First Meeting of the Democratic Union

Malvad

TNPer
I call the first meeting of the Ambassadors of the Democratic Union to order. We have much to discuss this first meeting. I will have a draft constitution ready by tomorrow. The goal is to review, edit, and ratify it. We will also appoint a Deputy Chairman to serve the remainder of the first term. Members can then bring other issues to the table. The meeting shall last until Tuesday September 9th.

The Auroranian Delegation looks forward to the first meeting. It hopes that it will provide very fruitful and productive discussions

I have one concern thus far. I can foresee the scenario where we elect a Deputy Chairman who we believe will do a good job but instead they do somewhat poorly. At the end of their term as Deputy Chairman, someone we know is incompetent, for example, will promptly rise to the position of Chairman, the highest leadership capacity in the entire DU. Should we add a safeguard or something in-between the two phases that allows us to potentially block the auto-promotion if the situation demands it?

It seems good however I would suggest afew changes and I do have afew questions.

Observer status can be upgraded to full membership at any time with the approval of the Chairman and Deputy Chairman.

Observer status shall be upgraded to full membership, by either Chairman or Deputy Chairman, when the correct requirements for full membership are met .

The legislature will be responsible for writing laws and preparing new treaties and proposals. The legislature of the Democratic Union will consist of two houses

Treaties? could you please explain

The executive shall consist of the Chairman and the Deputy Chairman of the Democratic Union. They will be chosen by the Democratic Council from the ambassadors of the member states and then confirmed by the Democratic Parliament. The Chairman and Deputy Chairman will serve four month terms.

Shall the Chairman be able to appoint several officers to help in the administration and leadership of the Union

Three courts will be created to serve the Democratic Union. The Constitutional Court shall interpret and analyze the laws of the Union and rule on their constitutionality. The International Court will settle disputes between member states. The Court of Humanity will rule on major international crimes, war crimes, and crimes against humanity. Each court will consist of three justices who hold no bias towards the case. They will be selected by a Justice Committee consisting of members from each member state.

There are not too many of use here. I think we should merge all the Courts as one court or more could fall inactive

Observer status shall be upgraded to full membership, by either Chairman or Deputy Chairman, when the correct requirements for full membership are met .
I meant Observer Status to be a different option for those who did not want to be fully involved.
Treaties? could you please explain
Governing treaties like the European Union's Treaty of Rome or the Treaty of Lisbon. Or pacts and conventions such as the UN's Convention on Chemical Weapons.
Shall the Chairman be able to appoint several officers to help in the administration and leadership of the Union
If they so choose to.
There are not too many of use here. I think we should merge all the Courts as one court or more could fall inactive
A lot of the constitution is meant to be for roleplay. The courts would be mostly for this as would the legislature and other parts.

The Great Dictator:
I’m sorry, but I don’t want to be an emperor. That’s not my business. I don’t want to rule or conquer anyone. I should like to help everyone - if possible - Jew, Gentile - black man - white. We all want to help one another. Human beings are like that. We want to live by each other’s happiness - not by each other’s misery. We don’t want to hate and despise one another. In this world there is room for everyone. And the good earth is rich and can provide for everyone. The way of life can be free and beautiful, but we have lost the way.

Greed has poisoned men’s souls, has barricaded the world with hate, has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed. We have developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in. Machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made us cynical. Our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity. More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost....

The aeroplane and the radio have brought us closer together. The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness in men - cries out for universal brotherhood - for the unity of us all. Even now my voice is reaching millions throughout the world - millions of despairing men, women, and little children - victims of a system that makes men torture and imprison innocent people.

To those who can hear me, I say - do not despair. The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed - the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish. .....

Soldiers! don’t give yourselves to brutes - men who despise you - enslave you - who regiment your lives - tell you what to do - what to think and what to feel! Who drill you - diet you - treat you like cattle, use you as cannon fodder. Don’t give yourselves to these unnatural men - machine men with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of humanity in your hearts! You don’t hate! Only the unloved hate - the unloved and the unnatural! Soldiers! Don’t fight for slavery! Fight for liberty!

In the 17th Chapter of St Luke it is written: “the Kingdom of God is within man” - not one man nor a group of men, but in all men! In you! You, the people have the power - the power to create machines. The power to create happiness! You, the people, have the power to make this life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure.

Then - in the name of democracy - let us use that power - let us all unite. Let us fight for a new world - a decent world that will give men a chance to work - that will give youth a future and old age a security. By the promise of these things, brutes have risen to power. But they lie! They do not fulfill that promise. They never will!

Dictators free themselves but they enslave the people! Now let us fight to fulfill that promise! Let us fight to free the world - to do away with national barriers - to do away with greed, with hate and intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where science and progress will lead to all men’s happiness. Soldiers! in the name of democracy, let us all unite!

The nation of Egalotir has pledged to fight for the democracy of this great Earth. We will aid any nation in achieving democratic status. We shall aid any rebels, revolutionaries, or freedom fighters if their cause is just. We ensure equal rights and freedoms for not just our citizens, but for all people in our nation. I urge the members of the Democratic Union to take this pledge with Egalotir!

Long Live Democracy!

Mattheus Badaloni,
Egalotirian Ambassador to the DU

The Hapriss Delegate, Kire Astoc, see no discordance nor have any questions abut the draft Constition and is ready to sign it.

I think it's safe to say there is a consensus regarding the constitution. We should move on to a new topic.

page-divider.gif
As the delegate from Dalies, I think we should pursue a more globalized trade initiative. Currently, the North Pacific's economy is not ideal, as nations are looking for their own economic stability and building up on their gold bullion. I believe that we should establish some sort of program to kick start the economy so that programs in the nations within the Democratic Union can flourish. These programs like welfare, education, and medicare are important sectors of a nation's democratic standings. Without these, we may as well be the Anarchist Union.

Another thing I must point out is that the DU is a full body, but there are little to none specific committees. I suggest that we form small, specific groups to discuss issues pertaining to their duty. Lets say there is a Security Committee, an Economic Committee, an Environmental Committee and so forth. The issues can be introduced to the full DU first, then categorized and sent to the committee where it is decided. That committee can discuss it and when they have a solution, they bring it up to the whole DU again. The DU decides whether or not the solution is the best one, and it is either sent to be done or it is sent to the committee again for them to create a new solution. The process continues until it is accepted by the DU or until the Chairman scraps the project with a simple majority from the DU.

I believe both of these points need to be addressed in order for the DU to succeed.
-Alek Silverson
Representative of Dalies
page-divider.gif

As the constitution has been accepted by general consensus, I ask that all representatives sign to it.
The Chair recognizes the Representative from Dalies' plan for economic stability. Smaller committees would also help keep efficiency and divide power. We can sort out those details as we go.
I would also like to appoint the Representative from the Principality of Legington as Deputy Chairman if they are willing and there are no objections.

The Representative of the Principality of Legington is willing to except the position of Deputy Chairman. I will start by researching different economic techniques and come up with a basic list of different DU sections. They will be emailed to the Chairman in a week for review.

Back