Request for Review: FOI Requests and the Judicial Branch

Kiwi

TNPer
I would like the Court to answer this question once and for all. Is the judicial branch subject to the FOIA? In other words, are their inner workings subject to release as is the case with the executive branch?

Thanks for your time,
[me]
Attorney General
The North Pacific

Pardon me, Mr. Chief Justice, but is there a particular format in which briefs ought to be presented?

I would like to submit the arguments I made here, as well as further defenses here and here, to be considered by the court in its deliberations.

See, I was hoping you'd take that post as a brief so I didn't have to rewrite everything. :P As a note, I have plagiarized liberally from my previous posts. Sue me. :P

In answer to Kiwi's question, I would like to present an argument to the court that the judicial branch is not covered by the FOIA law, by arguing that it was only intended and written to apply to the executive branch. There are several components to this argument, which individually are insufficient to establish the answer definitively one way or the other, but which in combination paint a very clear picture.

There are three overarching elements - the law itself, the context in which it was written, and the potential implications it has.

The Law

Clause 15 of this law states,
15. The Delegate and appointed government officials will be delegated the task of informing the Assembly of any governmental action not already disclosed by the respective officers of the Executive.
As worded, this clearly bounds the expectations of disclosure. It explicitly makes reference to governmental action, and names only executive officers who have a duty to disclose. Additionally, the limited scope of this clause was deliberately established - it is not through quirk of interpretation or unclear wording that this only includes Executive officials; they are explicitly chosen and named.

It makes no mention of disclosure by the other branches of government, or the officials thereof. And indeed, the necessity for such disclosure could not arise. It is impossible for the RA to hold a private vote of which its members are unaware, and it is impossible for the court to issue a secret verdict that the region cannot access - even in the case of private RA deliberations and a sealed trial, if such were to occur, the resulting action would still necessarily be public - and voting and verdicts are the only actions which the legislative and judicial branches respectively can take. The executive branch, on the other hand, has much greater freedom of action - it controls foreign affairs, the military, and the intelligence agency, all of which have a much higher need for secrecy and, accordingly, require a legal provision for overriding that secrecy when it is in the interests of the common citizen to do so.

The clause also references information not yet disclosed by the respective Executive officer - that is, respective to the category of the action. While an undisclosed military operation does have a respective Executive officer, namely the Minister of Defense, there exists no Executive officer with respect to the Legislature or to the Judiciary (The AG, while an Executive Officer, exists with respect to the AG's office and not the Court proper).

Clause 16 says,
16. All registered citizens residing in The North Pacific may request information from the Government through the Delegate and the designated officers of the Executive.
Taken alone, this could be interpreted quite broadly. However, given the context in which it appears, it is far more limited than it might otherwise be. Following directly after an establishment of the Executive branch's duty to keep the public informed, this clause clearly is intended to create a method for the RA to hold an executive responsible who fails to abide by the transparency obligation.

This is made even more clear from the choice of wording within the clause - the capitalization of Government, in combination with another explicit reference to Executive officials only, sets up a clear conformity with the British English meaning of "Executive Branch" and not the system as a whole.

The use of government is uncertain - this I will concede. Owing, I believe, to the mixed British and American membership in the region, the Constibillocode is inconsistent with its usage. In recent times, we have swung toward the American usage of the term, with the vast majority of instances of "government" clearly encompassing all three branches. However, if one consults the Legal Code, there are three references to "Government" (capitalized, yes) which are obviously the British meaning - 1.5.20, 3.3.8, and 3.3.10. That is to say, there are certainly instances in the Constibillocode where the Executive-branch meaning is used, and it being read as such here would not be the sole (and therefore nonsensical) exception to the rule.

Similarly, like the use of "respective" in the previous clause, clauses 16 and 17 both make reference to "designated" executive officers - which still do not exist for the two other branches of government.

Clause 17 says,
17. The Delegate and the designated officers of the Executive will endeavour to retrieve information requested from the different departments of the government, who are obligated to release this information provided it will not and/or does not present a threat to regional security or unduly impinge on the privacy of private citizens, and
Again, just like the two preceding clauses, this references only officials of the executive branch in its obligations. Additionally, the specification of regional security restricts the context away from both legislative and court functions - because of the inherently public nature of votes and verdicts, regional security does not enter into consideration.

Moreover, the use of the word "departments" is telling. While it is not used anywhere else in the Constibillocode, it was nevertheless deliberately chosen and there is a great deal of information in its meaning. A department is something with a specific scope that is nevertheless subordinate to a central authority - The Judiciary and the Legislature are branches of government, but they are not departments; they are subordinate to no single figure, and in the real world, one never hears "department" used to refer to a branch of government.

Rather, departments is an appropriate term to use to refer to executive subdivisions, which clearly do fit within the linguistic scope of the term. In the US, you can find State, Justice, Homeland Security, etc - whose functions are independent of one another, but whose leadership is all subordinate and responsible to a single, central, Executive head. In other contexts the word is used, as in "department store", the same principle can be seen - the various departments all deal with different categories of product, and may have separate management and staff, but those department managers all answer to a central store manager, by whom they are also likely hired.

In no context whatsoever that I can think of is the word "department" ever used to indicate subdivisions which are controlled by a central document, which would be the only way to consider the legislature and the judiciary as departments of the government. It is far more reasonable to interpret its usage in the FOIA law in a way which is in line with both the existing semantic scope of the word as well as the general gist of the rest of the law, rather than one which supposes that the authors deliberately coined a brand new usage of the term without defining it.

The rest of the section (Clauses 18-20) deals with issues relating to regional security exemptions from the law, which calls upon the Delegate and Executive officers to argue the case for security before a private court. This goes back to the previous point made, where the scope of this entire section clearly points to the Executive branch alone. In addition, the fact that this case is made to the standard court indicates that the Judicial branch cannot possibly have been involved earlier in the process - for it to have been the target of an initial FOIA request would represent a blatant conflict of interest later, and require the selection of an entire court of THOs - an absurd situation.

The Context

It is worthwhile to examine the context in which this law was written, discussed, and pased, to see what extra information can be gleaned.

This originally rose out of a policy of the Department of Internal Affairs (the only other official reference to "department" that I can find), and was codified into law. The discussion thread about it, which can be found here, contains several important elements.

Mr Sniffles, who introduced the bill, had as a main concern the ability to check the power of the executive branch and hold it accountable. He said, "I think this legislation is needed now more than ever since there is no Minister of Communications and the cabinet is handpicked by the executive. We need a check and balance, this is one of my many responses."

The original legislation, moreover, made reference to the "CLO" - a now-defunct body consisting of, I believe, the Speaker of the RA and three elected ministers - whose sole purpose was to review executive actions. It was the CLO who had the responsibility of ruling on the "regional security" aspect of FOIA requests.

"Department" has also never been used in TNP to refer to the RA or the court - in searches on the term, we find people referring to the FA department, the WA department, the communications department, and so on, but not to the RA or the court. This serves to further strengthen the previous claim regarding the semantic scope of the term - if it has not been used in a particular way in the past, and has not been defined to mean that thing, we should interpret it in a familiar, not novel, way.

The Implications

Precedentally speaking, there are gigantic risks associated with ruling that the court falls under the FOIA law. If it does, then any and all court deliberations at any time can be forced into the public eye. The court was established with a private discussion chamber for a reason - it is important for the administration of justice that its members have the freedom to speak candidly to one another without excessive concern about public backlash for taking unpopular positions. Placing the court under the jurisdiction of FOIA, however, removes that privilege, and prejudices all future deliberations. Justices will be under pressure to consider how their words will reflect on them, and their re-electability, if made public, and not to apply the best justice they can.

This clearly presents a major risk of a gross miscarriage of justice in the future, and accordingly, the court should be inclined from the beginning to rule against any interpretation of the FOIA law that would include the court or the RA under its jurisdiction. Only if no other interpretation is deemed possible should it even be considered.

I thank the Court for its consideration, and apologize for the height of this wall.

I think SillyString has covered the bases with the great explanation above.

The notion that the Court is subject to the FOIA is absurd and not something that anyone wants.

I don't always agree with Silly String, but when I do, I do so while drinking Dos Equis. :P

Stay thirsty my friends, and please don't subject TNP justices to constant FOIA requests.

SillyString:
The Implications

Precedentally speaking, there are gigantic risks associated with ruling that the court falls under the FOIA law. If it does, then any and all court deliberations at any time can be forced into the public eye. The court was established with a private discussion chamber for a reason - it is important for the administration of justice that its members have the freedom to speak candidly to one another without excessive concern about public backlash for taking unpopular positions. Placing the court under the jurisdiction of FOIA, however, removes that privilege, and prejudices all future deliberations. Justices will be under pressure to consider how their words will reflect on them, and their re-electability, if made public, and not to apply the best justice they can.

This clearly presents a major risk of a gross miscarriage of justice in the future, and accordingly, the court should be inclined from the beginning to rule against any interpretation of the FOIA law that would include the court or the RA under its jurisdiction. Only if no other interpretation is deemed possible should it even be considered.

I thank the Court for its consideration, and apologize for the height of this wall.
I could not have said that any better! :clap:

Absolute privacy in Court deliberations is required to prevent Justices from being tainted by political considerations.

Blue Wolf II:
This request and acceptance strikes me as a massive, if not unavoidable, Conflict of Interests.
Let's get silly about this for a moment.

A very FOIA request of the Court for private deliberations would automatically and unavoidably create a conflict of interests that would be unique to FOIA requests of the Court. And any set of THO's you replaced justices with to decide the issue would, by all logic, also be in conflict of interest requiring another set of THO's to be appointed who, would then, by the same logic, also be in conflict of interest. And so on, and so on. Such an FOIA request could never be satisfied under the law.

And if it was, would every Court Justice be required to preserve and record every single thought they had as part of the record whether or not they uttered those thoughts?

Point being, Court deliberations are ephemeral and vanish into the air unless the court chambers are bugged which would make any record of those deliberations inadmissible in any forum or format. :P

For the record:

court-seal.png

Ruling of the Court of the North Pacific
In regards to the Judicial Inquiry filed by Kiwi on the Scope of Freedom of Information Act Requests

The Court took into consideration the Inquiry filed here by Kiwi.

The Court took into consideration the brief filed here by SillyString.

The Court took into consideration the relevant section of the Legal Code of the North Pacific:

Section 6.2: Freedom of Information Act
16. The Delegate and appointed government officials will be delegated the task of informing the Assembly of any governmental action not already disclosed by the respective officers of the Executive.
17. All registered citizens residing in The North Pacific may request information from the Government through the Delegate and the designated officers of the Executive.
18. The Delegate and the designated officers of the Executive will endeavour to retrieve information requested from the different departments of the government, who are obligated to release this information provided it will not and/or does not present a threat to regional security or unduly impinge on the privacy of private citizens, and
19. Citizens which do not receive this information for any reason not specifically designated in appropriate laws or regulations may file a request for the information in a regional court, where the Delegate and the designated officers of the Executive may present evidence that addresses any claim that release of the information impairs Regional security.
20. Information not disclosed because of issues pertaining to Regional security will be classified by the majority vote of the Court sitting as a three-member panel.
21. Information whose disclosure is deemed a security threat to the Region will be released by the affirmative vote of a majority of a three-member panel of the Court, no sooner than 2 months after the original request, once the threat no longer exists.

The Court opines the following:

The question before the Court is whether the Judicial branch is subject to the FOIA law, or more specifically, whether the private deliberations of the Court are subject to release upon request.

Justices are encumbered with the great responsibility of determining the guilt or innocence of an accused party, and of debating the particulars of points of law, in a way which is as impartial and free from bias as possible. The privacy of court deliberations has always been recognized and protected in The North Pacific, as it is integral to this process.

Should this privacy cease to be protected, and Court decisions be deemed subject to FOIA publication upon request, freedom of judicial deliberation would be curtailed. Knowing that their preliminary thoughts and arguments could be made public, Justices would likely be pressured to tailor their posts to fit with political sensibilities and not ruffle prominent political feathers. There would also be pressure to take into account the opinions of prominent members of the region and render final decisions in accordance with their interests, rather than relying on the opinions of the members of the Court and pursuing the path of justice.

It is clear, therefore, that applying the FOIA law to the Judiciary would be a gross violation of the principles of justice and of the integrity of the judicial process, and another interpretation of the law should be sought.

The brief filed by SillyString takes a careful look at the clause-by-clause language of the bill itself, as well as the context in which that language arose, and presents just such an alternative interpretation. SillyString argues that the FOIA law is intentionally restricted to apply the Executive branch alone, and cannot be used to force private discussions within either the Court or the Regional Assembly into the public eye. The Court agrees with this analysis, and with its conclusions.

It is therefore the decision of the Court that the FOIA law may only be used to request information belonging to the Executive branch. Private deliberations of the Court are exempt from any and all FOIA requests, and publication of such private deliberations is absolutely prohibited under any and all circumstances.

I just noticed that SillyString gave a brief on this particular matter. Does that mean that she excluded herself from participating in this discussion in private, that would seem to be a conflict to me?

I did not recuse myself. I don't think it was necessary to do so, as this brief was filed prior to my election, and voters had full access to my opinion on this matter when they elected me. I don't believe there was a conflict of interest in this case, much as I do not believe Roman had a conflict despite being on the court whose discussion was originally FOIA'd.

I did, however, insist on not taking point on drafting this decision.

I'd agree that I don't believe SS has a CoI here.

Just because her position on the matter was known by the previous court does not bias her in relation to deliberating this particular case, imo. However, I am going to do a little digging to see if this is an unprecedented situation where someone who submitted a brief on a review request subsequently voted on the ruling of the same.

Either way - i'm not convinced that SS's participation in this ruling represents a conflict.

It's funny you all mentioned this, I wondered the same thing myself.

The hilarious irony is that by the very nature of the decision in question, any justice deciding this matter has a conflict of interest. This is because they are deciding if they will retain their own privacy or not. So, by stating the above opinion prior to become a justice... it's arguable that SillyString had more objectivity at the time. If that makes any sense at all.

Usually if a justice states their opinion before a decision is made, they sometimes recuse themselves. Although they do not always do this.

An interesting thought! I have no problem with SillyString having made this decision, however.

Kiwi:
It's funny you all mentioned this, I wondered the same thing myself.

The hilarious irony is that by the very nature of the decision in question, any justice deciding this matter has a conflict of interest. This is because they are deciding if they will retain their own privacy or not. So, by stating the above opinion prior to become a justice... it's arguable that SillyString had more objectivity at the time. If that makes any sense at all.

Usually if a justice states their opinion before a decision is made, they sometimes recuse themselves. Although they do not always do this.

An interesting thought! I have no problem with SillyString having made this decision, however.

An interesting situation to be in. Roman's "conflict" seems relatively minor in this situation. But given that SillyString did lodge a brief on this matter and was one of the strongest advocates and negotiators for preventing the release of court logs in the first place, that adds more context to why I felt this was a conflict, although possibly a relatively minor one as this is a review and not a court trial. Though I agree with you Kiwi that any justice potentially has a conflict here, although a fairly minor one to be sure.

Thanks for the clarification SillyString.

Back