Speaker Delegation Amendment Bill

r3naissanc3r

TNPer
-
-

1. The following is inserted in Article 2 of the Constitution of the North Pacific ,
8. The Speaker may appoint deputies to assist them in the execution of any of their powers and duties. Appointment of deputies may be regulated by law and the rules of the Regional Assembly.

This constitutional amendment is related to the Regional Assembly Rules Amendment Bill I submitted. It is an amendment necessary for one of the changes made to the RA rules.

You can read more about the proposed new set of RA rules in my second post in that thread. I quote from there the relevant part.

Currently it is unclear, to me at least, what exactly powers the Deputy Speaker can exercise. It has been argued in the past that, wherever the Legal Code uses the wording "office of the Speaker", the corresponding provisions are meant to also apply to the Deputy Speaker. Yet, it has also been pointed out that the Regional Assembly rules themselves provide evidence contradicting this argument. I believe it is better to legislate this explicitly, rather than rely on vague statements. Given the nature of the powers of the Speaker, all of administrative nature, I further believe it is appropriate to allow delegation of all of the Speaker powers to the Deputy Speaker. This, however, is not something that can be done through the Regional Assembly rules alone, and requires further amendments. For this reason, I will be introducing a parallel constitutional amendment to that effect shortly.

Has the clock begun on formal debate for this amendment? If so, I would like to move to proceed to a vote.

Formal debate has not yet begun - it will only do so once r3n himself motions for it. When that happens, there will be 5 days in which edits can be made to this amendment, and then two days in which it must receive a second.

Thank you for the clarification, SillyString! I suppose I should ask: do you support this amendment as written?

I do! I think it is quite important to clarify the position of deputies - their powers as well as their legal standing. R3n's amendment does that quite nicely for my own job.

I move that we vote on the following version. I will be requesting that the Deputy Speaker end the formal debate period on Monday morning, so that then a vote can be scheduled. Please state any last-minute concerns you have with this bill before that time.

See here for more details.

1. The following is inserted in Article 2 of the Constitution of the North Pacific,
8. The Speaker may appoint deputies to assist them in the execution of any of their powers and duties. Appointment of deputies may be regulated by law and the rules of the Regional Assembly.

This bill has now entered Formal Debate. Formal Debate will continue, at r3n's request, for three days, until the morning of July 8th, EDT. It will then have two days to acquire a second.

Back