Iran Nuclear Deal Reached At Talks In Geneva

Pasargad

Ancient
TNP Nation
Pasargad
An agreement has been reached between Iran and six world powers to curb Tehran's nuclear programme in exchange for limited sanctions relief.

The deal, announced by European Union policy chief Catherine Ashton, is a first step towards resolving a decade-old stand-off between Tehran and the West.

The agreement between the Islamic state and the US, Britain, France, Germany, China and Russia was nailed down after more than four days of negotiations in Geneva.

US President Barack Obama said it was an important first step towards a comprehensive solution to Iran's nuclear programme.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/iran-nuclear-deal-reached-geneva-020910933.html#vXtDDgb

I'm very cautiously optimistic. If the deterrence of renewed sanctions is large enough to inhibit Iran from restarting its nuclear program, then great. My worry is that at some point, those sanctions will become inconvenient for Western powers - or alternatively, lose their support from Russia/China - and then there will be no impediment for Iran to have nukes.

Sometimes I wonder if a military strike is not the best option after all.

Also cautiously optimistic here. But of course I'm convinced no military strike would be a better option.

Not optimistic about this at all. All it does is give Iran another six months to totally ignore the restrictions and continue to develop a working nuke. Iran is famous for signing agreements and them thumbing their noses at that agreement. Iran is not to and never to be trusted, ever.

This nuke deal with Iran is essentially, in historic terms, tantamount to what Neville Chamberlain got in Munich, 1938. In fact, the similarities in how this agreement was arrived at are frighteningly similar and, in the end, will probably result in war after Iran just goes merrily along doing what they always intended to do in the first place. But we shall have to wait and see.

But if I was a betting man, this is how this will probably go down in history:

i5xc.jpg

I also feel that it is a good deal and will lead to more peaceful environment in the middle east as Iran is a natural allies for USA and west in the long run unlike its neighbors to the south of the Persian Gulf.

Romanoffia:
Not optimistic about this at all. All it does is give Iran another six months to totally ignore the restrictions and continue to develop a working nuke. Iran is famous for signing agreements and them thumbing their noses at that agreement. Iran is not to and never to be trusted, ever.

This nuke deal with Iran is essentially, in historic terms, tantamount to what Neville Chamberlain got in Munich, 1938. In fact, the similarities in how this agreement was arrived at are frighteningly similar and, in the end, will probably result in war after Iran just goes merrily along doing what they always intended to do in the first place. But we shall have to wait and see.
I think you're going a bit too far with your analysis.

It is highly unlikely Iran, after eight months of negotiations, will violate the agreement within its operating term. If it does, the sanctions quite simply will not be reinstated.

I don't see what Western powers have got to lose from this agreement. They can reinstate sanctions at any point (Dems in Congress are itching to do it), and even in case the others powers abandon this cause in due course, the US can in itself impose significant damage on Iran's economy, going further than sanctions but even without a direct military strike on nuclear installations.

And no, I'm sorry, there are basically zero parallels to Munich :P

Also that list of countries involved suggests an underlying economical agreement, most likely revolving around energy.

IMHO Iran is holding back in exchange for a share in energy market, distribution or supply for the uncertain future after peak oil

I still say it's Munich 1938 all over again. It's nearly a grand surrender on the West's part.

Iran saw what North Korea got away with, and now they are trying for the same prize, and we handed it to them on a silver platter.

Remember, we are dealing with Iran here - a nation that stones women to death, beheads homosexuals, tortures and executes anyone who doesn't follow the party line and has vowed to wipe Israel off the map and kill every Jew on the planet. Historically speaking, we've seen this movie before and we all know how it turned out. We know that people who espouse such doctrines are not to be trusted to keep their word or have we forgotten the lessons of history? Appeasement never works.

Unfortunately, people never learn that appeasement never works even when you have the upper hand militarily at the time. Neville Chamberlain proved that by his appeasement of people who essentially have the same doctrine and the bunch of scum to which he surrendered diplomatically.

How can people like that be trusted to not try to do what they vow to exterminate an entire race or religion?

I will be willing to bet you that Iran blows of it's own nuke within the next six months and that's if Israel doesn't blow them off the map before that.

I mean it's utter idiocy to not starve Iran into complete and total collapse and thus contain the death and destruction this inane 'agreement' will inevitably lead to. But no, instead we give them the economic means and time to thumb their noses at us, which they will do as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow.

This so-called 'agreement' with Iran is one of the three:

1. A complete act of naive idiocy;

2. A deliberate act designed to assure WW III with a bunch total thugs nuking Israel and/or holding the world hostage for more Western cheese, or;

3. A complete sign of Western Civilization committing suicide because it has utterly lost its will to survive. See items 1 and 2.

The bright side of it all is that the real death and destruction will be largely confined to the Middle East and Europe provided the literal fallout doesn't spread too far.

The way you deal with Iran is the same way you deal with anyone who espouses what they do: you hit them with sanctions so severe that they will be cutting off their own feet and eating them withing six weeks if they do not comply with your demands.

This assinine agreement is tantamount to negotiating with an armed assailant and giving him time to load bullets in his revolver after you've paid for his ammunition and handed it to him while you are holding a loaded gun in your hand without pulling the trigger and ending it right then and there out of being 'diplomatic'. And then asking him not to shoot you after you let him load his gun.

I'll be happy to take you up on your bet, Romanoffia. By June 1, 2014, Iran will not have a functioning nuclear weapon. You can nominate the particulars of the bet.

Back