TEP - TNP - Osiris 2013 Debate Contest

To Start: I've contacted your delegate, and he's okay with the idea of having this contest. Please write all submissions here. It's just a convenience for me so I don't have to check three threads at once, lol. This contest will be hosted on all three forums for maximum fun!

The sign-up thread will be open from now until about January 18th (or more if we need to fill up a few extra spots). To sign up, state your NS nation name and the region you're from. Anyone may sign up, but please only one entrant per person!

I'm also taking applications for judging. You may apply for both, but remember that judges cannot compete in the contest. Depending on how big this gets, I may recruit some judges to be organizers.

Here's some information on the contest at hand:

Format
Basically, this'll be tournament-style, meaning each round will consist of two people debating over a particular topic, then the next round will have the winners of the first round square off in pairs, then the winners there advance, etc. Not too difficult, right? Note: this does mean we can only have a total number of entrants that fit in exponents of two, like four, eight, sixteen, thirty two (doubt we'll get that much but still), etc.

Rounds will last for one week to give people ample time to respond, come up with good rebuttals, and the likes. Each debate will have two participants. The format for each debate will be as follows:

Person A: Opening arguments
Person B: Rebuttal
Person A: Counter argument
Person B: Counter argument
Person A: Closing statements
Person B: Closing statements

Each "post" must be no more than 750 words for the sake of brevity. Not too hard. Judges will declare a winner for each argument via a score sheet. Again, this will be done anonymously, and all judges have been assigned for this contest.

Debate Topics
Topics will include NS and non-NS topics, selected at random. Each debate will get a different topic. However, topics like abortion, euthanasia, religion, and any other controversial topics that have been either debated to death, can't really be debated, or might cause trouble due to being debated, will not be covered.

Where at?
This debate will take place over three forums, The East Pacific, The North Pacific, and Osiris. Head-to-heads will be selected at random to occur at different forums. So each round should have a little bit of action on each forum, except perhaps for the final round.

When?
Save this date: January 18th. That's when I'd like for all submissions to be over and done with. That'll give us a few days to get ready for this contest, start up a few rounds, and make a bracket. We'll start on the Sunday or Monday of that next week.

Awards
Will be given to the top three finishers in the form of forum badges. Participants will also get badges too (but they will be less swankier of course).

Hope to read your posts!

I got hit real hard at work and didn't have time this week to get things organized like I thought I would... so sign-ups will be extended until January 25th. Sorry for the inconvenience, but go ahead and sign up if you haven't yet!

Todd- I signed up on TEP's forums because I thought that was the place. Is that ok, or do you need me to reregister here? I'd just like to be a judge, if you still need that information.

Thanks again for coordinating!

Back