NS Essay: Cabinet and Executive Idea and Theory

Cameron

TNPer
Cabinet and Executive Idea and Theory:
Cabinet Theory

NationStates is a Political Simulation game that people congregate and form governments, in attempts to make them work and run effectively. While this may be, government has shown to vary greatly from Region to Region. One thing I have observed in my travels are how cabinets in Parliamentary or Constitutional Monarchies tend to run. Cabinets in these regions act as one body running around and preforming tasks, and not attempting to assist the other cabinet members in this run. I have formulated a theory and a government type to present against this Cabinetry inability to function as one unit and as one unified body.

Stating the above, the current Idea I have thought of will be referred to as "Joint Council Constitutional Monarchy" as it is designed to work under a monarch or a region with a head of state separate from the head of the government. The principal point of this theory and idea is that the executive in general would act more in a council like fashion rather then cabinet running its motions almost independent from the Government. The objective of this idea is more of interdependence of the Ministries and the government to be able to communicate and work properly.

The actual Idea would work as follows. The Executive would become a branch consisting of the Prime Minister (Or other Head of Government) and his/her ministers, the Monarch(s), and a representative elected from the people. This representative will be referred to as the Frontman from now onward. Government would operate almost unanimously to accomplish tasks while the Ministers of each department would still operate their own ministry to the best of their ability. This would instill a sense of unity among the Cabinet and the government, as the Ministers work together to accomplish common Government goals and to further the region politically. The council would then come together and hold more of an Idea tossing table, where people throw ideas down on what to do, and then decide which ones should be undertaken. This council point gives the Monarch(s) the ability to put their opinion down and be able to decide how the region operates rather then just sitting back quietly.

The degree of democratic processes can be determined by the individual governments that would employ this idea. Some may have a council of just ideas. Others, might decide to make it a second democratic piece of the government. I see it working best as the former or with a little bit more authority of the former. Moreover, I believe that this idea can work if implemented properly and used to effectiveness of the Government. The Government must be mostly balanced for this idea to work, meaning one branch can not have more then another branch by significant margins. This would be more aimed at the parties involved in the Council then of ones that are not. Variations to the council could be made, to add things like Speaker of Parliament, Lord Chief Justice, Commander of the Armed Forces, ect.

Ministries, however, will still be able to accomplish tasks independent of the Council, but to the extent would be determined by the region deciding to take under this method or idea. Ministries should work in conjunction with one another to accomplish objectives no matter how differentiating the cabinet ministers or ministries they take command. For a generic example, the Culture Minister should assist the Internal Minister when called upon or asked, and vice-versa.

In conclusion, government under this system could change the face of a region and create a boom of unity and activity. The Joint Council Constitutional Monarchy" option pushes new ideas out of the cabinet and creates more of a sense of unity. Moreover, laws do not even need to be edited truly to accomplish this task in most regions. Just simple meetings to be held. This Government system could push forward a region, to a new height.

Back