[Private] W00T, we won! The power, the power!

Flemingovia

TNPer
-
-
So, Roman, CoE and me are the new justices. Well done, guys.

First orders of business:

• Chief Justice selection. Anyone want the job?
    Current caseload: Grosse trial continues etc. I assume Roman will want to carry on the grosse case to completion? Yes?
    Upcoming case: JAL case, any others? Who will take it?
    any changes to rules and procedures this term? The way people voted seems to indicate a certain appetite for chage.

I wouldn't mind being chief justice, unless anyone else feels strongly about it.

I think the rules do need some changes this term - I'll be happy to work with you guys on some streamlining and simplification. Remember that part of the trial procedure is dictated in the legal code, so there's only so far we can go with shortening things and such without the RA's cooperation. But evidence rules are in need of a major re-haul. The people definitely want change, but I think they put me on the bench too for a reason: to make sure we don't go too far. It's no secret that you guys are in favor of some pretty drastic measures, but I have a certain reputation for...well I dunno how to put it but you get the idea. I think I'm here to make sure that the changes we implement don't get out of hand :P

I'll take a look at upcoming cases soon and let you guys know if I'm interested in moderating any of them. There are also a couple pending requests for review leftover from the previous court - we'll probably need to meet on IRC and go over those at some point together.

I would like to stand for Chief Justice also. I think the region wants and needs more radical change than you are temperamentally inclined to deliver.

Roman, I think the choice is yours. I am not sure what happens if you also want the job, and there is a three-way split!!!

So Roman cannot win, and he gets to choose between me and you, even if he abstains?

Fun, Fun, fun. Over to you, Roman.

COE has my support for Chief Justice. :D

I intend to continue as Presiding Justice on the Grosse Trial, which will resume once the new AG is installed and up to speed.

One of you two will have to take the presumed upcoming JAL case unless the Grosse case can be dispensed with before that time.

On judicial procedure changes - we need to come up with a more (here comes that dreaded term) streamlined set of procedures that will make sure that trials don't go on forever causing participants to expire from old age before cases are concluded. This, of course might require coming up with a procedure that precluded various procedural states of delay, linger and wait, if you know what I mean.

Without objection, I will be announcing myself as chief justice in the public gallery forum sometime soon. EDIT: Seeing no objections, some hours later, I'm going ahead and posting it.

Roman, I'd like to make a standard practice of posting conference threads for each trial or review in the private chambers, so that we can confer on anything that concerns the whole court as the trial goes on, and comment on the proceedings. I hope that such a thread will make the ruling/sentencing process go more quickly. Could you go ahead and start a thread for TNP v Grosse, and post any thoughts you have on the case that you think we would be interested in?

I'll take the JAL case, presuming an indictment is eventually filed.

Regarding court rules revisions, I'll post a thread tomorrow that will get that ball rolling. Any changes to the rules will not affect trials which begin before the rules are changed, naturally.

Back