Boston bomber cover of Rolling Stone

There is a big controversy today about the Boston bomber being on the cover of this month's issue of Rolling Stone. People are saying that the photo looks too glamorous and that the magazine is glorifying terrorism. It's no secret that RS is a left-leaning magazine, but the article inside isn't flattering, so I think the controversy is a bit overblown, just like the Paula Deen situation. I can't wait to see The Daily Show and Colbert Report tonight, they should have a field day with this.

schweizweld:
It's no secret that RS is a left-leaning magazine, but
I don't get how being 'left-leaning' (ie, wishy washy liberals) could imply the possibility they may choose to glorify terrorism. :P

"wishy washy" implies that one doesn't really feel that there are people in the world who really want to kill Americans. Or if there are those people, they are justified because of what America has done in the world.

I won't be supporting Rolling Stone.

I really don't see what the fuss is over a pic that also graced the New York Times front page. What, will we be boycotting them too?

The fact is that they essentially glorified this terrorist in their story and in the cover of the magazine, where instead they should be glorifying the 4 people who unfortunately died in the tragedy.

Great Bights Mum:
I really don't see what the fuss is over a pic that also graced the New York Times front page. What, will we be boycotting them too?
Man GBM, I thought you'd probably on this side of the moral compass.

But what Funk said...it seeking to glorify him. I asked someone the other day what they would think if someone did the same thing to the 9/11 terrorists.

I understand the desire to try to understand the mind of a monster, but you don't need to glorify that mind in the process.

Stephen Colbert talked about it last night, Rolling Stone has also featured Roman Polanski, O.J. Simpson and Charles Manson on the cover.

The cover of Rolling Stone wasn't an issue for me... The article that went along with it is so idiotically offensive that I sent a letter to the editors of Rolling Stone:

RE: "The Bomber: How a popular, promising student was failed by his family, fell into radical Islam and became a monster", by Janet Reitman

Dear Sirs, Madams or whatever you call yourselves.

I'm sitting on the toilet taking a shit right now with a copy of Rolling Stone which I assure you I will put behind me in a moment.

The article by contributing editor Janet Reitman, "The Bomber: How a popular, promising student was failed by his family, fell into radical Islam and became a monster", is a magnificent specimen of utter idiocy without parallel. Who are you going to glorify with your next apalogia? Hitler? Stalin? Mussolini? Fidel Castro? Attila the Hun?

I wonder if this little terrorist bastard had blown off a bomb right in front of your offices and took off a couple of Janet Reitman's limbs, would she have still written the same article?

Indignantly yours,

I'm a big fan of Rolling Stone magazine, but I think the Editor has been Rolling Bones with formaldehyde soaked dope.

The Canadian newspaper "The Globe and Mail" had a funny cartoon about the photo. It showed a picture of the magazine at the bottom of a birdcage and the bird said "there goes the neighborhood." I think it's a shame that many stores have banned the magazine because people are saying that the article about him is very good and impartial. Even in Canada, my Wal-Mart doesn't have it on their shelves. I hope my library gets a copy.

This whole situation reminds me of that old Dr. Hook song "Cover of the Rolling Stone." I saw them in concert in Eastern Canada around 2004.

schweizweld:
This whole situation reminds me of that old Dr. Hook song "Cover of the Rolling Stone." I saw them in concert in Eastern Canada around 2004.
As I noted in the link in my preceding thread! LOL!

Great minds think alike, eh? :shifty:

Back