St George

RolePlay Moderator
-
-
-
-
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Do TNP's embassies in other regions count as TNP territory... and would the TNP legal code therefore apply to them?

Govindia:
madjack:
Do TNP's embassies in other regions count as TNP territory... and would the TNP legal code therefore apply to them?

Yes. That's pretty much standard diplomatic protocol. An embassy is a region/country's territory.
I wasn't aware of this thread until it was pointed out to me, but the answer is not correct.

While embassies are the territory of the entity that established it, and that is the general rule, the question of extraterritoriality is a different one. TNP has not adopted the concept of extraterritoriality as part of its law, and the only way I know of is for it to have taken place as part of a treaty to establish embassies or diplomatic relations in general. It is not something that is part of TNP law.

But surely Sedition committed in #tnp is prosecutable?

And why wouldn't Fraud be?

And of course, Conspiracy to Treason...

Different issue. The Equilism question has to do with jurisdiction over "somewhere" that isn't TNP, not a question of an act being criminal or not.

If Govindia impersonated a government official while in TNP in game or on these forums or the IRC channels traditionally associated with TNP, the question of jurisdiction wouldn't be an issue. Just whether a crime was committed.

Grosseschnauzer:
Different issue. The Equilism question has to do with jurisdiction over "somewhere" that isn't TNP, not a question of an act being criminal or not.

If Govindia impersonated a government official while in TNP in game or on these forums or the IRC channels traditionally associated with TNP, the question of jurisdiction wouldn't be an issue. Just whether a crime was committed.
I didn't impersonate anyone! OMG. :headbang:

Grosseschnauzer:
Govindia:
madjack:

Yes. That's pretty much standard diplomatic protocol. An embassy is a region/country's territory.
I wasn't aware of this thread until it was pointed out to me, but the answer is not correct.

While embassies are the territory of the entity that established it, and that is the general rule, the question of extraterritoriality is a different one. TNP has not adopted the concept of extraterritoriality as part of its law, and the only way I know of is for it to have taken place as part of a treaty to establish embassies or diplomatic relations in general. It is not something that is part of TNP law.
I don't quite understand this. So if somewhere is specifically named as being TNP's, endorsed by TNP's sitting government and is clearly associated with TNP it isn't covered by TNP law?

That logic permits what is essentially a free reign to say whatever is allowable within admin permitted limits in TNP embassies.

He may have posted in out embassy, but under their forum rules.

It's no different than someone posting in their embassy on our forums; our laws may not apply, but our forum moderation rules and procedures apply.

I'm also a pit peeved that Tim thought it necessary to post that particular update in our embassy. It is not government news, and an embassy is no joking matter. It is not an issue for Equilism/balder to move the thread. Rather I would hope that in future, such matters are not posted in our embassy's. Particularly when they do not actually reflect government news or activities.

I know.. but you can hardly post a joking matter in an embassy, and then have issues with how an individual responds (also in a joking manner). Also expecting an official government apology, for a thread, that was not officially condoned by our government, seems a little odd to me.

mcmasterdonia:
I know.. but you can hardly post a joking matter in an embassy, and then have issues with how an individual responds (also in a joking manner). Also expecting an official government apology, for a thread, that was not officially condoned by our government, seems a little odd to me.
I agree.

If anything, the only person that should be punished here for this diplomatic faux pas is Tim not myself. He is in the complete wrong here and should be the one penalised in both regions.

I should be penalized?

I don't see how my posts did any actual harm. They were obviously satirical in nature, and did bring a nice level of activity to our embassies.

Granted... maybe I should have put a disclaimer noting that it was a joke, but I believed it to be fairly self-explanatory.

Tim:
I should be penalized?

I don't see how my posts did any actual harm. They were obviously satirical in nature, and did bring a nice level of activity to our embassies.

Granted... maybe I should have put a disclaimer noting that it was a joke, but I believed it to be fairly self-explanatory.
Which brings back to my point about hypocrisy.

Someone other than myself makes a joke and no one gets penalised. I make a joke and I get the book thrown at me while Eluvatar holds me down and throws me under the bus.

Yea, you're the ambassador and this was an unsanctioned post in our embassy. This was out of line. Recall motion going up very shortly. I'm sick of this bloody double standard.

My point being is that if the thread in question is a joke, people can reasonably expect a joking answer in response. However, like GBM said on the other thread, it is not the audiences fault if the joke causes offence.
I'm simply saying Tim, that the embassy's are for official government business, and that I would advise that we do not post such things again to prevent a similar circumstance

Back