Request for review: Action by The Speaker of The Regional Assembly.

Romanoffia

Garde à l'eau!
Request for review:

Can the Speaker of the RA refuse to schedule for a vote and/or refuse to permit formal debate on a proposed piece of legislation under the Laws and RA Rules?

Also, can the Speaker of the RA deny the standard process and make up the rules as he goes along? And if so, where in the Legal Code or RA Rules is this permitted?

Also, would in not be technically unconstitutional in terms of violating due process and free speech to take actions that thwart the democratic process detailed in the Constitution?

Standing: Member of the RA, Author of said Bill.

This request is accepted. As established in the Adopted Court Rules, the timeline for accepting briefs begins immediately and will last for a period of five days.

The Court notes that while this is technically a hypothetical situation, it is one which has occurred in the past and likely will do so again soon. Therefore, a simple acceptance causes less bureaucratic hassle than rejecting the request on those grounds only for the petitioner to successfully refile shortly thereafter.

SillyString:
This request is accepted. As established in the Adopted Court Rules, the timeline for accepting briefs begins immediately and will last for a period of five days.

The Court notes that while this is technically a hypothetical situation, it is one which has occurred in the past and likely will do so again soon. Therefore, a simple acceptance causes less bureaucratic hassle than rejecting the request on those grounds only for the petitioner to successfully refile shortly thereafter.
This is actually not hypothetical at all. It is actually happening at this time.

To Wit: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/single/?p=8154811&t=7221503.

There is also another Bill presented before the RA which was simply closed and archived by the current Speaker simply upon the determination of the Speaker that said Bill was 'unconstitutional'.

Zyvetskistaahn:

I feel it necessary to note that firstly, no authority may suspend the Constitution or Legal Code, by virtue of clause 11 of the Bill of Rights, and that I do not believe that discussion of this proposal can be in the best interests of the region, therefore, I shall be locking this thread and debate on the proposal shall not continue.

If members are dissatisfied with this exercise of the Speaker's discretion, or believe it to be contrary to some freedom afforded to them by the Bill of Rights or another document, I refer them to the Court Ruling on the Speaker's Powers and invite them to consider the option of a recall.

(Source: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/single/?p=8144791&t=7202987)

Now, correct me if I am wrong, the constitutionality of a law is determined by the Court and not the Speaker of the RA in a pre-emptive fashion with the intend of preventing a given bill from even coming before the RA for discussion or vote no matter how ridiculous a piece of legislation is or is not.

Traditionally, in TNP, a law is passed and then by actions of suitors to the Court, with standing, challenge a given law. In this specific incident, ridiculous as it is, shows that the current Speaker of the RA has shown contempt for the Constitutional process involving legislation and determination of constitutionality by taking an action that is reserved only for the Court (i.e.: determination of constitutionality).

[Addendum on edit]

Hence, the Speaker of the RA has taken it upon himself to usurp the authority of the Court in making a Constitutional Determination rather than allowing a bill to actually go to a vote.

The RA rules and Constitution clearly state the procedure involving the legislative procedure. Nowhere is the Speaker of the RA given the authority (As such authority would clearly be unconstitutional on any number of grounds) to make a determination as to the legitimacy of any legislation or the constitutionality of proposed legislation by quelching or otherwise silencing proposed legislation in any arbitrary or capricious fashion.

In either and both instances, altering the regular procedure in the RA has the effect of thwarting the ability of the Regional Assembly to debate proposed legislation or vote on such legislation and/or puts the Speaker of the RA in violation of the principle of Separation of Powers by permitting the Speaker to preempt legislation by making a Constitutional determination, thus usurping the authority of the Judicial Branch in the process.

In this second instance, if such a precedent and practice is allowed to stand, it would allow the Speaker of the RA to absolutely control what legislation is permitted and what is not permitted in absolute terms of action and thus deny the Regional Assembly and the People of The North Pacific the expression of their will one way or another. It also allows the Speaker of the Regional Assembly to assume the mantle of a Court Justice before the fact by suppressing legislation at will and in a most unauthorised and unconstitutional fashion.

If the Court would allow it, I would have this taken as a submission of a brief.

I feel it necessary to note that the Court has already ruled on the matter of the Speaker concluding debate on a bill by locking the thread, that ruling is linked to in the post I made before locking the thread in question (though it would seem questionable as to whether the petitioner has actually read it), it is clear that the Speaker enjoys the authority to do so and that the correct method for redress is recall, not to demand that the Court overturns its ruling because the petitioner dislikes it.

Further, I would note that the law and the Rules are not prescriptive at all regarding legislative procedure, legislative procedure is, due to its not being detailed in any authoritative document, almost entirely within the Speaker's discretion (excluding the motion for an immediate vote and specific matters where the legal code requires that a vote be expedited or immediate). The "regular procedure", and I am sure this will horrify the petitioner, is the regular because it is the procedure that the Speaker prefers not because it is mandated to be, and there are, as a result of that, numerous exceptions to it (treaties use the "legislative procedure", with formal debate and remain under the control of the Government, rather than being able to be moved and seconded at will, despite falling within the realms of motions that use the "non-legislative procedure", as they do not enact, amend or repeal a law; omnibus bills are usually granted exception from the standing procedure provision that their sponsor must have notified the Speaker in advance; extensions are granted to formal debate at sponsors' requests, despite no provision for such existing in the standing procedure; there are other examples, but I feel these have been too log already.)

Now to address the questions put earlier.

Can the Speaker of the RA refuse to schedule for a vote and/or refuse to permit formal debate on a proposed piece of legislation under the Laws and RA Rules?

I would submit that, broadly speaking, the answer is yes as the Rules state that the Speaker "may" schedule a vote, not that he must, leaving it within his discretion. The exception to this would be in the case of a successful motion for an immediate vote, which is contained within the Rules, for in the event of such the Speaker "must schedule a vote [...] to begin as soon as permitted by law", which would usually be immediately, though if it is an enactment, amendment or repeal it may be delayed slightly if a number of other such enactments, amendments or repeals are at vote.

On the matter of formal debate, the Court will not find anything helpful in either the law or the Rules relating to it, as it is part of the "legislative procedure" created by the Speaker, and I would suggest that it would be very odd for the Court to compel something that is entirely within the Speaker's discretion.

(I should note, I have confined this to addressing votes on pieces of legislation, but the law does contain cases, as mentioned afore, where certain motions must be voted on immediately or with expedited debate.)

Also, can the Speaker of the RA deny the standard process and make up the rules as he goes along? And if so, where in the Legal Code or RA Rules is this permitted?

In this case, I would note again that the "standard process" is essentially a construct of the Speaker's Office, and that variation of it is necessary for the legislative process to be reasonably effective. As to where in the law or the Rules this is permitted, it is in the Constitution, Article 2, clause 6, which affords the Speaker discretion where the Rules and law are silent, and they are silent on the matter of the "standard process" for Assembly business, this is supported by the Court's prior ruling on the Speaker's powers (that being the ruling on request of Blue Wolf which bears the most similarity to the present situation).

Also, would in not be technically unconstitutional in terms of violating due process and free speech to take actions that thwart the democratic process detailed in the Constitution?

I would address this in respect to free speech first, the Speaker's action (or, rather, the lack thereof) does not prevent the discussion of the bill in question, so submission that the Speaker has violated the freedom of Assembly members to discuss the bill is somewhat nonsensical, to myself at least.

In respect of due process, the Speaker has not taken any action to deny the only lawful mechanism to compel him to bring the bill to vote, a motion for an immediate vote, and, indeed, has reminded members of said mechanism, nor has he prevented what the Court, in its previous ruling, stated was the most apt mechanism for redress of grievances relating to exercise of discretion: recall. The Speaker has, therefore, not violated the right of Assembly members to due process, the failure of members to make use of processes open to them for redress is not the responsibility of the Speaker, but of themselves.

Thank you, your honours.

EDIT: to correct slight misquote.
EDIT2: if the Court would allow it, I would have this taken as a submission of a brief.
EDIT3: to add the above to the top of the post, but in bolder and larger text.

May it please the Court, that nowhere in the legal code, Constitution or RA rules does it even remotely state, even with the wildest of tortuous logic and distorted reasoning, that the Speaker may quelch any legislation in order to prevent it from being debated or brought to a vote.

Again, the Speaker has acted twice in a manner that is clearly dictatorial, arbitrary and capricious.

Under the Speaker's logic as posted above, the Speaker may simply shut down all legislation or specific legislation simply to silence any political opposition in the RA or simply to degrade the entire Constitutional Process into a mockery.

What the Speaker is suggesting is that all legislation must meet with the Speaker's personal tastes and motivations and that the Speaker is entitled to stomp on any legislation that does not meet such a amorphous, arbitrary and capricious test of said personal taste.

Now, in playing with the hypothetical, I'm 100% certain that if I were Speaker and I simply shut down a thread containing legislation or otherwise made up the rules as I went along, and using the current Speaker's logic and reasoning, I would be recalled and probably charged with dereliction of duty so fast it would make everyone's head swim.

If you are going to have rules, play by the rules you claim to adhere to. I do so hate it when I have to apply Socratic methods to an argument.

Crushing Our Enemies:
Just gonna lay this down here for Roman's benefit: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/pages/laws/#.idx_15
Meaningless.

You are bringing in the irrelevant point of voter qualification into a debate on Constitutional Violations involving thwarting of established procedures.

Nice try, but your reference defies logic and reason.

Point being, you define certain rules, then make tortuous actions to violate the rules, and then claim you are actually following the rules. Doesn't work logically.

And, point being, you make the rules and you must follow the rules as written, not make up the rules as you go along. That would be accepting what you claim I did to justify what you did. And you would get recalled.

I submit the following brief for consideration:

men-s-trunk-underwear-250x250.jpg

Although 'tightie whities' may be funny, could we apply some mod/admin standards here? This is a serious thread. Or better yet, could the CJ show some cojones (yes, I know ;) ) and keep this on topic? Not my place to say that, but no one else will methinks.

Romanoffia:
Crushing Our Enemies:
Just gonna lay this down here for Roman's benefit: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/pages/laws/#.idx_15
Meaningless.

You are bringing in the irrelevant point of voter qualification into a debate on Constitutional Violations involving thwarting of established procedures.

Nice try, but your reference defies logic and reason.
Sorry, it seems links to court rulings are a bit wonky. Here's a link to the post I was going for: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/single/?p=8084116&t=7015148

falapatorius:
could the CJ show some cojones (yes, I know ;) )
I'm sorry, I don't speak Spanish. Can you please explain what you mean, and the meaning behind the winking face?

To all participants, I would request that posts filed with the intention of being taken into consideration by the court explicitly establish themselves as briefs.

Only one brief will be accepted per individual.

Brief Submission:

The speaker is granted broad discretionary powers by the Constitution of The North Pacific. Specifically by Article 2.6, which states:
The Speaker will administer the rules of the Regional Assembly. Where no rules exist, the Speaker may use their discretion.

So in answering the questions of the original request, the only real determining factor is if there are any rules or laws which specifically contradict the actions of the speaker in this case.

The answer to that is no, as evidenced by this previous court ruling here: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/single/?p=8084116&t=7015148 .

Specifically, the RA procedure contains no details on the administration of votes outside of when the Speaker must cancel them (and none of those reasons contradict an action to cancel a vote). Since nothing in the procedures or laws specifically requires a vote to be held for normal bills, "where no rules exist, the Speaker may use their discretion."

There are four questions that must be answered by the court here.

First:

Yes. There are no rules requiring it, so the speaker may do whatever the heck he wants with a bill or debate.

Second:

Yes. This was done here: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6995989/2/ and confirmed as legal here: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/single/?p=8084116&t=7015148 . Precedent backs up the Speaker's actions here.

Third:

The standard process is not codified (beyond a few exceptions related to stopping bills from reaching the floor). Since there are no rules, the Speaker can do literally whatever he wants.

Fourth:

What does a technical violation of the constitution look like? This is up for debate. Whether a given thread is part of the democratic process or junk is entirely subjective. I'd say outside of any explicit violations, you're asking a hypothetical that's impossible to answer.

Brief (as in short) submission:

Critically missing from Roman's analysis is the fact that the Speaker has and the court affirmed previously discretionary powers within the Office of the Speaker. "best interests of the region" was cited by Zyvet, I'm assuming that was intentional given the prior ruling, and it would appear per that ruling to give the speaker the authority to do what he did.

I think if the court rules against Zyvet it would need to overturn the previous ruling, which while very broad, would require the present court to narrow the discretionary authority of the Speaker even further. And in that case, I wonder if the Court would be legislating by ruling.

Brief:

It seems clear that the Speaker does have discretionary powers regarding RA rules. But looking at the post that prompted this review request:

Zyvet:
I shall note in advance of a motion to vote that I will not be scheduling a vote on this bill nor will I allow it to enter into formal debate, members who wish to see the bill progress may, of course, use the motion for an immediate vote which would require the support of eight members, including the bill's sponsor.
There is no mention of how the bill is not in the best interests of the region, or if it violates any TNP Law. One could speculate on the Speaker's intentions (which would vary depending on your viewpoint). My question to the Court is: How wide ranging are the Speaker's discretionary powers? Discretion could mean anything goes. Perhaps it is beyond the Court's purview to definitively answer this and recall is the only viable option to remedy what one may perceive as an abuse of office.

*as an aside* The issue of discretionary powers (and making rules where none exist) arose in TNP v JAL. This is a grey area that will continue to cause headaches.

mcmasterdonia:
I submit the following brief for consideration:

men-s-trunk-underwear-250x250.jpg
^ :lol:

You copycat, you. I already submitted such briefs in other reviews. :fish:

Good thing we submit briefs instead of knickers because then I would have to say to someone:

vkkd5.jpg

OOC: Now that's the type of humour I like to see on this forum.

I submit the following brief to the court.

I'm going to answer these questions a bit out of order, starting with the second one.
Romanoffia:
can the Speaker of the RA deny the standard process and make up the rules as he goes along? And if so, where in the Legal Code or RA Rules is this permitted?
My views in this matter are informed by my authorship of the Speaker's standing procedures as we know them. The Standing Procedures are a set of regulations, subordinate to the RA Rules, Legal Code, Constitution, and Bill of Rights. They are created and maintained by the Speaker's Office. They are legitimized by the Constitution in Article 2 Clause 6, which reads:
6. The Speaker will administer the rules of the Regional Assembly. Where no rules exist, the Speaker may use their discretion.
In other words, the standing procedures are the vehicle by which the Speaker's Office identifies areas that the RA rules have not covered, and communicates to the Assembly how those areas will generally be handled by their office. These procedures are not strictly necessary. If the Speaker wished, they could throw the procedures out entirely and handle every matter on a case by case basis. That would not be as efficient or transparent as the current system, but it is allowed under the constitution - in fact, it would be more in line with the exact wording of that clause.

Because the procedures are simply a way for the Speaker to exercise their discretion in a standardized way, it would be nonsensical to suppose that the Speaker is not allowed to make exceptions to them. Indeed, the procedures merely outline the default process, in accordance with the laws of the region. The Speaker is not bound to follow them in any way whatsoever, as long as their actions do not break any laws.

So the question of whether the Speaker's actions have gone against the procedures is irrelevant. The only way that their actions could be illegal is if they've broken some law.

Romanoffia:
As a contributor to the current text of the RA Rules, I can say with 100% confidence that the intent of the second clause of the Rules is to allow the Speaker to refuse to schedule a vote on a proposal. Here is the clause I am referring to:
2. The Speaker may schedule a vote on any proposal being discussed by the Regional Assembly as permitted by law.
The key word here is "may." That is, the Speaker is allowed to schedule votes, but they are not forced to. There is a mechanism in place to prevent the abuse of this clause:
4. If at least one-tenth of the members of the Regional Assembly, including the member that introduced the proposal to the Regional Assembly, motion that a vote should be held on a proposal before the Regional Assembly, then the Speaker must schedule a vote on that proposal to begin as soon as permitted by law.
This clause means that if the Speaker has decided not to schedule a vote, then the RA may overrule that decision by a motion for an immediate vote, joined by 1/10 of the membership. So yes, the Speaker may refuse to schedule a vote under the RA rules. There is no provision of the Legal Code, Constitution, or Bill of Rights to limit the Speaker's ability in this matter.

As for whether the Speaker may refuse to permit Formal Debate? Formal Debate is an invention of the Speaker's Office, and is only mentioned in the standing procedures, which I have already established is subject to exceptions made by the Speaker at any time. So yes, they can do that too.
Romanoffia:
Due process has nothing to do with the legislative procedures of the RA, or anything the Speaker has done. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Due_process

Neither is free speech at issue. There are plenty of perfectly fine ways to express one's opinion on something besides formally debating and/or voting on a bill. Preventing a bill from going to vote, or from entering formal debate does nothing to limit free speech.

Nor does it thwart the democratic process. It takes a majority of the RA to pass a bill, and it only takes 10% to move a bill to an immediate vote. In other words, if there is even the barest chance that it will pass, then the Speaker's decision not to allow it to go to vote is a non-issue.

court-seal.png

Ruling of the Court of the North Pacific
In regards to the Judicial Inquiry filed by Romanoffia on Voting Procedure

Opinion drafted by SillyString, joined by Blue Wolf II and Kiwi

The Court took into consideration the inquiry filed here by Romanoffia.

The Court took into consideration the briefs filed by Zyvetskistaahn, Treize_Dreizehn, punk d, falapatorius, and Crushing Our Enemies.

The Court took into consideration Article 2, Clause 6 of the Constitution of The North Pacific:
Constitution:
6. The Speaker will administer the rules of the Regional Assembly. Where no rules exist, the Speaker may use their discretion.
The Court took into consideration Article 7, Clause 11 of the Constitution of The North Pacific:
Constitution:
11. Government bodies may create rules for their own governance subordinate to this constitution and the laws.
The Court took into consideration Section 1 of the Rules of the Regional Assembly of The North Pacific:
Rules of the Regional Assembly:
Section 1. Proposals
1. Any member of the Regional Assembly may bring a proposal for discussion before the Regional Assembly.
2. The Speaker may schedule a vote on any proposal being discussed by the Regional Assembly as permitted by law.
3. If, before a vote on a proposal begins, at least three members of the Regional Assembly object to the decision of the Speaker to schedule it, the Speaker must cancel the scheduled vote.
4. If at least one-tenth of the members of the Regional Assembly, including the member that introduced the proposal to the Regional Assembly, motion that a vote should be held on a proposal before the Regional Assembly, then the Speaker must schedule a vote on that proposal to begin as soon as permitted by law.
The Court took into consideration the Legislative Proposal Procedure section of the Standing Procedures of the Speaker of The North Pacific:
Standing Procedures of the Speaker:
Legislative Proposal Procedure
1. Any member may introduce a proposal to enact, amend or repeal laws by creating a thread in the Regional Assembly forum or Private Halls subforums.
2. The associated text of the proposal will be contained in a single quote tag. The member who introduced the proposal may alter this text at their discretion.
3. The member who introduced the proposal may call for a vote by posting "motion to vote", or a functional equivalent in the thread.
4. During the five days after a vote a called for, the member who introduced the proposal may continue to amend it. This period, hereafter referred to as Formal Debate, may be shortened at the member who introduced the proposal's request. Once Formal Debate has ended, the proposal may no longer be amended, and the Speaker will schedule a vote to begin no fewer than two days hence.
5. No proposal may be introduced that includes changes to more than one document, except by special permission of the Speaker.
The Court took into consideration its ruling on the Speaker's authority to determine the content of votes:
The Speaker by making these policies was within their powers as laid out by the Constitution and not in violation of the Bill of Rights. The Court looked extensively at the Section 10 of the Bill of Rights and determined that the rules that were adopted still allowed the protection of each nations right to vote. We are aware the Speaker discounted votes that were not in line with the adopted polices but again the voters that lodged an invalid vote were still given the right to vote in the matter. It is our belief that once these rules were adopted they were enforced evenly and fairly.
The Court took into consideration its ruling on the Speaker's authority to unilaterally end debate:
With that decided, the Court would take this opportunity to comment more broadly on the powers of the Speaker. Under the aforementioned Constitutional clause, the Speaker is granted broad discretion, where no rules exist, to administer the Regional Assembly as he or she sees fit. Under the Bill of Rights segment also mentioned previously, the Court believes that all government officials are obligated by law to act in good faith in discharging their duties. The Court believes that the Speaker does possess the right to unilaterally table proposals, if their continued debate is not reasonably in the best interests of the region. The Constitution grants this discretion, and the Bill of Rights in effect obligates the Speaker to exercise said discretion if he or she feels it is appropriate. If the Nations of The North Pacific disagree, the procedure for Recall is quite clear, and as has been demonstrated over the past few months, is quite accessible. Legal review of the Speaker's discretionary decisions is not, generally speaking, necessary.
The Court opines the following:

The Constitution establishes that the Regional Assembly has the authority to create the rules for its governance, and that it is the duty of the Speaker to administer those rules. Where there is vagueness as to procedure, or when situations arise which are not covered by those rules, or by superseding ones within the Constitution, Legal Code, or Bill of Rights, the Speaker is empowered to act as they see fit within the best interests of the region. Previous Courts have interpreted this power broadly, upholding the Speaker's broad authority to maintain an appropriate atmosphere, promote a productive use of the Regional Assembly, and block proposals and votes which they deem harmful. While the relevant law has changed since the previous decision, prompting us to take this case, upon investigation the underlying principles have not.

We uphold the previous rulings in full, and reiterate that disagreements over best interests can be solved via recall motions. The Court is not the appropriate body to resolve such disputes.

As in the review of a Speaker's decision to end debate, we find the Speaker's power broad, but not unlimited. While the Speaker may refuse to tolerate something harmful, it is not a legitimate use of their power to capriciously stifle any and all debate. Two things therefore matter in this instance: the content of the proposal in question, and the severity of the Speaker's crackdown.

The proposal previously reviewed, which attempted to ban an individual legislatively, was determined to be controversial, to have prompted "not-insignificant" responses from the moderation team including multiple warnings (a status which we shall term "flammability"), to lack merit, to lack viability, and to lack legality. This is not a precedential, exhaustive list of instances where a Speaker is well within their rights to block a debate or vote, and the Speaker's Office is not obliged to use or refer to it for any future issue. There are, however, a number of similarities between that case and this one which help clarify our decision.

• Controversy: The Religious Exclusion Act is one in a series of legislation which have provoked a great deal of uproar about the relationship between religion and government in TNP. Like Chasmanthe's bill, this one was not introduced innocent of any knowledge of the controversy that would accompany it, but rather in full awareness and with the intent to provoke it further. It is, therefore, highly controversial.
  • Flammability: A number of warnings have been handed out for escalating or outrageous behavior during the tangled course of these debates, including one to the author of this bill in a previous thread and one to another participant in the debate on this specific bill. It is, therefore, highly flammable.
  • Merit: The subtitle of this post is "For the sake of silliness and fun", and the author of this bill describes it as "hysterically entertaining", "meaningless", and "unenforceable". Other posters within the thread regard it similarly. The Court is happy to agree with everyone that this proposal lacks merit.
  • Viability: The majority of posters within the thread in question are opposed to the proposal, and several commented on their annoyance. It seems safe to conclude that this proposal has no viability, and would not have attained a majority at vote.
  • Legality: Many of the clauses of this bill are direct violations of the bill of rights, but they are contradicted by a clause which states, essentially, that if made law this bill would not have the force of law. This is unestablished in precedent, and it is not clear that it can legally be done or how it interacts with any sworn oath to obey the law. The legality of this proposal is therefore, at best, questionable.
Based on these five criteria, the Court determines that this proposal is easily one which falls within the reasonable right of the Speaker to shut down.

As for the severity of the Speaker's response and whether any rights have been violated, the Speaker opted not to stop the debate but simply to block the proposal from going to vote. The Court therefore examined the existing voting rules. As established through testimony, current RA procedure is divided into two parts, and the two parts hold different legal weight. That portion of it which is contained within the Rules of the Regional Assembly was established by a majority vote as allowed for under Article 7, Clause 11 of the Constitution, and the Speaker is obligated to apply it as written. However, that which is contained within the Speaker's Standing Policies is entirely discretionary, and the Speaker has the power to alter its application when such is deemed necessary.

Formal debate, the rules surrounding it, and the decision to move a proposal through that stage and into a vote, fall entirely within the Speaker's discretionary procedures. They would be equally as free to put bills to vote based on the flip of a coin or a well-written original sonnet asking them to do so. While there is a written procedure, it is provided as a courtesy to RA members so they know what to expect most of the time - it is not intended or presented as a promise. The Speaker is free to deviate from their written procedures as they wish.

There exists within the Rules of the Regional Assembly a means for RA members to overrule the Speaker's discretionary policies and insist that a piece of legislation go to vote. Because the RA has the power to send something to vote even over the Speaker's objections, the use of this discretionary power does not constitute a violation of a nation's right to speech or right to vote. Procedural options are available - when the Speaker chooses to refuse any discretionary vote, they can be accused of nothing more severe than obstructionism.

Taken together, the Court concludes as follows:

1. The Speaker's option to refuse a discretionary vote is entirely legal and can be used at any time. The Speaker may deviate from the Standing Procedures at any point, provided that the deviation is not a violation of any other law or policy and does not infringe on any rights.

2. If, at any point, the Speaker determines that allowing a debate to continue is not in the best interests of the region, we concur with the previous Court that they have an obligation to put an end to it.

Many thanks. Despite the nature of my argument and surface contention in this review, I was hoping you would come to this exact decision. The precedent you just set will come in very useful as a legislative tool. ;)

Back