[DRAFT] Biomedical Trade & Treatments

Here's my third proposed replacement. It's undergone a lot of changes from my first (seriously, terrible) draft to the present incarnation. Obviously, comments and suggestions are welcome.

BIOMEDICAL TRADE & TREATMENT
Category: Free Trade | Strength: Mild | Submitted by: Mousebumples

Description:
THE WORLD ASSEMBLY:

BELIEVES that all individuals in WA member nations should have access to first class medical care.

UNDERSTANDS that not all nations may have access to the same technology to offer the most advanced treatments.

LEGALIZES Biomedical Treatments within WA member nations, which shall include:
1. Stem cell research, stem cell harvesting, and stem cell donation.
2. Donation and transfusion of blood and blood products, such as platelets and plasma.
3. Organ harvesting and transplantation.

GRANTS nations the authority to regulate the research and use of stem cells within their own borders except as otherwise specified by this legislation and extant international law.

REQUIRES:
1. The uncoerced, informed consent of each donor and/or legal guardian, per national law, prior to any donation and/or harvesting of stem cells, organs, blood, or blood products.
2. That the harvesting and/or donation of stem cells, organs, blood, and blood products be conducted in a safe and sterile environment in a humane manner.
3. The uncoerced, informed consent of each potential recipient and/or legal guardian, per national law, for any treatment with stem cells, organs, blood, or blood products.

ORGANIZES the Biomedical Database through the Universal Library Coalition, through which member nations can engage in the sale and trade of surplus stem cells, organs, blood, and blood products.

OUTLAWS the unauthorized sale and trade of stem cells, organs, blood, or blood products, or “Biomedical Trafficking,” within all WA Member nations.

ALLOWS for individuals to engage in medical tourism, in which they are permitted to travel to another nation for medical treatments not available in their own nation.

CLARIFIES that the aforementioned medical tourism practices are subject to the visa requirements of the host nation, in accordance with extant and future international law.

ENCOURAGES all WA member nations to create and utilize a Biomedical Treatment Database, to compile information regarding:
1. Tissue typing of blood, blood product, organ, and bone marrow transplant volunteers to facilitate quicker matching of donors and recipients.
2. List of willing organ donors, in the event of an incident which renders them “brain dead.”

RECOMMENDS that all donors and recipients undergo blood and/or tissue typing in order to minimize the risk of rejection with transplantation, unless a compelling medical rationale exists to avoid any such delays.

FORBIDS all WA member nations from using facilities outside the territory of WA member nations for the purposes of evading compliance with this resolution.

Thanks again!

Eluvatar:
What's happened to this one?
I'm still drafting this one. Something doesn't "feel right" to me, and I didn't want to rush it to submission since I'll probably end up making some more edits yet. It's not dead or discarded or anything - just delayed a bit more. The other proposals, I felt, were more straightforward.

Back