Concerning Osiris

Flemingovia

TNPer
-
-
Proposal:

"The Regional Assembly urges our delegate to close our in-game and in-forum embassies with Osiris until such time as the situation in Osiris stabilises."

Rationale:

The current situation in Osiris is a mess. the Osiris embassy on this forum is a reflection of this mess. As Eluvatar has pointed out, it flies the new flag, mentions the Kemetic republic and links to Dalimbar's forum.

the statement issued by McMasterdonia states that TNP's position will be to not get involved in the mess - probably rightly.

However, our decision to remain neutral in this row is undermined by the fact that the regional page of Osiris still links us as having an embassy with the region - which is a tacit support of the new government.

The RA cannot decide on matters of embassies, but we can urge McM to close the embassy until such time as the situation there is resolved.

The cynic in me says that, of course, we won't. We will bat this around without doing anything until the thread runs out of steam. But I can but hope.

While I agree with this proposal to an extent, I think it might be a more easy fix to update the 'Kemetic Republic of Osiris' reference, and link to the OFO forum instead of the old one.

If TNP is not prepared to do that, it may be failing to recognize OFO - in which case McM should close the in-game embassy to the region that they control.

This proposal would just do something for the sake of doing something. There is no point to it.

And this would achieve what on an international front? Besides make The North Pacific look silly... no one has expected anything from The North Pacific that I've seen, so if we were to prematurely close the embassy with them for no reason other than that "the forum is a mess", or "the region is undergoing internal difficulties" would see us jumping the gun a little.

Keep the embassy open and be a neutral ground, stick to the neutrality and let both sides post their own updates in the same embassy - if there is trouble, let the forum staff sort it so it'll be kept out of the political overview and keep the lines of communication open.

Isolating The North Pacific from either side of that could mean it misses out on vital information coming from that region - whatever side of it you choose to listen to - and by all means, close the in-game embassy, but I strongly recommend keeping the forum embassy open for communication to pass between both The North Pacific and the two factions of Osiris.

To further clarify the announcement, there will be no military involvement in Osiris and as I said there will be no furthering of relations in the form of a treaty.

From the point of view of someone who does not have a vested interest in the shenanigans in Osiris, I think maintaining strict neutrality in the conflict would be better served by not maintaining an embassy with ANYONE. For better or worse, each side will be jostling for legitimacy, and particularly keeping the in-game embassy open will be seen as support for Vincio's junta. At least by me.

We have so many cosmos in TNP with fingers in various pies in Osiris that I do not think that this move will at all "isolate" us. I cannot conceive that we will gain vital information through the embassy that we will not get from various other channels.

While there's no attempt to further relations with Osiris, I would be slow to allow them to degrade any further too.

Maintaining the status quo in a time of trouble seems more logical, it's less likely for us to blip on their radar. ;)

Back