[Complete]At Vote:Commend Hobbesistan [Complete]

Abacathea

TNPer
Commend Hobbesistan
A resolution to recognize outstanding contribution by a nation or region.

Category: Commendation

Nominee: Hobbesistan

Proposed by: Bodobol​

Nominee: Hobbesistan

Proposed by: Bodobol

Description: COGNIZANT of the goal of Security Council Commendations to recognize extensive contributions to nations and regions across the world,

RECOGNIZING that the nation of Hobbesistan, colloquially referred to as 'Hobbes', has actively worked to improve the quality of multiple major regions,

APPLAUDING Hobbesistan's vital and extremely hard work in establishing sophisticated forums for the regions of Lazarus, Miranda and Khora, thereby increasing activity within them and connecting nations within the region more closely,

GRATEFUL for the nation's establishment of RadioNS, which brings many people and nations together and informed by hosting talk shows and music stations,

IMPRESSED that Hobbesistan selflessly succeeded in ending the Purge of Khora, during which a rogue anonymous nation with access to the Founder's powers ejected almost all of the 116 recorded nations in the region, by removing the administrative powers of said nation and thus preventing total annihilation of the region,

ACKNOWLEDGING Hobbesistan's membership and work in the field of raiding and defending, including:

-Serving as a Merryman in the United Defenders League,
-Serving as a Captain in the Lazarene Liberation Army,

-Serving as a Colonel in the East Pacific Sovereign Army,

-Participating in the liberations of Asia, Christmas, and Region of United Muslim States, among countless others,

FURTHER ACKNOWLEDGING that representatives from Hobbesistan created several publications, such as 'A Guide to R/D' and 'So You've Been Raided...' that have helped new nations gain knowledge on the basics of raiding and defending,

OBSERVING that Hobbesistan created Serina, an artificial intelligence used by many nations to assist in defending and military operations worldwide,

NOTING that Hobbesistan is active within the World Assembly, co-authoring SC Resolution #128, 'Commend Harmoneia',

BELIEVING the aforementioned actions warrant a Commendation from the World Assembly by virtue of the incredible amount of hard work and devotion put into them and the benefit they have provided to the world,

HEREBY COMMENDS Hobbesistan.

Co-authored by Todd McCloud

mowa-seal.png

MINISTERIAL REVIEW

Welcome to another exciting installment of WA Review! This time we have "Commend Hobbesistan". Having appraised the act, it's got some strengths and some weaknesses respectively. Ultimately though, the question has to be asked alongside the draft, "Does the candidate really warrant it?"

So here's a breakdown of the proposal section by section:

Description: COGNIZANT of the goal of Security Council Commendations to recognize extensive contributions to nations and regions across the world,

RECOGNIZING that the nation of Hobbesistan, colloquially referred to as 'Hobbes', has actively worked to improve the quality of multiple major regions,

Essentially fluff, but the fact remains Hobbes has been beneficial to the regions it's been in. To what extent? Could have been expanded on though.

APPLAUDING Hobbesistan's vital and extremely hard work in establishing sophisticated forums for the regions of Lazarus, Miranda and Khora, thereby increasing activity within them and connecting nations within the region more closely,

This is quite true from the Ministry's knowledge and a well worded point.

GRATEFUL for the nation's establishment of RadioNS, which brings many people and nations together and informed by hosting talk shows and music stations,

A nifty feature, and again, a strong point made.

IMPRESSED that Hobbesistan selflessly succeeded in ending the Purge of Khora, during which a rogue anonymous nation with access to the Founder's powers ejected almost all of the 116 recorded nations in the region, by removing the administrative powers of said nation and thus preventing total annihilation of the region,

It's not something that hasn't been done before, that said it's still a strong accomplishment.

ACKNOWLEDGING Hobbesistan's membership and work in the field of raiding and defending, including:

-Serving as a Merryman in the United Defenders League,
-Serving as a Captain in the Lazarene Liberation Army,

-Serving as a Colonel in the East Pacific Sovereign Army,

-Participating in the liberations of Asia, Christmas, and Region of United Muslim States, among countless others,

Speaks for itself to a degree, although simple organizational membership really doesn't do too much to strengthen the case here.

OBSERVING that Hobbesistan created Serina, an artificial intelligence used by many nations to assist in defending and military operations worldwide,

NOTING that Hobbesistan is active within the World Assembly, co-authoring SC Resolution #128, 'Commend Harmoneia',

Sadly, and to it's detriment, neither of these two are exceptionally commendable. While Serina is quite good, she's just another bot at the end of the day. As for the SC authorship... Not nearly as much activity as others who are yet to commended for this.

BELIEVING the aforementioned actions warrant a Commendation from the World Assembly by virtue of the incredible amount of hard work and devotion put into them and the benefit they have provided to the world,

This is ultimately the crux of the issue.

MINISTRY SUMMATION​

Ultimately the question is, has Hobbes done enough to warrant a commendation? All the above are great works, and there's no dispute regarding that minus one or two points. But they're not exceptional enough, at least not as put forward to warrant a commendation just yet. Had the draft been refined perhaps, it may have stood, but as is present, it's just not screaming "yes". That said, the minister suggests ABSTAIN on this matter.

AS PER USUAL THIS IS A SUGGESTED VOTE ONLY, PLEASE VOTE FOR,AGAINST OR ABSTAIN AS DESIRED BELOW.

I told the author that I had several concerns about this proposal. I believe that Hobbes is a fantastic NSer, though he is still new and will likely achieve a lot more in the year or so ahead. Some of the achievements that are listed in this commendation I do not feel are commend worthy. RadioNS on it's own is a positive achievement, however it is not the first of it's kind and it seems that it is not commend worthy.

Likewise, his contributions to the regions of Miranda and Kora (excluding the stopping of the purge). What is exceptionally significant about that?

Finally, I agree with the Minister's view that these achievements are not extraordinary. I have lodged a vote of Against, assuming I am counting the votes correctly.

Hobbes will be commended one day, I am sure. This feels premature and I hope that it does not damage any future attempts to commend Hobbes for his efforts.

Last time I checked 109 delegates approved his commendation proposal, and it only required 78 to get to quorum.

100+ delegates can't be wrong.

For.

Chasmanthe:
Last time I checked 109 delegates approved his commendation proposal, and it only required 78 to get to quorum.

For.
You don't honestly believe that do you?

Abacathea:
Chasmanthe:

For.
Name me one example where over a 100 delegates have approved something and it's not passed.
mcmasterdonia:
I thought you were against voting in regions where your WA nation isn't around Chasmanthe?
Yes, I am.

How do you know my WA nation isn't in TNP?

Chasmanthe:
Abacathea:
Chasmanthe:

For.
Name me one example where over a 100 delegates have approved something and it's not passed.
mcmasterdonia:
I thought you were against voting in regions where your WA nation isn't around Chasmanthe?
Yes, I am.

How do you know my WA nation isn't in TNP?
Chas, with enough stamps I could get "de-pants Chasmanthe" to quorum by lunchtime tomorrow, regardless of it's obvious illegalities. I have to echo NES here, that has to be the silliest justification I've ever heard. Sorry, but... really it is.

Lapeirousia was listed as your WA in your profile field - I assume that was up to date and that nation would still reside in Taijitu. It is in Taijitu but is not in the WA.

North East Somerset:
A significant proportion of all proposals that fail. Like the current one in the GA, or the one before that... :P

What an utterly meaningless measure of value.
Okay North East, that's actually more than one example.
Abacathea:
Chas, with enough stamps I could get "de-pants Chasmanthe" to quorum by lunchtime tomorrow, regardless of it's obvious illegalities. I have to echo NES here, that has to be the silliest justification I've ever heard. Sorry, but... really it is.
Please don't actually do that.

To be honest, I've never actually looked at how many approvals proposals tend to get. Hobbes seemed to think it was a lot, so I didn't really question it.
mcmasterdonia:
Lapeirousia was listed as your WA in your profile field - I assume that was up to date and that nation would still reside in Taijitu. It is in Taijitu but is not in the WA.
Lap was my WA when the WA verification law was repealed in TNP.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back