Tumblr/TNP Wire Issues

Romanoffia

Garde à l'eau!
We need to call a meeting on whether or not to continue using Tumblr for the TNP Wire. I say this because Tumblr suck. I mean it really sucks.

I have now, in the past couple of weeks, attempted to create no fewer than 20 accounts, none of which will log in under any circumstances. Most recently I created an account and then I had to reset the password every time I tried to log in which is a major pain in the arse. Before that, it would just kick me back to the login page without logging me in, forcing me to reset the password which would work only once, and thereafter it told me the email and/or password was invalid, and forcing me to try to create yet another account. There are also a number of security compromises involving registered users that my hardware firewall just can't get over (in the form of scripts, spyware, etc.,,,).

In other words, for some odd reason Tumblr cannot get its shit together to produce a site that will consistently work. Tresville and I had the same problem with Tumblr way-back-when, which is why we decided Tumblr was about as useful as tits on a boar hog.

At any rate, I'll investigate a number of free formats that we can just create multiple accounts and which people can submit articles (that can be approved before they are posted) and which we can permit moderated responses (to eliminate spam) in which legitimate users can comment without moderation.

Wordpress is a hell of a lot simpler than something like Blogspot and a hell of a lot more versatile in terms of customization, for example. It also lets people respond to items (if we set it up to do that) without having to go through the garbage of setting up an account.

But Tumblr is so cumbersome and unreliable that it needs to go. If needs be, I can buy a domain name and host it on my server, but Tumblr is a real PITA.

The point of using a third party service is that no one person is funding it, and the material in it will remain there even if all of us who are here today stop contributing.

If you want to switch back to blogspot, I have no real problem with that.

I don't understand why you can't set up and log into a tumblr account.

Eluvatar:
The point of using a third party service is that no one person is funding it, and the material in it will remain there even if all of us who are here today stop contributing.

If you want to switch back to blogspot, I have no real problem with that.

I don't understand why you can't set up and log into a tumblr account.
:agree:

Is this some sort of browser issue or something? I signed into my tumblr account once and never did so again.

I think you have a good idea, McM - just host the articles on the forum rather than an outside source. That would also encourage people to visit the forum via an RMB link rather than an outside source.

@ Elu - I tried effing around with Tumblr for two hours today. I can create an account, log into it once and after that I can't get into it other than by resetting the password, and that only works the first time. After that, I cannot get into tumbler unless I create yet another account. I am now up to 40 accounts, none of which I can get into, even by proxy server, someone else's computer and various operating systems on both. I've run into any number of people who have had the same problem. It seems to strike randomly.

I agree with McM - let's just host it on the forum (and perhaps archive it independently for the concerns you have) and have done with it. All of us know how the forum format works.

As a side note - we could also distribute the TNP wire as a 'subscription' email independently of the forum. Perhaps do it also as a PDF file with a magazine type format (cover and all). Think about that one - we could have a monthly 'magazine' in PDF format for people to view or download and do it in a way that it also covers items from every aspect in NationStates - sort of a NationStates Magazine for the entire game (with submitted items from everywhere).

For instance: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6996441/1/ as a basic idea. :P

I like that idea a lot. Another in game option to consider is that we post them as factbooks. I'm looking forward to seeing the coming installments of the TNP-Wire Roman.

Host them on forum.

Thats a possibility. Or else you could post it under your nation, or I could post it under mine.

Any updates on the next upcoming articles?

I'm working on a few as we speak, but I need basic reports from the various ministries for the general Regional Report. The TNP wire item/magazine should be going to press in a few days!

Never mind then. :duh:

I've held so many positions in the government I sometimes get confused as to who does what. :P

I'm thinking of an introductory initial offering called the "End of The World Issue" for the 21st (in deference to the end of the Mayan Calender). :lol:

You know, just to get the ball rolling before a complete offering on January 1 or thereabouts.

Back