Announcement: Suspension of Activities

Gaspo

TNPer
I will be asking the court to suspend the one outstanding trial, and will not be submitting additional charges to the court until an issue with the moderation team is sorted out. Our Bill of Rights requires public trials and protects individuals against the right to incriminate themselves while giving sworn testimony, but the moderation team's policies regarding the posting of chat logs and PMs takes things one step further, creating an environment in which I am only able, according to the forum rules, to submit a damning IRC log as evidence against an individual, if that individual consents to the submission of that evidence to the court, along with the individual who provided the chat log to me. This requirement for consent of both parties will be a complete bar to at least two soon to be forthcoming indictments, and substantially cripples my ability to actually prosecute cases under established law.

While I recognize that forum administration has a number of challenges to consider in making policy choices, the underlying reason this forum exists is to support the community and the government of The North Pacific. This policy substantially obstructs the furtherance of one aspect of this government's activities, and will hopefully be changed soon. Until then, however, I cannot in good conscience bring outstanding matters to trial.

Crushing Our Enemies:
Why not privately submit such evidence to the Justices and eventual defense counsel?
That would not be a public trial. The public would only see vague references to evidence, not the evidence itself.

mcmasterdonia:
Crushing Our Enemies:
Why not privately submit such evidence to the Justices and eventual defense counsel?
That would not be a public trial. The public would only see vague references to evidence, not the evidence itself.
This is the exact reason. The only circumstance permitted by law in which evidence may remain secret, is if it is classified as a state secret, and even then the law is not explicit on what should be done.

Back