alternative I see is that citizens of the more socialist nations get heavily burdened with any resolution requiring funding while the citizens of the more capitalist ones get away with murder as they use this resolution to tax evade. This is stupid and was never repealed.

Take a look at some of the other GA proposals in the GA forum and leave your comments as to what you think of the proposal for the author to consider. Are there loopholes that you're concerned about? Is the topic something you think is appropriate for the GA to legislate on? I'm not asking or expecting you to be able to handle rule-breaking, but do you have any concerns about the legislation in question? Or, do you support it wholeheartedly? I don't expect you to repost your comments here, but if you want to include a link (or two or more, if you're feeling industrious!) here, so I know you've completed this part of the coursework, that would be fabulous.

The first I will address is [Draft] No Penalty Without Law

This is a really pointless, dare I say stupid, resolution that basically states the common sense rule that if something isn't illegal then someone doing that thing shouldn't ever be punished. It saves no one as there's literally no one who has ever been legally punished for something that wasn't law and I see absolutely not necessity or realistic goal for it.

The second I will address is [DRAFT] Convention Against Violence

This one is even dumber because it completely refutes itself in clause 5. Clause 5 basically states that the use of violence in pretty much all situations other than aggravated assault and illicit warfare (meaning no WA clause has permitted it) should actually be allowed. In other words, the entire rest of the resolution which seems to be totally against forms of violence in all shapes and forms then allows child abuse and martial arts via clause 5. The only thing this resolution intended to stop, it seems, is war and abortion. That's a really unobvious thing from the title and also war and abortion are two of the most necessary forms of violence I would say whereas beating your child and martial arts are not. This is actually stopping the good forms of violence and allowing the pointless, unnecessary ones.

I look at General Assembly legislation in mostly one way. I read the whole legislation, then I decide whether my nation can benefit from it or not(based on my values).

The "Gay Rights" resolution caught my attention because I wanted to find a resolution that could be related to a real life situation. I disliked that the resolution was extremely short and didn't tell you much about what the resolution would have done.

My Post
In my opinion, there is no loopholes in the proposal. The proposal is appropriate for GA to legislate on. I do not support the proposal, as my nation will not benefit from it.

Thunderboy:
I look at General Assembly legislation in mostly one way. I read the whole legislation, then I decide whether my nation can benefit from it or not(based on my values).

The "Gay Rights" resolution caught my attention because I wanted to find a resolution that could be related to a real life situation. I disliked that the resolution was extremely short and didn't tell you much about what the resolution would have done.

My Post
In my opinion, there is no loopholes in the proposal. The proposal is appropriate for GA to legislate on. I do not support the proposal, as my nation will not benefit from it.
Great start! I hope you find this lesson series helpful, as you progress through them. :)

I am a role-player, and I enjoy that grouping. The game as a standard internet game is much less interesting than the roleplaying aspect to me.
I picked Internet Neutrality Act, which interested me because if its close ties with US current events. I thought it came off too much like commentary, and not enough like what a good law would look like, despite the fact that I agree with the position.
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=32129186#p32129186
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=32127912#p32127912

Back