Number harmonisation act.

Flemingovia

TNPer
-
-
It has come to my attention that many individual nations in the North Pacific use different nomenclature for large numbers, depending on their national dialect.

this is fine, and I would not wish us to infringe on their national sovereignty.

However, when we come together as a region, we need some standard system. When someone says "I want to bless Flemingovia a billion times" I do not know how many blesings I am receiving. This will not do.

Therefore, noting that the prefix bi- means "two", I propose that a "billion" should have, officially, twice as many zeros as a million. And noting that the prefix tri- means "three", i propose that a trillion should have three times as many zeros as a million, etc.

In short, I propose that the numbering system for the North Pacific as a region should recognise the following;

Number of zeros

3 thousand
6 million
9 milliard
12 billion
18 trillion
24 quadrillion
30 quintillion
36 sextillion
42 septillion
48 octillion
54 nonillion
60 decillion
120 vigintillion
600 centillion
infinite - 1 Flemingovillion

And let's not have any silliness about "googolplexes". Any number that big is defined in terms of the infinity of Flemingovia.

The above system is logical and should make sense of all the discussions we have around numbers once and for all.

Please adopt this, before it is too late and the region crumbles to dust.

Very British in terms.

Americans will be confused by million as 10^6 which traditionally is hundreds of thousands and will go absolutely bonkers at a milliard.

Given the confusion it will cause, I will support your bill.

I also think that there should be a rider added that requires everyone to use proper and traditional British Orthography in terms of spelling. For example, anyone using "center" instead of "Centre" should be tagged a heretic. It has also been communicated to me that the Cheese God concurs with your position and my orthography position.

"Ought" words should be strictly enforced.

though: /o?/ as in toe; (other examples: dough)
tough: /?f/ as in cuff; (other examples: rough, enough)
cough: /?f/ as in off; (other examples: Gough (name, some pronunciations))
hiccough (a now uncommon variant of hiccup): /?p/ as in up; (unique)
plough: /a?/ as in cow; (other examples: sough, drought, bough, and the name Doughty)
through: /u?/ as in blue;
nought: /??/ as in caught; (other examples: ought, sought, thought, brought)
lough: /?x/ with a rough breathing sound like the ch in loch

Australians, Kiwis and Canadians will be given exemptions just because.

Americans from south of the Mason Dixon line should know British Orthography if they are over 40 years old and therefore will find it easy to comply.

And, just for good measure, the letter "Y" should be banned for arbitrary reason.

9 milliard

Sorry, this sounds like a name of a duck, not a set of numbers.

I think this is asking for a greater level of confusion, not less. And for the record, NS goes from million to billion without milliards, I might add.

Well this is amusing. Extremely silly but I'll give you an A+ for entertainment value alone.

I think we should amend this bill to read:

Number of zeros

3 Uni
6 Blue Wolf
9 Quacking Mallardium
12 Daffy Duckum
18 Great Bights Mumium
24 Eluvatarium
30 Timiumardiduckquack
36 Cheese
42 Big Cheese
48 Really big Cheese
54 Stilton
60 Stinking Bishop
120 My feet after three days in a set of custom Dehner Riding Boots covered in Horsey-pooium
600 Romanoffia
infinite - 1 Romanoffia is the official Intergalactic Douchebag of the North Pacific-ium

And the letters Y and X will be banned from the forum for good measure. :P

Updated Number Harmonization lists:

Number of zeros

3 Uni
6 Blue Wolf
9 Quacking Mallardium
12 Daffy Duckum
18 Great Bights Mumium
24 Eluvatarium
30 Timiumardiduckquack
36 Cheese
42 Big Cheese
48 Really big Cheese
54 Stilton
60 Stinking Bishop
120 My feet after three days in a set of custom Dehner Riding Boots covered in Horsey-pooium
459.276931 Scadigradiatumiea
600 Romanoffia
infinite - 1 Romanoffia is the official Intergalactic Douchebag of the North Pacific-ium

flemingovia:
And let's not have any silliness about "googolplexes". Any number that big is defined in terms of the infinity of Flemingovia.
*Iro slams the bill down on Fleming's desk

This is UNACCEPTABLE! Checkerian number system fully embraces the googolplex, because even though an uninformed slob like you might not know it, googolplex is important!

A googolplex is the number 10googol, i.e. 10(10100)
Nonsense about googolplexes?!?!? They're ESSENTIAL! I refuse to adopt this system until you come to your senses.

Iro: If the number googol and googleplex means that much to you, i will concede that issue.

Roman: This numbering sytem is British? I had not noticed. It just seemed logical that Billion would have double the number of zeros as a million, Trillion would have three times, and so on.

Naming numbers after people .... no, I do not think so. It gives no logical frameword for a naming system. As Abbey has said, there is too much frivolity and lack of seriousness in TNP. This issue needs serious and sober attention.

flemingovia:
"Roman: This numbering sytem is British? I had not noticed. It just seemed logical that Billion would have double the number of zeros as a million, Trillion would have three times, and so on."
It's essentially the same numerical harmonization used by the German Empire and essentially still in effective use by economists.

Oddly enough, if you look into the legal codes of any number of countries you will find legislative acts or edicts involving numerical harmonization.

For example:

In French and German usage, one milliard equals 10^9=1,000,000,000.

American usage does not have a number called the milliard, instead using the term billion to denote 10^9. British usage, while formerly using "milliard," has in recent years adopted the American convention (Mish 2003, p. 852). This constitutes a fortunate development for standardization of terminology, albeit a somewhat regrettable development from the point of view that the (former) British convention for representing large numbers is simpler and more logical than the American one."

Hence a Milliard has become one billion.

In older texts on economics in the UK, you will find a billion is actually called 'One Thousand Million" and there are a lot of other odd harmonization terms that would leave most people today utterly lost.

numericalharmonization.png

Source: Large Numbers

To try and put these numbers in perspective and why perhaps it is best not to even think about a googol or a googolplex:

If you counted every individual molecule of water in every single drop of rain that ever fell... Even if it was falling at the heaviest recorded rate of rainfall over the entire surface of the earth uniformly and continuously for the estimated duration of the existence of the universe since the big bang... that would be less than 1058 which is nowhere anywhere close approaching a googol.

Haor Chall:
*head explodes*
Now that's taking "let me give you a piece of my mind" too literally. :lol: :P

@ Chasmanthe - Speaking of big numbers and oddball statistics/trivia, here's a real interesting statistical fact:

If the human race has been around for a million years, then 7/8ths of everyone ever born is still alive. :unsure: :blink:

Romanoffia:
Haor Chall:
*head explodes*
Now that's taking "let me give you a piece of my mind" too literally. :lol: :P

@ Chasmanthe - Speaking of big numbers and oddball statistics/trivia, here's a real interesting statistical fact:

If the human race has been around for a million years, then 7/8ths of everyone ever born is still alive. :unsure: :blink:
That is real interesting statistical fact :-D

On a similar vein I figured that NS populations are a bit high because they count the dead people in the totals as well as living.

Back