Announcement: Investigation of Alleged Coup Solicitation

Gaspo

TNPer
The Office of the Attorney General hereby announces the commencement of a new investigation. Pursuant to information provided by the Executive branch, this Office will immediately begin investigating allegations that Solm approached Blue Wolf to offer support and enticement in an attempt to convince BW to agree to execute a coup within The North Pacific. Solm's statements raise new questions about the UDL's institutional involvement in the Ravania affair, so this investigation will be closely linked with the ongoing NPIA investigation of the Ravania matter. Blue Wolf's actions in this matter have been sanctioned as intelligence activities exempting Blue Wolf from criminal liability, by consent of Jamie and Kiwi, pursuant to Legal Code Chapter 1.8.20.

As this office lacks the explicit authority to compel either testimony or evidence production, this announcement serves the additional purpose of conveying a request for assistance. It falls to the citizens of The North Pacific, and concerned individuals across Nationstates, to come forward with any information they possess which may be even passingly related to this investigation. Any and all cooperation is greatly appreciated. Individuals concerned with issues of self-incrimination are encouraged to contact me privately to discuss possible solutions, up to and including immunity agreements. If there are any questions, I would be glad to address them. Thank you.

Below are substantial excerpts of a conversation between Blue Wolf and Solm, initiated by the latter. The redacted sections remain classified. This conversation took place on April 17th. Blue Wolf consented to the publication of these logs.
<Solm>: So, what would happen if we pushed you into the delegacy?
<Blue_Wolf>: I'd ban all the UDL forever
<Solm>:
<Solm>: Would you eject half the region?
<Solm>: Pretty please
<Solm>: And maybe a tarter with 100+ endos to take TRR?
<Blue_Wolf>: DO tell
<Solm>: ^ told
Solm is merely inquiring
<Blue_Wolf>: No, as in specifics. Now you have my interest
<Blue_Wolf>: So your real target is TRR, eh? Why?
<Solm>: No
<Solm>: real target is TNP
<Solm>: But why not get a TRR on the side too?
<Solm>: You have enough influence to kick out half the region.
<Blue_Wolf>: I do
<Solm>: It's easily possible for me to muster enough endos to put you into the delegacy.
<Solm>: You can eject enough endos on a tarter to take TRR.
<Blue_Wolf>: Yes, but why?
<Solm>: To take TNP and TRR.
<Blue_Wolf>: This is most unusual for the UDL
<Solm>: Who said it was the UDL?
<Solm>: They only do small intelligence things, Bw.
<Solm>: Like stealing NPA info.
<Solm>: This is not a task for the UDL.
<Solm>: Too overt.
<Blue_Wolf>: Seems legit.
<Solm>: So you were unwilling to coup TNP while you were delegate
<Solm>: Understandable
<Solm>: Are you willing to coup it now?
<Blue_Wolf>: So where would you be getting these numbers from if not the UDL
<Solm>: I think you'd have enough of an imagination.
<Blue_Wolf>: Indulge me
<Solm>: Trusted raiders can easily supply a great number of members.
<Solm>: as well as my own personal numbers who could hop on hopefully.
<Solm>: Enough to get the 40 or so you need.
<Solm>: And your a very influential man yourself.
<Solm>: It's quite possible.
<Blue_Wolf>: You're making the assumption that raiders would A) want to get involved in a feeder, most of them don't and B) they would follow the others of the UDL's newest leader.
<Blue_Wolf>: That's one hell of a leap of faith
<Solm>: They would want to coup TNP
<Solm>: And I'm not just UDL's newest leader, I'm Solm.
<Solm>: TNP and TRR in 12 hours?
<Solm>: We can ensure you survive any update liberation attempt
<Blue_Wolf>: You're not concerned that public opinion would turn against the UDL if word that they backed a coup in not one region but two were to get out?
<Solm>: The UDL need not be involved
<Solm>: Unless you would like that
<Solm>:
<Blue_Wolf>: Besides, why do you want to coup Fratt anyway? Isn't he your boy?
<Solm>: I'm just curious whether you would be interested
<Solm>: I'd like to have you be couping
<Blue_Wolf>: I'm suspicious is what I am.
<Solm>: Couping TRR would be a great next step.
<Solm>: I tried persuading someone to work with a Balder coup.
<Blue_Wolf>: How'd that go?
<Solm>: But they responded with: "A) want to get involved in balder, most of them don't "
<Solm>: But it would of been possible.
<Solm>: TNP + TRR. Balder next.
<Solm>: All together.
<Solm>: Perhaps Laz, TWP, TSP might be after?
<Blue_Wolf>: That *would* be one hell of a military operation.
<Solm>: Indeed.
<Solm>: Although taking TNP + TRR would not.
<Blue_Wolf>: You'd need to place someone in TNP who would be able to have more endorsements than TRR delegate
<Solm>: Which would be you.
<Solm>: Sorry
<Solm>: The tarter, yes.
<Solm>: TNP endo cap is 100, yes?
<Blue_Wolf>: No.
<Solm>: 80?
<Blue_Wolf>: It's technically whatever the vice-delegate has.
<Solm>: Oh well then easy
<Solm>: No need to sneak
<Solm>: Tarting to 100 isn't that hard in an active WA region like TNP.
<Blue_Wolf>: Indeed, B_Wolf did it in a day
<Blue_Wolf>: One of yours, by-the-by?
<Solm>: With a brand new nation doing so, influence would be minimal.
<Solm>: lol nah
<Solm>: My WAs are accounted for

<REDACTED>

<Solm>: But, tis besides the point.
<Solm>: What is the point is whether you want to coup TNP
<Blue_Wolf>: If you can show me you can actually get the numbers, why not
<Solm>: I can't get the numbers unless raiders can be convinced that you are serious.
<Solm>: You never couped while you were delegate
<Solm>: How can Mall, etc.. be convinced that you will seriously consider this?
<Solm>: Mall wanted to coup with you for a long time
<Blue_Wolf>: Oh, I know he did, he's stated for a while that if he ever got the delegate seat in TNP he'd coup pretty much immediately
<Solm>: Of course
<Solm>: You didn't do though
<Solm>: Despite everyone's plead
<Solm>: Will you now?
<Solm>: You need ~40 endos to get it.
<Solm>: 40 endos is possible.
<Solm>: As you know well.
<Solm>: For a mission as critical as this.
<Blue_Wolf>: Can I get a UDL promise that the new government I form after the coup will be recognized by the UDL and that the UDL will not oppose my rule in any way?
<Solm>: UDL doesn't recognize regions.
<Solm>: They won't be able to liberate you.
<Solm>: No defender will be able to organize a liberation and succeed, that I can ensure.

<REDACTED>

<Blue_Wolf>: Well, drifting off subject.
<Blue_Wolf>: When would this coup take place?
<Blue_Wolf>: and who would I be banjecting?
<Solm>: Enough time to plan, get some sleepers in place.
<Solm>: next weekend?
<Blue_Wolf>: Sure.
<Solm>: Only if you can convince raiders to do so.
<Blue_Wolf>: Oh?
<Solm>: I was trying to convince people to do it whether you said yes or no
<Solm>: Just for the lulz of putting you in the spot.
<Blue_Wolf>: Well, if you think the High Command of TBH will authorize a raid when Jamie is in the seat, you've got another thing coming, despite what Mall might say.
<Solm>: We'll have to see.
<Blue_Wolf>: TNI/LKE/Euro hate me much, due to an overblown misunderstanding.
<Solm>: Things can't be asked unless you are on board.
<Solm>: TNI/LKE/Euro don't have updaters.
<Solm>: Or not much.
<Solm>: Not enough to make a difference.
<Blue_Wolf>: They have some
<Blue_Wolf>: five or ten
<Solm>: How many updaters can LWU muster?
<Blue_Wolf>: 7 at most.
<Solm>: 7 will make up for TNI/LKE/Euro then
<Solm>: TNI could be convinced to participate if TRR is on the line too
<Solm>: I know Onder loves that place
<Blue_Wolf>: Oh, those regions could be convinced to come to TNP.
<Blue_Wolf>: If I'm not the one asking
<Solm>: Then that's fine.
<Blue_Wolf>: So you or someone acting for you would have to ask
<Solm>: What do you know of TUF, btw?
<Blue_Wolf>: Not much, never worked with them, only seen them about from time to time
<Solm>: They will have agents in TNP, I'm sure.
<Solm>: They've worked very closely with FRA intelligence.
<Blue_Wolf>: How can you be so sure?
<Blue_Wolf>: and are you implying FRA intel is in TNP?
<Solm>: Never sure
<Solm>: Only assumptions
<Solm>: And no
<Solm>: Not FRA
<Blue_Wolf>: but TUF?
<Blue_Wolf>: Gotcha
<Solm>: I only assume.
<Solm>: They are very underrated.
<Blue_Wolf>: Well I did see FRA Intel just got kicked out of some region or another
<Solm>: Ainur
<Solm>: They were probably just being lulzly, that was Falc
<Blue_Wolf>: Not at all surprised to see Falc was involved.
<Blue_Wolf>: He's the worst spy. >_<
<Solm>: With ABK being a bit overzealous, but he accomplished.
<Solm>: lol oh Falc
<Solm>: At least learn to use different IPs
<Blue_Wolf>: Right, well if we're going to do this, I don't want my fingerprints all over it until after it happens. So don't go throwing my name around to just anyone.
<Solm>: Of course not.
<Blue_Wolf>: Well I need to buy some food, we'll talk more about this later. What timezone are you in?
<Solm>: Central
<Blue_Wolf>: Ok, I'm Eastern, not too bad then
<Blue_Wolf>: See you around
<Solm>: Cya
Jamie edit: re-added logs in accordance with new policy.

Solm was not operating in any UDL capacity when in that conversation.

I am very concerned that the office of the Attorney General may be facilitating a climate where a witch hunt against upstanding, law abiding TNP members who are also part of the UDL, is likely to occur.

Edit: To be clear, this is in response to madjack's comments.

I go where the evidence leads me. In this case, Unibot's successor plainly states that the UDL conducts acts such as "stealing NPA info." An investigation into such matters focuses on individuals with ties to the UDL only to the extent that the evidence points us in that direction. If it leads elsewhere, that's where we'll go.

As to your oft-whispered allegations of a witchhunt, I've taken an oath which binds me to a good-faith execution of my duties - if you believe I've violated that oath, the Legal Code provides remedy through a Recall action in the Regional Assembly - I urge you to submit one if you believe it to be justified.

I would like it noted that I reported the above conversation in #tnp. And additionally, the second conversation from Blue Wolf were he tried to lure me and agreed to coup "after he found out I was serious" was also reported immediately to TNP authorities the moment he PM'd me.

Even though I am not a citizen, I take the security of TNP seriously. Every PM with BW was reported to #tnp, the former as trolling; the latter to TNP security in the slim case that silly BW was actually serious.

I find it sad that Blue Wolf went out of his way to try to lure the UDL Chief of the Band into a situation with TNP.

You did not report every PM to TNP. If so who did you report it to?

At most you alluded to the fact that you had given up on trolling Blue Wolf once he said yes, you did not share the conversation with me at any time. As far as I know, all you said to Eluvatar was that the conversation occurred, and that was when he approached you to ask you about what you had said to him about scripts.

Solm:
I find it sad that Blue Wolf went out of his way to try to lure the UDL Chief of the Band into a situation with TNP.

The United Defenders League has no authority to investigate our officials, and at the very least if that involves inciting them to coup it would be far better if you simply stayed our of our affairs. I find it very sad that you took it upon yourself to attempt to encourage a member of our Security Council to coup. You would not be in this situation if you had not acted as you have done. The fact that you had very similar conversations with Carta at that point, is just as damning.

Finally Blue Wolf was given permission to continue with his investigation of you by the Delegate and the Minister for Defence. it was because we found this conversation so concerning, that we deemed this necessary.

tl;dr. Blue Wolf acted appropriately. You are grossly exaggerating the extent that you informed TNP authorities of the situation - I don't think an off handed comment in an IRC channel would count as alerting authorities.

Gaspo:
I go where the evidence leads me. In this case, Unibot's successor plainly states that the UDL conducts acts such as "stealing NPA info."
In what is clearly an off-hand comment.

There is zero evidence that Ravania acted under the orders of any UDL official.

madjack:
Gaspo:
I go where the evidence leads me. In this case, Unibot's successor plainly states that the UDL conducts acts such as "stealing NPA info."
In what is clearly an off-hand comment.

There is zero evidence that Ravania acted under the orders of any UDL official.
If you have an actual question about this investigation, I will be glad to answer it. I have neither the time nor an inclination to engage in a debate with you. Legally speaking, whether a comment was made offhand or not is wholly irrelevant - what matters is if it is true. I hope to ascertain the truth of the statement, simple as that.

IMO, this isn't really the place to comment on how you feel about the allegations. Gaspo asked for help/evidence from people, so if you have some you should send it to him.

But it would be rather sad to see this go immediately to a "OMG THE UDL IS EVIL" "OMG YOU'RE PERSECUTING THE UDL" thread. Just sayin'

Solm just hates all of TNP. True story.

[16:21] <Solm> TNP is ebil
[16:21] <Solm> All of it is ebil

Kiwi:
Solm just hates all of TNP. True story.

[16:21] <Solm> TNP is ebil
[16:21] <Solm> All of it is ebil
I can confirm that this is true. Kiwi's evidence is one hundred percent accurate.

McM: I reported the leaked conversation with Blue Wolf posted above publicly in #tnp, I did not think it was worthy to leak the entire logs, but I did make it clear that I had trolled Blue Wolf by asking him to coup and stopped once he said yes, that was all made public. Secondly, the final PM with Blue Wolf which was not leaked here was reported immediately to Eluvatar in full, and I detailed everything that BW was saying to me while it occurred. I asked him to tell TNP such "on the off chance that he isn't just working for intel, but is actually serious."

Furthermore, my conversations with Blue Wolf that were leaked here were not some out of blue conversation, we had been in communication since the 10th of March when Blue Wolf initiated a PM. Couping TNP was joked about many times. I find it saddening that Blue Wolf only reported this one log once my position was in jeopardy due to Milograd and ripe for manipulation, and not the many times before when he stated he was planning to "make things interesting" and told me he had enough influence to massban half the region.

The coup that I was "pressuring" BW to conduct in this leaked PM was to coup TNP and make it a defender region, as stated earlier in PMs. If you think that I was not merely joking already, this should provide more evidence that it was a mere joke. I apologize that this has gotten this far, and I apologize for letting Blue Wolf get this far. But, I had no intention to coup TNP, just like I had no intention to coup TSP. If you are going to "investigate" everyone that has said they wanted to coup someone, then why is Mall not being investigated? Karp? Erastide? Todd? FriarTuck?

Because they aren't members of an organization that is currently being investigated for spying on the NPA, I imagine. Except FriarTuck I guess. I say call him in for questioning.

Back