Removed from Queue: Nuclear Weapons Accord[Archived] [Complete]

r3naissanc3r

TNPer
-
-
Nuclear Weapons Accord

Proposed by: Chester Pearson | Resolution link | World Assembly forum thread

Description: The World Assembly,

UNDERSTANDING that nuclear weapons are an integral part of some nations deterrence strategy,

CONFIRMING the right of member nations to possess and use nuclear weapons in warfare,

ALSO REALIZING the potential threat posed to civilians caught in the blast effects of nuclear detonations,

DEEPLY ALARMED that international law permits civilians to be targeted by nuclear weapons,

THUS RESOLVING to enact a sensible policy that mitigates the civilian casualties resulting from a nuclear exchange between hostile nations,

The General Assembly hereby:

For the purposes of this convention defines a nuclear weapon as a weapon fueled by nuclear reactions,

Demands member nations take all necessary precautions to ensure they do not intentionally target civilian populations with nuclear weapons unless:

A hostile nation places targets of critical strategic value within major civilian population centers or;

A hostile nation tries to intentionally shield key military assets with civilian populations.

Permits the usage of nuclear weapons in a counter-value role should another hostile nation target their civilian populations in defiance of this accord,

Requires member nations to ensure their nuclear stockpile remains in the sole possession of their duly authorized government forces only; Furthermore civilians and private corporations not acting on behalf of duly authorized government forces shall be prohibited from possessing nuclear armaments for any reason,

Clarifies that nothing in this resolution shall be interpreted as affecting the right of member nations to utilize nuclear weapons against military targets as part of their defense strategy.
Please vote: For | Against | Abstain | Present

"Abstain" means that you wish for the Delegate to not vote on the resolution at all.
"Present" means that you effectively choose not to participate in this vote. "Present" has no effect on how the Delegate votes.

This won't go to vote for another two days, but since the resolution currently at vote appears certain to pass regardless of how I vote, I thought we could start discussion on this one early.

This resolution appears to be one of the replacement texts for areas no longer covered by WA law by reason of the repeal of the International Criminal Court. The author is in TNP and here on the forum, so I'd invite them to discuss their proposal.

As for my personal opinion, judging from the text and the debate on the GA forum, I am inclined to support this. So I vote tentatively For, pending comments from the author and our other expert contributors.

This was yanked from the queue for an apparent category violation which I, nor anyone else that commented can see. I have since filed an appeal on the matter, and hopefully some small shred of wisdom will dawn on those dimwits that continually make these arbitrary decisions regarding which category should fit into which category.... :headbang:

Chester Pearson:
This was yanked from the queue for an apparent category violation which I, nor anyone else that commented can see. I have since filed an appeal on the matter, and hopefully some small shred of wisdom will dawn on those dimwits that continually make these arbitrary decisions regarding which category should fit into which category.... :headbang:
The decision seems justified to me. Even if you disagree with it, this is no reason to call the NS moderators "dimwits".

As the decision says, you should just resubmit the proposal under a more appropriate category.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back