Voting in character?

Hi guys,

The Gatekeeper Ministry of Abacathea touched on an interesting subject in the latest telegram that i thought i would open as a topic here. That being your voting policy.

I've decided to create a nation which is darkly authoritarian and conservative. A thoroughly deliberate, considered and satirical choice because it's the antithesis of my actual moral and political opinions. I imagine a lot of people might create nations with this in mind - it can be more fun after all...That being said i personally feel it's important to stay 'in character' Otherwise your not playing your nation appropriately.

I have to vote in the WA as my nation would not necessarily i would. If i vote on a subject based on my own personal perspective this would contradict how Grandbretan should vote and would be out of character.

How do you feel about this? I think it's important.

That is definitely not unusual. Quite a lot of nations vote based on their in character views. I know that our former Vice Delegate Sanctaria (who is also an accomplished WA author) would vote on that basis. Your right to vote however you like cannot be taken away from you by the Government or anyone else, and you're free to base your vote on whatever you see fit.

Thanks for visiting us! I hope you continue to hang around and vote on WA resolutions here.

Interesting topic, Grandbretan.

I answer issues, WA resolutions and pretty much everything about NS in character, even though my fictional identity and nation are not that far from my real views. The notable exception, besides specific OOC threads, is regional security.

I tend to vote by a mix of RP and gut instinct. Sometimes I just tow the party line (as it is over at TNP), unless my nation would disagree.

All nationstates is in character. everything is roleplay. I am currently roleplaying a mortal human rather than a god. It is quite limiting, but amusing.

flemingovia:
All nationstates is in character. everything is roleplay. I am currently roleplaying a mortal human rather than a god. It is quite limiting, but amusing.
I am so gonna start the Heresy Pact against you... :p

Commenting only, my WA voting is always made IC, in as much as my nations is RP by how I would personally drive a nation in the NS environment... This is, if NS was a real world, my RL persona would make the same decisions as my in-game persona, and hence the lines of IC and OOC blurred out...

For me, the lines tend to blur as well, largely because I'm creating the kind of country I'd want to run if for some ungodly reason I was given power over a country.

However, on some of the tougher issues, if I don't wish to dismiss it altogether and deal with it another time, I will carefully read the advisory notes and go against the one that strikes me as the most fun or relevant. When two out of 3 options end in someone attacking the advisor, I tend not to go that route. :D

Back