What number of bills should be voted upon at any given time?

punk d

TNPer
-
-
Figured it may be worthwhile to see what the RA thinks about this issue. Do we need to restrict the number of bills up for vote at any one time? Feel free to explain your voting option below.

I voted No Limit. In my perfect world we can vote on multiple bills at once and not cause a catastrophic breakdown of our democratic process.

I'm not going to vote at this point - I'd rather have a discussion than a poll, so that people can consider various options.

I will say (again) that the current limit of two votes at a time is a measure intended to protect RA members from unwarranted removal. If the limit is any larger than three, it is quite likely that we will begin to see active and committed RA members stripped of their membership, and possibly of their other important government positions, merely for taking a short vacation - and that will throw a giant wrench into our ability to function.

Is there a reason for the change aside from Punk D wanting to inflict his, wonderful I'm sure, perfect world upon the RA? Is something wrong with voting on two bills only?

there was no option for "none". I believe that the RA should operate in a prayerful mode, and that all decisions should be made by the god Flemingovia.

Sanctaria:
Is there a reason for the change aside from Punk D wanting to inflict his, wonderful I'm sure, perfect world upon the RA? Is something wrong with voting on two bills only?
*comes in from skipping through the lollipop fields of his perfect world*

Ah, Sanctaria - never able to see the forest through the trees and too caught up in his own sense of hubris to just answer a simple question.

You don't have to vote and you didn't have to post. It's not like this poll is binding, legal, or anything more than a straw poll to get an idea of what the RA thinks.

So far, unless I'm impersonating 4 other people, not everybody wants a 'two bills' limit. And have you just not been paying attention in the RA the last two weeks?

Come on man, catch up!

I didn't vote yet. I'm with Silly. The 2 vote rule is a fix for the activity clause. We shouldn't just get rid of it unless we are revising the activity requirements. I wouldn't care to lose RA membership because I wandered off and missed a lot of votes in a short time. LoA requests aren't always practical. The last time I went missing was when one of my kids had to be hospitalized. By the time everything was back to normal, I was off the RA. I really wasn't thinking "Hey, I better post something before I get in the ambulance."

I voted 'no limit' because there is a way to prevent a log-jam of willy-nilly voting:

1.) create legislative periods of three weeks duration (Part A). During those two weeks, legislation is proposed, discussed, refined and presented in a final form for voting should it be moved to a vote. Remove the distinction between informal and formal discussion to compact the process.

2.) The fourth week (Part B of the process) in the calender month is dedicated to actual voting on bills that are moved to a vote.

3.) All items that are up for a vote are presented in a single ballot form in one thread. That is, you list the bills up for a vote and each RA member casts their votes on the respective bills in one post.

4.) Provide for 'emergency legislation' that bypasses the standard procedure at the discretion of the Speaker.

5.) Give the Speaker the discretion to not bring something to a vote at all. This discretion can be over-ridden by a 2/3rds majority of all RA members participating in an override vote.

I think 4 votes at a time would be about right. Maybe the length of the voting time could be extended by a few days so that people won't have to worry about missing votes and getting removed for inactivity.

Surely the simple and logical solution to the 'three vote limit' issue is to interpret/amend that as three voting 'periods', rather than three individual votes. That way as much legislation could be put to vote in the assembly at the same time as we want/need. Or link it to time (three weeks?) or any regular period rather than an arbitrary one that could be days or months depending on activity.

Back