Riddles thread

A fairly common one, but one of my favorites:

A man approaches a river crossing with a boat that can only fit two things - himself, and another item/animal. He also has with him a wolf, a rabbit, and a head of lettuce. If he leaves the wolf alone with the rabbit, the wolf will eat the rabbit. If he leaves the rabbit alone with the lettuce, the rabbit will eat the lettuce. How does he, only able to carry himself and one other thing in his boat at one time, cross the river without losing any of his animals or food?

CapMalcReynolds:

A man approaches a river crossing with a boat that can only fit two things - himself, and another item/animal. He also has with him a wolf, a rabbit, and a head of lettuce. If he leaves the wolf alone with the rabbit, the wolf will eat the rabbit. If he leaves the rabbit alone with the lettuce, the rabbit will eat the lettuce. How does he, only able to carry himself and one other thing in his boat at one time, cross the river without losing any of his animals or food?
Tie the fox to a tree.

King Infuschein:
CapMalcReynolds:

Tie the fox to a tree.
what? there was a fox too?

I may come to a conclusion soon, but only it there's no fox involved!

No, there's no fox (though I think the same riddle is often told with a fox).

And yes, I suppose tying the fox to a tree would work, but that's not really the point of the riddle. Try to think of it in terms of using the boat.

Back