Australian Elections

mcmasterdonia

Just like a queef in the wind, so is life
-
-
-
TNP Nation
McMasterdonia
We had our federal general elections yesterday, with some interesting results.

Unsurprisingly, the Labor Government has been resoundingly defeated. With Julia Gillard removed from the position, the popularity of the ALP in South Australia and Victoria plummeted, but with Kevin Rudd in the position the ALP was able to secure all of its seats in the state of Queensland and Western Australia.

The conservative Liberal Party secured 45.7% of the primary vote and is expected to win 89 seats of the 150 seat legislature which is a comfortable majority although not as big as the Murdoch media was expecting. Tony Abbott will be Australia's 28th Prime Minister after the 7th change of government since the second world war.

Tony Abbott is not a particularly popular leader of the liberal party. The elections saw a slight swing to the Liberal Party and a reasonable swing away from the Australian Labor Party to the minor parties that have sprung up over the past three years. The Australian Greens also suffered a swing against them of around 3 percent.

Prominent Liberal Party front bencher Sophie Mirabella is expected to lose her formerly safe liberal seat of Indi to an independent candidate. This is largely due to Mirabella's extreme conservative views and the high profile of the independent candidate - but still a surprising loss for the Liberal party faithful.

The Palmer United Party founded by eccentric mining tycoon Clive Palmer is expected to win the lower house seat of Fairfax and a possible two Senate seats putting the party in the powerful balance of power position in the Senate. In Western Australia the Sports party has won one Senate seat despite only receiving 0.2% of the primary vote due to preferences flowing from the other minor parties. The Australian Motoring Enthusiasts party has also won a seat in the Senate for the state of Victoria for similar reasons.

The key issue for the defeat of the Australian Labor Party has been disunity with the leadership. Following Kevin Rudd's resignation as Prime Minister, he and his supporters were constantly destabilising the Gillard Labor government and had been photographed in meetings with News Limited to assist them in that goal. Gillard faced 3 leadership challenges before losing to Kevin Rudd after some time. The clear verdict for the ALP is that disunity is death, and the 3 years of constant undermining of the ALP leader has done serious damage to the credibility of the ALP in the electorate. Unsurprisingly, it appears that now there is too much unity with potential leaders of the ALP all saying that they love the other candidate and that he/she would make a great leader - its quite hilarious to watch.

Several names have been suggested, Tanya Plibersek the former Health minister (my preferred option), Bill Shorten (Fmr Education Minister) is another option - however his credibility has been damaged due to his role in the various leadership changes. Antony Albanese, Chris Bowen and Wayne Swan are also all under consideration for the leadership.

The Governor General is expected to swear the Prime Minister and new cabinet in sometime next week once the seats still in contention have been finalised by the Australian electoral commission.

I must say I think Julia Gillard is kinda hot, if you're into mature stuff.

Now seriously, as a moderate leftist myself, and knowing Julia as a respected leader abroad I fail to find any important reason for this change. Is there truly an economical o social reason for that?

Interesting and good analysis of that election. We've heard a lot about it on the Fox News Network in the US (Murdoch owned, of course).

Oddly enough, Fox News in the US reports a lot of news on the English speaking Commonwealth nations.

Lennart:
I must say I think Julia Gillard is kinda hot, if you're into mature stuff.

Now seriously, as a moderate leftist myself, and knowing Julia as a respected leader abroad I fail to find any important reason for this change. Is there truly an economical o social reason for that?

I think the key issue was the polling that was released by the Murdoch papers that showed that Kevin Rudd was a lot more popular than Julia Gillard in Queensland. What they didn't factor in, was the home-girl popularity vote of Victoria and her popularity in South Australia compared to Kevin Rudd.

Romanoffia:
Interesting and good analysis of that election. We've heard a lot about it on the Fox News Network in the US (Murdoch owned, of course).

Oddly enough, Fox News in the US reports a lot of news on the English speaking Commonwealth nations.

People here are quite annoyed at Murdoch. He chose to give up his Australian citizenship but openly tries to influence the electorate. He is quite arrogant about it as well.

I still can't understand how popularity polls or disunity about the leadership can have such an importance. I tend to think it is more about media influence. But still...

Maybe I just wouldn't understand the way you Australians choose your leaders, since "we" chose a president who is hated by half his party, who never won a popularity poll (presidents are rarely rated as high as third parties leaders) and who's been constantly called a moron on tv. Constantly.

I expected you to tell there was an outstanding problem to be solved, strikes, turmoil, an upcoming war... Whatever. But disnutiy? popularity? ... Media?

Disunity has a big influence because we are not used to it. Rudd was gone and then Julia Gillard was Prime Minister and was being constantly undermined by Rudd and his backers. They had 4 leadership challenges before Rudd won the leadership again. People were sick of it. Enough was enough.

The opposition presented a united front and were considered to be able to provide a more stable leadership.

In the early days, I guess there was more disunity. We just had the same Prime Minister for 11 years. When the Labor Party was in power before there was a leadership change, but that was after 8 years of Prime Minister Hawke. People were okay with that. The recent leadership stuff has been really petty and over a very small space of time.

Well I wish you the best of lucks. Let's see what other TNPs think about this.

I hope this doesn't mean a social regression.

Back