RolePlay Moderator
-
Deputy Speaker
-
-
-
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
It was suggested (well, it was told to me by Zyet) in the IRC channel that I could start a thread here to see if I could allay any concerns that those voting to uphold have.

So... have at it.

You have been warned a number of times on this forum for trolling and spamming. You are currently on an 80% warning level. You have used phrases such as “mindless, brainwashed twat” and “condescending little prick” to name but a couple of choice phrases. By my count, your warning level has been increased by three different moderators, at various times over a long period.

This may or may not make you a security risk, but it makes me question why the RA would want to admit you to its halls.

At least one of those warnings was actually a misunderstanding, a reference between myself and Earth to an earlier event and not meant in any way to be offensive, nor did she take offence to it.

I tried to approach you who gave me the warning and got brushed off. As well as that, I was given a warning around the 2nd of April 2013 that an admin urged me in a pm to appeal.

Further to the point, we are talking about things that happened over a year ago in most cases. After that point, the 2nd of April 2013, I was active in TNP up until January of this year - with no problems, no warnings as far as I can remember - until I left the game.

This is a region that includes yourself, Durk, Roman and many others who aren't exactly experts in expressing 'diplomatic' language either.

I don't consider you a security risk.

Do you fly off the handle? Yes. You're at an 80% warn level which means you're close to a ban. I have a pretty open mind to allowing people in the RA and my record of allowing in quote-unquote undesirables has pretty much been the same.

I have voted to overturn your RA app rejection. This does not mean I like your politics, it means I believe in your right to be in the RA.

I never thought you even liked TNP. I've seen you make many public comments against the region. I am surprised you want to be a member of the RA. Have you had a change of heart?

mcmasterdonia:
I never thought you even liked TNP. I've seen you make many public comments against the region. I am surprised you want to be a member of the RA. Have you had a change of heart?
Being forced out of Osiris, and then leaving the game, puts things in a certain perspective.

I won't pretend to be overly fond of some of TNP's systems and conventions, but I'd much rather prefer a flawed democracy to a region where it really is possibly to chase someone away.

That and, for all I've said about TNP (most of which was me playing my role at the time) I like the people of TNP.

Well, most of them.

It's nothing personal, and I do hope that your rejection is not upheld. It is an unfortunate coincidence that you registered during election time. I simply wanted to prevent people I viewed as gaming the system from registering at election time to influence the outcome of our election.

Oh, ok.

Yeah, that makes sense. A sensible move actually.

madjack:
mcmasterdonia:
Being forced out of Osiris, and then leaving the game, puts things in a certain perspective.

I won't pretend to be overly fond of some of TNP's systems and conventions, but I'd much rather prefer a flawed democracy to a region where it really is possibly to chase someone away.

That and, for all I've said about TNP (most of which was me playing my role at the time) I like the people of TNP.

Well, most of them.
Thanks for the answer MJ. I'm glad to see you've returned to the game and I have voted Nay accordingly.

But I also count Unibot among my friends, does that mean I double secret can't be trusted.

Why not make a law saying people can't be accepted into the RA during the election period?

I don't see the point of a law that does that, and it would require a significant rewrite of existing clauses relating to length of time from application to admission.. If we wanted to go that route, it would be better to just take the clause prohibiting voting on any vote which opened prior to someone's admission and amend that to include elections where the person joined after the period for declarations of candidacy was opened.

But that really doesn't solve anything either - anybody intent on throwing an election would simply join a few days in advance, leading to calls to push the date further and further back each election cycle. And while election tampering sounds like a terrifying threat, I've never seen any indication that it's actually occurring in our elections... so the fearmongering about foreign influences comes across a lot like cries about voter fraud IRL. Or, in other words, specious.

Rach:
Why not make a law saying people can't be accepted into the RA during the election period?
Don't we already have a law saying those accepted during election period can't vote in that election? Maybe I'm mistaken...

Edit: No, I'm totally right.

Codified Law of The North Pacific:
11. Regional Assembly members may not vote in any vote which began before they were last admitted.

Democratic Donkeys:
There are without a doubt people who register just to vote in our elections.

But don't worry, Vice-Delegate Democratic Donkeys has a list of who those people are and will be sure to keep them from voting.

You see? my position in the Vice Delegate election will mean that we are free from accusations of bias or favouritism. All applicants will be passed to the RA for confirmation vote. Everyone, at any time.

Blue Wolf II:
Don't we already have a law saying those accepted during election period can't vote in that election? Maybe I'm mistaken...
The law only says they cannot be candidates in that election. They can still vote.

A few people have suggested that we expand this rule to include a voting prohibition, both here and in the RA thread. Though not a perfect safeguard from voter flooding, such prohibitions usually prove to be reasonably useful. So I would support an amendment like that.

It would also be a simple amendment, especially compared to the alternative of not permitting RA admissions during election periods.

Yes, so as long as they register and are admitted before the actual vote starts, they are able to vote. That is why our "regulars" decided to register with enough time to spare. Too bad I had my "list" ready. ;)

Blue Wolf II:
r3naissanc3r:
The law only says they cannot be candidates in that election. They can still vote.
11. Regional Assembly members may not vote in any vote which began before they were last admitted.

I disagree.
Sorry, I misread your previous post. I incorrectly assumed you were referring to the prohibition for members that joined fewer than 15 days before elections.

DD:
Yes, so as long as they register and are admitted before the actual vote starts, they are able to vote.

You know you didn't have to process that request for 14 days, and even then you don't have to give a decision. If DD really believed that they are here just to influence the election, I assume based upon very carefully researched data and not just a silly gut feeling, he could have just delayed accepting them until after the voting process had started.

That way they can't do the unspeakable evil DD claims they will commit and they can still partake in the region if DD is actually wrong and they really do want to be involved in the RA outside of General Election votes.

madjack:
You were -not- forced out of Osiris. I want to make that completely and utterly clear. Logs of the entire event are available publicly from a neutral third party.

Actions had consequences, and yours carried a recall. I was not the one endo-tarting past the endorsement cap and in spitting range of the delegacy a few days after being recalled.

I thank everyone who voted for me for their support.

It is a privilege to serve this region as a member of the assembly, and one I will not take lightly.

You know, I took the time to read this thread and have come to a very objective conclusion.

At first I voted 'Nay' to overturn MJ's application to the RA, and then I started thinking about that vote and as to why I voted 'Nay' out of hand.

That vote was influenced by how certain other members voted in addition to past history, but then I started thinking about the way I voted.

In the past, on numerous occasion, we have knowingly allowed bad actors of many descriptions to re-up in the RA under new 'personae' using 'duality' as a justification. And it got me to thinking.

MadJack has the gonads to not take the neutered 'duality' approach and actually fight for admission to the RA under his standing persona. That, IMHO, opinion, takes a lot of balls and a lot of guts, more so than most people would ever attempt to display. It shows some serous backbone and a willingness to change in order to contribute to the region.

And for that reason I changed my vote from "Nay" to "Aye".

I appreciate the sentiment though. Duality isn't something I support (unless it's blatantly obvious it's done for lulz purposes) so my choice was wait it out and hope the vote turned, or fight to get in.

Now uh.. if someone could go poke an admin that'd be great :p

I think Roman is getting himself confused between the Douria vote and the Madjack vote.

Roman altered his vote in the Douria voting thread, not the Madjack one.

I am happy to have Madjack in our ranks, as I actually really do like him and would not have warned him because I like his style. That being said, it does appear that his demeanor has changed markedly in a positive direction.

flemingovia:
I think Roman is getting himself confused between the Douria vote and the Madjack vote.

Roman altered his vote in the Douria voting thread, not the Madjack one.

Silly me. I hate how these bills are worded (not that my vote would have made a difference).

We really need to use obfuscatory language in the wording of such bills. They should read more like this:

"Let the bugger in" or "Send the sod packing."

That would leave no room for confusion or far sighted arseholes like me.

SillyString:
Er, roman... You know that Aye means "uphold the rejection", right?

Glad you pointed that out. This is an entirely different matter.

Back